Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary Observers Story  (Read 4293 times)

Iyiyt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Legendary Observers Story
« on: October 17, 2019, 07:34:07 pm »

So my dwarfs recently had an uninvited guest in the form of a bronze colossus knocking at the front door. I had planned to only set the military loose to attack the thing, but like all the best-laid plans of wererats and dwarves things quickly fell apart. Somebody happened to drop their mug as they passed through the front door, jamming it open. Seeing the opportunity for a bit of Fun, the entire population of my fortress followed them out and decided to engage the colossus with little more than their bare hands and a couple socks. Luckily, the armed portion of my rabble managed to take down the colossus after only a couple dozen dwarven children got punted. However, after the battle I noticed that literally almost every dwarf in my fort was now a legendary observer. Is this a glitch of some kind or did repeatedly punching a giant bronze monstrosity give my dwarfs the incredible insight to observe that it wasn't really doing much?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Observers Story
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 01:52:09 am »

Yes.

You can do similar things without a bronze colossus by having your military spar near people you want to become observers (though you might want to exclude your scholars if you don't want naturalists when doing this). Though the growth will not be as fast on account of less combatants.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 05:48:43 am »

- I observe that punching the bronze colossus shattered every bone in my arm.

- Legend!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 01:11:57 am »

More like "I observed that a steel ax does more than dent a bronze colossus. Many steel axes chew them up."