Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: The History of a Tribe: Year 3 Summer (Turn 38): Glory, Controversy, Death  (Read 29317 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile

I've been thinking about this idea for quite a while now. I've always liked history, and I've also always enjoyed the interesting stories that can develop from these forum games. In particular, SPAMKINGDOM has been a forum game I have consistently come back to every few months, despite my inactivity everywhere else, because it is set in a roughly medieval fantasy world and I find the idea of it appealing. Another forum I was very interested in before it's death was Lord_lemonpie's Tribes of the White Sea, since it featured a simple map, interesting mechanics and an enjoyable roleplaying experience, though it didn't last very long. Wanting to make a forum game since it's been just over three years since I first joined this glorious mess, I decided to set up a sort of test forum game to see if their's much interest in my idea. I have a number of ideas for future game mechanics for this, but I don't want to waste time on something people don't fully enjoy and will probably implement them gradually as time progresses.

Spoiler: An explanation (click to show/hide)

So, with that out the way, it's time to decide your start. This will be one of the few pick a choice decisions, to allow me to have some level of cohesion and planning behind the overall story.

Where is your tribe?
A: A forest at the base of a lonely mountain with a stream running close by and a mountain in the distance. Pros: Wild animals, strong fighters resistant to damage, difficult to attack and 'advanced' stone spears and arrows. Cons: Wild animals, slow movement through forest terrain, limited building space and eyes in the night.
B: High up on a mountain, in a natural cave that goes deeper into the mountain than most. There's a forest in the distance down below the mountain and a river too long for you to see the end of it. Pros: Delicious cave plant life, shiny rocks, very difficult to conquer and eagle eye view of all around. Cons: Few animals, fear of the forest, an unexplored cave and whispers in the dark.
C: In a wonderful river valley with tall mountains seemingly guiding the river onward. You can see a lonely mountain from one end of the river valley. Pros: Abundant food, large tribe, farming, basic hierarchy already established. Cons: A sheltered life, fear of the outside, complacent people and a nearing ringing.

Feel free to ask any questions and I hope you enjoy whichever choice you pick - I know I will! :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:15:07 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 04:34:45 am »

B

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 04:36:56 am »

C

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 05:09:05 am »

C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:19:49 am »

B

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 12:58:11 pm »

B. Perhaps we'll be the first dwarves?

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:21:48 pm »

B
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 04:04:25 pm »

B
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 04:09:08 pm »

C

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 0 Spring
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 06:03:49 am »

Chosen Option:B

(4) Your father died after a period of bleeding gums 7 moons ago after leading for 120 full turns of the moon that saw the continued growth of your tribe. After the traditional 7 moon mourning period, the tribe came together and chose to continue your old line's dominance over the tribe and elected you to the position of leadership over your fellow tribe members. You are now in charge of a tribe of about 100 men and 100 women, with a significant number of those well suited to combat and the army's main limiter being a lack of weapons. Your tribe is somewhat technologically advanced in some areas, having a simple established numerical system where every 1 is represented by a . and every 10 is represented by a _, that being an improvement made by your father when he couldn't be bothered to make each dot individually. Your people also have a 'language' based on drawing simple images and spears to point at things, with this and the numerical system all being done by the sacred white rocks of the priests, the only rocks capable of painting such images. Otherwise, your people have figured out how to tie sharp rocks to strong sticks with with plant fibre to make somewhat basic short or long spears and picks, depending on which direction they have the sharp end face. Finally, your people have figured out which plants are safe to eat and which plants contain evil spirits out to annihilate your people - an important thing to understand since there is abundant plant life the deeper in the cave you go.

Otherwise, your tribe is fairly primitive. There are no beds, only basic leather and wool clothing for the people who contribute the most to the tribe. You have no true housing, only a wall of logs painstakingly cut down from the edge of the forest, moved up the mountain and jammed between the roof and floor of the cave entrance, leaving a gap roughly 2 people wide to exit and enter through - a massive project taken during your father's reign to protect against the horrific beasts of the forest. Evil spirits possess the animals of that forest, twisting them into horrifying monsters with gnarled limbs, and some say that a cursed people are trapped within the forest, doomed to suffer from these spirits for all eternity. The eldest of your tribe, the last of the original Word-Carver shamans, often describe the horrors they dealt with during the great migration to the forest, which they believed would be a blessed place to live within, and says that this ramshackle mountain home and a third of your tribe's original number is all that remains of those dreams.

Suffice to say, many of your tribe refuse to travel into the forest - it took all of your father's convincing and beating skills to get them to take down a few trees at the edge of the forest, and that took much of his reign to do. Hauling trees up a mountain is very difficult, as it turns out.

(5) But you're different, aren't you? While many of the tribe's people are afraid to venture into the forest and many didn't even want to go deeper into the cave, you are much more Brave than them. You understand when taking a risk won't give you an advantage, but you're also entirely willing to take risks for a greater advantage. You're also quite Intelligent compared to the rest of your people and, though you've never said it for fear of angering them, you understood the art of word-carving before the Word-Carvers actually taught you it. You realised that the monsters of the forest were only reported quite deep in the forest and supposedly only attacked when it was dark, so you made sure your big stick-light was lit for the 2 moons you once spent there to prove your bravery.

You were also one of the first to explore the deeper levels of the cave, taking a few men, equipping them with stick-lights  and leading multiple expeditions into the cave, each time going deeper than the last. The cave seems to widen the deeper you go, the single long tunnel expanding into a cavern at the end. The entirety of the cavern surfaces are covered in delicious plant life and some plants even lend themselves quite well to tying things together. Sadly you have not been able to travel further, as the stick-light you threw down the hole in the centre of the cavern went so deep that you couldn't see it, even though you could of sworn that the vines coming out of the hole were in the right position for the stick-light to land on a bump further down. Your people do not seem to care about this, however, and these days they spend more and more of their time gathering the delicious plant live in the cavern and piling it into the corners of the entrance cave. A few people occasionally claim that they can hear something whispering to them when they're alone deep in the cavern, but these people also just so happen to be the people who dislike you and have a very good reason to try and downplay your achievements with such unfounded lies. You made sure to give them a good beating to get them back in line.

(94)Finally, there's the many shiny rocks than only seem to grow more abundant the deeper you go into the mountain. The cavern of plant life also seems to hide many beautiful rocks underneath the layers upon layers of juicy foods and easily twistable fibres. Until recently they were used as decorations for the chief and other figures who contribute a lot to the tribe, but you accidentally made an important discovery when bashing these shiny rocks together as a young child. While you accepted your beating as a reasonable reaction to such reckless actions with these rocks, you also never forgot how the blue rock shattered the others it was smashed against. Today, as your first action, you have had all of these blue rocks rounded up, giving other rocks to their owners as replacements, and tested these rocks against a few of your own shiny rocks and some dull rocks. You found that, upon close inspection, the blue rocks seemed to send something blue into things it was smashed against with force, and that the blue light then seemed to burst outwards from the rocks, shattering them. These rocks seem like they could be useful, maybe the shamans could explain them?

Oh, and you still have yet to choose a title. You personally find them silly, but it is tradition for a chief to take a title hinting at what sort of chief he wants to be. Your father took the title 'Mountain-Chief' upon the people's insistence, as they wanted to make sure he would not try and force them into the forest once he had them on it's outskirts. You could take your own title, as there is no pressure upon you to choose any one specifically, but you could also follow in your father's footsteps and take the title of 'Mountain-Chief', maybe with something else added on to avoid confusion.

So, What are you going to do? Issues of immediate importance are which title you want to choose and what to do with these shiny blue rocks, but you can also give your people some tasks to do in the meantime if you so desire, as many have little to do now that they have a large stockpile of food. Maybe you could have them make more tools or start an above-land expedition?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 08:35:19 am »

As interesting as the rocks are, I think the twisted fibers have the greatest immediate potential. It sounds like we use them to lash two other things together. That's a good start.

How long and how thick can a thread/cord/rope be made? What about tying multiple cords to each other with spaces in between, thus inventing nets?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 08:57:18 am »

Experiment with the blue rocks from a safe distance. Push a boulder off of a ledge onto one to see what happens under a stronger impact.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 05:46:22 pm »

Experiment with the blue rocks from a safe distance. Push a boulder off of a ledge onto one to see what happens under a stronger impact.
+1
We shall be called Explorer Chief.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2019, 07:01:05 pm »

As interesting as the rocks are, I think the twisted fibers have the greatest immediate potential. It sounds like we use them to lash two other things together. That's a good start.

How long and how thick can a thread/cord/rope be made? What about tying multiple cords to each other with spaces in between, thus inventing nets?
What do we need nets for?

Take the title of Maker-Chief.
We have plenty of food inside the cave. We should spend our time crafting tools and weapons, and finding new things to make with the plant fibers. Our shamans should work to figure out more about the blue rocks.
Tools are a priority, and the luxuries of clothes and beds should keep people happy. Blue rock spears should be very useful against armor, if we can figure those out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22