Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: The History of a Tribe: Year 3 Summer (Turn 38): Glory, Controversy, Death  (Read 29315 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 0 Spring
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 07:59:36 pm »

What do we need nets for?

We should spend our time crafting tools and weapons, and finding new things to make with the plant fibers.

Answered your own question: nets are a weapon and a tool. They lead into some kinds of trapping, possibly fishing, fine enough mesh can carry more than hands can, they are a possible first step in cloth weaving. Possibly even hammocks, who knows? Why wouldn't we want nets?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 08:02:09 pm »

As interesting as the rocks are, I think the twisted fibers have the greatest immediate potential. It sounds like we use them to lash two other things together. That's a good start.

How long and how thick can a thread/cord/rope be made? What about tying multiple cords to each other with spaces in between, thus inventing nets?

Take the title of Maker-Chief.
We have plenty of food inside the cave. We should spend our time crafting tools and weapons, and finding new things to make with the plant fibers. Our shamans should work to figure out more about the blue rocks.
Tools are a priority, and the luxuries of clothes and beds should keep people happy. Blue rock spears should be very useful against armor, if we can figure those out.
+1

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 08:09:09 pm »

We should spend our time crafting tools and weapons, and finding new things to make with the plant fibers.

Answered your own question: nets are a weapon and a tool. They lead into some kinds of trapping, possibly fishing, fine enough mesh can carry more than hands can, they are a possible first step in cloth weaving. Possibly even hammocks, who knows? Why wouldn't we want nets?
I could have worded that better. Eventually trapping or fishing would be good, but we have lots of food for now, and so trying to focus on nets first turn doesn't feel like the best option.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 10:36:51 pm »

So, after re-reading the update I think I might have underestimated our technological prowess – it says we have wool clothes for some of the top tribe members, which I originally read as unscraped hides. A mistake I made because in my head I associate wool thread/yarn with the obviously more recent use of spinning wheels; now I'm no longer certain exactly what technology we have in terms of textiles other than it's apparently rare.

If the tribe already knows the principles (if not widespread practice) of spinning and cloth making then my enthusiasm for nets as a springboard toward those technologies is misplaced. I would be willing to go for basketry instead, which is not mentioned as a tool and better for storage and mobility than simply piling everything in the corner. It ought to be relatively straightforward to make baskets out of any woodier cave plants and/or pouches out of the softer ones. (Make pouches large enough, stuff in still more plants, and we have mattresses as an included development. 8))

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 10:39:13 pm »

So, after re-reading the update I think I might have underestimated our technological prowess – it says we have wool clothes for some of the top tribe members, which I originally read as unscraped hides. A mistake I made because in my head I associate wool thread/yarn with the obviously more recent use of spinning wheels; now I'm no longer certain exactly what technology we have in terms of textiles other than it's apparently rare.

If the tribe already knows the principles (if not widespread practice) of spinning and cloth making then my enthusiasm for nets as a springboard toward those technologies is misplaced. I would be willing to go for basketry instead, which is not mentioned as a tool and better for storage and mobility than simply piling everything in the corner. It ought to be relatively straightforward to make baskets out of any woodier cave plants and/or pouches out of the softer ones. (Make pouches large enough, stuff in still more plants, and we have mattresses as an included development. 8))
+1 for baskets.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 10:40:27 pm »

+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 04:10:03 am »

+1
+1 Basket time!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 0 Spring (Turn 2)
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 04:14:33 am »

How long and how thick can a thread/cord/rope be made? What about tying multiple cords to each other with spaces in between, thus inventing nets?
(5) After some experimentation, you believe you have figured out how to tie a rope using the fibres, as well as some more about the fibres themselves. The fibres seem to vary in thickness, being anywhere from as thick as your thumb to as thick as your hand. The bulbous fruits you often eat seem to be connected to these fibres, with the larger fibres splitting into smaller fibres with more fruits hanging from them. As for making a rope or cord, you are able to slowly twist some of the smaller fibres into something better, thick enough to comfortably fit in your hand and strong enough to hold your weight hanging from a tree branch for some time. At least, the tree branch broke before the rope did, so you're pretty confident that the rope is superior.

You tried searching for the smallest fibres you could and tying them together to form some sort of multi-rope thing, but the fibres are too thick. You can make a criss cross pattern with the fibres, but you're not able to tie them together properly and you're pretty sure you need something thinner to do anything with this idea. In short, these fibres make good ropes but remain otherwise inferior to the cords your people use for clothing and weapon/tool making. That cord is made out of certain plants found around the mountain that are similar to these fibres, but considerably thinner and easier to use for tying things together. Maybe you could make something out of that?
Experiment with the blue rocks from a safe distance. Push a boulder off of a ledge onto one to see what happens under a stronger impact.
(2) After a good sleep and a hearty meal of delicious bulbous plants, you take one of your blue rocks and spend some time looking for a good ledge with a boulder nearby. And then some more time. And then some more time. And then you see a good steep ledge and a big boulder, but the big boulder is too far away. So you go to sleep, wake up, return and spend most of the next day slowly moving that boulder to the ledge without causing a big-rock-fall... only to miss the blue rock considerably when you send the boulder hurtling down there.

May the spirits damn that boulder.
We shall be called Explorer Chief.
Take the title of Maker-Chief.
We have plenty of food inside the cave. We should spend our time crafting tools and weapons, and finding new things to make with the plant fibers. Our shamans should work to figure out more about the blue rocks.

(3)You decide to take some time off after the boulder incident, spending a few days simply getting your people to stick to a work schedule. They're not very happy about it, some even complaining that this is unnecessary when they have so much food, but no one resists the notion of work enough that you have to beat them. You send most of your people to the area around the mountain that's not quite mountain but not quite forest, where you have them search for those fibres you use to tie things together. You also get some of your smarter people to begin testing the fibre's different uses on their own. Meanwhile, you bring the blue rocks to the shamans, who announce their intention to spend some moons conversing with the spirits, so that they might reveal the nature of the rocks to your people. Production is going well, you already have a single new spear!

You also contemplate what sort of chief you're going to be during this time. You have until a full turn of the moon to decide, and you're still not sure what to choose. On the one hand, you want to explore the surrounding world and reveal all of it's secrets to you and your people. On the other hand, you want to make new things that can be used to help the future of your people. Both of these are beneficial, and it is generally expected of a Chief to choose a name which will define his decisions in the future...

Intelligent/Brave Activation: Wait, that's it! There's no rule saying that you only have to choose one name, but it is frowned upon to choose a name vague enough to allow you to do more than you should. There's also no rule saying you can't choose two defining features for your name, only higher expectations of someone bold enough to do so. Much would be expected of you should you choose two names, but you would also be respected more for working harder, maybe even setting an example for your people to follow instead of sleeping and eating the many fruits you have - and you are confident that you can rise to the challenge. It's decided, then. Your title as chief will be Maker-Explorer-Chief, as you are determined to reveal secrets of all kinds to your people!

Sorry for the confusion, but when I say 'wool' clothing I literally mean the skin of dead sheep, complete with all the fluff, is worn by you and those who contribute most. With the exception of little holes cut through the skin and fluffiness to allow for the bone needles to tie the different pieces together, the fluff is kept to make it warm. While it would technically be better to give these clothes to the people who work least, as they would be the coldest, they are given to those who work most as a reward and this indirectly convinces people to work harder on it's own, as sleeping through winter with nothing but the warmth of those around you to keep you warm is not very comfortable. This wool clothing is a remnant of the place you lived at before, however, and the small amount of basic leather clothing your people have is all that has been made since you arrived here.

It's been 10 moons since you discovered the blue rocks and 7 since your failed experiment 3 days after. You've gotten over that now, and are ready to continue being active now that you've decided upon a title. So, What are you going to do? There are no issues of immediate importance, and you have smart people and shamans studying the fibres and blue rocks respectively. Maybe you could assist them in their research or retry your previous tests?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:23:33 pm by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 11:35:18 am »

Assist in researching

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 02:53:36 pm »

Help with researching plantcrafts. Try to make something useful for carrying stuff. More efficient hunters and foragers, longer trips away from the cave, better storage. Baskets have it all.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 03:09:18 pm »

Help with researching plantcrafts. Try to make something useful for carrying stuff. More efficient hunters and foragers, longer trips away from the cave, better storage. Baskets have it all.
+1

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 03:15:49 pm »

+1
+1

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The History of a Tribe: Year 0 Spring (Turn 3)
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 03:38:39 am »

Help with researching plantcrafts. Try to make something useful for carrying stuff.
Assist in researching
(3) Things are unfortunately quite slow going. Every attempt you make at weaving fibres of various sizes into something capable of keeping things in it fails, as you can't quite seem to get it right. You're confident it's possible, however, and with so many people working on it you're also confident that you'll get it done eventually. You can't explore if you don't have room for extra food after all, and you plan to explore many places... eventually.

(3) Meanwhile, the shamans are apparently still not done figuring out how the blue rocks work, though one comes to you and tells you they're getting close.

(11)Disaster! The massive pile of food thrown into a corner of the cave secretly had evil spirits lurking in the bottom-most corner of it, and many of your delicious fruits have been discovered to have a strange dark green sickness spreading through them! While all of this food has now been thrown down the mountain side just in case of further sickness, multiple people have already fallen severely ill and died despite the shamans' best attempts to cure them. Not only that, many of your tribe are now suspicious of the plants your tribe has been using to sustain itself. If not dealt with now, this could lead to a greater focus on gathering and hunting over a wider area to sustain the tribe, negatively affecting your rate of overall learning and experimentation.

So, What are you going to do? It has been 8 moons since you first began experimenting with the plants and fibre. Issues of immediate importance are how to deal with your people's fear of the cave food and how to stop sicknesses from spreading through your food again.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:12:09 am by TankKit »
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 05:57:07 am »

Do our people understand food going bad, because if they do just tell them that that's what happened.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 06:00:22 am »

Do our people understand food going bad, because if they do just tell them that that's what happened.
As far as they're concerned, their entire stock of food just started going black out of nowhere and they're pretty freaked out because of it. They've never had enough food long enough for it to rot before.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:01:43 am by TankKit »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22