Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Choose the starting Era

3030s - 4th Succesion Wars, basic technology only, Star League 'Mechs are rare, Clans aren't a thing yet
- 1 (12.5%)
3040s - Renaissance era, basic technology, but advanced designs begin appearing. The dawn of the Clans
- 4 (50%)
3050s - Clan Invasion, Clan tech is rare but possible, while advanced IS design and tech starts appearing
- 3 (37.5%)
3060s - FedCom Civil War, widespread advanced tech in the Inner Sphere, Clan tech is slightly less rare
- 0 (0%)
3070s - Jihad era, Clan tech is uncommon, while everyone in the IS is running advanced technology.
- 0 (0%)
3140 - Dark Ages. Tech is... weird. You might have militarized agro-Mechs charging cutting edge Clan designs sold to IS troops.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Eclipse  (Read 42459 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Misdirect
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 02:32:43 am »

Week 1
Aerial Recon didn’t reveal anything in the area, but Alpha Lance had more (or less) luck. On the 10th of April, one of their probing raids ran into a mixed battalion of forces from the 1st Aragon Borderers, consisting of 2 Medium ‘Mechs supporting ten vehicles and a reinforced company of infantry, including a group of super-heavy field guns. There were also reports of conventional fighters operating in the area.

The Iron Brotherhood’s advantages in this fight would be their superior tonnage on an individual basis, their experience and the pitch-black darkness of the night’s fighting.

Spoiler: Week 1, Probe (click to show/hide)

AAR:
Susanna ‘Starburst’ Nova claimed the kill for the Phoenix Hawk.
Billy ‘Knave’ Kaine claimed the Griffin and a Saladin Assault Hover Tank as kills.
Matt ‘Wind’ Fischer claimed a Vedette and a Scorpion as kills.

Our liaison wiped out the mechanized infantry right at the end, and committed various war crimes to two other infantry units. Its a poor showing for a Firestarter, but he was green and couldn’t land most of his shots.

30 Davion soldiers were KIA, and 6 were captured and turned over to the doctors for medical treatment. The Techs got to work on the damaged ‘Mechs, fixing up the unit’s ‘Mechs by Saturday.

Analysis:
Gah. I hate pitch black darkness missions. Deep Woods is also annoying with this map layout, mostly because of how limited movement becomes, but the darkness imposes a -4 penalty on all shots. Even our veterans and elites couldn’t land much. In the end, we won through literally kicking the opposition to death, as not one of those kills was inflicted by weapons.  Generally if my Commander can reroll anything, I’ll reroll the light conditions first, outside of Tornado weather.

The rest of the week:
The beaten up Phoenix Hawk would take longer, and wouldn’t be combat ready until after the campaign as jump jets and a replacement Large Laser couldn’t be sourced on-planet during combat operations.

For the coming week, Delta Flight switches to running Interdiction operations against targets identified by the previous week’s probing battle.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:43:38 am by Hanzoku »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 06:48:07 am »

First blood!

And shouldn't I have gotten the Griffin kill as well?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 07:47:27 am »

Unfortunately, MegaMek doesn't allow for shared kill credits, so I assign kills by this priority:

1 - First person to score a killing blow (ammo explosion, engine destruction, head/cockpit destruction, center torso destruction, etc.) It is well possible that two or more people can score killing blows in the same round when the whole lance alpha strikes a damaged target.
2 - First person to score a crippling strike (gyro destruction, leg destroyed)
3 - Person to score the most damage if damage causes the 'Mech to fall and destroy the cockpit or cause a condition where it won't be getting up again.

Unfortunately for Wind, Knave scored the kick that broke the Griffin's leg off, so he got the credit for that kill, despite it being a true team effort. Luckily for XP purposes, 'Mechs don't award any more then vehicles do.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2019, 08:20:55 am »

Oh, then I just misread the sentence, and being on mobile didn't double check.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2019, 08:25:34 am »

Sounds like a real knife fight! Conjures images of wrestling tag team matches where they just wail on each other.
Billy will definitely be stenciling those kills notches onto his Wolvy.

And glad to see we're already building up our salvage mech stores for our eventual company expansion!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 06:44:34 am »

Week 2

The Interdiction mission didn’t pan out, heavy cloud cover hiding the movement of the AFFS defenders.

In better news, one of the Marik liaisons put in for a long-term transfer to the Brotherhood, bringing his Dervish with him. Another ultra-green rookie, he immediately joined the training command. Privately, Albus and the officers were sure he was a SAFE agent being planted with the unit to spy on their future employers, but wasn’t too troubled by it.

Speaking of training, James Gundersen improved his gunnery after two weeks of training, and several of the rookie infantry started specializing towards artillery and anti-Mech paths.

Wednesday the 15th of April, Gamma Platoon was alerted to an attempt by the AFFS to extract high value personnel in the Brotherhood’s Area of Operation. They moved in to engage, facing enemy ‘Mechs, vehicles, infantry and air support.

For my own sanity and to speed up the timeline, I won’t give the full report for battles that don’t include PCs. This allows me to do some battles for fun without having to screenshot and comment every step.

Spoiler: Extraction (Defender) (click to show/hide)

AAR:
The Devastator claimed three vehicle kills, the Brunel Dump Truck, M.A.S.H. Truck and APC.
The SRM Carrier bagged the RetroTech Orion, the Blackjack and the Phoenix Hawk.

The unit claimed the salvage of the Phoenix Hawk – while the SRM Carrier didn’t leave much behind, it had blown the right arm off in intact condition, including a working Large Laser that would let them bring their own Phoenix Hawk up to usable standards that much quicker.

4 AFFC personnel were captured, and the two civilians in the M.A.S.H. truck were confirmed dead, including their target.

One of the AFFC personnel was the pilot of the Phoenix Hawk. She was in tears over the destruction of her family’s heirloom ‘Mech, but after some negotiation, agreed to join the unit as their new Phoenix Hawk pilot.

With her broken arm, she won’t be piloting it for a while, but the Brotherhood is growing. She came with enough XP to raise her piloting, making her a 4/5 Regular.

Analysis:
This is the first time I’ve played this mission type (I don’t normally set units to Defend), and I have to say its rather hard depending on the terrain you get. The victory conditions for the player is that you have to kill all the civilian units before they can escape, but they’re set to rabbit immediately, and if you don’t get lucky with the map layout like I did, then its hard to down them all in time. Fielding a full Lance would make it a lot easier

On Friday, disaster struck. A company of the 1st Aragon Borderers stumbled on the Training Command busy with a training mission in an abandoned industrial area of a city. They moved to engage, calling in air strikes from a flight led by local ace pilot Kenny ‘Two-Shot’ Goodenough. No, seriously, I didn’t make that name up, or his skill. The Training Command scrambled to defend itself from the sudden attack.

Spoiler: Hide and Seek (click to show/hide)

AAR:
The Warhammer took a beating from the bombing run and combat, with its left leg barely functional (only 1 structure remaining). Combat damage was otherwise light, though the Commando took some nasty falls.

Jami (Commando) took 2 hits, while Gani (Dervish) took 1, as did James (Warhammer).

The Brotherhood claimed the salvage for the Stinger, before promptly turning around and selling it to the scrappers for 1.4 million C-Bills.

3 AFFS personnel died in the fighting, and 3 more were captured, including the pilot of the Spider, who was enraged that his ‘Mech was destroyed by ‘mere ground pounders’.

Lieutenant Yi’s Heavy Infantry claimed the Spider and a Vedette as kills
James ‘Glaive’ Gundersen claimed the Saladin
Stefanova Ragozin claimed the Scimitar.

Despite its near destruction, no one was given credit for the Stinger, as its damage was entirely inflicted by pilot error.

In the wake of the battle, Stefanova’s piloting improved markedly, and a number of infantry had improved their skills or started developing Anti-Mech or Artillery skills. One of them however, put in for a change of position. Belmiro Larcher already had some experience piloting AgroMechs and had been working hard in the simulators to improve his ‘Mech gunnery. While he was green, so were half of the Brotherhood’s pilots. His transfer was approved, though now he needed to wait for a ride to become available.

Analysis:
This would have been so much easier without green pilots. That said, I was gratified by how well the infantry did – they did have the advantage of digging in on a fortified building, so they had ~130 HP of armor before they would start taking damage.

One thing I didn’t anticipate is that I thought the Support Lasers had a maximum range of 5. They instead have a range increment of 5 – meaning they hit out as far as 15 hexes away. Combined with larger regular+ gunnery, they were doing very good scattershot damage to enemies. This was deadly to the Vedette, where they inflicted immobilizing damage in two turns. The Spider got unlucky – it had taken some back shots from our own Spider a few rounds earlier and was nearly stripped of all armor from trying to brawl with a Warhammer. Running and exposing its back, it just got shot through the naked back armor and was cored.

The rest of the week...
Nothing much occurred the rest of the week. Seeing how effective enemy air support had been, Albus started acquiring HE bombs for their own Aerospace fighters, and the Techs were hard at work repairing the battle damage to the training ‘Mechs. By Sunday, all that was remaining was to repair the structural damage to the Commando’s Central Torso and the Warhammer’s leg.

For the coming week, the Aerospace Fighters were tasked to ground support, while other unit assignments remained the same.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 04:22:50 pm »

It's nice to see that infantry are more useful in this then I thought. I genuinely thought they were only there for roleplay flavor.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2019, 02:35:21 am »

Infantry can be very effective - Jump Infantry with anti-'Mech skill are the precursors to battle armor. I've had a team neatly remove legs from two 'Mechs in a single battle with anti-leg attacks.

Field Guns can also be very deadly, but you have to accept that they'll take casualties. The AI doesn't seem to know how to use them correctly, as it kept moving the AC/20 field guns rather then holding still so it can use them. Funny enough, as an RP point I haven't been accepting recruits while traveling to mission sites, and on the first week a unit of Gauss Rifle field guns popped up.

I'm not fond of Mobile/Mechanized infantry in battle, because they're heavily restricted on where they can travel to, and are generally forced to stay in the open where someone with a flamer or a machine gun can give them a really bad day.

One thing that MegaMek needs is a random infantry unit generator that uses all of the options - the custom infantry unit I'm using makes use of armor that halves the damage they'd take from attacks, negating the double damage from being in the open. Yet all of the default infantry are equipped with peashooters and t-shirts. There's not one base infantry unit that uses support PPCs, lasers, etc.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2019, 02:48:22 am »

Week 3

On the 25th of April, the Brotherhood of Iron launched a retaliatory strike for the attack on the trainees. Spearheaded by Alpha Lance, the Brotherhood targeted a company of the 1st Aragon Borderers consisting of two lances of medium and light ‘Mechs supported by a lance of light armor.  Once again, enemy air support was operating in the area, but for a change, friendly air support was on hand courtesy of Delta Flight, a half-dozen high explosive bombs slung to the external hardpoints of each AeroSpace fighter.

AAR:
Only the Wolverine took any damage, and that was limited to armor damage.

The Brotherhood claimed the Locust, giving the scrapped Wasps to their employer. The Locust sold for another 1.4M C-Bills, helping to cover the Brotherhood’s debts.

One enemy was confirmed KIA, and two were captured, both MechWarriors.

Billy ‘Knave’ Kaine claimed the WSP-1D Wasp.
Matt ‘Wind’ Fischer claimed the WSP-1A Wasp and a Galleon light tank.
Ichiro ‘Tengu’ Kobayashi claimed a Scorpion light tank.
Levane Persaud claimed the Locust.

Analysis:
Not a lot to say about this. It shows how powerful Veteran and Elite pilots are. Having a lot of weapons is nice, but you must hit with them to do anything. Once that happens, the magic starts. This is how fast some of these battles can go when things are going your way.

By Sunday, the Techs had everything squared away for another week of operations. Orders remained unchanged for the coming week as the Brotherhood hoped to benefit from air cover once more.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 08:05:38 am »

Another solid W for us! Seems like the raid is going pretty well so far if I do say so myself. Concentrating veteran pilots is a surefire way to cause the enemy some headaches :)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2019, 01:38:45 am »

Week 4

Early in the week, the unit was approached by a Melissa Lyle. A pilot originally from the Draconis Combine, she had served in one of the other mercenary commands that had been shattered in the fighting. Hearing of the unit’s success to this point, she wanted to hire on – and brought her SL-17AC Shilone to sweeten the deal.

Albus decided to hire her on and she was assigned to the training command as well, though it was now as large as he was comfortable let stand until some of the members started graduating.

That night, Alpha Lance intercepted a probing strike by the Borderers, consisting of two lances of Vehicles with air support. With air support of their own on hand, the Brotherhood was confident that their skills at night-fighting would carry the day night.

Spoiler: Probe (Defender) (click to show/hide)

AAR:
The Brotherhood received absolutely no damage – all the Techs had waiting for them was to restock their ammo bins.

No salvage was claimed – there wasn’t much left to begin with. 4 enemies were confirmed KIA, and 2 were captured.

Matt ‘Wind’ Fischer claimed a Vedette AC/2
Levane Persaud claimed a Packrat and a squad of HALO Paratroopers it was carrying.

Friday marked the 1st of May. Analysis indicated that enemy morale in their sector of operation was Low after their string of unbroken defeats. However, there were rumors of Internal Dissension in their employer’s ranks. The supposed Star League bases were proving elusive.

The unit received its first combat paycheck, 3.3m C-Bills, though 900k went to debt repayment from their loan.

One of the other mercenary commands on planet was hard up for cash, and Albus purchased a Partisan from them for 65% of its base cost, the unit only paying 1.2M C-Bills for an Assault-weight vehicle. This brought Gamma Platoon to full strength.

Operating in the field was starting to take its toll in wear and tear, as numerous ‘Mechs and vehicles were down checked during the monthly maintenance cycle. I adjusted the modifier to -2, as the amount of damage was a little excessive.

For the coming week, assignments remained the same.

Week 5
For a change, there were no combat operations this week. James improved his piloting, and two soldiers started specializing towards Anti-Mech and Artillery operations.

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 09:22:02 pm »

Man, can't believe I missed this.

I'll take Pvt. Stefanova Ragozin. Her original name listing was a clerical error - it's actually Svetlana Ragozina (as a native russian speaker, the wrong-gender first and last names bug the crap out of me). Call sign "Ragu". It's apparently her favorite dish when she's got a couple of spare hours and the right ingredients.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 05:14:53 am »

Week 6
It had taken several months before Svetlana relaxed enough to realize that unlike in the Capellan Confederation, correcting her superiors might not result in summary execution, and had her personnel records updated. By this time, she had also earned the callsign Ragu based on her love of cooking that dish. Sharing it with her fellow trainees had led to a surprising amount of bonding between MechWarriors and common infantry.

On Thursday, the result of the internal dissension was revealed. While Lieutenant Susanna ‘Starburst’ Nova was taking her Stalker out for a test run, three medium ‘Mechs from the 1st Aragon Borderers appeared out of hiding ahead of her on a head-hunting mission.

AAR:
The Stalker took a fair amount of armor damage, and some penetrating damage to the left leg, courtesy of the Enforcer’s autocannon.

The Brotherhood claimed the Hunchback HBK-4N model as salvage. The Brotherhood claimed all three pilots as captives and subjected the badly injured pilots to interrogation as soon as the doctors were relatively certain they wouldn’t bleed to death right away.

It was revealed that one of the Marik officers had sold Susanna’s location information to the vengeful Borderers. Unfortunately, part of his deal had also included extraction, and he was long-gone by the time the vengeful mercenaries uncovered his actions. The ambushers were in a bad way – one’s piloting career was lost, alone with his arm. Another was in emergency surgery with internal bleeding. Only one had come away with cuts and bruises.

The Hunchback was assigned to Private Belmiro, though he would need to wait for a replacement leg to arrive and one of the other MechWarriors to clear the Brotherhood’s training course before he could start.

On Sunday, Gamma Platoon was once again called into action, needing to stop a group of partisans fleeing out of their area of operation. The only outstanding feature was the presence of an ancient prototype Bellerophon – one of only four known to exist.

Spoiler: Extraction (Defender) (click to show/hide)

AAR:
The Brotherhood claimed the salvage from both Stingers, the Galleon and the Vedette, selling the scrap for 2.1M C-Bills in total.

23 enemies were confirmed KIA, the majority in an infantry platoon who had the misfortune to disembark directly in front of the Behemoth’s front machine gun turrets. 9 more enemies were captured.

The SRM Carrier claimed the Galleon, the STG-3G Stinger, the Griffin and the Heavy APC.
The Behemoth claimed the STG-3R Stinger, the Foot Platoon, and a Vedette
The Devastator claimed the Bellerophon and the M.A.S.H. Truck
The Partisan claimed the APC and one of the Meteor fighters.

Their escorting Trebuchet claimed the other Vedette.

Week 7
Nothing of note occurred this week, giving the Iron Brotherhood a chance to relax and recover. On the 21st, Linda Vo was declared fit, and she joined Alpha Lance with her Phoenix Hawk.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 10:41:20 am »

Love when the ambushers become the ambushed! Great write-up as always. Can't imagine the AFFC will take many more losses like that :D
With all that salvage I imagine we'll be sitting pretty financially.

And welcome aboard Svetlana!

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 06:02:04 pm »

Yeah, "rough weather conditions" tend to favor more experienced mechwarriors, because they move the entire 2d6 bell curve. A guy that hits on a 4+ isn't going to do *that* much better when that suddenly becomes a 6+, but a guy that hits on a 6+ is going to do considerably worse when it becomes an 8+. With rookies, I avoid night time and weather conditions like the plague, rerolling them if at all possible, but with veterans and elites, I actively seek them out. They slow the scenarios down some but it's not as big a deal in MegaMek as it is on tabletop, and your forces come out in much better shape.

Losing three mediums like that, ouch. Maybe the FedCom guys should get some better mechwarriors.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15