Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Choose the starting Era

3030s - 4th Succesion Wars, basic technology only, Star League 'Mechs are rare, Clans aren't a thing yet
- 1 (12.5%)
3040s - Renaissance era, basic technology, but advanced designs begin appearing. The dawn of the Clans
- 4 (50%)
3050s - Clan Invasion, Clan tech is rare but possible, while advanced IS design and tech starts appearing
- 3 (37.5%)
3060s - FedCom Civil War, widespread advanced tech in the Inner Sphere, Clan tech is slightly less rare
- 0 (0%)
3070s - Jihad era, Clan tech is uncommon, while everyone in the IS is running advanced technology.
- 0 (0%)
3140 - Dark Ages. Tech is... weird. You might have militarized agro-Mechs charging cutting edge Clan designs sold to IS troops.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Eclipse  (Read 42058 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Knave, Rince Wind and EuchreJack:

Well, I was putting it down to the Liaos figuring out which 'Mech was sending out orders based on signal intercepts, but they're so focused on Billy that I wouldn't put it past him. Come to think of it, he did disappear for a few days near the start of the campaign. The 5th McCarron's Cavalry's CO has a last name of Granger, so I don't think they he managed to steal big papa McCarron's own coat, but I wouldn't put it past him to steal the local colonel's.

Oh yes, definitely enjoy the coat stealing. 100%  :P

Hard not to feel bad for the defenders at this point. We're probably past due for another ill-fated ambush at this point!

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice. From medium mech to assault.

Sure, it's not the best-regarded assault, but 80 tons is 80 tons.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Nice. From medium mech to assault.

Sure, it's not the best-regarded assault, but 80 tons is 80 tons.

Heh, it's almost twice as good!

But seriously, in what universe is the Zeus "not the best-regarded assault"?  Fedsun propaganda, no doubt.  I'm pretty sure its the best regarded 80 ton mech in the Lyran Alliance prior to 3040, and it trumps the substandard fare of the Draconis and Capellans.

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Three issues:
1) rear-facing laser
2) AC/5 on an 80-ton mech
3) Weirdly low side torso armor

But, unless we get an invite to the local mech factory to do some serious refits, Ragu will happily make do with what she's got.

For novelty, I'd love to see the 6Y variant fielded. That's the one with the binary laser, which is probably the most awful weapon in existence (basically two large laser barrels welded together): 16 heat, 12 damage.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Three issues:
1) rear-facing laser
2) AC/5 on an 80-ton mech
3) Weirdly low side torso armor

But, unless we get an invite to the local mech factory to do some serious refits, Ragu will happily make do with what she's got.

For novelty, I'd love to see the 6Y variant fielded. That's the one with the binary laser, which is probably the most awful weapon in existence (basically two large laser barrels welded together): 16 heat, 12 damage.

Heh, I think we got a few years before its "invented".  I use quotes as a quite agree that its just two large lasers welded together.

I was looking over the beta for the ATB rules, and notices the author was looking for rules regarding Limb Replacements.  Here are my thoughts on that:
Faction troops would definitely replace the limbs of their elite pilots.  However, due to its cost, they would probably pressure their green pilots to just retire instead.  In the succession war era, Replacement Limb tech is lostech and there are far more mechwarriors than meks, so it should be rarer to get and factions would probably put pressure on even regular mechwarrior to retire, even though in the succession war era the replacement pilot would probably be a green or ultra-green family member of the retired mechwarrior (depending on the injury, that might still be preferable).  I would suggest a yearly roll, but have High Command pay for the surgery unlike a mercenary command.
I guess it might be roll 1d6, on 6 cure found, zero or below after modifier pilot forced to retire, modify roll based on skill:
-2 Ultra-Green, -1 Green, 0 regular, +1 Vet, +2 Elite
-1 if Succession war era
then roll 1d6, 1 pilot dies, 2 cure doesn't work, otherwise cure works
Faction controls Terra or Canopus IV, or unit stationed on either planet, then +1 to all rolls.

Note for mercenary units, they roll every month if they pay 100,000 cbills per injury and then pay 2d6 times 100,000 cbills.  I imagine that Factions would bear those costs, but not quite so often.  Maybe roll 2d6 to determine when High Command next spends their time and resources to find the mechwarrior a cure, modified by skill in the opposite way as above (+2 Ultra-Green, +1 Green, 0 regular, +1 Vet, +2 Elite).  Might even modify this roll by the Admin/HR. 

While I could see unit rating as a factor, with elite units getting permanent limb replacements first, it almost seems more likely that in an F-rated unit, the Elite pilot would still get the limb replacement but then immediately be transferred to a better unit.  The request to High Command for the limb replacement would also tip them off that someone with Elite skills is languishing in such an obscure unit, and they would probably seek to remedy that just as soon as they were patched up.  The reverse, where an Ultra-Green is forced to transfer/washout from an elite unit, seems semi-plausible.  While I can see some bureaucrat or Noble trying to tell an elite unit how to manage their personnel, most in High Command are smart enough not to tell the Northwind Highlanders how to do their job.  Elite units generally are allowed whatever quirks with personnel they want, just as long as it doesn't affect their effectiveness.  But they're still reluctant to potentially waste the resources equivalent to a light mek on an Ultra-Green.

Just my 2 cents, maybe that can help the beta designers out.

Also, since I'm theorizing on the ATB rules, I had another idea:
Under the current rules, Pirates can only become legitimate if they first roll for a mercenary contract (1 in 10 each month), completes said contract successfully, then rolls 6 on 1d6.  While the odds are good enough (0.0166, or 1.66% every month), it would seem to me that Pirates that amass a fortune could probably spend said fortune to return to society.  Even with today's technology, the combination of bribes, plastic surgeries, and false documents could allow a wanted person to rejoin society.  I'm sure for enough C-Bills, Comstar (or especially Word of Blake) could arrange for a gang of pirates to become mercenaries again.  Alternatively, a large enough band of pirates could probably convince or coerce a faction (usually on the periphery) to either grant them land to become Nobles or allow them to enlist as a Faction force.  I'm not sure on just how the mechanics would work (probably send C-Bills over time, then get to roll to see if all the bribery takes, or roll C-Bills over time and compare random roll to number of working meks assigned to mechwarriors, with penalty for land grants vs enlistment).

Heh, I'm sure even Houses Steiner and Kurita would prefer that large band of unknown meks be rebranded as Butte Hold's garrison nominally under their rule, rather than see a Pirate Kingdom pop up.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@NickAragua: I don't know, I think it's fairly competitive for what it is, which is a long-range support design.

Comparing the Awesome and the Zeus:

The Awesome is a 3/5 design that can output 30 damage a round most rounds, with an occasional cooloff round of 20 to get the heat back down.
The Zeus is a 4/6 design that can output (with the AC adjustment) up to 31 damage a round until the LRM ammunition runs out, then 16 damage a round for another 12 rounds until the AC/5 ammunition runs out. While it doesn't have the longevity of the Awesome, it's faster and doesn't suffer any heat issues whatsoever.

I do agree that I'm not fond of rear-facing weapons, and the first thing I do is either turn them around or remove them entirely if modifying a 'Mech.

The binary laser cannon is pretty bad, I agree. Saving a ton of weight isn't worth losing 4 damage. The RISC Hyper Laser is a much better trade off - as much heat as two ER Large Lasers for more damage and a longer range. Sadly, it's a prototype with a VERY short window to be able to acquire them, so its not like you ever get to use them.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a fond place in my heart for the Zeus - Maybe just below the Victor. Though I've been known to like certain mechs just because they look cool :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a fond place in my heart for the Zeus - Maybe just below the Victor. Though I've been known to like certain mechs just because they look cool :D

Ah yes the Victor, so good that the heir to the Federated Commonwealth was named after it.  :P

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sure someone, somewhere was giggling to himself when he assigned a Victor to Victor, the Crown Prince.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Operation Blue Paladin – Week 6

The Wolverine remained crippled, but functional enough for training purposes. By now, the Cavalrymen were swarming towards the Iron Brotherhood’s AoO, and Nova’s Knights went out to meet them. They were reinforced by a new addition – Corporal Jack Euchre, a Liao defector who approached the FedCom invaders early in the invasion. MIIO had intensively vetted him but were leery of taking him on in the FedCom ranks and forwarded his dossier to the Iron Brotherhood. In desperate need for more skilled pilots, Albus agreed to take him on.

As it turned out, he was very skilled with the AC/10, and the small laser. And LRMs and SRMs. He was a crack shot with large lasers and machine guns. Whatever he turned his hand to, he seemed to have a natural aptitude in its use.

Holy crap, the MechWarrior who showed up in the weekly check came with Natural Aptitude: Gunnery. Enjoy your template, EuchreJack.

Nova’s Knights would be facing a reinforced company of light and medium vehicles and ‘Mechs with enemy air support, but they weren’t worried. Kobayashi’s Crows would be in the skies above them.

Spoiler: Stand Up (Defender) (click to show/hide)

AAR:
The Knights were basically undamaged in the brief conflict – Nova’s King Crab had some minor laser and machine gun damage, and James had done some armor damage with his fall, but overall it wasn’t too serious.

They claimed the largely undamaged Peregrine Attack VTOL and the salvage of the J. Edgar and the remains of the light ‘Mech Lance. While none of the ‘Mechs were good for anything more then selling for salvage, Albus planned to keep the VTOL for later. Their salvage sold for 3.4M C-Bills.

Two of the Liao soldiers were KIA, and one was captured.

Captain Susanna ‘Starburst’ Nova claimed both Locusts and a Stinger.
Commander Ichiro ‘Tengu’ Kobayashi claimed an air kill against the MechBuster.
Corporal Svetlana ‘Ragu’ Ragozina claimed a Scorpion Light Tank.
Corporal Jack ‘EJ’ Euchre claimed the other Scorpion and the second Stinger.

Repairs were completed swiftly, and the Peregrine was mothballed for later.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Blue Paladin
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2019, 09:45:59 am »

Shame you didn't get a chance to capture their reinforcement Urbanmech R60L.
I'm sure Euchre would have loved the chance to pilot the AC-20 urbie variant  :P

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Blue Paladin
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:25 am »

Holy crap, a natural aptitude gunnery! That's awesome.

I actually routinely troll through my list of AtB-acquired personnel, because those natural aptitude guys are solid gold - even if you have to bring them up from 8/8, they still have an incredible amount of potential.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2019, 10:05:29 pm »

Shame you didn't get a chance to capture their reinforcement Urbanmech R60L.
I'm sure Euchre would have loved the chance to pilot the AC-20 urbie variant  :P
And if you stick me in one, you'll enjoy several AC-20 rounds to your backside  :P

I'm not too worried about the continuity errors: It looks like my character just liked to wear a bit too much makeup when first recruited, is all.
My character is probably thinking, regarding our last battle "That could have been me out there dying for House Liao.  I obviously made the right choice."

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2019, 03:57:32 am »

Operation Blue Paladin – Week 7

The week opened with a bang, as an urgent message went out to the Iron Brotherhood. The 5th McCarron’s Armored Cavalry had managed to slip a MechWarrior through their lines to a long-hidden Star League cache. He was going to escape with a pristine Star League era ‘Mech, and that couldn’t be allowed.

Only one person was in place to stop him – Captain Susanna Nova. The only problem?

He was in a Pillager.

AAR:
The Federated Commonwealth tried to claim the Pillager. It was theirs by right, they claimed. It brought the unit above its allowed salvage amount they ranted.

Starburst’s answer was simple: It was hers, and they were welcome to try to pry it from her ‘Mech’s claws.

Albus backed her claim to the ‘Mech, and in the end, the FedCom forces didn’t want to sour their relationship with the Iron Brotherhood enough to force the issue. The Pillager went to the techs, though it would be a while before it was functional, as they had to source a replacement leg after all the damage Susanna caused to it.

The week continued with heavy action, as the Iron Brotherhood made a major push against McCarron’s Armored Cavalry. On Wednesday, Nova’s Knights moved out to engage a mixed medium company with air support. Friday, Kaine’s Kings launched another recon ‘raid’, supported by Kobayashi’s Crows.

Spoiler: Stand Up (Attacker) (click to show/hide)

On Friday, Kaine’s Kings launched another recon raid against the 5th McCarron’s Armored Cavalry.

Spoiler: Recon Raid (Attacker) (click to show/hide)

AAR:
Knave’s Grasshopper was lightly damaged, but aside from a damaged medium laser in the SL-17AC, the rest of the deployed units were unscathed.

The mercenaries claimed the salvage from the infantry units, the bomber and the Defender II.  Their techs were interested in stripping out the advanced Artemis IV FCS from the fighter.

33 enemies were KIA, and 18 more captured.

Operation Blue Paladin – Week 8+

The following week was blissfully silent, allowing the techs time to catch up on their backlog of work. In gratitude for their work, the FedCom forces arranged to acquire a large laser and the jump jet for the Pillager, as well as some spare rounds for its gauss rifles.

Susanna moved into her new ride, James moved up to the King Crab, and Jack took over the STK-3F Stalker, allowing the stressed model to go into mothballs.

The morale of the 5th McCarron Armored Cavalry was now Very Low, and the mercenaries could spend some time recovering from combat.

The Iron Brotherhood rang in the New Year with a wild party as Liao morale continued its rock bottom placement. Their gear was fully repaired, and there was little to do besides quiet patrols.

January brought a few new recruits to the support side of the Brotherhood – Logan Cobbold, an Elite-ranked Transport Admin, and Darge Saghiri, a Veteran Doctor.

February continued the trend, the raid now converted more to a sedate garrison contract as the FedCom forces continued chasing the Liao defenders, well away from where the mercenaries operated. Albus purchased a Schreck PPC Carrier and Thumper Artillery Vehicle on auction, and MechWarriors started graduating from the training command, finally.

In February, Linda Vo was promoted to Lieutenant JG, and placed in charge of Linda’s Lancers, the unit’s scout lance.

The first of March brought news the unit was long expecting – the contract was over. While in their case, this only changed the results by a few days, they were pleased to take a small bonus from the FedCom commander before lifting off for Outreach.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2019, 03:24:25 pm »

That Pillager is quite a nice parting gift from the 5th, (almost as good as that coat Billy snagged  ;) )

Nice to have another mission on our belt. Will be interesting to see what toys Outreach offers this time! So with Vo as our Scout leader, we're officially up to 4 lances of mechs, right?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15