Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Choose the starting Era

3030s - 4th Succesion Wars, basic technology only, Star League 'Mechs are rare, Clans aren't a thing yet
- 1 (12.5%)
3040s - Renaissance era, basic technology, but advanced designs begin appearing. The dawn of the Clans
- 4 (50%)
3050s - Clan Invasion, Clan tech is rare but possible, while advanced IS design and tech starts appearing
- 3 (37.5%)
3060s - FedCom Civil War, widespread advanced tech in the Inner Sphere, Clan tech is slightly less rare
- 0 (0%)
3070s - Jihad era, Clan tech is uncommon, while everyone in the IS is running advanced technology.
- 0 (0%)
3140 - Dark Ages. Tech is... weird. You might have militarized agro-Mechs charging cutting edge Clan designs sold to IS troops.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Eclipse  (Read 42334 times)

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Eclipse
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2020, 12:28:54 pm »

Awesome!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2020, 12:50:39 pm »

Two Awesomes seems appropriate.

I just wanted to mention that I love the Stalker, which I'm delighted to have been assigned to pilot.  It's a true workhorse Assault Mech.
“It's not flashy. It's not the cutting edge. It just keeps coming.”
-From Triad Technologies marketing campaign

My kind of mech!

I also like this bit, from Sarna:
"Indeed a favorite tactic developed by Stalker pilots was to lie in wait inside a building until an enemy 'Mech passed by, then crash through the wall and emerge onto the street behind them."
So its basically the Kool-Aid man of the Battlemech world.  Oh yeah!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2020, 02:13:24 pm »

Add another Awesome for me!

Happy to be part of the Elite club. 'Dodge' is.. not the worst trait!  :P

I remember really liking the Stalker from a young age, because it featured prominently on the 'Crescent Hawk's Revenge' box art. Which as a young kid, I really sucked at, but was really cool watching other people play.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:16:58 pm by Knave »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2020, 02:16:11 pm »

It could be worse. It’s nice to have for when you get melee’s from behind or above and can’t respond. Besides, now that you’re elite you can start building XP for buying special skills like Sniper (60XP)

@EuchreJack: I love the Stalker as well, and your character is doing amazing things with it. It’s a shame the official upgrades are so lackluster - no CASE, or no double heatsinks or putting in a fucking Narc beacon (I can rant about its implementation if it’d amuse anyone). Once we get the good stuff, it’ll go under the knife welding torch for a custom build.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:19:05 pm by Hanzoku »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2020, 04:08:09 pm »

While it sadly lacks SRMs the royal Stalker is a very good Mech. And when playing with quirks it can either shoot its full long range complement or all of its lasers.
But other than that ... nothing decent. The 8S isn't really a Stalker anymore.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2020, 09:44:43 pm »

I was looking at the Stalker upgrades and their lack of quality, especially versus other machines.

My conclusion is that the Stalker is just among the best of the Succession War eras.  Once the technological base moves past that, the basic design principles for which it excels start to shatter.  Note that the Clans don't have an upgraded version of the Stalker.  They took some with them, but none have been upgraded.

It would be interesting to see if an upgrade with all that advanced tech could prove me wrong.
(or maybe it was designed in the 90's with the Kool-Aid gimmick and lots of love by the writers at that time, but then the guys taking over in the next decades didn't get the joke and decided to cripple the slow-and-heavy mech since it looked like a penis and they were sick of those jokes)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2020, 02:59:57 am »

You can do some good stuff with the Stalker.

Code: [Select]
Stalker STK-4N-II
Base Tech Level: Standard (IS)
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3137+
Tech Rating: E/X-X-X-D 

Weight: 85 tons
BV: 1,891
Cost: 21,094,008 C-bills

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 340 XL
Double Heat Sinks: 16 [32]
Gyro: Standard Gyro 
Internal: 130
Armor: 216/263

Internal Armor
Head
3 9
Center Torso
27 34
Center Torso (rear)
Right Torso
18 23
Right Torso (rear)
Left Torso
18 23
Left Torso (rear)
Right Arm
14 22
Left Arm
14 22
Right Leg
18 29
Left Leg
18 29

Weapons
Loc Heat
Plasma Rifle
LT 10
Plasma Rifle
RT 10
ER Medium Laser
LA 5
ER Medium Laser
LA 5
ER Medium Laser
RA 5
ER Medium Laser
RA 5
MML 9
LA 5
MML 9
RA 5

Ammo
Loc Shots
MML 9 LRM Ammo
LT 13
MML 9 LRM Ammo
RT 13
MML 9 SRM Ammo
RT 11
MML 9 SRM Ammo
LT 11
Plasma Rifle Ammo
LT 10
Plasma Rifle Ammo
RT 10

Equipment Loc
ECM Suite (Guardian) CT
CASE LT
CASE RT

It's not fully optimized yet. I can strip two heat sinks, the ECM and half a ton of armor out to free up the space and tonnage for a targeting computer. Using the Battle Computer quirk, it can fire either its plasma rifles and MMLs at a run, or its ER medium lasers and MMLs at a run without feeling a flicker of heat. It's also sped up to 4/6, a common upgrade once XL engines are a thing.

Code: [Select]
Stalker II-C
Base Tech Level: Standard (Clan)
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced 3137+
Standard -
Tech Rating: F/X-X-X-E 

Weight: 85 tons
BV: 3,249
Cost: 23,650,708 C-bills

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 340 XL
Double Heat Sinks: 15 [30]
Cockpit: Small Cockpit
Gyro: Standard Gyro 
Internal: 130 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 263/263 (Ferro-Fibrous)

Internal Armor
Head
3 9
Center Torso
27 41
Center Torso (rear)
Right Torso
18 27
Right Torso (rear)
Left Torso
18 27
Left Torso (rear)
Right Arm
14 28
Left Arm
14 28
Right Leg
18 36
Left Leg
18 36

Weapons
Loc Heat
ER Large Laser
LT 12
ER Large Laser
RT 12
Medium Pulse Laser
LA 4
Medium Pulse Laser
LA 4
Medium Pulse Laser
RA 4
Medium Pulse Laser
RA 4
Improved ATM 12
LA 8
Improved ATM 12
RA 8

Ammo
Loc Shots
Standard iATM/12 Ammo
LT 5
Standard iATM/12 Ammo
LT 5
Standard iATM/12 Ammo
RT 5
Standard iATM/12 Ammo
RT 5
High-Explosive iATM/12 Ammo
LT 5
High-Explosive iATM/12 Ammo
RT 5
Extended-Range iATM/12 Ammo
LT 5
Extended-Range iATM/12 Ammo
RT 5

Equipment Loc
Targeting Computer [Clan] RT

As usual for the Clans, they tend to miss the point a bit and run hot. That said, the Stalker II-C can pound out 24 iATM missiles and two large lasers at range for a heat deficient of 6 per turn, so it needs to switch off between two ER LLasers and one each turn. Up close, it can use 4 medium pulse lasers and 24 iATMs of HE bullshittery with no heat issues, adding in an ER LLaser for more damage at the cost of heat buildup.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2020, 08:49:13 am »

I was looking at the Stalker upgrades and their lack of quality, especially versus other machines.

My conclusion is that the Stalker is just among the best of the Succession War eras.  Once the technological base moves past that, the basic design principles for which it excels start to shatter.  Note that the Clans don't have an upgraded version of the Stalker.  They took some with them, but none have been upgraded.

It would be interesting to see if an upgrade with all that advanced tech could prove me wrong.
(or maybe it was designed in the 90's with the Kool-Aid gimmick and lots of love by the writers at that time, but then the guys taking over in the next decades didn't get the joke and decided to cripple the slow-and-heavy mech since it looked like a penis and they were sick of those jokes)

There is a Stalker II. While it has an absurd amount of armor (something along the lines of 27t of hardened armor) it has a meagre 2 ELRM 10 for ranged combat and 8 medium Lasers for close combat. It only has the basic 10 DHS, so a good old HBK 4P will have more (consistent) Damage up close (unless it still as the Battle Computer perk), and the hardened armor slows it down to 3/4. Also some other stuff like a torso mounted Cockpit, iirc. U

They kinda got the "it just keeps on coming" aspect, but they completly missed the point that the Stalker starts with ok damage at range and the closer you come the more it can bring to bear. Not a fan of the ELRMs with their weight and their huge minimum range.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2020, 09:24:25 am »

ELRMs are meant to be an inbetween step between IS LRMs and Clan LRMs. That said, they're a crappy tradeoff, since they weight an extra ton and take two extra crits for the 'amazing' halving of the minimum range from 6 to 3. Because if that's one thing your LRM heavy 'Mech needs, it's to stand closer while firing its LRMs.

Instead of, you know, just sticking clan LRMs on the 'Mech so you can fire more LRMs for less weight.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »

Extended LRMs have more range and a higher minimum range of 10:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Extended_LRM-10

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2020, 04:48:36 pm »

Battletech has gotten confusing with the
Enhanced LRM being better at close range https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Enhanced_LRM and the
Extended LRM havign more range and higher minimum range.

...they're not the only weapon systems which have gotten confusing in the proliferation of Advanced Tech.

Extended LRM actually fits in well with the intent of the Stalker, whereas Enhanced LRM increases the issues with overheating.  However, most battles are probably fought too close for Extended LRM to see much use.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2020, 02:08:19 am »

Ah, sorry for the confusion from my end. When I typed ELRM 10 into Sarna's search engine, it brought me to the wrong version for that abbreviation.

I think the Stalker II would have benefitted more from MMLs instead of Extended LRMs - they're built as close range brawlers, and being able to swap over from LRMs to SRMs to support their bundles of medium lasers would have been smarter, I think.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:52 am »

Operation Eclipse – Week 6

A morale-boosting press release was delivered to the Raiders, who passed it on to the Iron Brotherhood.

James Gundersen was interested in the design, which promised to be a direct fire standoff ‘Mech, but Albus wasn’t holding his breath that they would see any of a brand-new model on the open market anytime soon.

Despite the pounding they took the previous week, the PDF wasn’t letting up their counterattack. They once again attempted to close a trap around the Iron Brotherhood, this time targeting Kaine’s Kings.  With the Knights mustering for a counter offensive to the east, and the Hailstorm and Lancers likewise heavily occupied, this time there were no turning the trap back on the Liao forces.

One spot of good news was that Persaud’s Sparrows would be flying support, countering the militia air support. The Crows also attempted to come to the Kings’ aid but were forced back after being ambushed by a group of Partisans and Riflemen.

AAR:
The brutal fighting was hard on the Brotherhood, losing a Sparrowhawk and the Zeus, and heavy damage to the Marauder and Ostroc. They couldn’t even claim salvage as a battalion of enemy forces flooded through the area in pursuit.

That said, the Iron Brotherhood savaged the Liao defenders, and they paid a high price for their success in this battle.

Lieutenant SG Billy Kaine claimed the Predator Tank Destroyer.
Master Sergeant Matt Fischer claimed the MechBuster, a Plainsman, a Saracen and a Vedette.
Sergeant Svetlana Ragozina claimed the Guardian B, Zhukov, Hunter Light Support Tank and a Hetzer.
Corporal Noelle Al Gahary claimed a Hetzer AC/10, a Flamer Turret, and a Saladin.
Petty Officer Mocja MacCurtin claimed the Field Gunners and the Drillson.
Petty Officer Mildred Thomas claimed a Jump Platoon and the LRM/5 Turret.

Before the Knight’s counterattack kicked off, the month ended. The PDF’s morale was now marked as Low – despite their success at the end of the month, the battering the Iron Brotherhood has given them has taken its toll.

The Brotherhood reactivated the Grasshopper for Svetlana, picked up a replacement Sparrowhawk on the black market and another Thumper on the open market.

On Sunday, the counteroffensive kicked off. Lead by Nova’s Knights, the Raiders crashed through the militia lines.

Operation Eclipse – Week 7
Nothing of note happened this week. While the Raiders continued to push back the PDF, the Iron Brotherhood wasn’t called upon.

Jack Euchre was promoted to Sergeant, having attained Veteran-ranked gunnery skills. He also picked up the special ability Cluster Hitter, making him more deadly with his Stalker’s missile arrays.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2020, 02:28:55 pm »

The PDF combines their fire on Knave’s Marauder, but despite losing a weapons pod, his furiously obscene gestures continue unabated.

Glad I was able to stay on brand.  ;D

Sounds like a very tough fight, glad we were all able to make it out alive! Glad that the morale drop will mean lots of time to recuperate from damage & losses.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2020, 04:29:37 pm »

Collarbones aren't even that important anyway.
Right?

I hadn't heard about the Enhanced LRMs before. Maybe the others should have been ER-LRMs to at least try and keep it consistent.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:31:36 pm by Rince Wind »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15