Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Choose the starting Era

3030s - 4th Succesion Wars, basic technology only, Star League 'Mechs are rare, Clans aren't a thing yet
- 1 (12.5%)
3040s - Renaissance era, basic technology, but advanced designs begin appearing. The dawn of the Clans
- 4 (50%)
3050s - Clan Invasion, Clan tech is rare but possible, while advanced IS design and tech starts appearing
- 3 (37.5%)
3060s - FedCom Civil War, widespread advanced tech in the Inner Sphere, Clan tech is slightly less rare
- 0 (0%)
3070s - Jihad era, Clan tech is uncommon, while everyone in the IS is running advanced technology.
- 0 (0%)
3140 - Dark Ages. Tech is... weird. You might have militarized agro-Mechs charging cutting edge Clan designs sold to IS troops.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Eclipse  (Read 42548 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Iron Brotherhood - A Battletech/MekHQ Let's Play: Operation Eclipse
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2020, 06:37:16 am »

Operation Eclipse – Week 10

Tuesday marked the 1st of August. PDF morale remained Low, but they tenaciously held on, despite the continued setbacks as the FedCom offensive rolled them back, capturing several key locations on the planet.

The unit market had nothing of interest to the Brotherhood, and repairs for the battered Crows continued. Both the Rapier and the Shilone needed complete Avionics refits, which still needed another 285 man-hours of work, or more then a month each of time in the repair bay. For better or worse, the Crows were done with their part in the campaign.

The next day, Hovi’s Hailstorm moved to engage support elements of the PDF that had been left behind the previous week. Two lances of PDF forces were detected trying to extract them.

The Brotherhood likewise dispatched two lances to support the Hailstorm, the Knights and the Kings.

Spoiler: Extraction (Defender) (click to show/hide)

AAR:
The Brotherhood suffered little damage during the battle – the Devastator was battered, and the infantry platoons had taken some hits, but overall it was a successful engagement.  Despite that, 4 of the field gun infantry and two of the jump infantry died in the battle, with three moderately wounded and one seriously wounded.

The Iron Brotherhood confirmed 3 PDF KIA and 4 more captured.

Captain Seija Hovi claimed the Firestarter, Panther the Vedette and one of the Wasps as kills.
Lieutenant JG Basuki Burtick claimed the Field Repair Unit and Coolant Trucks as kills
Lieutenant JG Mikko Kommonen claimed the Saladin Assault tank as a kill
Sergeant Eadan Brown claimed the Pegasus and Warrior as kills
Sergeant Jamilyn MacNidder claimed the LoaderMech and ConstructionMech as kills.

Operation Eclipse – Weeks 11-14

The Brotherhood stepped back to rest and refit, letting the Raiders maintain the momentum against the demoralized PDF.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2020, 08:18:20 pm »

only the Panther remained, facing a full company of the Iron Brotherhood.

The first thing to come to my head was: "I surrender!"

Obviously, with the mental picture of the Panther with its PPC and other arm raised in the air

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2020, 02:46:48 am »

For some reason, the AI chose to stay in the top-left hex and stay there for several turns, until it was the last unit left. Then it tried to jump into melee with the Devastator. It... didn't go well.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2020, 05:02:34 pm »

For some reason, the AI chose to stay in the top-left hex and stay there for several turns, until it was the last unit left. Then it tried to jump into melee with the Devastator. It... didn't go well.

Former Kurita pilot?  :P

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2020, 06:57:05 pm »

Well, he WAS driving a Panther ...

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2020, 02:05:38 am »

Operation Eclipse - Week 15

PDF Morale has collapsed to Very Low, and the Iron Brotherhood relaxes into their back-area garrison duties. Albus finds two odd models on the black market – brand new Phoenix Hawks of a type not seen before. Clutching the Phoenix Hawk’s trademark large laser in each hand, the PXH-3M uses an Endo-Steel chassis, XL Engine and double heat sinks to double and extend the venerable model’s long range firepower, while medium pulse lasers make it a more savage close range fighter. One machine gun is traded for an anti-missile system for defense, and all the ammo is protected in the left torso by CASE. In Albus’ opinion, it’s a massive improvement over their current models, and he risks arranging to purchase both. Surprisingly, both ‘Mechs arrive, and Lieutenant Vo trades in her original model Phoenix Hawk, and Corporal Larcher trades in his Wolverine for their brand-new ‘Mechs.

In a last-ditch attempt to exact some revenge on the hated mercenaries, the PDF ambushed Captain Nova with three heavy ‘Mechs.  Those poor, sorry fools.

You’d think they’d learn at some point, but it’s almost a tradition at this point!

Spoiler: Ambush (click to show/hide)

AAR:

Susanna’s Pillager suffered some light armor damage, and the unit turned over the Archers to the Raiders, not having the salvage room needed to claim one for themselves.

Operation Eclipse – Week 16
The Crows are once again cleared for flight, though there is no fighting remaining for them to take part in.

Operation Eclipse – Week 17
October marks the last (partial) month of the Iron Brotherhood’s contract. PDF morale remains Very Low, but they have surprisingly tenaciously refused to rout. AFFC command anticipates that Liao will soon have reinforcements inbound, and the Raiders are preparing to depart once enough Liao forces have been pulled off the border and rerouted to deal with the invasion.

The market carries two new interesting options – a CHP-W7-class Chippewa. While too slow to serve with the Crows, the massive weapons platform carries four large pulse lasers and more then enough double heat sinks to use them, as well as its array of LRMs, SRMs and medium lasers.

The other is a PXH-3S Phoenix Hawk, a new Steiner/FedCom variant of the design. Instead of EndoSteel, it makes use of Ferro Fibrous armor, alongside an XL Engine, double heatsinks and MASC technology to increase its running speed.  Its weapons array is less advanced then the Marik version, focusing on close range combat by retaining both machine guns but locating them both in the left arm, supported by medium lasers and a large pulse laser. Defense isn’t ignored, with the anti-missile system located in the right arm. The ammo is still protected by CASE.

Albus purchases this model as well, the Lancers almost becoming a homogenous unit of Phoenix Hawks at this point.  Jami Sonnborn is assigned to pilot this ‘Mech, trading in her old-model Griffin.

A week before final pullout, the Raiders made a special request of the Iron Brotherhood – they had located a Liao prison camp that contained a number of political prisoners that would make waves if they could be freed and repatriated to the St. Ives Commonality. One of the Iron Brotherhood’s fastest ‘Mechs was requested to stage the breakout itself, while the Raiders prepared to evacuate the prisoners.

Barred by mission requirements from simply deploying a Pillager (the Lyran scouting tactic, as they called it), Albus tapped Lieutenant Vo to take her new Phoenix Hawk out for a spin.

Spoiler: Prison Break (click to show/hide)

A week after the prison break, the Iron Brotherhood formally completed their contract with the AFFC and prepared to lift off. Intercepts indicated that they had finally roused a response from the Confederation, with the 1st, 2nd and 4th McCarron’s Armored Cavalry roused from their duty stations and assembled into a task force that was now inbound for the planet. They were particularly interested in crushing the Iron Brotherhood, and Kincaide had no intention of sticking around for that fight.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2020, 05:30:31 am »

I love Phoenix Hawks. One of my favourite Mechs.
I know it is just a prototype/very uncommon Star League variant, but I like to refit mine to PXH-1c "Special". Hardly ever use the ER-Large, but there isn't much more you can do with the chassis, it is pretty much out of crits, iirc. And I often lack anti infantry power anyway, so those MGs still serve a purpose, even though they have too much ammo.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2020, 09:03:27 am »

Another great end to a campaign!

Honestly at this point I'd be disappointed if our opponents didn't try and merc Nova with hilarious results.
I feel like she must be taking on a John Wick 'Baba Yaga'-esque legendary quality by now. Whispered tales in bars about how she can kill a whole company in just an Urbanmech.

And it looks like the Star League tech floodgates are slowly starting to open up. Should provide us with some very nice upgrades over the next year  8)

NickAragua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2020, 11:22:47 am »

Those high-tech Phoenix Hawks are pretty solid stuff. Of course, now we'll have to buy up ferro-fibrous armor and AMS ammo like nobody's business.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2020, 03:21:48 pm »

I love the idea that Susanna has this amazing Star League Gauss sniper and she uses it the same way she's used every other mech she's piloted; get in close and kick some legs off. Gauss range is just a distraction from the true power of the 'Mech.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2020, 07:07:50 pm »

To be fair, if your 100-ton murderbot has hands or enough leg articulation to do anything more complex than the big steppy, and you don't at least consider the option of turning warfare into a game of rock 'em sock 'em robots, something is wrong with you, the way you think, and the value system that produced you.

But enough about the tau clans, I just wanted to say this thread has made for some great reading and is roughly a third of the reason I got into Battletech. Or back into it, it's complicated.

Also, AMS is a godsend if you enable the rule allowing them to intercept multiple attacks. It's the only reason I'll even consider occupying the same hemisphere as an SRM carrier with an even remotely competent gunner.

I fear no man, but that... Thing.

It scares me.

Prototype improved jump jets are fun too, if you don't mind exploding when they take a hit.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]