Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: random crashes  (Read 2465 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
random crashes
« on: January 25, 2020, 09:20:10 am »

Hi all,

Relative noob here, having another go at this game after a hiatus of a few years.

Version I am playing is: 0.44.12 with lazy noob pack. DFHack enabled, and I sometimes run Dwarf Therapist. Using the default lazy noob pack tileset.

So far the game crashed while saving 1 time, and crashed twice while running. I googled around and heard a rumor that something called "twbt" might be related to random crashes if you use tilesets.

Specifically, I read somewhere that turning off a setting called "animations/twbt redraw_all 1" could help. The problem is that I have no idea where to find this setting. Any ideas?

Thanks!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: random crashes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 11:07:44 am »

TwbT = Text will be Text.
Assuming you use Lazy Newb Pack (and not some pack for an OS other than Windoze), you're using the Phoebus tile set. TwbT can be used together with it by going to the Graphics tab, the Advanced section, and then toggling Print Mode between 2D, Standard, TWBT, and TWBT_LEGACY. Thus, you change Print Mode to 2D or Standard if it was one of the TwbT versions. I don't remember if LNP defaults to using TwbT or not.

The redraw all setting is in some configuration file. I haven't had reason to try to locate it.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 03:28:04 am »

Sometimes Dwarf Therapist can also cause crashes,  usually if you try to refresh it during a migrant wave.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:21:09 am »

Could also be good, old-fashioned crashes. Save crashes can happen with giant worlds and adventure mode has a handful of crash bugs in it. Regular fortress is pretty stable.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:32:45 pm »

Could also be good, old-fashioned crashes. Save crashes can happen with giant worlds and adventure mode has a handful of crash bugs in it. Regular fortress is pretty stable.
Actual crashes in vanilla are fairly well documented as they get fixed pretty quickly when bug fixing comes around. Corrupt equipment after raiding is the main fortress crash bug right now. Then Nemesis in Adventurer where bits of the map are inexplicable crash zones.

Also something weird is going on with save corruption (maybe/maybe not related to save compression) which causes a bunch of weird Adventurer behaviour including crashes on unretire.

Have you been raiding recently?
And as the op said TWBT will crash Adventurer for sure. So look into that.