Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Libraries and Books  (Read 1236 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Libraries and Books
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 05:29:26 pm »

For Legendary something progress, I recall Archchrystal had a legendary Mathematican - might be worth a look.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • whip cracking mad overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 08:48:18 pm »

Very nice.  :)

Weirdly enough I have had dwarves who gained record keeper from pondering as well, but also dwarves who have not gained any.

From the Wiki: "The record keeper skill is also used by scholars when thinking about history topics".  But perhaps there is more to it?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 08:20:23 am »

Well, here's the thing. I had three experiments.

- A rank 2 chemist, who gained recordkeeping skill through pondering.
- A rank 2 geographer+rank5 recordkeeper, who gained recordkeeping skill through pondering.
- Another rank 2 geographer+rank5 recordkeeper because the first one had DF segmentfault during spring so I had to start anew, but none of the dwarves in this fortress gained recordkeeping while pondering.

So either I have found a bug, or there's something weird going on I haven't had any grasp on yet.

I've updated my forms post with more forms I managed to find with an adventurer scouring the library. I have confirmed that for .44.12 the writing gain is 50 writing, 12 wordsmith, flat, per written content. And am also trying to get my password reset email from the wiki :C
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2019, 10:42:12 am »

Yeah, it looks like dwarves pick a research area at start and then work on it, and some research areas share skills, so there isn't one to one skills to expected research match.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 01:07:07 pm »

Yeah, it looks like dwarves pick a research area at start and then work on it, and some research areas share skills, so there isn't one to one skills to expected research match.
Ah, it seems I have missed an element; they were pondering their research field and getting experience in their research field too, in addition to recordkeeper when they got it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 12:25:28 am »

Also they can get exp in up to 3 different skills in case of observer/tracker/record keeper trifecta, afaik.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 06:38:13 pm »

Also they can get exp in up to 3 different skills in case of observer/tracker/record keeper trifecta, afaik.

Yeah, I am slowly starting to get the feeling that it is both topics are what decides a scholar is a type of scholar, and that an assortment of skills are used for a given topic.

So, I decided to set up a fort for just paper making, so I have a place with a ton of quires. The idea being that I could then make an adventurer who'd go around making books and deliver them back to the fort so the fort would have a nice assortment of books in it's library.

I ended up getting super lucky, as it turned out one of my migrants was a historian who knew 16 out of the 20 history topics, including all the forms. Now here's the thing, when you have a library and assign a scholar who already knows topics that aren't in your library, they'll go and write manuals to put them in the library. I am wondering if this is also the case for bards and art forms... hm...

More surprisingly, if you have a master-apprentice relationship between your scholars, one will teach the other their topics directly. The books are more useful, certainly, but this was quite a surprise to me!

Anyway, I guess this further emphasizes that taking an immigrant or visiting scholar will help far far more than trying to setup a library with a starting dwarf as scholar.

Just putting this here for putting it in the wiki later, whenever I get my password recovered...

Technological treatise: The method of examining artifacts to determine how methods have changed over time.

Enxyclopedia: The compilation of many summaries into a single text.

EDIT: Of course topics teaching was in the wiki already, on a completely different page.
Scholars can also form master/apprentice relationships. The master will teach his apprentices about topics. A high teaching skill for the master and a high student skill for the apprentice leads to faster skill growth.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:03:30 pm by therahedwig »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 07:06:39 pm »

Yeah, I am slowly starting to get the feeling that it is both topics are what decides a scholar is a type of scholar, and that an assortment of skills are used for a given topic.

So, I decided to set up a fort for just paper making, so I have a place with a ton of quires. The idea being that I could then make an adventurer who'd go around making books and deliver them back to the fort so the fort would have a nice assortment of books in it's library.

I ended up getting super lucky, as it turned out one of my migrants was a historian who knew 16 out of the 20 history topics, including all the forms. Now here's the thing, when you have a library and assign a scholar who already knows topics that aren't in your library, they'll go and write manuals to put them in the library. I am wondering if this is also the case for bards and art forms... hm...

More surprisingly, if you have a master-apprentice relationship between your scholars, one will teach the other their topics directly. The books are more useful, certainly, but this was quite a surprise to me!

Anyway, I guess this further emphasizes that taking an immigrant or visiting scholar will help far far more than trying to setup a library with a starting dwarf as scholar.

Just putting this here for putting it in the wiki later, whenever I get my password recovered...

Technological treatise: The method of examining artifacts to determine how methods have changed over time.

Enxyclopedia: The compilation of many summaries into a single text.

EDIT: Of course topics teaching was in the wiki already, on a completely different page.
Scholars can also form master/apprentice relationships. The master will teach his apprentices about topics. A high teaching skill for the master and a high student skill for the apprentice leads to faster skill growth.

I hope you update the wiki with your discoveries.
I am an indie game developer!
My Roguelike on Itch.io with randomly generated creatures!
Roguelegends: Dark Realms
Check out the open source simulation game I am also developing!
Thrive
My website untrustedlife.com

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 12:56:52 pm »

I hope you update the wiki with your discoveries.
Well, I'll first need to get my wiki account password back for that :D

Today's experiment was about writing with the new forms, the results were a little less interesting. I have added them to my forms post, but basically, Autobiography does what you think it does, Genealogy, Technological Treatise and Biographical Dictionary don't seem to be implemented as trying to write them just results in essays (though, sometimes it seems this might also be caused by a lack of knowledge on my adventurer's part? I tried to interrogate my fellow adventurer about his family, but that didn't seem to make much of a difference, similar with the treatise and staring at artifacts).

What is cool though is that I can confirm that if you have a scholar in a retired fortress, and you run off with your adventurer, the scholar will continue to research. This was sorta expected with the way the research is stored in the histfig part of the unit, but this kinda confirms that you can basically set up a fort somewhere, equip it with a good tactical militia commander and a scholar, and then go off and do something else (like skedaddling across the country side like some kind of research journalist adventurer, or just start a different fort) and come back with the scholar have gotten further with their topic. I guess this makes up a little bit for research being so slow.

Ambre45

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Today at 08:01:09 am »

Nice discoveries
i discover a great online dice generator at : https://www.de-en-ligne.fr
Pages: 1 [2]