Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video - the Dwarven Fortress of Peakfortunes  (Read 1556 times)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Video - the Dwarven Fortress of Peakfortunes
« on: October 19, 2019, 01:45:05 pm »

https://youtu.be/_kpkQnaJElo

This is the fortress of Peakfortunes, seen partly in glorious Armok Vision. 13 mins commercial free walk through of a fortress in its early years. I think new players or veterans might get design ideas or inspiration, or just be entertained. Although this fort is young it has a resident vampire, and we're working on a waterfall and a magma forge.

Any suggestions for what I should do with a vampire lasher? Is there a way they can train their own team without eating them? Should I send them out to raid the world, or attempt to make a whole squad of vampires?
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Video - the Dwarven Fortress of Peakfortunes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 01:18:23 am »

I have a fortress, BattleBlister, that's aimed toward the dark stuff like that. I plan on attacking and subjugating the elves my nation's at war with, and part of that plan actually involves sending isolated Hellsing vampires (Vampire Necromancers) into elf country to terrorize and kill them. So, of course, what I would do with the random vampire is kill him in a well room cut off from the main fortress and then lock prospective vampires in after they've become legendary at a weapon. They'll drink from the well when they're thirsty.

Of course, if you want them alive and training people, you could just use a communal dorm for the squad so there's generally witnesses around. Vampires don't tend to drink when there's people watching.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 12:46:57 am »

I thought about the dorm.  I wasn't sure it would save them if the vampire got hungry enough.  I'm not sure whether to send out the vampire on raids hoping their vampire nature will let them succeed or to select an elite group of warriors to become vampires.  The only way I can think of to do that would basically spend the vampire to create the others.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:53:53 am »

Not necessarily. Contaminants still spread, don't they? Injure the vampire by unequipping a boot or something, and have them walk on spikes until they bleed. Then have them stop. Vampire will need to heal in the hospital, but you could use water on the floor to spread the contaminants down into a well. Lock selected legendaries in the well room until they get thirsty and watch them turn. Might throw them all in a separate barracks. If they're JUST vampires and no necromancy is involved, they won't be much of a threat to each other outside of snapping from stress. Make it a really good barracks and use cage traps to capture enemies for feeding them.