Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Meeting With Death  (Read 2840 times)

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
A Meeting With Death
« on: October 20, 2019, 09:10:18 pm »

Urist McMiner was doing his job, when eventually his status changed to "Attending a Meeting".
But he didn't move from that spot, that corner where he was mining. He just stood there, attending the "meeting".

I wondered if he was trapped under a boulder or something (because he wasn't moving from that spot), but everything was okay. The exit from the mine wasn't blocked (I even enlarged the entrance to that particular room where Urist McMiner was standing into.

Eventually, I gave up and locked him there behind a wall (I started getting scared that he might be up to something, he was starting to dehydrate and get very stressed out).

Soon the miner simply died and the fortress continued its saga, but nobody ever discovered what happened to Urist McMiner and that lonely "meeting".

Has anyone else experienced something like this?
I have nothing to put here

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Meeting With Death
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 09:13:51 pm »

Where was the mayor/expedition leader at the time?

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:16:51 pm »

I don't remember exactly, but my custom embark usually sets the mechanic as Expedition Leader, so they probably were in the workshops.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 04:30:47 am »

Did you bury Urist McMiner? I'd be curious to see if his ghost would still try to pursue the meeting after death.

I once had a visiting mercenary die just when he was petitioning for residence. After a while he rose up as a ghost and finished his petition (accepted, of course!)
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 04:39:22 am »

Citizens set to attend a meeting are scheduled to meet the expedition leader/mayor. The most common reason for this is that the citizen is stressed and has scheduled a meeting to vent that stress by crying at the shoulder/yell at the workforce manager (that role is performed first by the expedition leader and then taken over by the mayor) at the manager's office. If there is no path to the workforce manager's office, or, possibly, no office has been appointed, I'd expect the citizen to be rooted in place until a path becomes available.
Also note that if the citizen is assigned to a burrow and the workforce manager's office isn't inside any of the burrow's designations, there the destination is unavailable until that restriction is lifted.

The expedition leader/mayor also gets scheduled for a meeting when one is scheduled, of course, and there are additional meeting types (petitions for residency/citizenship, artifact demands, trade liaison, and diplomat, at least), and I think some of these duties are handled by the civ appointed noble/monarch, taking over diplomatic duties from the expedition leader).

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:46:57 am »

Did you bury Urist McMiner? I'd be curious to see if his ghost would still try to pursue the meeting after death.

I once had a visiting mercenary die just when he was petitioning for residence. After a while he rose up as a ghost and finished his petition (accepted, of course!)

I buried him but due to my own chaotic mind I ended up losing the save.

Citizens set to attend a meeting are scheduled to meet the expedition leader/mayor. The most common reason for this is that the citizen is stressed and has scheduled a meeting to vent that stress by crying at the shoulder/yell at the workforce manager (that role is performed first by the expedition leader and then taken over by the mayor) at the manager's office. If there is no path to the workforce manager's office, or, possibly, no office has been appointed, I'd expect the citizen to be rooted in place until a path becomes available.
Also note that if the citizen is assigned to a burrow and the workforce manager's office isn't inside any of the burrow's designations, there the destination is unavailable until that restriction is lifted.

The expedition leader/mayor also gets scheduled for a meeting when one is scheduled, of course, and there are additional meeting types (petitions for residency/citizenship, artifact demands, trade liaison, and diplomat, at least), and I think some of these duties are handled by the civ appointed noble/monarch, taking over diplomatic duties from the expedition leader).

That might be the case. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!