Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to path bridges?  (Read 5033 times)

Iyiyt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Unable to path bridges?
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:52:49 pm »

I'm having an issue with pathing with regards to bridges, I've built a wooden bridge on the surface level above a 1 Z-level ditch and for some reason trying to link the bridge to a lever results in a "cannot reach site" error. To my knowledge there's no reason the dwarves can't reach the bridge, and I've watched dwarves and animals cross over the thing to get in and out of the fort all the time. Unfortunately I don't have screenshots but is this a noob issue or a glitch? The bridge only covers the area of the land gap, but every time I try to build it so that it overlaps land areas the dwarves refuse to design it. I'd appreciate any help some more experienced dorfers could offer!

Edit: It was pathing issues, thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:55:10 pm by Iyiyt »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to path bridges?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:18:02 am »

Try finding if your lever pathing breaks somewhere by trying to build something next to lever and next to bridge and seeing if you can build the same furniture at both locations.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 04:22:40 am »

I believe raising bridges require support underneath the tile the bridge swings to when raised, although I thought you couldn't designate that kind of bridges without support, while retracting bridges don't need that supporting tile. If, for some reason, you managed to nevertheless create a raising bridge without support I'd expect trouble when trying to hook it up.

A bridge supported by land has to sit on top of it, i.e. it cannot be dug into a cliff (but you can carve out a niche before designating the bridge). Similarly, there have to be a way for the dorf to reach the building site and, typically, be able to access it from a tile perpendicular (i.e. not diagonal) to the building site (when that requirement is fulfilled, dorfs can happily stand in a diagonal tile and do the work, but only if there is a perpendicular one available. DF logic...).

Asking for help from psychopaths is probably completely useless unless you can offer them some compensation, as the condition implies a total lack of empathy, and thus a lack of motivation for them to help.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 04:41:15 pm »

Do you have a burrow enabled?  Burrowed dwarves can path outside the burrow, but can't reach jobs outside it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 12:16:37 pm »

Check if there is a tree growing through the center of your bridge. If so, removing the tree should allow your dwarves to link the bridge.