Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Now u habe map

Cool
Bruh that's fake news

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 59

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress -Drawings- : Tales of the Deer Wizard  (Read 150544 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

Ah-hm. Is Flax a vampire?
Also also, those were our folks getting slaughtered. Should we be worried?

Wield our power: call grass from the frozen ground. Let's try and weave ourself a fanny pouch to stow this vial in.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

That dream, or was it a dream? Maybe it was a vision, of things that have happened, or maybe of things yet to come?
Maybe an ancient memory, from another time.

But one thing is clear is of that wizard in our dream and that is his name... a name that would send cold shivers down anyone's spine:

"Wraithcaller, The one that would drape the world in shadow..."

hehehe... sorry.

As for the blood vial? Weren't we taught to never play with blood? Its unclean. Best we toss it as far as we can.

And i suppose Elév, whatever his mission was, completed it. Or maybe he's still around, and just watching from the shadows... Some people say that the eyes of owls can see everything, even through any illusion.

We can sense magical energies, so lets use that ability on the blood vial, see if we can sense anything. Then we can make further descisions based on that.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That bottle could have paint in it for all we know.

+1 To magical examination of the bottle, and if we can magic the grass why don't we make a backpack or pants instead of a fannypack, I mean we don't want to look like a tourist wandering around with one of those.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The last part of the story was truly great ! I started reading ToDW only a few days ago but now I catched up with the development of the story. And it's thrilling ! I particularly like the realism of the characters' ways of thinking and the quality of the drawings. To me, they are reminiscent of some old canadian paintings with a "dusty feel", like those of Marc-Aurele de Foy Suzor-Cote (better copy-paste to google it). I'm not actually saying that you're an artistic master, but I'm saying that you put a lot of efforts in your drawings and that it makes very good results. Continue your good work Q'uaksna !

And about the dream in the last part, it makes me think to an interesting book about shamanism I started reading ( it's all your fault Q'uaksna ! :) ) In the book, it's stated that spirits, and potentially dark spirits, can communicate with shamans while they are dreaming. Also, here's a related excerpt:

"Spirits have consciousness and intelligence on the model of humans, and so can engage a shaman in either a physical battle or a battle of wits. The idea of the battle is borrowed from warfare or from hunting among the living, and the imagery will include blood and gore, or the catching of souls in a trap."

- The Shaman, Piers Vitebsky, 1995

I'm not going to take part to our course of action in the next part, because I know you're preparing it right now, but I'm eager to participate to the follow up ! I just hope I'm not making English mistakes ! And it's my very first post as a Bay Watcher !  *a bunch of confettis is thrown in the air*

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The last part of the story was truly great ! I started reading ToDW only a few days ago but now I catched up with the development of the story. And it's thrilling ! I particularly like the realism of the characters' ways of thinking and the quality of the drawings. To me, they are reminiscent of some old canadian paintings with a "dusty feel", like those of Marc-Aurele de Foy Suzor-Cote (better copy-paste to google it). I'm not actually saying that you're an artistic master, but I'm saying that you put a lot of efforts in your drawings and that it makes very good results. Continue your good work Q'uaksna !

And about the dream in the last part, it makes me think to an interesting book about shamanism I started reading ( it's all your fault Q'uaksna ! :) ) In the book, it's stated that spirits, and potentially dark spirits, can communicate with shamans while they are dreaming. Also, here's a related excerpt:

"Spirits have consciousness and intelligence on the model of humans, and so can engage a shaman in either a physical battle or a battle of wits. The idea of the battle is borrowed from warfare or from hunting among the living, and the imagery will include blood and gore, or the catching of souls in a trap."

- The Shaman, Piers Vitebsky, 1995

I'm not going to take part to our course of action in the next part, because I know you're preparing it right now, but I'm eager to participate to the follow up ! I just hope I'm not making English mistakes ! And it's my very first post as a Bay Watcher !  *a bunch of confettis is thrown in the air*
Welcome aboard, and to the forums :D!

Q, you can now say it with pride that you've created a thread that made someone register on the forums for it. Maybe at one point this'll have as many regs to its name as Archcrystal does :P
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, I just discovered I'm only an Escaped Lunatic ! I guess I'll have to gather up all those confettis for my tenth post ::) ! This is so funny ! And I'll try to use less exclamation points but that's too hard ! :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 04:41:20 pm by Yellow Pixel »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile

. . .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still no action, but since Elév is gone, there's nothing that would slow down your progress. By the next update you should reach the hamlet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 08:30:53 am by Quaksna »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it's Elév's magic that emenates from the bottle, it may be related to the bloodbind thing. Elév and Flax are probably starting forget that we're not their friends and we're merely complying with Flax because he threatened us and our tribe. Whatever it is, nothing good can come from playing with blood. Again, we should just toss the bag and the vial in it as far as we can instead of playing along with whatever scheme they've got going on!

Also, isn't there something about  "talking to a wall"? hehehe. It was a human one, i think. But i suppose his name does make a lot more sense, now. I wonder if its a nickname or was someone truly cruel enough to mock their child in this way?

The pants, they are silly and ill fitting and will restrict our movement. And it may get a bit too hot down there for... us if we need to go to a warmer place, what with that fur and all. We could break them down again, and make a loincloth that would fit us way better.

As for Pik being "drowsy", he just woke up, yes, but he should be at full attention by the time he reaches the campfire, its like he's not slept at all... The watch works in shifts, some sleep while others watch... i wonder if Pik has trouble sleeping? Nightmares perhaps?

Since we've got idle time we might as well practice magic again, that way we can also see how Pik responds to magics Specifically we should try summoning something. It'll be our bread and butter if we need to fight something, so its best to get summoning things down. Wolves can fight, and smell things. Owls, Hawks and Eagles can see things and also have talons. Bats can hear things, and are an annoyance.
While we can barely influence fire or the winds, we've been consistently good at summoning so that's what we should focus on.

Also, regarding Pik's drowsiness, Lets ask him about that, whether he cant sleep well?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lets summon some things! And also make small talk.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I particularly like the fact that our relations with the other characters, like Olo, are getting more elaborate ! Such complex relations are lacking in many fantasy stories.

And about our course of action, lets summon the spirit of a wolf to be able to defend us or our party.

Also, regarding Pik's drowsiness, Lets ask him about that, whether he cant sleep well?
+1

If we become more and more confident in our magical abilities, maybe we could eventually summon a grizzly bear, as it is a fiercer animal of the cold wilderness, or maybe even a pack of wolves someday !

And I think we should keep the vial of blood for now to give the feeling to Flax and Elév that we are their friend, but that we don't want to proceed to the bloodbound spell (we will probably never want it !). I also don't think that we can be forced to proceed to it without our will. Finally, I agree that our pants are ill fitting and that we should change them. But maybe we don't have enough material to make a loincloth for now ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:32:21 am by Yellow Pixel »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You guys have discord? 'Cause Q'uaksna got enlightened and another bizarre idea occured to him, a freakin' Deer Discord. Now that I've got more regular readers than... Eh... Superdorf, maybe we could chat sometimes, I would love to. The only problem would be we're all scattered all around the world and we probably couldn't assemble at the same time... What you guys think? Maybe PM me instead of posting, we want the thread nice and clean.

Apart from that, your ideas are being processed, but I overslept today and missed the chance to work on a script  >:(. This is gonna take some time...

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You guys have discord? 'Cause Q'uaksna got enlightened and another bizarre idea occured to him, a freakin' Deer Discord. Now that I've got more regular readers than... Eh... Superdorf, maybe we could chat sometimes, I would love to. The only problem would be we're all scattered all around the world and we probably couldn't assemble at the same time... What you guys think? Maybe PM me instead of posting, we want the thread nice and clean.

Apart from that, your ideas are being processed, but I overslept today and missed the chance to work on a script  >:(. This is gonna take some time...
Just lemme put my voice out there that i refuse to use Discord, for any reason. Mostly because it is just one huge walking privacy violation. Not to mention i have bad experiences with friend groups and Discord, i was in a Clan on Warframe at one point, nice tight-knit group, they started to use discord and BAM, the Clan's death-knell was rung, it wasn't long after that that the activity in it slowed to a crawl, and we all just eventually quit. I dunno, maybe they kept going on Discord, but clan, the reason why were together in the first place, was dead.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just lemme put my voice out there that i refuse to use Discord, for any reason. Mostly because it is just one huge walking privacy violation. Not to mention i have bad experiences with friend groups and Discord, i was in a Clan on Warframe at one point, nice tight-knit group, they started to use discord and BAM, the Clan's death-knell was rung, it wasn't long after that that the activity in it slowed to a crawl, and we all just eventually quit. I dunno, maybe they kept going on Discord, but clan, the reason why were together in the first place, was dead.
Okay, elders have spoken, I drop it!

No seriously, I don't have much experience with it, I don't use things like this anyway. I thought it would be cool to pile up Insights, because they're growing uncontrollably  ;D. But let's do with what we have. Thanks for the reply!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm gonna say that I also wouldn't be on the Discord, as from what I've heard of it it sounds like social media and I want nothing to do with social media.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm gonna say that I also wouldn't be on the Discord, as from what I've heard of it it sounds like social media and I want nothing to do with social media.

If it's so, I lost sympathy for it as well, then. Social media should be a curse word.

King Zultan and Strik3r are hereby arbitarily granted blessing for sharing similar traits with Q'uaksna.

I also forgot to welcome Yellow Pixel here. So, welcome! Glad you like the story and keep up with the updates. As you posted that about the relationships between all the characters, that's a huge praise for me, thanks! I have some vague idea of an overarching story, and don't have all the story segments pre-planned, so I usually go with my characters and try to imagine how would they act in the situation. It's more about the characters themselves. Good to hear it works  ;D!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 59