Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Now u habe map

Cool
Bruh that's fake news

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress -Drawings- : Tales of the Deer Wizard  (Read 144868 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

That was as every bit awesome as i hoped it would be. Great work, Q.
...Just beware of power creep, okay? and try to manage it. Lets not become an anime.

Also i'm surprised that the titan's spirit disappeared... Normally they don't do that... But maybe, maybe there's something else going on?
But i suppose never in the subsequence did i outright state that aside from being consumed by wraiths, spirits don't really die. Oh well.

I suppose now would be a fine time to deliver last of Nami's exposition on the spirit world and the big secret.

Behold:

oof.
I'm spent after writing that. I'm gonna think of a proper turn to take later.

EDIT: Actions.

It's a difficult, hard decision to undertake but... Eject the spirit within us in hope that Crackantler will chase after it. Only if he does, grab the spirit seed and guard it until such time that we decide what to do with.
Else, if crackantler DOESN'T chase the released spirit... I dunno, but we've just safely released a spirit whose release would've been much more complicated otherwise...

Also, BTW Q. I don't know if you can see who votes on the polls, but in case you can't; I never do. I'd rather let the story evolve and grow organically.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:06:40 am by Strik3r »
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

Raw, living power.

The slightest portion should be more than enough to knit Flax's bones. The rest needs to go back into the land.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Raw, living power.

The slightest portion should be more than enough to knit Flax's bones. The rest needs to go back into the land.
+1 I guess we should also see if we can't get that knife back out of the corpse before we go as well.

Also should we go explore that hole we found in the ruins earlier, might be something useful inside.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This fight was so epic! :D

It was additionally a very intense demonstration of power, but I don't consider it was excessively so. I think it was rather the authentic display of the strenghts of our characters, in a situation where only the unleashing of tremendous forces could lead to a victory. I just felt that the death of the titan came a bit fast after Flax had plunged his arm into it's entrails, though I guess he did a fatal blow to some vital organ, at a moment where the beast was already largely disabled? Nonetheless, whatever may be said, the battle was a great event to behold!

But at present, we have the apparent fading of a spirit to take into consideration...

My interpretation of it, since we can feel that the Tundra Titan "has left behind his worldly power", as well as a seed of life, and because we know that spirits aren't supposed to die, like Strik3r pointed out, is simply that the titan's spirit would now be contained in the seed. This possibility could furthermore answer the questioning of Nami in our spiritual revelation, as the disappearance of the spirit and the appearance of the seed might be due to the integration of the spirit into the seed, something that could be compared to a conversion in a primal form. Also, concerning Nami's revelation (wich is an excellent writing piece by the way), I admit that I will need more time to fully analyse the elaborate knowledge it contains, besides the many implications it could bring about.

Then, the story states that "when the titan was angered, it must've disrupted the balance" and that "perhaps it was dormant before?" So, from my point of view, it's as if the titan was previously in a dormant state beneath the sacred ruins, that it had been awoken by an evil power (directly or indirectly), and that it was its great anger that had put all the spirits of the land in turmoil... The only other explanation I could easily imagine, would be that the titan came here from somewhere else when it sensed that the ruins had been put in danger by a wicked being, and that it would have been the beginning of the great disruption.

But in any case, it would ascertain, as I stated in other posts, that the Tundra Titan was a positive force of nature. And for that matter, its last words seem to support the idea: "Impressive. Perhaps you spoke truth after all, well... Your further deeds will tell." But as to why the titan was so put toward our destruction, the mystery remains.

So now comes the moment of determining what are to be our further deeds:

More than anything, I believe we must plant the seed in the sacred ruins, because it is obviously there that it belongs, and it is also the only way to give back its vital essence. Otherwise, the distressed spirits of the land would never be appeased and the holy ground would eventually become a place of death, like we and Flax had firstly perceived:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moreover, the apparent truth about the seed has lately been unveiled to us in the story: "I can plant it, and the spirits should return... Or..."

What I thus suggest is very simply to take the seed and plant it in the ruins, while countering any attempt of Crackantler to consume it. But I really don't understand why we would need to eject the green spirit within us and use it as a bait for our wraith friend, since we are presently able to prevent him from eating the seed. And regardless, we must fully avoid the possibility that Crackantler would be more attracted by the seed than the spirit and snatch it.

On a separate note, we should also consider helping Flax in his extrication process, because it must be somewhat unpleasant to have the legs crushed under the belly of such a colossal beast! :)) So I suppose that we and Sas will have to dig through the titan's body to free Flax's legs, wich should be a quite long and tedious job, and for this, it would be very convenient to find the lost knife...

I finally agree with the propositions of Superdorf and King Zultan.

Edit: I changed the word "abusively" for "excessively". You see, I'm a French speaker and the word is often far less harsh in my language.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 05:18:37 pm by Yellow Pixel »

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile

You see, I'm a French speaker

You're le Pixel, then.

. . .

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Shush..."
Seriously? Is that all it really takes to quell crackantler's boundless hunger for that spirit? is that seriously all the respect he deserves as an adversary?

Whatever.

The voices within your mind lie silent. The little echo of Nami having delivered its message and spent its energy for now. The other, the one of the wraith, is perhaps plotting, scheming, preparing or simply watching with anticipation what is to unfold.

"What?! No...! My relation with wraiths is an unfortunate one..."

"But you seem knowledgeable about the Wraithcaller. Who are you?"

"More importantly, what are you? I've never seen that kind of power before... Whose power is it that you wield?!"
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some times you get lucky and telling the villain to shut up actually works.

Lets keep the fighting stance just in case he tries to attack, and ask them questions.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rathegaru's on a rock, speeding,
Over the snowy fields, he's racing,
Craving magicks high-level,
Rides like the devil.

Some times you get lucky and telling the villain to shut up actually works.
My intuition tells me that it will be much more difficult to get this old man out of the way...

I believe that he wants the power of the seed of life for himself, and that he was patiently hiding in the ruins when we were doing all the hard work by ourselves. So I see him as a wicked and opportunistic person, who will cheat us at any occasion. However, it looks like he has a doubt in his mind, and thinks we might be Wraithcaller. We cannot know though if he fears this corrupt being, or if he could consider collaborating with him. The only certainty is that he his aware of our magical strength.

Therefore, I think we should take advantage of his doubt, and the first thing I would be inclined doing is to bluff. We could thus say that we are Wraithcaller, and something like: "Don't you feel the darkness inside me?". Then, we could menace him and tell him not to interfere with our undertakings. I also consider it would be justified to lie, because we must protect the seed, but if we take this course of action, and he discovers we are trying to fool him, we might draw his ire on us. So we could alternatively tell him we aren't Wraithcaller, BUT that our magic faculties rival his. That way, he would stay wary of us.

And whatever choices we take, I agree to ask him questions, like who he is, and what is the nature of his powers, but I'm against the idea of saying that we have never seen that kind of power before and put emphasis on this fact. It might make him assume that we are impressed by his magical abilities, and increase his confidence in his capacity to overwhelm us.

Afterwards, if he still wants to fight, the fastest attack would probably be... another sharp spike of ice? And if we manage to salvage the seed, I think we should wait that the old man isn't around anymore before planting it.

I finally would like to know the opinion of the other players on my different ideas.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:53:39 pm by Yellow Pixel »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Therefore, I think we should take advantage of his doubt, and the first thing I would be inclined doing is to bluff. We could thus say that we are Wraithcaller, and something like: "Don't you feel the darkness inside me?".

I vehemently disagree. If we do this and he's aligned against the Wraithcaller, he'll strike us down without a second thought. If he's on the side of the Wraithcaller, he'll ask us to demonstrate our power, which we can't do. Even if Crackantler agrees to be summoned (and he might have to be anyway, at the cost of slightly corrupting our own spirit), summoning one wraith isn't going to cut it. And we don't actually know anything in the field of dark magicks.

It's better that we try to remain in a neutral position if we can.

So we could alternatively tell him we aren't Wraithcaller, BUT that our magic faculties rival his. That way, he would stay wary of us.

And whatever choices we take, I agree to ask him questions, like who he is, and what is the nature of his powers, but I'm against the idea of saying that we have never seen that kind of power before and put emphasis on this fact. It might make him assume that we are impressed by his magical abilities, and increase his confidence in his capacity to overwhelm us.

Something like that. Perhaps yes, we should pretend not to be surprised but rather... Bemused by his display of power. Something to the effect of "That's a nice trick there... Where'd you learn it?"

Edit: If we need an arrogant and belittling personality to imitate, we could attempt to channel Nami herself. It can't be that difficult since we already have her echo within our mind.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 03:37:02 pm by Strik3r »

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I vehemently disagree. If we do this and he's aligned against the Wraithcaller, he'll strike us down without a second thought. If he's on the side of the Wraithcaller, he'll ask us to demonstrate our power, which we can't do. Even if Crackantler agrees to be summoned (and he might have to be anyway, at the cost of slightly corrupting our own spirit), summoning one wraith isn't going to cut it. And we don't actually know anything in the field of dark magicks.

It's better that we try to remain in a neutral position if we can.
Ah, yes... I didn't realize that saying we are Wraithcaller could backfire in so many ways. Thank you to enlighten me on that point!

Something like that. Perhaps yes, we should pretend not to be surprised but rather... Bemused by his display of power. Something to the effect of "That's a nice trick there... Where'd you learn it?"
This is good. +1

If we need an arrogant and belittling personality to imitate, we could attempt to channel Nami herself. It can't be that difficult since we already have her echo within our mind.
And what a charming idea you got here! I'm sure that communing with Nami's mind could prove pretty useful to try beating Rathegaru in a battle of wits... +1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 To all the things.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile

Seriously? Is that all it really takes to quell crackantler's boundless hunger for that spirit? is that seriously all the respect he deserves as an adversary?

Well yes but actually no. Okay I should probably address this properly - The way I see it Crack is in an inherently weaker position right now and he can not get past you. The only way he could reach the seed now is if you yourself let him, or forget about him (basically become a Q'uaksna  :P) and thus he was free to seize it. He could lash out and fight, but the odds aren't in his favor, so rather than that he would corrupt you over time, step by step. But looking back, none of this was properly communicated to you, and I take the blame, I apologize. The moment was not meant for laughs, it was more of Black being dismissive/slightly annoyed that he has this constant burden, not trying to be cocky or just being a jerk. Again, I am sorry, I still need to figure out how to work with Crack. Also I am very forgetful, it's pretty likely I wanted to delve more into it but memory failed me. Thanks for sticking to this project regardless. I absolutely love your dynamic in the replies, the way you are able to change minds of one another, just wow.
I don't deserve this.

. . .

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:04:49 pm by Quaksna »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[ I absolutely love your dynamic in the replies, the way you are able to change minds of one another, just wow.
I don't deserve this.
You absolutely deserve it! You cultivated the culture of this thread to be what it is and embraced it; all the theorycrafting/headcannon, the unparalleled influence that the players have on the direction... Sometimes i think you give us(and me especially) way too much leeway, but i'm grateful for it, else i don't think this game and this story would be the same.

Thank You for making this project. :D No one else could make ToDW.

Now onto what i think we should do:

I guess we should probably check on our companions and see if can get them back up.

Then, lets snag some of the titan's fur, for those cloaks.

We should also take note of the direction Ratheganu takes off in on his rock. Just in case we want to visit his organization... For whatever reason. It's not entirely impossible that Rufithiìnevi (Gravemoth) and his chosen host, the Soulcatcher, would be in that direction, intent on fighting the necromancers, as the  Soulcatcher is about the closest thing to a 'Paladin'. Or perhaps they may be allied with/leading the necromancers, as Soulcatcher/Gravemoth are bit like necromancers themselves, wielding souls of the dead as a weapon. That is if he's managed to turn them toward the side of good which is unlikely but possible.

Either way, going to a potentially hostile necromancer's camp or whatever without the backing of someone like Rufithiìnevi, who can banish undead, is a huge risk. Or at least the help of any great spirit at minimum.

EDIT: Also wanted to congratulate you on making your 777th post, Q. :P I think it being an update to ToDW bodes well for it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:17:39 am by Strik3r »

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool! We've made one more dark buddy! :P The seed is safe also, wich is a relief.

So now we can:
check on our companions and see if can get them back up.

And I agree to:
snag some of the titan's fur, for those cloaks.
I'm sure they will be very comfortable and sneaky, but there will be perhaps a downside to walk around in the snow with them: henceforth, we'll look like a band of three small yetis! Not that I dislike yetis, but still... :P

Then, I believe the most imperative thing to do will be to plant the seed, ere the wraith gets too hungry. However, despite the great significance of the act, we should probably wait a reasonable time before, because I'm afraid that if we don't, our dear friend Ratheganu will feel the huge surge of life energy that the seed should release, even from miles away. I'm pretty sure he would rather expect us to devour or corrupt it.

Meanwhile, we could collect the fur for the cloaks while watching the seed, and we could ask Flax and Sas to explore the hole in the ruins, or at least clear out its entrance. Maybe it will help us to finally clarify the dire events that happened there.

And once everything is done, we should get some sleep, so to be bright eyed and bushy tailed before continuing our adventure toward Flax's settlement. I really think that our potential visit to the necromantic organization should wait after our forthcoming meeting with Rufithiìnevi, as he might tell us more about the nature of this worrisome Melabil society and join us to fight it, if it becomes necessary.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 to the above things. Also I think we still need to get the knife since that guy interrupted us getting it back, because we need it to get the fur from the body, also how are we gonna cure the hide so it wont rot as I don't think we have the stuff to do that on hand.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59