Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Place to put stuff I write online but only viewable to people I link it to.  (Read 10115 times)

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

I've been writing a couple of ideas for anime series and posting it here because it's just something that was just being born out of my mind without much effort but it was really hampering my ability to do my job. Found out writing it down helped and since I figured it was highly unlikely to be published due to my name is non existant in the industry and that I'm an American.

So I just figured when I am writing it to show to a small community to read it and maybe to get some comments on it. Only one comment on it so far but since people are reading it, I want to still let people read what I have written but now it's outgrown the OP section and I dont know if there's a site that I can have it unlisted except for people I link it too and have a view counter to see how many people have read it or would keeping it on bay12 and have a different setup work out better for what I want?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:45:37 pm by SquatchHammer »
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

google drive?

If your user base has google accounts, then the sharing can be done on a per account basis.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

mega.nz provides encryption and 5 gigs of free storage. That's plenty for writing.

You can send keys to files, which can be downloaded without an account or viewed with an account.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Dropbox also has link access only settings.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been writing an anime series and posting it here because it's just something that was just being born out of my mind without much effort but it was really hampering my ability to do my job. Found out writing it down helped and since I figured it was highly unlikely to be published due to my name is non existant in the industry and that I'm an American.

Writing an "anime"? I recommend being more careful with the terminology. If it's a short story series then a Japanese person would call those webnovels or light novels, even if they had in mind that it could be an anime one day. As rule of thumb, 200 pages of light novel tends to amount to about 4 episodes of anime once they adapt it.

One thing to keep in mind is that since you're not native Japanese then you're missing out a lot of context from those shows. Subs can't get much of that nuance. So, yeah you could write a Japanese-influenced story then get it translated into Japanese. However it's likely that you'd only be presenting them with stuff they already have, but without the cultural and linguistic layers that their normal stuff has. Remember, the specific plot and events in an adventure series aren't really as important as relatable characters and dialogue.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:26:44 am by Reelya »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

See you edited there, OP. Maybe a free PHP forum would do you well. No one will really stumble on there unless they're /really/ searching.

You could also start a blogspot or other free blog, which will equally get zero traffic. Especially if your key words are 'manga', 'anime', etc. It's in a sea of weeb and unlikely to be notoced in searches.

If it's just for fun and you're not attempting to make it into a living, then those should be fine.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

I've been writing an anime series and posting it here because it's just something that was just being born out of my mind without much effort but it was really hampering my ability to do my job. Found out writing it down helped and since I figured it was highly unlikely to be published due to my name is non existant in the industry and that I'm an American.

Writing an "anime"? I recommend being more careful with the terminology. If it's a short story series then a Japanese person would call those webnovels or light novels, even if they had in mind that it could be an anime one day. As rule of thumb, 200 pages of light novel tends to amount to about 4 episodes of anime once they adapt it.

One thing to keep in mind is that since you're not native Japanese then you're missing out a lot of context from those shows. Subs can't get much of that nuance. So, yeah you could write a Japanese-influenced story then get it translated into Japanese. However it's likely that you'd only be presenting them with stuff they already have, but without the cultural and linguistic layers that their normal stuff has. Remember, the specific plot and events in an adventure series aren't really as important as relatable characters and dialogue.

Well, it was just a couple of anime ideas. I could probably write it as a light novel but I enjoy thinking about how it would look like a as I am watching it.

See you edited there, OP. Maybe a free PHP forum would do you well. No one will really stumble on there unless they're /really/ searching.

You could also start a blogspot or other free blog, which will equally get zero traffic. Especially if your key words are 'manga', 'anime', etc. It's in a sea of weeb and unlikely to be notoced in searches.

If it's just for fun and you're not attempting to make it into a living, then those should be fine.

Well, I was looking places that are trusted vs something that I come across.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if you don't want it found, livejournal or myspace

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile

Wait, Myspace is still around?!

King of Candy Island.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah of course it is. Just because a site is less popular than before doesn't mean it ceases to exist.