Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Judgment call...what should the 0.2.3 release trigger be?

Drop-dead July 14th.  We have properly addicting weeds, that's good enough.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should cross-link items within the documentation pages where reasonable.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should give us a withdrawal syndrome summary page.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should do both of the above.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 08:29:40 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Cataclysm:Z  (Read 30958 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm:Z
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2019, 08:13:50 am »

Posting to watch!
Love, scriver~

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 06:00:33 pm »

0.2.0 release cut, release-mode Win64 build.  Status section as of time of release:

Status
The latest release that plays like a (accidentally) bug-fixed C:Whales is 0.2.0 : https://github.com/zaimoni/Cataclysm/releases/tag/V0.2.0 .  (Unlike earlier stable releases, this is a release-mode build.)

Debug-mode builds of both unstable, and Pryzbylski's Star, previews of the next version may be downloaded from the same URL as the latest stable release.

Trunk is open to both user-visible bugfixes and user-visible new/changed gameplay.  If I don't get guidance, both completing tile support, and ex nihilo modding support, will get priority.

Policy regarding how many of each build type (unstable i.e. "should be playable, if quirked" and Pryzbylski's Star i.e. "may be critically, unplayably buggy") is up for discussion.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2019, 08:26:22 am »

Didn't noticed there's been a release.
Downloaded the not-"unstable" version and got a "missing vcruntime140_1.dll" error.
the vcruntime i assume is part of a MSVC thingy.

I thought it was odd as i already had all the versions of those runtimes as so many games required different version already, so i checked and noticed there was a msvc this year by any chances and indeed there was a 2019 one released a bit before summer.
For people wanting to install it, the 32bits or 64bits version of that 2019 redist are there :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads
So i guess your cataclysm:z is the first game i ever play to required this version :D

After installing, the game worked. I decided to make a random character and leave the name empty to get a random one
My observations :
- i miss an option menu supposedly i am supposed to be able to change the options in the "Help" menu but i found no such thing in the Help menu (edit : oh i had misread it, it's "2" in the help menu)
- the font is rather huge and some messages then do not fit the default size of the window :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- once i completed the character and pressing Y key in the screenshots , i waited, then waited and waited for a long time, and still no game so i guess it was just stuck there and i decided to force- end and quit the window.
i see no log file so no idea if it's indeed a bug or if it's just more incredibly long to wait before playing.

Relaunched the game and redid a random character, then same thing i wait very long and there's still nothing the game is stuck.

edit :
For testing, i decided to test Cataclysm.Zaimoni.0.2.1.unstable.20191107.zip , despite the unstable.
And unlike the not-unstable it actually worked, i could get ingame this time (without even waiting more than half a second after pressing Y, surprised me how fast it was) .

Looks like you're using a tileset by default instead of the original ascii , but how do you disable it as i would like to go to ascii , as i'm not liking this tileset personnally ? in the options.json from the data folder i find no reference to tileset on/off ?

Anyways, as it worked it lead me to a new question : how to resize the game window (i see no resolutions in the options.json) , as it looks like a pain to play like that as with the font size the stats in bottom are cut in half :
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:40:13 am by Robsoie »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 01:52:49 pm »

Ah...the screen size thing is reacting to the tileset, yes.  (DeonApocalypse is a 16x16 tileset so the font is being forced to 16x16; I haven't taken the time to work out how restrict the font-size effects to the 25x25 tile zone; what's really needed is 16x16 for the "tile zone" and 12x16 for the other 55 columns.  It is assumed to have the same copyright issues, or lack thereof, as the Rogue Survivor Alpha 9 DeonApocalypse mod.)  The missing DLL error was also reported on reddit.

1) You need the same correction to the window size, that I need for the MingWin64 build -- with the Visual Studio build.  That's definitely option material: will schedule.  This is independent of tiles (the MingW64 build has to be compensated for this problem in ASCII mode as well).

2) Option for disabling tiles: can schedule that.  Rename data/json/tilespec.json to disable tiles until that is built out.

3) Map generation hang: That hasn't been fully audited. I haven't had two hangs at game start in sequence, but I assumed that was just luck.  All historical versions are known-affected on my end (at least back to 0.1.0).  I'm nervous about trying to adjust map generation without being able to restore RNG state from the savefile and seed the RNG from the command line.

There has been one relevant commit since the 0.2.0 release: https://github.com/zaimoni/Cataclysm/commit/de42149b4926477066972f50c0c413e27959885e, a const correctness enforcement.  I would be pleasantly surprised if this fixed even one root cause.

If I've missed replying to any key points, please mention it.

EDIT Issue list mirrored to GitHub.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 02:04:17 pm by zaimoni »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2019, 04:36:09 pm »

For the map generation hanging from Cataclysm.Zaimoni.0.2.0-win-x64.20191101 , i tried it a few more time and it is always stuck.
I retried several time in Cataclysm.Zaimoni.0.2.1.unstable.20191107 and it always work.

So hopefully it seems fixed.

Renamed the tilespec.json worked as text fit now the window screen, there's just a need to be able to change the window size and it's perfect.

Thanks anyways for your work on reviving the original Cataclysm, it's great to have it along CDDA to fit everyone needs, good luck on further bug smashing :)

EDIT
I spotted a nasty bug , if i create a new game after having already one, in the next world when i try to discuss with the starting shelter npc, in the list of npc to talk to there are the previous worlds npc available , can lead to a crash when one of them is asked to join

here by example after creating a few new games, you can see there are several starting shelter npc that aren't there still available for discussion
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:44:36 pm by Robsoie »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 06:11:19 pm »

Ah...it's weirder than that.

The co-located starting shelter NPCs require an invasive data design change to fix properly: they really do have the same screen-relative location at turn 0.  I'd rather catch that as part of the "GPS locations" changes.

The dialog crash was replicable with a clean savegame (I just had dropped that particular code coverage test).  I went ahead and pushed today's unstable vsprintf_s-friendly release "early".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:18:27 pm by zaimoni »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 12:51:33 am »

..., there's just a need to be able to change the window size and it's perfect.
What kind of change of window size change?

Font size for ASCII: technically easy option.  (Tiles, have design issues; same option might work.)

Classic grab-handle resizing that adds columns/rows to the display: Heavy lift.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 12:59:14 pm »

When i mentionned a change to window size, i meant the ability to change the resolution of it, a bit like in CDDA in which you can input the terminal width and height :

(when playing in windowed mode of course)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 03:22:21 pm »

That is technically "hard" as I'm too close to the machine.  (The game estimates how many pixels it needs, and requests a window that has that many pixels).  The closest I can schedule within a few coding days, is the font-height option.

I'm pretty sure a build using a proper GUI framework would handle that cleanly.  [E.g., I could local-fork PDCurses and wire the tiles implementation into the local fork, conditional on using a GUI framework I can build and test against.]

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2019, 09:22:10 pm »

Two of the three options needed to eliminate data/FONTDATA are landed.  There's some design issues regarding the font selection itself.  (The option for font has to control three different values, two of which are C string/std::string in type.)

• In ASCII mode, you should be able to make the screen larger by requesting a larger font.  (The request will be less than useful in tiles mode, for now.)
  • If there is a clipping issue at the bottom, that can be fixed by requesting extra margin.  This should work in both modes.

Both of these currently require re-opening the game to take effect.  Eliminating this restriction is rated Vaporware on the issue tracker.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2019, 12:53:08 pm »

Very cool! Can't wait for the next release.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 02:23:29 pm »

Map Generation hangs
When I worked on the "Zombie Evolution" and a hacked implementation of the 3-D there are a few inefficiencies.  It's been a while, but I remember the loading a saving of zombies through "Monstergroups" didn't use pointers so it was manually loading and unloading the zombies every-time you moved-I noticed it when you scaled up the zombie spawns there was quite a bit of lag.
Once I fixed that(thanks to help from the community), the map loaded instantly.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2019, 02:39:38 pm »

Known formal issues with map generation (i.e., why this is a live issue on the tracker):
  • Lab generation appears capable of infinite looping.
  • It is decidedly unclear that a signal value in road generation actually is never used as real data.
I'm skeptical that the one map generation adjustment since the last stable, a const correctness fix, actually would stop infinite looping.

I expect to look at the monster groups situation as part of the GPS/absolute location buildout.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2019, 12:07:28 am »

Heads-up: the next objective will be banishing all those co-located NPCs from starting the game multiple times in the same world consecutively.  I'm not clear on how many commits it'll take, but this is an invasive restructuring.

The latest unstable is saving the information required for this to work.  (It also has options for: use tiles at all, font height, and that extra padding that is sometimes useful for not clipping the bottom-right screen.  Game restart recommended for these options, for now.)  I've held off on invasive NPC AI rewrites, but most of the restructuring to make the NPC AI maintainable has already landed in trunk.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2019, 08:00:02 pm »

Trunk is not quite ready to leave the potentially unplayable Przybylski's Star status, but the heavy lift is in: if you have two PCs in the same game world, NPCs should not co-locate just because they were in the reality bubble for the first PC.  (This is not actually supported, of course.  Significant issues w/game time here.)  New NPC spawns are also conveniently restrained to the edge of the reality bubble.  I just wouldn't trust them not to land on other NPCs, monsters, etc. just yet.  [They will miss other walls.]

Other known cross-overmap issues (like NPCs getting lost in the wrong overmap, mission targets teleporting when changing overmaps, etc.), while of interest to fix, are shared with C:Whales and thus not grounds for keeping trunk at Przybylski's Star status.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9