Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Judgment call...what should the 0.2.3 release trigger be?

Drop-dead July 14th.  We have properly addicting weeds, that's good enough.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should cross-link items within the documentation pages where reasonable.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should give us a withdrawal syndrome summary page.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should do both of the above.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 08:29:40 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Cataclysm:Z  (Read 31081 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm:Z
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 07:14:27 pm »

so it's a fork of a fork then? Cool, and fun to see someone finally took the cdda devs up on their challenge

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 07:48:43 pm »

Both forks of the original from what I gather.

Cataclysm by Whales was forked and the DDA modification was made by... I forget the team, one of them had a wolf avatar and name though, that I think was one of, if not the first on the team. I'm sure someone else can confirm or correct me there who recalls this better. It was made with the intent for it to be all the things that were over the top/absurd if I recall right that Whales felt didn't fit his vision, then swung from one extreme to another.

This is a fork of Cataclysm by Whales and not DDA, with the intent for it to be Zaimoni's vision and direction, by the look of it.

Given what Zaimoni's said about it so far, it has my interest and i'll be interested in seeing how it evolves.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 10:25:01 pm »

so it's a fork of a fork then? Cool, and fun to see someone finally took the cdda devs up on their challenge

Nah, it's a fork of the last Whales version, i.e. pre-DDA. Unlike things like BD which were forks of DDA.

Honestly I think this is better, since it doesn't have to deal with the years of code pileup from DDA and doesn't have to begin by changing a bunch of it. Part of why DDA is a bit incoherent is because of the design-by-committee nature that's inherent to any game developed in that manner. Cataclysm was a bit silly and unbalanced, but it managed to maintain a decent vision of what it was, and IMO a big part of that was because under Whales it was a one-man show.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 10:59:20 pm »

Also, why "no plan to catch up".  The conscious experience budget just isn't there; there is no way I could experience verifying-before-merge even a tenth of the commit volume C:DDA has.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 02:12:12 am »

Does the version being used as the base for this include cars, I know they were a mod at one point but I can't remember if they were ever included in the main game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 02:53:25 am »

Yes, this does have vehicles.  I've been hesitant to schedule high-risk bugfixes here before the savefile format is stable.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 04:33:04 am »

ptw

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 10:28:43 am »

Interested to see how this ends up developing!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

OrenAudeles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 11:10:11 am »

This looks like it'll be neat. Good luck zaimoni! :)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 06:23:42 pm »

As someone who really enjoyed the original sci-fi vision of the game, I'm really looking forward to this.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2019, 09:40:54 pm »

The last raw integer transcoding a C enumeration has been purged from the savefile format of the latest 0.2.0 unstable.  That is: everything through 0.3.0 will be able to read it no matter how game content is changed.  (The detailed map format has some archaisms, but nothing that would block adding or removing things.)

That said, the changesets today did include multiple fixes related to the savefile format. (i.e., I don't feel confident about pushing out a stable 0.2.0 and starting on 0.2.1 just yet.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 01:01:34 am »

zaimoni, you carry the hopes and dreams of the many players dissatisfied with the development of C:DDA. Onward, brave soul!

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 08:25:51 am »

So, I've been mulling over something i've felt was missing from Cataclysm lately due to this variant's announcement, but in doing so and roughing out the basic idea alone i've realised that it's well beyond my skill level and attention span.

Posting it as even if I doubt anything'll come of it, I can get it out there and get it off my mind.

Spoiler: Modular Gear Musings (click to show/hide)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 11:08:43 am »

More like an extension to the crafting system, technically.  (This sort of thing is why I wasn't technically able to cut the 0.2.0 release until two days ago -- the save file format would not have supported adding this kind of feature, while loading games that immediately predated the feature, before then.  That is: the one high-level point you mentioned that is of no concern at all is:

...., requires additional attributes and flags to be attached to a multitude of items to permit them to be implemented, ...

That's an attention to detail task.  That just requires being able to execute a change plan with verified 100% accuracy.)

From my point of view, the hard part about mainlining any new feature is the time-to-test.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 11:57:09 am »

About item creation it make me think of tinker construct in minecraft
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9