Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Judgment call...what should the 0.2.3 release trigger be?

Drop-dead July 14th.  We have properly addicting weeds, that's good enough.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should cross-link items within the documentation pages where reasonable.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should give us a withdrawal syndrome summary page.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should do both of the above.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 08:29:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Cataclysm:Z  (Read 31084 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm:Z
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 07:51:43 am »

In terms of stability and some logistic feature, wouldn't it be better to fork it from CDDA? Assuming there's no major backend issue involved here, it sounds easier to change what you want from the further developed CDDA than trying to many times "reinvent the wheel" addressing issues and bugs CDDA already did.

Still, either way, if it goes forward it will be very nice to have as a counterpart from the "hyper-realism all the time" direction CDDA has been going.

As zaimoni said, the workload in forking CDDA is entirely excessive for a single person or small team, and a lot of us want nothing to do with what CDDA was or became. I loved Cataclysm because of the crazy post-apoc cyberpunk kitchen sink setting and wide variety of build paths. CDDA did some to contribute to that, but a lot more to diminish it, even early on when the reasonable members of the team were still contributing.

A fresh start is for the best.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2020, 11:09:52 pm »

V0.2.1 release has been cut.  Cf. first post for revised links.

I ran out of safe micro-optimizations to profile-hot paths.  I'm seeing ~3% CPU burn on the onerous task of figuring out there are no vehicles at a given location, even after micro-optimization.  Time spent waiting for keystrokes profiled in the 89%-92% range, so I don't think we have an immediate problem.  This is just making sure the game has reserve capacity.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 05:47:49 am »

Is there a way to switch back to basic ASCII? The tileset is a little disorienting for me, and some of the monsters show up as black squares.

[EDIT] I dided a stoopid. You can delete the tiles file or just go ? > change options > -J
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:58:42 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2020, 06:01:17 am »

Tiles: yes, cf. options menu (key 2 under help).  It's one of the three options at the bottom, that require restarting the game for them to take effect.  The "extra margin" option seems to be graphics driver dependent (default is for the development system, of course....).  If you find the ASCII is being clipped at the bottom and/or right, that may ameliorate that.

I'm thinking the options menu is "hard to find" -- we have the screen space to put it on the opening screen.  Should I schedule that?

The fix for the display problem w/non-highlighted monsters made the first unstable checkpoint for 0.2.2.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2020, 07:18:35 am »

I just had a very, very strange glitch. I got bombarded with debug messages about a broken NPC, and then it crashed. Now the game won't read the keybindings file. I've uploaded my entire directory here, so you can check.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2020, 08:25:47 am »

Ahem...savegame loads on development machine, both with and without provided keymap.txt.  Profiler's CPU burn looks like it would be partially addressed by one of the changes I had deferred to the infinity file.

This feels like the map data is loading "too early" and getting in the way of other things (including reading the keybindings).  [This needs to be addressed anyway; multiple save directories is on my wishlist.]

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2020, 10:38:14 am »

As it turns out, there was a problem on my PC. Somehow the keybindings file could not be read, and replacing it solved the problem.

As a side note, using or examining the gyroscopic stabilizer while it's in my hand seems to crash the game without failure. I haven't done extensive testing, because the debug mode wish also crashes the game for me. Once the crashy gyroscopic stabilizer is on a gun, examining the gun will also crash the game.

I uploaded the save, if you need it. Is there a better way to report bugs? I feel like I'm disrupting the thread a little. Additionally, it seems as though multiple "downwards" rooms are broken in the save. Caves and bunkers always lead to a 'sheer drop' that takes you to a broken location, not the intended one, and mines are always closed off from rock separating the rooms.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:35:30 am by George_Chickens »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2020, 01:40:55 pm »

I should be responding to private messages on-forum about as well as I respond to this thread.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2020, 02:57:47 am »

The Jan 24th Przybylski's Star 0.2.2 build should have a kludge inventory examination fix (crash in debugger was yet another MSVC++ printf parsing being more fragile than the 2010 compilers were; trigger was the extended magazine).

Map generation, is harder to trace.  I think the new overmap cache is likely involved one way or another (I started getting a lot more overmap specials once it was installed...as many as the source code was requesting, rather than maybe 1/9th of the requested rate), but there's a validity check imposed by vertical movement that the map generator has no obvious way to verify it's conforming to.

Edit Worked out how to get the "grappling hooks" looking for where to land, to mostly behave.  (More positive about this for stairs, than elevators.)  I won't take trunk out of Przybylski's Star status just yet.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:52:47 am by zaimoni »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2020, 03:54:37 pm »

I remember you from the Rogue Survivor Revive releases. Are you still actively developing that? I know thats been a very quiet front for a while now.

Call me heavily intrigued about this, I miss Whales when he decided to drop the project and theres been so much drama around CDDA and their gameplay choices I can't actively support it. Let me know if you want some coffee.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2020, 06:34:30 pm »

Rogue Survivor Revived is still getting near-daily commits.  It does have a severe CPU/turn problem (i.e., huge reality bubble combined with purge of low-resolution simulation) that is blocking further feature build out.  I first got the AI "working as far as it can without radical changes", then did profile-guided optimization until that burned out several months ago.  If you can handle 45 seconds/turn during the police invasion of the CHAR headquarters, the latest unstable checkpoint may be worth looking at even though it's a year-ish old at this point.

I have considered providing unannounced updates (like I do for Cataclysm:Z; latest unstable and Przybylski's Star builds for the upcoming version should always be at the same place as the latest proper release).  They would be binary-only if that happened.

Download links will need updating (BitBucket is ditching Mercurial repositories, so I migrated all of my non-work repositories from BitBucket to GitHub back in December).

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2020, 03:50:18 am »

Since CDDA became hugely bloated and lost at least my intrest, mind someone telling is it safe to separately DL vcruntime140 to x64 system directory, as I cannot install new MS Visual packages (complains that I have them installed)? I have x86 version of vcruntime140.

Would be fun to wade into hordes of Zs again.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2020, 04:28:15 am »

When's the next release gonna be? I've had some trouble compiling the code.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:29 pm »

vcruntime140 : download direct from Microsoft is the only safe way ;)  I'm pretty sure copying the x86 version to x64 will fail catastrophically (ABI issues).  I've gone ahead and adjusted the initial post accordingly.

Next release: It's really "too close" to the last one for me to cut 0.2.2 just yet; I'd prefer something mid-April, but will start making judgment calls on when to release mid-March.  That is, "ideal" release cycle is quarterly.  (I prefer to cut releases right before doing something that triggers downgrading trunk to Przybylski's Star status, i.e. potentially as unstable as The Other Fork.)

I used NMake with the host_install target to build the Zaimoni.STL/OS and Zaimoni.STL/Pure.C directories outside of Microsoft Visual Studio.  Converting from a Visual Studio solution to CMake is definitely possible, but I'm very unclear on how to launch a CMake-built executable in the debugger.  [I migrated Iskandria from GNU Make to CMake last year, so I can read off of that project what's required to build the Zaimoni.STL/OS and Zaimoni.STL/Pure.C files with CMake.]

The language-standards control build (not uploaded to server; no tiles support) is with MingW64 8.1.0, and uses GNU make against Makefile.Windows.  The MIngW64 toolset is noticeably broken (there seems to be no way to automatically run ranlib against the GNU Make-built libraries and have the results "stick"; it also shipped with a Dead on Arrival strip utility).

Note that relatively recent unstable and Przybylski's Star Microsoft Visual C++ builds for the "next intended release" (currently 0.2.2) may be found at the same place as the "last release" (currently 0.2.1).  Procedure is to git push immediately after uploading a checkpoint ZIP (that is, if you are playing the latest ZIP it should exactly match trunk).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:10:58 pm by zaimoni »

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2020, 06:38:48 pm »

Got it up and running, had to scav a x64 .dll and pop it into game directory. No amount of trying helped to get VCdistr to work, install or repair. I did hold a thought about uninstalling all C++ stuff and reinstalling but ultimately chose against it.

Is there a way to increase window size, or did I miss something in options? Also, can I swap the tileset to curses somehow, not to dis Deon's work but most mobs are just black squares...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9