Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Judgment call...what should the 0.2.3 release trigger be?

Drop-dead July 14th.  We have properly addicting weeds, that's good enough.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should cross-link items within the documentation pages where reasonable.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should give us a withdrawal syndrome summary page.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should do both of the above.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 08:29:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Cataclysm:Z  (Read 31030 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm:Z
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2020, 07:00:36 pm »

The "most mobs are black squares" issue is fixed in all of the 0.2.2 preview ZIPs (both unstable and Przybylski's Star).

There is an option for using tiles (it defaults on).  Once tiles are disabled, the font height option will work.  Both of these require game restart currently (fix strategy known, it's just not high priority at this point).

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:31 pm »

Feb. 15 and onward ZIP archives have a prototype for the Socrates' Daimon command-line utility.  (Think of something that auto-generates web pages for the game, to hard drive.)

The current implementation is a vaporware no-op.  The "next target" there is the item type summary. (There are some automated reality checks I want Socrates' Daimon to handle.)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2020, 11:08:47 pm »

Had to make the next target for Socrates' Daimon include both item types and monster types (turns out item type loading won't build without monster types, and vice versa).  Still vaporware, but is actually configuring the item/monster data.

I'll evaluate whether cutting a release "is reasonable" after the corresponding HTML pages are being generated, and any problems exposed from those pages are fixed.  (In particular, I expect item material issues to be exposed.)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2020, 02:13:20 am »

Sorry for my ignorance, but is the difference between this Cataclysm vs the official Cataclysm DDA?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2020, 02:30:04 am »

This is built off of the last version of whale's cataclysm, so it has nothing to do with DDA.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2020, 02:39:47 am »

Basically, as it is, DDA has a lot more features and has had a much longer development time. This branch builds upon the same original version that DDA started out from too.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2020, 06:06:46 pm »

Also worth noting that DDA isn't any more "official" than this is, it was just the fork of the original game that got going back when Whales first abandoned the project.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2020, 08:22:47 pm »

Heads up: looks like the issue I had forwarded me re convenience stores is "non-local" (i.e., problem may not be fixable by end of April at current time allocation rate).  I will not be voting in the release condition poll that "just went up".
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:31:49 pm by zaimoni »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2020, 09:46:12 pm »

Just found this thread. Can't say more versions of cataclysm is a bad thing  :P

But I didn't see any long term goals. Are there any? Are we open to suggestions/requests here?

Also, on the topic of rouge survivor, I always wondered if it would be easier to just remake the game in cataclysm. They are both tile based. Cata seems to cover everything that rouge survivor does and more. Sounds possible with more potential for changes.

anothersimulacrum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2020, 10:18:55 pm »

Oh hey, me too - neat to see another Cataclysm fork! PTW.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2020, 01:58:27 am »

Just found this thread. Can't say more versions of cataclysm is a bad thing  :P

But I didn't see any long term goals. Are there any? Are we open to suggestions/requests here?
My approach is more homeopathic -- I'm still learning "what the game wants to be" (basically, if you can do it in a B movie you should be able to do it here), and part of that is making sure everything "works".  I don't particularly like the notion of "magazines of Top Gear of meat sandwich", but tracking down how I mistranslated the inherited code before 0.2.0 is not going to happen reasonably quick; the last few commits have built out test drivers for round-trip testing of the JSON for items.  I can't guarantee those test drivers will reach map chunks by the end of April at this time.

I will record all suggestions to GitHub, but they'd have to be very precise to actually land "quickly".  At this point I'm not going to do any high-risk restructurings until after the 0.2.2 release and start of the 0.2.3 unstable/Przybylski's Star series.

The Uncommon Cold of Wuhan is causing some radical increases in both paid and unpaid work hours.  The hiatus in commits for ~2 weeks on both RS Revived and Cataclysm:Z was from that.

Also, on the topic of rouge survivor, I always wondered if it would be easier to just remake the game in cataclysm. They are both tile based. Cata seems to cover everything that rouge survivor does and more. Sounds possible with more potential for changes.
Not really.  I'd have to restructure Cataclysm:Z's map data and AI to look moderately more like RS Revived's first.  (This needs doing to make events work properly.)  About a third of the required fundamental changes in that direction have landed in trunk so far.

I do expect to put usable vehicles into RS Revived using Cataclysm's design work; however, most new features for RS Revived are soft-blocked by CPU/turn at this time.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2020, 10:37:33 am »

Huh... for some reason the idea of using pages of Top Gear to wrap a sandwich seems oddly appealing. :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2020, 07:15:34 pm »

So, uh, I voted for the March 30th drop-dead date, because release now is better than release later, right?  But I honestly have no idea what any of those options mean and their significance to the project, so if it's going to be painful to put out a release now rather than wait for one of those other things, maybe you should do that other thing instead.  Count as a maybe vote I guess?  :-X

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2020, 09:48:56 pm »

I'm asking what kind of spoiler/documentation pages, and scope, should ship with the next release.  "Items" includes martial arts here.  Assuming no Act of God issues, the most complex option can be forced through by end of April.

Do you want to slog through a plain text file listing the descriptions of every single item in the game, or would you rather view a website hosted on the hard drive itself, for that?

And should I include monsters as well as items?

That's what the poll options represent.

EDIT: The medium term plan is to have all game mechanics (e.g., crafting recipes) have automatically generated web pages (that are "always current" because they can be regenerated at any time by running Socrates' Daimon).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:00:51 pm by zaimoni »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2020, 06:33:47 am »

A html file sounds nice for a visually less "wall of text" feel than a normal text file.

I tried Cataclysm.Zaimoni.0.2.2.unstable.win-x64.20200327  (using cataclysm.exe as i have no idea what that Socrates-Daimon.exe is about) with a random character without changing any default options.

Moved out of the shelter without talking to the npc there , and went north east finding very close to the shelter a bunch of corpses, military from the equipment i looted on them.
was wielding a m203 launcher but no ammo for it, then found a m4a1 that i decided to wield thinking one of the ammo stack i looted would fit.

Pressed r to reload, the message that i had no ammo for it appeared, maybe pressed r again a couple of time and the game crashed to desktop with no error message, and as it seems there's no log file generated i have no idea what exactly could have caused that crash unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9