Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Judgment call...what should the 0.2.3 release trigger be?

Drop-dead July 14th.  We have properly addicting weeds, that's good enough.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should cross-link items within the documentation pages where reasonable.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should give us a withdrawal syndrome summary page.
- 0 (0%)
Socrates' Daimon should do both of the above.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: March 29, 2020, 08:29:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Cataclysm:Z  (Read 30748 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm:Z
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2020, 09:35:23 pm »

0.2.3 release cut.  This release is deemed Unstable, due to a residual NPC ai no-op loop.
  • The Linux build has been revived, thanks to GitHub handle hirdrac.  A number of crash fixes have also gone in.
  • The HTML automatic documentation pages have been moved to the html subdirectory from the data subdirectory.
  • You will no longer be notified about disruptive centrifuge spins that do not actually happen.
  • Diseases work, again (presumably a regression induced during the pre-0.2.0 mass restructuring)
  • Several misalignments between description and game effects have been fixed.
  • Socrates' Daimon now maintains a page about addictions -- that names which items sate them.
Full user-visible changes at https://github.com/zaimoni/Cataclysm/projects/7 .

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2020, 06:43:25 am »

ai no-op loop.

Did you implement skateboarding? Wow!  ;D
Love, scriver~

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2020, 08:38:31 am »

The Linux build has been revived, thanks to GitHub handle hirdrac.  A number of crash fixes have also gone in.[/li][/list]

Woohoo!  Compiled fine for me on Archlinux.

Unlikely that I'll get around to properly playing for some time (if ever  :() but confirmed it works as far as creating a character, stepping on a bear trap, triggering a crossbow trap and finding a pile of stuff on the ground.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2020, 12:43:45 pm »

Making those piles of stuff appear in more logical locations is a noticeably heavy lift...too many pre-requisites to actually do anything about it quickly.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2020, 02:49:25 pm »

It looks like NPC errors automatically switch debug messages back on.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2020, 09:34:24 pm »

The whole notion of debug messages is up for a rethinking; the current implementation isn't "ideal" even for development on multiple grounds.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2020, 07:36:09 pm »

We're almost a month into the declared release window for 0.2.4 .  The main intended changes for this release are "invisible"; they were requested by the devteam.

• Error logfile, to make bug reports more informative.  This is technically landed; the remaining conversion targets require invasive rewrites to do properly.  Debug messages that do not have a UI role, are intended to just be logged.  The existence of the error log will be very obvious, but hopefully will not disrupt gameplay too much.
  • Resizable screen (minimum dimensions 80x25).  This is not landed in trunk yet.  The systems analysis for this feature is landed, and about eight-ninths of the change targets that would break on introducing this have been fixed.

A couple of bugfixes in trunk, were radical.  I had to reclassify 0.2.3 as Przybylski's Star (i.e., reasonably expected to be unplayable).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2020, 08:02:17 pm »

Yay to Resizable screens!

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2020, 03:29:09 pm »

It is two weeks to end of declared release window.  Pareto's Law (80% of the effort is 20% of the work) has become very evident; it's currently possible I will have to choose between a schedule miss, and the resizable screen feature.  The three remaining screens that would break on introducing resizable screens are:

• player info (accessed by @ key): width of subpanels, and height of lower row of subpanels, are not fully responsive.  Have way forward, it's just very time (conscious experience) expensive.
  • Vehicle interaction screen: some judgment calls needed (tradeoffs between inline display scope and info subpanel to its right)
  • Defense subgame: predicted to be formal transform to fix.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2020, 10:55:37 am »

Sounds like a decision for next week.  :P

Good luck, whatever direction you take is great, just glad to see that development is continuing.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2020, 05:01:44 pm »

0.2.4 release cut.  This release is deemed Unstable for the same rationale as 0.2.3; no relevant commits for that ai no-op loop landed.

The two major changes are an (incomplete) error logfile, and larger usable screen size.

Other user-visible changes
  • Exploder turrets had not been dropping robotic items on demise.
  • Missed shots had not been going away from the shooter.  This is likely something I had introduced.
  • NPCs had not been triggering Toad style benefits on pause.
  • Dimensional fatigue, and technological teleporter pads, did not treat monsters the same.

Full user-visible changes at https://github.com/zaimoni/Cataclysm/projects/8 .

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2020, 02:06:52 pm »

Congrats on the release!

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2020, 03:59:55 pm »

Infrastructure checkpoint: vehicle internal reference coordinates have been entirely shifted over to global positioning coordinates.  (This is part of a medium-range plan to unblock long-range A* pathfinding, lunar eclipses, etc.  I do not expect to have the CPU/RAM for long-range A* pathfinding, but I want it to be a resource failure rather than a data design failure.)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2020, 04:49:33 pm »

One solution that the Factorio devs used was chunking the world and A* those to find what chunks should be examined, then A* limited to those chunks.
Here's the relevant blog where they go into pretty good detail about it.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2020, 02:25:53 am »

Factorio devlog: thanks.  I'll have to re-review this more carefully once the submap vs. reality bubble issues are ironed out (pretty sure submaps are not the largest chunking unit of interest here).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9