Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to resize claws? (SOLVED)  (Read 1140 times)

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to resize claws? (SOLVED)
« on: October 28, 2019, 01:59:09 pm »

So I have two probably very stupid questions. The first is simply, how do I resize the claws on a creature? I've been using [RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:CLAW:(insert number here)], but I don't know if it's actually doing anything. It seems to work for some creatures, but not others, so I just need to know what the proper procedure to resize claws would be.

The second question is more complicated, and directly related to the first. I made a creature whose defining feature is it's ridiculously huge claws. I gave it a scratch attack that's worked for other claw-using critters, but it never seems to use it. It will grab things, and it uses it's other attacks just fine, but it never actually scratches things. I think it might be because the claws aren't put together right, but I don't know.

This is the creature in question:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For reference, this is what I'm trying to make: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therizinosaurus

This is my first post here, so I apologize if this question has already been answered. I just need to know what I'm doing wrong lol.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:50:23 pm by Lurksquatch »

Jack_Caboose

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: How to resize claws?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 02:28:04 pm »

In future, look at the errorlog.txt file that's put in your base DF folder (with the executable). If it doesn't help you fix stuff, including it should help other people fix stuff.

For the sizes, I think the reason the RELSIZE isn't working is because you've added the claws by layering the claw tissue ontop of the hands, rather than adding the claws as a separate body part (and I believe RELSIZE only works on body parts).

To fix this, you could add a custom body part definition - make a file called body_custom.txt in your objects folder and put this inside it:

(or whatever RELSIZE size you want it to be)

Then, remove this from your creature file:
Code: [Select]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HAND:CLAW:FRONT]
And then add :3HAND_CLAW to the end of the body definition.

Then, get rid of the old claw attack and replace it with this:

Theoretically this should work but I'm basically as new as you so don't put too much credence to what I say :P

Lurksquatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to resize claws?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 02:50:05 pm »

That did it! Thanks. I never knew about the errorlog, but like I said, stupid question lol.

Jack_Caboose

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: How to resize claws? (SOLVED)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:56:00 pm »

Glad to see it worked! And yeah, it's a good idea to check the errorlog for anything new after every major change just to check.