Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF on Debian, C++ issue?  (Read 1662 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
DF on Debian, C++ issue?
« on: February 01, 2021, 05:19:51 pm »

Hey friends, switched operating systems recently and I went to run df and ran into a handful of missing dependencies which I went and got, but now I'm having an issue where something to do with C++ isn't found. The console says:
Code: [Select]
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /home/melody/df4705/libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1)
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /home/melody/df4705/libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1)

I'm fairly certain I already downloaded GLU.
libglu1-mesa is already the newest version (9.0.0-2.1+b3).

I certainly have libstdc++6
libstdc++6 is already the newest version (8.3.0-6).

And I've already ran the dependency install commands on the wiki. At this point I'm not really sure how to get it running. Any input?

I swear to god I searched and searched for what my problem could've been and ONLY AFTER making this thread do I stumble upon http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169148.msg7668072#msg7668072
I guess that answers the question. actually it doesn't? I'm confused.

found the answer. I'm an idiot, wish I would've just checked here instead of assuming a search engine would find it.
df_linux/libs/Dwarf_Fortress: /home/charlie/df_linux/libs/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by /lib64/libGLU.so.1) 
Anyone know how I fix this? The file's there in the correct folder.

It's kinda funny to see this problem come up right after the previous couple of posts. Anyway, try deleting the libstdc++.so.6 library from df_linux/libs. The fact that it comes with DF is honestly a mistake, and it should never be there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:31:49 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Debian, C++ issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 05:37:23 pm »

You need to remove remove lobster++.so.6 from /path/df_linux/libs so that it uses the version of the C++ standard library that is already installed on your system.  It’s a common installation issue.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Debian, C++ issue?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 06:44:25 pm »

If you see any errors related to libstdc++ when starting DF (for example, "version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found"), try removing libstdc++.so.6 and libgcc_s.so.1 from the "libs" folder. This will cause DF to fall back to your system versions of these libraries, which are more up-to-date on many modern systems than the libraries that DF distributes.

Note that the wiki also Debian installation instructions. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation#Debian-based
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.