Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]

Author Topic: *We need your help with game ending stress*  (Read 102760 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: *We need your help with game ending stress*
« Reply #495 on: December 29, 2020, 05:05:26 pm »

Can't the stress vulnerability of your dwarves still end up increased due to personality shifts? It's a significant part of the problem.

I'm not making any claims and have no ties to the method described... just thought if there's something to bring back some of the fun for a fellow player who seems discouraged by the stress system, I might share it.  But I'm hoping this doesn't morph into a discussion that would be better done in a different thread. My apology if it does.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 29, 2020, 05:53:22 pm »

I might give that a try.  Someone earlier in the thread posted something that prevents/fixes personality changes too, but that's a bit too complex for me to install.  This game can be very discouraging in its current release, Fortress Mode at least less so than Adventurer Mode, but oof.  I often hear that the UI is the biggest hurdle for new players, but to me it's the feeling that anything but playing a safely as possible (which isn't always easy anyways) will have longterm consequences for my fort and dwarves that I can barely catch as it's approaching, let alone address once it's arrived.  Exiling dwarves is about it.  The other things I've read people doing in their forts is beyond my skill level; I'm still at "farming is an arcane art" and "why won't my dwarves put anything the merchants dropped in stockpiles?" level.   Trying to manage every in-game month to make sure idiots actually pray instead of spending a season idle and sad about it, providing favorite meals, even something like building a mist-generator is just above me and honestly I'd like to get to do some fun or cool stuff before deep-diving into learning every method for coddling my dwarves known to man.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:56:56 pm by madpathmoth »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2020, 05:59:23 pm »

Well, it's hard to disagree with most of what you say, for sure!  The good news is that the devs started this thread for your input and are planning to fix things!!!  I'm looking forward to that very much  :)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #498 on: January 29, 2021, 03:02:55 pm »

Okay, the first pass on stress is released!  I'm going to lock this one, since a lot has (hopefully) changed.  But Immortal-D has made a stress/psyche testing thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177991.0 .  If you have new observations for 0.47.05+, don't hesitate to post!  We're still monitoring this, and there are some other fixes left to do.

Thanks to everybody that helped out in here!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]