Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34

Author Topic: *We need your help with game ending stress*  (Read 102981 times)

Cross216

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: *We need your help with game ending stress*
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2019, 09:29:13 am »

I saw someone describe the current version as dwarf psychologist simulator, and I think that's apt. I thought people were overblowing stress so I did an experiment using cheats. Nearly all the furniture was masterwork quality, made of platinum and other fine materials. Varieties of masterwork meals, varieties of booze. High quality instruments at the tavern, statues everywhere. I used cheats to kill enemies so my dwarves didn't die in combat. The first five years went smooth. I continued improving things making engravings, masterwork clothing etc. But eventually I still had serious stress problems. Literally everything is masterwork, the dwarves have tons of varieties and positive euphoric and blissful thoughts. I went through and used a cheat that made all of their personalities more resilient. The fortress STILL ended in a tantrum spiral. In the current version if you are not constantly attending to every whim of every dwarf they will tantrum and destroy everything. It's not fun. I enjoy the challenge of dwarf fortress, the constant invasions and beasts, but the current version makes it impossible to maintain an actual fortress without spending countless hours attending to every single preference and desire every one of 150+ dwarves have. It's miserable. I cannot imagine being a new player trying the game right now, had it been like this when I started, I wouldn't still be playing. When I started I lost my fortresses to invasions, megabeasts, underestimating food needs, losing dwarves, ghosts, and tantrums spirals caused by a myriad of factors. It was nice being able to get better and eventually create a stable fortress, then being able to say oh it eventually died cuz I forgot to lock the cavern and a beast got in, or it died because of a flood or something. Now it's failing cuz dwarves got caught in the rain, or had to haul an enemies dead body.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2019, 01:11:46 pm »

This came to from someone who is having issues posting on this forum but asked for help getting her reply here:

Listen dude, I don't care if you want to be all "Oh I don't have problems with stress, git gud", but if >95% of the playerbase outside of this forum has significant problems with stress - to the point veterans are complaining and the developers ask for help diagnosing(!) - then there has to be SOME fix.  If you've been around so long, you'd know the aim isn't to be a very hard game that gatekeeps newcomers - hell, the whole point of the Steam release IS to be welcoming to newcomers.  The point of the game is the simulation mechanics - which, as of right now, are broken.  Even with a perfect crop rotation, clothing industry, and Legendary dining halls with perfect Royal bedrooms for every dwarf, you're still going to have forts fall because it rained outside.  Regardless of how "hard" you want the game, the developers don't want stress to be the endemic problem it is right now.  Regardless of that difficulty preference, having One Right Solution (small 2x3 taverns, microing labours, wagon-dumping to avoid rain) is not how a simulation is meant to be played.

I would like to embolden her words by noting that the vast majority of people who have posted in the thread ARE long time DF players, and they also have trouble with the current state of stress. So it's not even a 'bay12 vs not-bay12' thing.

Like, changes to the combat system, vampires, goblins climbing on walls all are added difficulty, and these are FUN. I remember sitting a few invasions anxiously looking at the little 'g's going up z-levels and wondering if I build my walls right, or staring at my single dwarf who is tasked to wall in a forgotten beast that killed 80% of the fort. And at those points DF is exciting an fun. Even when the dwarf fails, and instead the FB kills the rest of the fort, the sheer ascii spectacle is worth it. But the game ending stress... it's worse than FPS death because that just has to do with the limitations of technology.

Someone somewhere called it a 'Call of Cthulu simulator', and I think that's the most apt description(more than dwarf psychologist simulator, because that sounds way more fun), because once stress sets in, there's no good ways to get out of it. Hell, there is no way to get out of it naturally, you need to do micromanagement, and even that may fail. So eventually everyone just goes insane.

Like, for me, 3 out of 100 dwarves isn't an issue either, but due the way tantrum spirals work, and the fact that it is so hard to come back from the brink of insanity, this number goes up exponentially. So it may be 3 out of 100 dwarves in year 5, but year 6 will have 9, year 7 will have 81, and in year 8 your fort is dead. So whenever I see a single insane dwarf, I know my fort is about to end no matter what I do.

But yeah, I mostly wanted to point out this isn't a bay12-vs-not-bay12 thing at all, the people who are going 'git-gud', I suspect, haven't been playing DF for very long, because this is not DF at it's most sublime.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2019, 02:11:28 pm »

I have a fort that is 3 years old and has every possible stress reliever.  Plenty of taverns with every type of alcohol.  Three different taverns and temples.  New clothes.  All sorts of trinkets and trash for them to acquire.  Lavish meals.  You get the picture.

Now the negative side:  I attacked the goblins and in return weathered three sieges of over 100 goblins total.  I killed them all with trained and iron armored dwarves with only a few injuries.  Then I had my entire fortress run out and pick up the bodies.

The results were as follows:  Three dwarves went into a depression.  Some soldiers suffered post traumatic stress.  And one dwarf threw a fit and went to jail.

This kind of result isn't bad.  We want this.

You said here under ideal conditions after a mere 3 years of play that a strenuous amount of destressing was needed for just cleaning up a battlefield.

Players don't necessarily play in ideal conditions. Especially new players.

Experienced players who are playing in THE most ideal conditions would like to mitigate some of this.

Don't get me wrong. We want stress to matter and play a factor, but the game always feels like perfect happiness all the time or intense stress all the time. Despite people who want to parrot "losing is fun" at every inconvenience, this actually isn't fun.

Now imagine a fort someone has been playing for decades.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2019, 02:18:22 pm »

*by significant stress problems I mean 3 or more (out of 100) dorfs I expect to lose to insanity; obviously higher in evil biomes buuut that would be expected no? I also always have one level of discipline on all 7 dorfs- I continue to maintain that if you think stress is broken in 44.12 you need to "git gud"

Um, no.

3 dwarfs out of 100 is not an acceptable number of losses when the fortress is otherwise running well.

The first insane dwarf should be a sign that your fort has started to fail.
No, I disagree with this. Problem dwarves should always be part of the game so long as there are ways of dealing with them. We had the "no Dwarf ever feels stress because his dining room is nice" version of the game. It was boring.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2019, 02:43:04 pm »

I'll throw my thoughts out here for what it's worth. I guess this could be summed up as thoughts from a casual player.

Dwarf Fortress is largely a study in the applied mathematics of catastrophe theory.

You are building a system with certain expected behaviors. Part of the fun is trying understand why your planned behavior does not match reality, and making adjustments to compensate. That's if you are agile enough to find meaningful changes to make before the system passes a point of no return.

Sometimes, the best solution from a player's perspective is the classic "just good enough" plan so you can move on to better things.

I remember my first 31.25 fortress fondly. I was so proud of my boxed in wooden palisade uber defenses. I was just beginning to plumb the depths of the military system when a flying invader smashed in the front doors, followed up by a goblin invasion. The end? Next up, learn how to reclaim a site. OK, all the supplies I need are still in the fort so let's make a fully armed military reclaim force, right? Ready? GO! OK, a few goblins are still there, but they are ignoring me. Wow. OK, you guys need to reconfigure the entrance into an airlock immediately! OK, all the shit I need is scattered all over the map ... why? Damn. What a mess and ... why are my dwarfs dying? They should be able to handle the residual goblins ... WHAT THE HELL ARE ALL THESE TILDE TOPPED ICONS DOING TO MY DWARFS? The end?

I wasn't up to learning more bullshit about how to handle a single ghost, much less dozens of them with replacements queued up for their turn to rise. So, I founded a new fortress to apply what I learned from the start and move on. A month of real time passes. Having reached the point of rebuilding the new fortress entirely out of out of ice, because why not, and while in process of constructing an above ground semi-automatic magma based invasion disposal system, I ... remembered that old fort. I still had the folder saved. Gritting my teeth, I attempted one more reclaim. The short of it is in three seasons I barely skated by with one remaining severely injured dwarf. The ghost horde was sufficiently contained, migrants came, the fortress would now thrive. Unfortunately, both fortresses faced another insurmountable problem in the form of a new update being released. The end(s).

The point my story is trying to illustrate is the need to be learning by doing. The problem too many people seem to be running into is they want to play a game of Dwarf Fortress. Playing means running and interacting with the game, not spending time studying a topic on the wiki/forums/youtube to gain a PhD in the perfectification of tedium.

In the current version, I've set up a basic fortress for survival, and then moved into the new features. I've enjoyed playing with temples, taverns, libraries, etc. Even more enjoyable is integrating the new features with the old. My siege engineer training ground firing range was built atop a tavern, naturally. What I am presently having difficulty with is setting up a blank scroll production line to keep up with scholarly demand. The problem is so far resisting my efforts, but I'll keep plugging away. It's an amusing issue.

For stress, I have all the basics in place. Baths, tavern, libraries, a club fed prison palace, masterworks stuff to admire in luxury bedrooms, a legendary dining hall made of heaven. Luxurious food. Luxurious booze. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I still have dwarfs going insane from stress. Guys, I'm kinda busy with scroll production issues right now. Stopping game play to study the topic of stress to death that I might discover why my armamentarium of anti-stress systems is failing? Pure tedium.

At this stage of my game play the required solution is obvious. The periodic ruthless application of DFHack. Note that DFHack takes a considerable investment in time to learn how to use, depending on which features you want to twiddle with.

Perhaps what is needed is a pre-game checklist screen to enable/disable certain features so players may concentrate on what they want to and temporarily ignore the rest. Perhaps only the stress system needs to be overhauled. DFHack is more than sufficient for my needs, although I understand the very idea of DFHack drives some people berserk for some reason. Maybe they're too stressed?
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2019, 03:17:40 pm »

*by significant stress problems I mean 3 or more (out of 100) dorfs I expect to lose to insanity; obviously higher in evil biomes buuut that would be expected no? I also always have one level of discipline on all 7 dorfs- I continue to maintain that if you think stress is broken in 44.12 you need to "git gud"

Um, no.

3 dwarfs out of 100 is not an acceptable number of losses when the fortress is otherwise running well.

The first insane dwarf should be a sign that your fort has started to fail.
No, I disagree with this. Problem dwarves should always be part of the game so long as there are ways of dealing with them. We had the "no Dwarf ever feels stress because his dining room is nice" version of the game. It was boring.
I generally agree with Shonai_Dweller.

A dorf lost to insanity in a full size fortress is not a big issue, assuming you're willing to accept a shift from the "every lost dorf is a failure" of 0.40.X+ to the current (0.44.10+)  "you'll lose some along the way". What is not acceptable is if that lost dorfs grabs hold of the whole tapestry and pulls it down with him, or if that lost dorf is just a portent of where the rest of the fortress is heading if just given a bit more time.

If the balance is somewhat correct (assuming you accept the balance goal), the next siege should see fewer losses among those who were present during the first one, rather than each siege adding another stone to the burden (which seems to be a big issue currently). Again, some may snap under the stress of repeated sieges, but most should endure, carry on, and gradually return to some base stress level once the siege has been taken care of unless something special happens on the individual level.

The issue isn't the occasional problem dwarves, but the current inability to prevent those that should be preventable from getting there and overseer means of detecting that problems are brewing (at least without checking up on each and every dorf once per mongh or so), as well as the lack of means to rescue those that ought to be possible to rescue (and it ought to be a viable playing strategy to just take the losses without going out of the way to save individual cases, just replacing them with migrants [that might dry up, if the losses on the battlefield are too great, of course], as long as the general conditions are kept at a reasonably good level with most of the basics taken care of (food, booze, bed, socializing, praying, reading, and reasonable free time to handle needs, and the avoidable stressors dealt with [handle dead citizens with burial or slabbing, do away with corpses of sapients from the day-to-day view of citizens, etc.]).

There are two important parameters ThreeToe and ToadyOne ought to test: Long term (at least one generation born and matured), and somewhat poor playing, such as "forgetting" to set up e.g. temples for the first 5 years, occasionally "forget/fail" to produce enough clothing (e.g. through too small farm plots, or all thread producing plants "accidentally" used for booze production, which is very easy to do, especially for a newbie), and "detect" the mistake later when symptoms appear.
One restriction might be to just do underground farming (that's what dorfs do, isn't it: the surface is horrible!), while still logging (and thus hauling logs through the rain) and have an above ground pasture (how many newbies will realize without prompting that cave moss is useful for grazing except possibly for reindeer, and how many will rush for the dangerous caverns to release spores anyway?).

Another, preferably parallel, alternative is to recruit newbies and watch which mistakes they make (or have Kitfox do that and report the results, which is probably way more efficient).

MarcusCarab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2019, 03:41:07 pm »

It occurred to me last night - I don't know how possible this is, but maybe the devs have tools - that it would be extremely helpful to collect some data on dwarf stress over time in a few long-term fortresses. Get a bit more info on what's really happening with the numbers. Maybe some of us could build a DFHack tool to do this while we play?

Because of course precise results and timelines will vary depending on playstyle, but the issue is it currently feels like no matter what stress continues to mount up over time and inevitably overwhelms the population. If you play very well, you can reduce it to a slow burn - but it seems impossible to achieve any kind of equilibrium.

Like I would be very interested to see a graph of dwarf stress levels in Threetoe's fort from, say, Year 3 through Year 10. Even if you successfully staved off any tantrum spirals during that time, I suspect the numbers would show that stress overall was on a slow but very steady rise the entire time and eventual breakdown was inevitable.

An exciting, balanced stress system should show lots of peaks and troughs and fluctuations in stress, but with a trendline that is pretty flat over the long term (assuming reasonably good play) or indeed slowly falling to represent an ever-improving fortress. But if the trendline on every fortress is reliably always going up at some pace or another, it would seem there is a real problem.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:05:21 pm by MarcusCarab »

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2019, 06:43:28 pm »

The most annoying single stress problem I've seen is vengeful thoughts. If your dwarves see a bunch of giant keas or something vengeful thoughts will start stacking HARD. I once had a big open pit of troglodytes that I wanted my marksdwarves to start pincusioning, but the presence of these things just flipped a switch in these dwarves' brains, they started getting dozens, hundreds of vengeful thoughts EACH. I saw one dwarf go from totally fine to completely insane in like 3 ingame days.

Long-term, there's obviously rain being far more impactful than it should be for changing personalities. All it takes is one swap to "in a constant state of internal rage after being rained on" to make a dwarf very hard to destress. We also need to fix all the unfulfillable needs. If a dwarf can't make friends (looking in my fort only the starting 7 have any friends at all despite being here for years), can't get married (I have never seen a marriage in a fort), and needs food and drink that's impossible to get, you're getting a bunch of negative thoughts that have no counter from the player.

Dwarves should make friends faster, or actively seek out acquaintances to chat it up with from time to time to reach friendship faster, and once they're proper friends they should hang out whenever the need arises (with their rate of interaction based on personal friendship propensity or whatever stat applies). Same basic principle applies to romance. It seems like right now dwarves only become more friendly if they just happen to be standing next to each other when socializing, and the same two dwarves have to interact multiple times before friendship is possible. There's no guarantee that they even have time off at the same time, much less that they happen to socialize with each other. It's not really feasible to get friends in the current version because dwarves socialize essentially at random, and socialization needs to happen with the same people for them to become friendly. The dwarves need to take the initiative to socialize with specific people they've decided to get closer to, because I can't keep track of every dwarf in the fort to make sure they're only allowed to socialize in the designated "Tulon and Datan's Friendship Corner" to make sure specific friendships are fostered.

Food and drink is simpler, just make happiness based on item quality with specific ingredients giving an extra happy thought buff, along with "same old food" "same old drink" thoughts to make sure the player has some variety. At the moment most of your dwarves want food that's literally impossible for your particular fort to get ahold of, and they will never be sated until the picky-eater bastards get their giant brown recluse spider lung.

3 years is also an absurdly short time for testing, 3 years will show you the very very early beginnings of stress in a fort, take a look at how things are ticking along after 10, 15 years. You can have a long term fort with the current stress system, but only if you hole up and use more creative means to fight sieges than direct combat, and really know what you're doing when it comes to managing all the other parts of dwarf stress. In its current state the game is more impenetrable than its ever been to new players, they would need to really understand all the systems just to keep a fort ticking along without devolving into stress lategame.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2019, 07:47:25 pm »

Hi Dorfs,

We have been going through some extensive testing to find the biggest problems for new (and old!) players that make them give up in frustration.  Most of these people don't bother giving us any feedback, which is understandable.  The game just sucks and why play?  We need your help to nail down what exactly is going on. 

While we are working on every problem we can find, this thread is specifically for problems with the stress system.  There are a spattering of reports that come up on Reddit and other forums from people talking about how the stress system is so screwed up the game is unplayable.  I haven't found this to be the case so I need your help!

I have a fort that is 3 years old and has every possible stress reliever.  Plenty of taverns with every type of alcohol.  Three different taverns and temples.  New clothes.  All sorts of trinkets and trash for them to acquire.  Lavish meals.  You get the picture.

Now the negative side:  I attacked the goblins and in return weathered three sieges of over 100 goblins total.  I killed them all with trained and iron armored dwarves with only a few injuries.  Then I had my entire fortress run out and pick up the bodies.

The results were as follows:  Three dwarves went into a depression.  Some soldiers suffered post traumatic stress.  And one dwarf threw a fit and went to jail.

This kind of result isn't bad.  We want this.

I want to know what kind of play style is causing people to quit in frustration.

We are aware of socialization problems.  I haven't seen a game ending problem here, but these will definitely be addressed at some point.

This is the kind of problem we want solved: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171185.msg7839740#msg7839740

We really don't want “a cancer of red arrows”

Help us find out what's going on and we will attempt to fix it!

To be quite honest, and outside of Claspedbowels I have had trouble getting adequate time to play a fort so I'm taking this from Lets Plays as well:
1) Dwarves need to have a better recovery time from stress and while the "memory" of it is fine, we need them to be able to get over it. Maybe if the melancholy or rage lasted for a few weeks or months and then more often cleaned up (like under the old version) that would be better. Remembering and getting angry is fine, but I think there needs to be a better way to de-stress long term.

2) Some people report that 3 years is an absurdly short time to do testing, and getting to three years is kind of an issue with playing if you do it verbose style. That said, stress can kick in before then if you have a rough play style and some do.

3) Marriage and relationships provide positive ways out. Marriage (Mort Stroodle commented on this above) has this silly age gap thing and is very uncommon. Since you're doing a rewrite of some of this stuff, maybe cut out the age gap. Some dwarves will like dwarves older than they are, other dwarves will like dwarves younger than they are, and some will just have a preference towards... polar bear people. Quite frankly, it should be possible for romances to develop quickly (and for adventurers too), and dissipate quickly perhaps leaving children in their wake and this should keep dwarf minds off crap going on.

4) Realism perspective: IRL violent situations f**k people up, and the PTSD is long term / permanent. In my view this should be worse when the opponent is a sapient being than, say, when Urist McDumbass gets chased across the field by a stray badger (and that's reasonable to be lifelong so, it helps to have some hardened veterans in the militia).
-> However, longer lived or immortal beings should have a coping mechanism that develops. Dwarves live twice as long as the average human today so I guess that should have developed.

5) The Kruggsmash "coping mechanism" for these dwarves, and note Krugg's forts are quite long (and on youtube) is literally... "exile the MF already".
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2019, 08:03:55 pm »

3) As also mentioned above, marriage age gap was fixed (improved anyway). Check out the devblog for news on developments in marriage, divorce, adultry and kids.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2019, 09:13:05 pm »

3) As also mentioned above, marriage age gap was fixed (improved anyway). Check out the devblog for news on developments in marriage, divorce, adultry and kids.

Was any of that in fort mode or was all of that worldgen?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2019, 09:26:50 pm »

Far too many people are conflating needs with stress. Needs are a separate system, primarily resulting in distraction, not stress. Yes, difficult and impossible needs are annoying; yes, unmet needs add a handful of minor bad thoughts; but needs are quite unlikely to be a source of "game ending stress".

To illustrate that point, I modded dwarves with [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP], disabled weather, invaders, and immigration, and removed the active season (and clothing) tokens from the mountain entity. I then embarked with sets of leather armor, assigned uniforms, isolated each dwarf in a one tile area, and let the game run for 10 years. Despite *actively not meeting* all of their needs, not a single dwarf complained about stress, threw a tantrum, or went insane. This is a worst case scenario; even a dabbling overseer can be expected to satisfy some of their dwarves' needs by, say, brewing alcohol and assigning work, so "real game" stress from neglected needs would accumulate even slower than in this test. Additionally, the moderate stress from unmet needs could presumably be offset by positive thoughts the dwarves experienced. If you want to see some heavily-distracted-but-sane dwarves, you can download my test embark or recreate the setup from the description above.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2019, 09:35:42 pm »

Was any of that in fort mode or was all of that worldgen?
Fort mode work has only just started. But yes, devblog says it's planned to be part of fort mode too.
Pointless for it not to be. What would all the divorcees, lovers and illegitimate children do when they turned up at your fortress? Just die?
At some point early on, perhaps before traitors, we'll also have to bring the fort in line with the new relationship model. This will expand what grudges and friendships mean, and it will also allow the new w.g. features like divorce and multiple lovers to happen in fort mode.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:39:02 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

ozyma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2019, 10:11:50 pm »

Just as a side note can I ask why on earth do dorfs get a negative emotion from feeling vengeance? In most fantasy Dorfs are just kind of a vengeful race and feel compelled to right the wrongs against themselves and kin. If anything vengeance should be a positive emotion since you got to get in on the action and save your fellow dorfs. I can't possibly understand why you would feel angry about joining a fight unless you're just so militaristic that you wished you had gotten the full fight by yourself. It honestly makes no sense and there's already negative thoughts from getting put into combat.

regardless I think stress is a necessary system that needs to be in the game but it needs to really be fined tuned until we start seeing something close to what we were intending. I really doubt that one patch in the next update is going totally fix the issue. What I'm really hoping for is to let us test the new villains patch and every now and again have them throw us out a new patch during the big wait depending on player feedback and suggestions. At the very least some small tweak patches would keep interest and look good to the new steam users so it doesn't feel like the game is just stuck in development hell.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2019, 12:30:14 am »

Multiple lovers fundamentally mean nothing whilst the ability of dwarfs to even make friends is basically broken.  (Maybe a curiosity or two from arriving immigrants.)  Sorry but new features are pointless when the base that they need to work is itself pragmatically non-functional (barring exploits).  To me it just shows a lack of awareness regarding the state of the game on Toady's part.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34