Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.  (Read 25757 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2019, 11:01:56 am »

/ooc
The save is set back to ASCII. 

I made 9 iron minecarts. 1 for the portable magma drain.  The other 8 for filling.
I setup 1 magma kiln, 1 magma glassmaker, 1 magma smelter, and 1 magma forge near the surface. 

The next overseer may want to revamp the military. 
Squad 1 has no uniform, and consisted of miners and wood cutters. 
Squad 2 is set to metal uniform, and all 5 picked up steel battle axe, but each had skills other than axe when they were recruited in.

I ordered some thread, cloth from plants, slurry and paper sheets, and some cloth bags.  I did not do much work orders for a proper paper and clothing industry.  We are growing hemp on 2 1x7 farm, and strawberries on a 1x7 farm. 
The rest of the larger farms are underground and were there already. 

I was not able to finish assigning the honeymoon suites but they are furnished, just need food and drink stockpile, and add tavern zone for when you lock the couple. 

Cheers!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2019, 09:45:25 pm »

Woohoo! Nice job Sanctume!

A couple questions:
- Was this a case of an invader group partially leaving, then one sneaking back to steal an artifact? If so, very cool.
- Did you see any injuries from hauling the magma-filled minecarts? I've always had to carry the hot ones inside another minecart for safety.

Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2019, 11:04:55 pm »

My guess is the sword dwarf came with the merchants.  He was not in the unit page as Guest.  But as soon as I ordered to attack, a bunch of fights broke out in the public tavern and museum. 

Curiously, I had a couple of crashes later on, as the 3 guest were inquiring about an artifact earring.

It seems like when a citizen reveals the presence of the artifact in question, the game crash to desktop.

p.s. I did not see any injuries on minecart handling. 
I did have iron wheelbarrows assigned when I create iron minecart stockpile.  So I think the wheelbarrows are used when hauling.

I've had bleeding happen in the past (other forts).  If wood wheelbarrows are used, they become xwheelbarrowx
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:09:18 pm by Sanctume »

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2019, 05:47:03 am »

Great work Sanctume!

Is it my turn then? I'm going to pick up the save later today and have a look at it. Will post the first update after I work out what's happening.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2019, 09:28:20 pm »

Aaaaand it's finished!

It seems like when a citizen reveals the presence of the artifact in question, the game crash to desktop.

Unfortunately I've had that issue, though more when the intruder comes around to try and get the artifact.

Great work Sanctume!

Is it my turn then? I'm going to pick up the save later today and have a look at it. Will post the first update after I work out what's happening.

I think so.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2019, 04:47:38 pm »

Ok, I have the save, and it loads up correctly. Started to play the Spring of 252. I have no idea where, what or why anything is.
Expect the first update shortly.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2019, 05:03:20 pm »

Ok, I have the save, and it loads up correctly. Started to play the Spring of 252. I have no idea where, what or why anything is.
Expect the first update shortly.

Cool, sounds like a normal succession fort.  Yeah, I did not really use the lever to close the gates.  I think the citizens need proper bedrooms.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2019, 05:58:01 pm »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

PRELUDE

Sun was setting, somewhere above the rolling dark clouds. Torrents of rain fell across the endless fields of grass, carving new brooks and streams among the plum trees and willows. Spring had come to The Prairie of Impaling.

Despite its rather ominous name, The Prairie of Impaling was a rather benign corner of The Sunny Continents. One might even call it pleasant, provided one didn't mind the near-constant rain and general sogginess. At the moment at least, it seemed very peaceful. Nothing living disturbed the steady rumble of water and wind, and nothing moved among the heavily drooping trees. Except... there was something.

A group of squat figures could be seen trudging forward towards a faint flash of white in the distance, barely visible through the haze. Dwarves. Twenty-two of them, shambling relentlessly across the endless plains. They could be heard grumbling among themselves as they went. The mantra of any roadtrip ever, anywhere, in any universe, was repeated.

"Are we there yet?"

"Not yet, Onget. And stop asking that; we will be there before nightfall." Asën Bellcatch, the group's ranger, stopped to survey the landscape.  "No more sleeping in a soggy tent for us!"

"Good!" sniffed Onget Spokenconstructs, a lowly but not so humble fishery worker. "If I have to sleep a single night in a tent with Dodók's feet in it, I swear I'm going berzerk! Those things smell."

"They do not!" Dodók Foggygolds the jeweler sounded offended.

"Yes they do, they're terrible! Isn't that right, Udib?"

"They... they nearly made me rethink my intellectual values, they did." Udib Lashedrythmic, Onget's husband, shuddered with recollection.

"Well I have a rare condition, haven't I?" Dodók was veering from defensive to downright whiny. "Besides, I just washed them last Galena, so they should still be good for a while. See?" He started peeling off his shoes.

"NO!" everyone cried in unison.

Dodók deflated. "Well all right then. It isn't like there were lots of opportunities for washing in the mountainhome! There was shortage of everything. That's why we're all here, right? A place of new opportunities? Plenty of everything? Am I right?"

"Luxurious rooms for everyone..." Onget breathed.

"Plenty of space!" offered someone.

"All the food you can eat", drooled another.

"I hear they've even got... golden toilets." Dodók sounded dreamy.

And there they were. While dreaming about unimaginable luxuries, they had reached the fortress with shiny white dolomite walls. The place of happiness and indoor plumbing. The perfectly peaceful, safe and above all normal fortress of...

Peacecity.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:57:00 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2019, 04:54:05 pm »

As the fresh immigrants approached a simple floor hatch that acted as the main entrance to the underground fort, they had time to take in some details of the surface ramparts.

They passed the trade depot with some elves loitering beside it. Apparently they were supposed to be making their leave, but for some reason didn't seem very inclined to do so. Some of them were halfheartedly rummaging through piles of tanned hides which filled the entire depot, trying to find their own wares among the clutter.

"Is that...?" Onget gasped.

Through a stone grate in the outer wall a huge skeleton could be seen leaning against the wall. A full grown Giant, slain by some great dwarven hero of fables and apparently just left there in disdain, as if the huge monster had not been worthy enough opponent to warrant burial. The dwarves shuddered and climbed inside.

After several flights of descending stairs, they found themselves in an atrium of sorts, curiously growing with surface plants several levels underground.

Some rather scruffy looking recruits without any real equipment were engaged in some desultory sparring. These dwarves didn't look like legendary heroes who would eat Giants for breakfast. Something was clearly wrong.

Standing some distance off from sparring soldiers were two dwarves who seemed to be expecting the new immigrants. One of them, a skinny bald female dwarf, took few steps towards them.

"Welcome to Peacecity! My name is Kel Pinesship and I'm the mayor of this fortress. This is Dodók Boatwhipped, our militia commander." She waved her hand towards another ragged militiadwarf without any visible mark of rank. The soldier looked at her own feet and muttered something inaudible.

Kel smiled brightly. "So! Now that the introductions are out of the way we can -"

"But we haven't -" Udib started.

"- start assessing your -" Kel continued without interruption.

"I wanted to ask about the golden -" Dodók the jeweler tried.

"*ahem* I was SAYING, now that the introductions are out of the way we can start assessing your future roles in the fortress. How do they look, commander?"

The soldier shuffled uncomfortably, then leaned to whisper something to mayor's ear.

"Excellent!" the mayor grinned. "So, my good dwarves, you happened to arrive just at the right time when our militia is accepting new recruits among its growing ranks. We will pick few skilled craftsdwarves out of your group for general workforce; the rest of you can consider yourselves... drafted."

Uhhh... welcome?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2019, 05:04:05 pm »

Very nice.  Incoming Peacekeepers!

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2019, 05:02:51 pm »

Onget grimaced like a maniac. "Thihh ihh idiculouhh!" she hissed through her gritted teeth.

"Hath?" Udib grunted with his face equally contorted and glistening with sweat.

"I HAID, thihh ith idiculouh!"

"Hath? Hi kaht hundethand hou!"

"Silence in the ranks!" called the drill instructor. "Time's up. That concludes our Biting lesson. You may now unclench... slowly! The cramps will pass within few hours. Dismissed!"

The Turquoise Gills slowly dispersed to various directions. They were one of the squads in the revamped Peacecity Militia, now staffed fully with recruits of varying, mostly low, experience. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Udib and Onget leaned against the wall rubbing their jaws trying to get some sensation back into them.

"I hink... ahem. I think I can move my tongue again." Udib slapped his cheeks few times. "So I take you're not impressed with our new life in the army?"

"Impressed!" Onget spat. "We don't even have weapons or armor yet! We spend our days training kicking and biting! What kind of military is this?"

"I heard there was some trouble getting forges set up few years back", Udib said. "That's probably why there is no equipment to hand out yet. But now they have even expanded the forge area to get the production running faster!"

"I could use some cold steel in my hands", Onget relented. "Do you think they'll give us steel weapons? I hope it's not copper."

"Probably. I've seen loads of hematite and limonite here. Walls are practically made of iron ores."

"Speaking of walls, what's going on with bedrooms in this place? All this space, and hardly anyone has their own bedroom?"

"I hope that's going to get better soon as well. They just started to dig up that new residential area in west side. Looks like they're going to be big and luxurious, just like we hoped!"

"No more sleeping in dormitories", Onget sighed. "I think this military life isn't going to be so bad after all. If only... if only we could get some weapons."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:43:57 pm by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »

Horrible screams echoing from the surface had stopped work in the fortress for a while earlier that day. Carpenter Shorast Ownwire had been found wringing her hands in horror next to the Giant skeleton still casually just lying outside.

"I can't believe no one ever thought to just dump the Istrath-damned carcass!" huffed mayor Kel while pacing around her office. "What were we thinking? I want someone to pick those bones right now!"

"Um. Yes. Um." Scribe Edzul Chapelbust hastily scribbled up the order on a piece of hemp paper.

"The fort has had these... odd oversights for a long while now. Everyone was wondering why manager orders weren't getting approved, but no one didn't seem to notice Ůshrir was drafted to militia all along! Along with Asmel the messenger who is now slowly going mad from stress!

"And don't get me started that mess with my offices earlier either! Who was that dwarf who just acted as she owned the place?"

"Um, that was Asob the broker, I think." Edzul had learned just to let these outbursts calm down before the work would resume.

"Who it was doesn't matter! I want to know how these things happen! Why doesn't anyone notice anything? Why don't I notice anything?" Kel sounded desperate.

"Um. There might be something. Have you, by any chance, heard about 'the Overseer theory?'"

"The what theory? No, I can't say I have."

"The, um, theory postulates that each universe has, um, a metaphysical presence, directing  what's happening in a fortress, for instance. Not, um, a god per se but still quite omnipotent in a smaller scale. And that being is, for, uh, some reason called 'the Overseer.' Um."

"That sounds like a load of troll droppings to me, I have to say. But what that has to do with everything going wrong here?"

"Um. That's the thing. Imagine, um, if the Overseer was actually incompetent and wouldn't know how to handle a fortress? That would actually by, uh, a bad thing considering that being would, um, decide about matters of life and death." Edzul looked nervous.

"That's... a horrifying thought. And utter rubbish as well. But matters of life and death reminds me... how is our new hospital doing? I can't believe we have been here for years and never even considered a working hospital!"

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2019, 12:22:53 pm »

Asmel Oarsizzled seethed with barely contained rage as she walked through the seldom-traveled part of the fortress to get away from people. Those fools! Look at them, being so obnoxiously happy! Congratulating Kivish Trumpetgrooves for making that damn ring, that ridiculous ring with damn leather spikes on it.

It made her so angry. Most things seemed to make her angry these days; ever since her unit was called out to that pouring rain that one day she had been getting angrier and angrier every day. She couldn't stand all those noisy, bustling, stressful people! One day she would just snap, and they would be sorry.

They would all be sorry.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2019, 04:36:53 pm »

Manager Ůshrir Bridgegrowl barged out of his office and almost bumped to a group of craftsdwarves hovering uncertainly in the hallway.

"What is the meaning of this?" he blurted out. "Why aren't my work orders being completed?"

Dwarves looked around embarrassed. Finally, one of them raised his hand. "'s just that... all the workshops' cluttered, m'lord."

"Cluttered! What do you mean? Speak up, man!"

"There's no room to store the goods, no stockpiles, m'lord."

"What! I'm going to get to the bottom of this. You all stay here, I'll be right back!" Ůshrir stomped off towards the workshop level.

It was even worse than he thought. Not only there were no stockpiles to speak of, but even the workshops were situated in odd places away from their resources. Some workshops had been built outside. Some were just laid up in a busy hallway. Some even seemed to just occupy rooms that were probably intended to be bedrooms.

Things had probably been on the verge of breakdown for a while already, but recent massive orders to furnish new bedrooms and to equip the army had pushed things over the edge. Something had to be done.

There were suitable rooms for all necessary workshops in the workshop level, but half of the space was taken up by kitchens and food processing. Those had to be torn down to make room for manufacturing.

All food related production was moved one level upwards, next to the farm area. The plan for the new kitchen area would require massive amount of doors to be built, but it would be worth it.

These changes would get the production running again. The fort would probably run out of storage space again at some point, but that was something to worry about... later.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2019, 06:17:32 am »

Asmel stood crouched in the middle of a busy hallway, clenching and unclenching her fists.  Her face was twitching horribly, and she could be heard faintly muttering a steady stream of curses and obscenities to herself.

"Stop staring at me you filthy pus-boiled rats... keep moving you dried out ogre butt pimple squeezings... stop staring at me stop staring at me STOP STARING AT MEEE!"

The last words were delivered at high-pitched screech, and suddenly she took a swing at a passing leatherworker. The attacked dwarf recoiled in surprise, and Asmel followed, kicking, punching and scratching.

The leatherworker, in her shock and surprise, didn't really know how to defend herself and was reduced to bloody ruin on the floor before her mates dragged her away from the maniac and into the hospital.

Asmel stood still, breathing heavily, looking for the next victim. She charged at the next dwarf emerging from the doors, ready for more mayhem.

Unfortunately for Asmel, the dwarf in question was actually one of the Wrestlers attached to the Peacecity militia. Mere anger and energetic flailing were no match for training and skill, and the unruly messenger was soon restrained and on her way to hospital.

During her hospital stay Asmel's rage was slowly subdued and she returned to work, ashamed and chastened. Dwarves of Peacecity breathed a sigh of relief, but everyone knew there were more tantrums coming in the future.

Something had to be done.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 07:00:03 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7