Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.  (Read 26014 times)

foxstew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OP: A lot of the succession forts I've seen recently (read: 2) have tried to do something funky, i.e. modded hell and duck fortress. We need to make a succession fort with no bells or whistles attached, just a normal fort with no fancy rules.
What do you guys think?

Welcome to peacecities! A completely "Normal" fort with "no extra rules" besides the ones "required for fortress running"

Turnlist:
1. CaptainArchmage - Took surprising initiative. Several werebeast attacks. Installed some golden toilets.
2: Unknown72 couldn't do his turn
3. Sanctume -
4. Staalo
5. gchistopher

RULES:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SUPER SECRET RULE:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:07:07 am by foxstew »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We need just a normal succession fort.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 02:57:15 pm »

How about a Stress-Free fortress succession game. 
Pop cap starts at 7, one for each players. 

Pop cap increase set on winter, depends on: 
+1 per "acceptable" bedrooms having exceptional or masterwork bed, cabinet, and container; smoothed, and "light inside". 

Everyone must have at least Discipline+3.  So new migrants will be burrowed in boot camp to increase Discipline. 

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 05:30:54 pm »

What about normal mods?

dewy60

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 07:03:36 pm »

My modded hell is on hold right now until any problems would be fixed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 10:02:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure Drunk Fortress is un-modded... hint hint! ;)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 10:25:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure Drunk Fortress is un-modded... hint hint! ;)   
I think that's included in the "no fancy rules" my alcoholic (and thus truly dwarvish) friend.

A stress tree succession game could be fun. Though it is DF, so I don't imagine it'd be stress free for long.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 10:36:41 pm »

But come now, it's hard to be "stressed" about the catastrophes unfolding in-game when you're off your face!   
I'm sure more succession games of the sober variety couldn't hurt either, though.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 03:11:51 pm »

A good premise to hook players. 
Rules should be simple compared to complicated fancy. 
Like, no below ground farm foods. 
Or all are prisoners sent to this frozen waste. 

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 02:27:04 pm »

Define "normal"

I might take some time.

Maybe go for "a normal dwarven town, simple space defined for walls and the housing is underground in a planned grid". No mods.

Edit: So I made a world aaaand... war with humans. Sound good guys?

Edit 2: You know what... I can start us off. Since fox stew is in charge of the thread, they can fix up the OP and I can bow out after a year, only to show up in a few weeks to find the mess of the place that has been made.

Edit 3: We're "Peacecities", just an ordinary average dwarven fortress. Current month is end of felsite. Will post up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:39:59 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

foxstew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 11:05:20 am »

Aight cool. War with humans sounds like lots of !fun!

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 05:58:23 am »

Looking forward to it. Might want to make a turn list to keep track, in case more people want to participate. I'd be up for taking a turn myself! Though this would be my first time participating in a succession fort.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 07:12:55 am »

Normal fort go!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 06:41:03 pm »

Did I say "tomorrow" two days ago? Sorry. Monday was a bit of a squeeze.

The following is to be read in a normal way. Entirely. As in, [AIRQUOTES] Sir David Attenborough "normal" [/AIRQUOTES].

And so it was that the first tumultuous years of "The Legendary Dimension" came to an end. "First tumultuous years" being the first 250 years of history mostly in The Sunny Continents.

[/End]

Okay, so, we're from The Full Rooms, the only known dwarven civilisation in The Legendary Dimension. The core of the civilisation is based around the old beak, a mountain range at the core of the sunny continents. I'm not going over our history now because which ""normal"" LP actually does their fucking research on this matter? Hell I needed two sets of airquotes around that because not one would do.

Under normal circumstances, we’d be going for an adventure to count out a location. However, we’re not going to do that. We just want a normal fort. Just a normal fucking fort out here in the grassland.

Yeah sure.

“Normalfortress” isn’t a name. But “Peacecity” is kind of OK. Actually we’re not at war with the humans, that was an occurrence. Also randomly generated after spamming r.

The Indigo Barricade is… it works. Also that was the first generated name and I rolled with it.

The Spell of Cobalt is our symbol. That name was also our first generated.

Seems. Normal. Yes, I decided to make a generic normal dwarven standard.

Now for preparations.

This is going to be me. Just a normal masonry and architectural “expert”.

We’ve got to have some critical thinking around here.

Someone should know the three Rs.

Pretty normal outfit kit here. What are you f**king looking at, kangaroo milk is normal. At least in my fortresses.

Let’s go! And fuck dingos.

15th Granite, Year 250 LE DAY OF ARRIVAL

And so it was that on the glorious 1st Granite of the Year 250, I was sent out on a special commission by...

Her Royal Majesty Ïteb Webtomes, goblin stoneworker and queen of The Full Rooms.

Time to take a look around. Dolomite. Good start eh? OOC: I save and backup the file. From now on, we’re doing reports monthly. 15th of the month.

OOC: I didn't realise that the queen was a goblin. We're a very multicultural civilisation here. I guess so are the rest.

18th Slate, Year 250

Just a normal stockade made out of dolomite on the surface. We can make a fuckton of steel now so I guess we’ll have some portcullises there. We’re going to head inside during the full Moon.

Here’s just a normal entry way and barracks. Also firebase.

Here’s a normal processing facility for high fructose dwarven syrup and neutral grain spirit. Farms are upstairs, use a normal design.

1st Hematite, Year 250

Just a normal fortress expansion. Dining room is in order, each dwarf gets a house opposite a workshop or office. I’ve got my bedroom done (save for fucking smoothing it up and just have to assign noble positions. I’m sticking to masonry, other folks do your shit.

22nd Malachite, Year 250

*extraordinarily loud belch* OK we got migrants. This is just a normal fortress so I guess we need to just get more Section VIII up. Well there’s this thing called a temporary barracks. Make yourself at home fellas. This is just your ordinary average everyday dwarven fortress.

23rd Malachite, Year 250

So the migrants are:
Zuglar Stockexchanges, great critical thinker. You will be the scholar of the next library we build here.
Cilob Crazedseal, fisher. Go to engraving, like in a normal dwarf fortress.
Oddom Searwound, a mechanic and herbalist, well you’re going to be doing mechanics. We don't have one here.
llral Ochrechaoses, who all take over mining from the expedition leader.
Limul Paintedborn, a ranger. Take over war dog training and furnace operating.
Zulban Loverwalled, another ranger. Take over furnace operating and maybe sheriff duties.
Of course, Minkot Oilpartners, one dwarven daughter who is still a child and is like six years old.

Just a normal dwarven fortress.

14th Galena 250

I forgot to add to the list of immigrants Mesthos Tipdykes, who is a metalworker. Specifically a furnace operator, armour smith, and metalsmith. She will be the forge foredwarf. She appears to have created an artefact in the past, which is normal of dwarves these days. We'll have forges up and running SOON™.

Meanwhile, Limul Paintedborn is switched over to... stonercrafting. Just according to Keikaku. Oh wait, that should be Mesthos, she has already had a "mood"... but anyways I will keep it at Limul. In addition, this is the state of our nobles and administrators.

Edit: FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Suffice it to say, more on that in the coming few days.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:32:20 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 04:01:48 pm »

So actually, there was a bit of a time skip there and a teaser. Here's the other material between then and the werebeast attack.

1st Limestone, Year 250

It’s now Autumn and the caravan will be here in a few days. We also have nothing to trade, just like a normal dwarven fortress in its first year.

These will be the sheriff’s quarters. The big room is a barracks for the future fortress guard, but as for a normal dwarven fortress it is a barracks or B&B for dwarves without a room. Then there’s an office, a dining room, a bathroom, and a bedroom for the sheriff. That’s right, I expect running water on the short. Just like the average migrant to a dwarven fortress.

These are the expedition leader’s quarters. From top to bottom, bedroom, dining hall, and office. Sexxxy.

10th Limestone 250

The caravan and outpost liaison from… The Full Rooms has arrived. Oh Gneiss.

11th Limestone 250

WHALP

14th Limestone 250

Oh CRAP it’s the full moon and I forgot to lock up. Oh well we have a horse foal.

*checks notes* do milkfish even give live birth?

11th Sandstone, Year 250

A new month, and the realisation I was a total dumbass to not ban hunting as hunting means dwarves are a total dumbass.

23rd Sandstone, Year 250

We got even more migrants. Survey later today, just as in a normal fortress.

Our first batch of steel has come out in temporary furnaces on the surface. Our coal is undergoing processing into large quantities of coke. Also it's nice that we actually have a real blacksmith too.

LATER THAT DAY:

Normal dwarven fortresses do not have three metalsmiths. They have an armorsmith, a weapon smith, and a blacksmith. Also some funny guy who decorates shit with gold studs.

All in all we have:

Asmel Oarsizzled, a bowyer and woodworker.
Udil Walledlaud, a metalsmith with some military experience. She is 40 years old, and will remain a metalsmith.
Avuz Boardboat, a 14 year old metalsmith I am hiring as our weapons dude. Compare to our head of forges, who is 17. No I just checked. Wow. Whatever happened to "stay in school".
Edzul Chapelbust 66 year old fishery worker. Fine, you get to do the stonecrafting.
Vucar Graniteurge, 46 year old farmer, brewer, et cetera. Able to read and write. Good. We need a new scholar, but he’s better as a musician…
Minkot Guildbrands, a butcher, tanner, and cheese maker. Off to engraving with ye.
Old Vigorclostered, farmer and appraiser. Well Butcher and appraiser. Fine. Stone detailing in yer spare time. Maybe leatherworking if it should come around.
Vakob the thresher. Time to switch to, say, engraving.
Sakzul Channelwork, doctor. Good, we have a new one.
Ustuth Olanaran, five year old son of Asmel and edzul.
Sibrek Glazefingers, six year old ballet-obsessed son of Olin and Minkot.

Just a fucking normal dwarf fortress and we need more beds. I've ordered another silver birch cut down.

9th Timber 250

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Which brings us around to the sneak peak I was getting at earlier. Next update will actually cover the werebeast incident.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 10:59:38 pm »

So far: Session is over as of Granite 1st. I'm going to take some time to write this up, probably will post Thursday or Friday.

Teaser:

Just what you expect from a normal dwarven fortress.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:01:23 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7