Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.  (Read 25768 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 03:59:30 am »

Dwarven toilets? What could possibly go wrong?

I'd like to have a turn, please.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 07:14:09 am »

After this normal dwarf fortress, can you make normal goblin fortress for testing my mod?

foxstew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 11:40:51 am »

Jesus Christ, I was offline for a few days and I get this. Really great work, I'll update the OP.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 02:36:05 pm »

Sorry guys, half the links suddenly broke and I'm not sure why. Imgur isn't known for f**king up like this.

Dwarven toilets? What could possibly go wrong?

I'd like to have a turn, please.

We don't have any soap or toilet paper, but half the equipment to build a paper factory is in and we have half the ingredients required for soap in the form of skunk tallow. Sadly the only -gold bucket- we have was destined for the well.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 04:35:11 pm »

if you ninja edit the raw from "pig tail" to "pig toil", then you can have "pig toil sheets"

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 09:54:50 pm »

I see what happened - I was on the move and those images didn't load right. Problem solved.

11th Timber, Year 250

Where should I start. So, this wereloris Cobàr Alazar arrived and we got everyone underground on time. Just as you’d expect in a normal dwarven fortress there's always a were beast attack SOMETIME these days. As of writing this I've sent the militia commander out to deal with the human the creature turned into, just as normal.

Casualties in the animal population were extreme. We lost our mare, a reindeer calf, and Mono Identhlest the Bunny rabbit of some dwarf. I am expecting a total meltdown anytime soon.

A coffin will be ordered for the pet. In fact, in normal dwarven fortresses decay of pets outside generally causes bad thoughts.

We have some steel so we can fortify the outside. Oh Geez, this terrible. I’d been pulling our dwarves, until slacking off in the Autumnal season and carelessly assigning all pets and critters to the surface. This must never happen again.

In unrelated news, or rather related news as it will keep our fortress watered up, we’re going to install a plumbing system. Just like in a normal dwarven fortress. We won’t be installing a drain before these things switch on before drains are for elves. Just like in a normal dwarven fortress.

13th Timber, Year 250

Normally I wouldn’t write entries back to back but Vakôk is smoothing the wall while I try to sleep. Just like in a normal dwarven fortress.

24th Timber, Year 250

Today Limul went into a strange mood. That’s normal for a dwarven fortress but not before the second year, usually. I guess we either got to baseline normal faster than normal which would be an abnormality, or we’re not a normal fortress anymore. We will work on this.

Limul’s demands are pretty normal. He wants stone. We have some lignite lying two meters away.

LATER THAT DAY:

This is totally normal for a dwarven fortress. Nothing to see here, just a mad ranger making a highly flammable work of art out of two lumps of coal.

1st Moonstone, Year 250

Monthly report time. Assuming we’re going to changeover on Granite 15th which is the new normal for founding fortresses, I have three months and a bit left in my term and then I can just go back to being an architect in a normal dwarven fortress.

This morning Limul finally finished his project.

It’s quite an ordinary artefact grade lignite bracelet. I am not familiar with the individual pictured on it. It is not Limul's deity of choice, Litast Guardedeagles the Scorching Amethyst of Battles, the dwarven deity of war, fortresses, and minerals.

Limul will as usual now back up our supply of mugs and has control over this workshop. We have a shortage or rather the total absence of mugs which means I have to go diving in the wine barrel to get a drink. That's not normal for a dwarf to endure.

A control room is under excavation in the dining hall, which has been expanded extensively. Just as normal, though it's more for massive functions like having 100 guests piling in at once.

On the surface, we’re putting in the gates. I am informed Talc is a fine material that triggers major allergies in werebeasts so just like a normal fortress it’s better than steel bars to use.

Talc filters have been installed in the plumbing supply so we will get an excellent supply of vegan, organic, lead-free deionised water pumped to our wells. As we have not an alcohol shortage, mostly this will aid defecation and cleaning.

I am also informed that it will remove the pollution spreading from our standard furnace operations, pictured here, just as in a standard ordinary average everyday dwarven fortress.

We need to secure the south gates. This should not be a problem. I want to use that tree for orchard reasons, and maybe have another fortification. I also want to make use of the dolomite for engraving so invaders can walk over a literal fuck you as in a normal dwarven fortress.

As we have some fishing we’ll be putting down a workshop for them and a door to keep out the smell. If one door isn't enough we'll put in a triple airlocked setup.

Our population stands at 26 and we have no administrative deficiencies. This should be just like a normal dwarven fortress, or “Hamlet” as it is now.

1st Opal, Year 250

Another month has passed without incident, just like normal. We now have a pile of mugs in the drink stockpile which should be self-sanitising.

This is what the surface of the fortress looks like. I personally finished pump design and it was finished by our resident mechanic whose main skills are finding the right strains of cannabis to get totally out of this world. What really grinds my gears is the lack of an automated system for pumping. We’ll fix that this month.

We’re now refining gold ore into gold bars for a special project this fall. Just like a normal dwarven fortress.

There are three levels of dolomite and that’s it. We’re likely going to be reserving the stuff for flux from now on. Just like a normal dwarven fortress. Depicted are the excavations for some new section VIII housing here just like for a normal dwarven fortress.

We’re going to raise the alert tomorrow so everyone goes underground for the new moon. In the future, after the gates are built, we will only have to pull them inside the fortress.

1st Obsidian, Year 250

The alert is up for the Obsidian full moon. Actually there’s a full moon at the end of the month too…

The mechanisms for running the pump are pretty much done. Once the alert is over we’ll install a cutoff switch and some water wheels to power the thing, guaranteeing us water. I am informed this is standard for a normal dwarven fortress.

Progress on “Operation Solid Gold” is approaching completion. We now have an almost completely gilded floor in the well room. This will be the most opulent room in the entire fortress so far.

We have a library up and running, restricted to citizens and long term residents to prevent book theft. Normal forts have a library, an inn, and a temple, so we’ll get the temple up next. To the north is some Section VIII housing to fulfil future expansion needs.  I'm trying to make sure every dwarf has at least a 5x5 room with at least a bed, a chest, a cabinet, an armour stand, and a weapon rack that can be doored off. Just as is normal for a dwarven fortress.

This is the surface view of a good deal of the fort. Portcullis B is having mechanisms installed. Portcullis A will be completed shortly and will seal off the fort properly during the full moons, so we can be safe on the surface. Animals are kept in the structure to the south east, so they should be safe during full moons. Milking equipment will be brought in sometime. Unfortunately, none of the animals killed in the were beast attack were deemed safe to eat or even cut up due to biohazard protocols, just as normal.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Granite, Year 251

Now normally this would be the last day of my reign, and the first day of my successors. However, the full year ends on the 15th Granite and this is now... the new normal since forts take about 15 days of admin after the new year to set up as opposed to a full year. I’ve spent time doing some finishing touches up here, starting with this solid gold bathroom with a nice dolomite counter for arranging stuff. All the parts are available to make a solid gold well save for the chain and the mechanisms, which cannot be made out of gold but can be made out of silver or steel.

As you can see we have some bad weapons. Axes, though all steel. What can you expect from a 14 year old. We have enough steel to make six more axes, which is enough to outfit a maximum sized squad to ensure things stay peaceful and normal around here. My successor should probably take the furnace and stuff downstairs, as in a normal dwarven fortress, or put them outdoors.

We’re still in full moon mode, but orders have been given to open up the fortress portcullis B. Portcullis A has not been connected up to any levers. Levers not connected up to anything is standard for a dwarven fortress but at least everything is labelled right.

The plumbing is active now and all filters are ready. If the next fortress leader needs to shut down the pumps, just pull this lever here.

These are our locations. We have a library, a temple, and the dining hall has been integrated into The Knowing Desserts. We’re also getting visitors.

Here’s the state of everything, at the end of 251. Hopefully my successor can keep everything normal here at Peacecities. GDP this year was 131,153 Dorfmarks so about 5044 Dorfmarks/resident including kids. Actual step-down is on the 15th Granite.

Todo: Cleanup the wereloris casualties, all of whom were animals. Also bury the bunny rabbit. Sorry if I end up ending this year on such a brown note.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 11:07:29 pm »

I am delighted by the concentrations of normal in this thread. :D

Are you folks taking dorfings yet?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 11:52:46 pm »

Finally finished, here's the last 15 days of the year.

For the final 15 days of my term, I’ve made Edzul Chapelbust the metal crafter of the fortress. Some folks are going to WTF at this but it’s the skill required to make chains. Plus, he likes gold. I’d passed over both Vucar Graniteurge the planter and Dr. Channelwork. This is totally normal.

A quick fix for the dead pet is that I’ve designated a talc coffin (masterwork talc) to be installed in the entry way to Peacecities’ fortress proper, to bury the bunny who died in the horrific wereloris attack.

I need to do some mining designations. Just like for a normal fortress.

2nd Granite, Year 251

The chain is done. Due to buggering up job permissions I forgot to take Vucar Graniteurge off the job but it’s fine to have two metal crafters and Vucar went above and beyond his skill level. Vucar prefers to work with brass.

4th Granite, Year 251

Since gold can’t be used for mechanisms I said fuck it and use silver. Just as usual. The well’s been designated, it will look rad. I'll get to it when I finish this glass furnace.

Just rad. Like normal.

Priority is now minting coins for this year.

With coinage arriving we need a bank. This will also house a jeweller’s.

10th Granite, Year 251

An elven caravan has arrived. Just as normal, though once upon a time they tended to arrive later.

There’s supposed to be a teller in the bank but everyone would rather be doing other stuff than engrave the walls. Our first cage traps will be set here to discourage thieving.

We finally buried the bunny.

14th Granite, Year 251

Late evening: Our blacksmith finally finished the well. TA DAAAAAAAAA. Enjoy the opulence of dolomite sink tops, golden shutters, and disinfective silver gears. Peacecities is finally in business!

Spoiler: A Few Thoughts (click to show/hide)

15th Granite, Year 251

Today I finally step down after finishing my full year in power.

This is what our currency looks like for this year. Designs may vary from year to year. Totally normal stuff.

Here’s the main floor of the fortress. Work will be designated to the major housing project to the west, and the long term residential rooms for the inn to the east.

Here’s the surface. Beehives have been added to the animal pen, on non-grass-bearing surfaces.

To make it up to Edzul, we’ll give him the job of working in the library as a scribe and becoming one of the best writers this fortress has seen. Like, after the manager and bookkeeper who should be able to read and write.

Asmel, who never got to do as much carpentry as our chief medical dwarf, will become the fortress messenger.

I will now retire as a fortress performer, as I seem to know my shit. Peace out (or, in).

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14602

OOC: Note that years end on Granite 15th due to the offset of fortress settlement and adventurer starts by 15 days in the latest versions of DF. Once upon a time, normal fortresses skipped forward to the start of the next year, and adventurers to the next month, which is why the old games tend to switch Granite 1st.

Edit: Messaged Unknown72. I will watch from afar as this "normal" fortress develops.

Turnlist:
1. CaptainArchmage - Took surprising initiative. Several werebeast attacks.
2: Unknown72

There was just one wereloris attack.

This is what a loris looks like.
This is maybe, what the wereloris looked like save for the fact that its eyes glowed aqua, not orange.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:18:23 am by CaptainArchmage »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 02:02:19 am »

May I sign up for a turn?

Normal is my thing.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 02:33:39 am »

First time for me in participating in one of these. I normally don't do much in my fortresses and typically abandon them within 3-4 years because by that point i've modded something or added something new and need to start again. Guess we'll see what happens.

Tomorrows a particularly free day so once I get home I'll most likely churn out most, if not all of the year in one go. Might be a bit less normal though, as I play with Phoebus and Dwarf Therapist by default, otherwise I get lost most of the time.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 04:26:01 am »

Tomorrows a particularly free day so once I get home I'll most likely churn out most, if not all of the year in one go. Might be a bit less normal though, as I play with Phoebus and Dwarf Therapist by default, otherwise I get lost most of the time.

There aren't any mods on this file (unless I modified microcline and orthoclase to be porcelain-suitable stones as well... they were in my view alluded to being referred to as such in the raws when porcelain was brought back) so switching tile sets should be easy. I'm using standard curses.

The actual challenge for people with this fort is more likely the mechanics and scheduling. The plumbing system, if they want to expand it. The whole "the gates are there to keep out werebeasts". The fact we have a temple and need more of them to the rest of the gods worshipped by other dwarves. Libraries.

P.S. Grates depressurise water, apparently.

Normally a turn taken in 24 hours FLAT, or all you could do in 24 hours, was associated with a certain series known as Sparkgear. But that wasn't a normal fortress, or rather just crammed in too much normal (or abnormal that was normal with dwarven fortresses) in 24 hours.

I am delighted by the concentrations of normal in this thread. :D

Are you folks taking dorfings yet?

If you'd asked for a specific profession I'd have dwarf'd you. I'm guessing the next players will dorf as... I guess "random".

Which means you might end up as the guy running the bank but dorf fortress means that's just managing the stockpiles in the bank. Or shuttling the cage trap contents where it needs to go.

... or you might end up as the guy who stayed out fishing in the wrong spot during a werebeast attack. Thankfully, I designated fishing zones within the fortifications and as of yet it seems most or all invasions appear from the side that the wagon was initially accessible from i.e. the one that's fortified. Fishing zones are just preferred though, not "mandatory" so it's like a guideline. Urist McFuckYerGuidelinesI'mFishingAtTheTopNorthCornerOfTheMap might be in a world of hurt if the next overseer were to "accidentally" forget to raise alerts during the full Moon (or like, EVER, preemptively) and as you've seen that's totally normal.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:42:08 am by CaptainArchmage »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 09:33:20 pm »

Unfortunately work stuff popped up and now I need to work overtime for the next 2 days. So I can't get to this till monday, sorry fellas, just my perfectly normal life going through the perfectly normal motions.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 02:33:57 am »

Unfortunately i'll have to pass on my turn, my schedule just got flipped upside down so I won't have much time to do this in the foreseeable future.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 10:14:30 am »

If it's available in 10 hours, I might just take a normal turn tonight.  Normal for me includes collapsing a piece of earth underground the dwarfs can enjoy the outside down below.  That's normal. 

foxstew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 11:04:42 am »

ok. I've updated the turn list.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7