Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.  (Read 25707 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 11:38:46 am »

ok. I've updated the turn list.

There were a couple turn requests prior to Santume's:

Dwarven toilets? What could possibly go wrong?

I'd like to have a turn, please.

May I sign up for a turn?

Normal is my thing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:40:30 am by gchristopher »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 05:31:54 pm »

Yeah, there's a list.  That normal.  And normally, that I should be put at the bottom.  I like to put things, like dirt, down the bottom.  Thanks :)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:10 pm »

Unfortunately work stuff popped up and now I need to work overtime for the next 2 days. So I can't get to this till monday, sorry fellas, just my perfectly normal life going through the perfectly normal motions.
If it's available in 10 hours, I might just take a normal turn tonight.  Normal for me includes collapsing a piece of earth underground the dwarfs can enjoy the outside down below.  That's normal. 

I was going to say before the weekend, if someone else could take a 48 hour term that would be a "double sparkgear" or something. Just as normal. Once upon a time, Sparkgears were fairly normal and chaotic affairs but that was mostly before DF2010. Anyways, let's see how Sanctume does.

I might come back to this after some turns have passed.

Edit: Actually there's a "safe space" on the surface already, Sanctume. But if you want to punch some skylights, go right ahead, just like in a normal fortress.

Back in the old days, we called them "smokestacks". Just as you'd have in a normal fortress.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:01:48 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 09:17:03 pm »

I shall look at the save right now, regardless because I need normalcy.
Just browsing for now, and writing notes, normal stuff.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:50:25 pm by Sanctume »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 10:09:20 pm »

I think extra motivated players taking a turn early in the list when the OP is slow to reply or makes a clerical error is pretty normal. You should go for it.

Just as an abstract random unrelated thought, 130 Z-levels sounds like a long ways to raise magma. Still perfectly normal to do so, of course.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:28:08 pm by gchristopher »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 10:49:44 am »

I think extra motivated players taking a turn early in the list when the OP is slow to reply or makes a clerical error is pretty normal. You should go for it.

Just as an abstract random unrelated thought, 130 Z-levels sounds like a long ways to raise magma. Still perfectly normal to do so, of course.

It's also perfectly normal to dig a long staircase straight down and send goods up. Also have a normal little fortress down at the magma to live in, just for the metalworkers. Also having plumbing everywhere for water. Moar gilded bathrooms!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

foxstew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 11:05:45 am »

sorry! i need to check this more often. thanks for correcting me. looks like sanctume is still going next, but ill put the other two on.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 12:58:39 pm »

It's also perfectly normal to dig a long staircase straight down and send goods up.

What? That doesn't sound normal at all... I mean, maybe hand carry a few red hot minecarts full of magma up the stairs to tide you over for a few weeks until you're ready to accidentally flood the surface, but I have honestly never contemplated what you describe. That's just plain weird.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 02:23:56 pm »

It's normal to cut in line, even when against the rules it is ethically reprehensible, and whistle blowers are pacified.  With this business out of the way, I shall proceed with my inquiries of the citizens of this hamlet, freedom of the presser and all that pulp.  By the way, do we have paper makers?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2019, 03:25:19 pm »

It's normal to cut in line, even when against the rules it is ethically reprehensible, and whistle blowers are pacified.  With this business out of the way, I shall proceed with my inquiries of the citizens of this hamlet, freedom of the presser and all that pulp.  By the way, do we have paper makers?

I tried to put in a toilet paper factory in the food storage and processing level, which is above the tavern just as you'd normally expect. There are two querns in it, no screw press but that just requires two mechanisms and you're good to go. You might want some dedicated staff. There should be enough pig tails to provide material to the operation. Just like normal.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 03:36:16 pm »

Introduction: Truth Counters Rumors

From the historical archives of Peacecity, circa 250.
Mr. Edzul Edd `Double D` Chapelbust, male 67, dabbling stonecrafter.
Mrs. Asmel `Eddy` Oarsizzled, female 73, bowyer and woodworker.
Ustuth `Ed` Gearedsculpted, male 6, child.
They were referred to as the Eds: Edd `Double D` is the smartest of the Eds. `Eddy` is the self-appointed leader of the Eds. `Ed` is the strong, airheaded child.

Edd `Double D` Chapelbust was a mild mannered reporter of Peach Creek Gazette when rumors of war with the humans was the dominant talk in the taverns.  `Eddy`, his wife, an ex-bowyer, insisted they move immediately to Peacecity with their six year old son `Ed`.

`Double D` was a dabbling stonecrafter and worried he will be put back to apprenticeship all over again in Peacecity, but good fortune struck fast when he was given the position of scribe.  There weren't many demands for copying books because of the bureaucratic bottleneck in paper supplies. 

When his wife `Eddy` accepted the messenger position to handle the logistics of delivering news to the liaison for the mountainhome, it occurred to him that someone has to write the news in Peacecity. This was his chance to practice wordsmithing.

On the first day of the new year 251, `Double D` told ‘CaptainArchmage’ of his idea.  "... so I will spend my time writing normal stories in Peacecity that should counter the rumor of war.  I have all of these in writing, sign here:"

a piece of pig tail paper in dimple cup dye, "A year I shall have, and no more.  The power shall be granted onto Edd `Double D` Chapelbust to write the truth of the normal activities of Peacecity.  The benefits of this position are: access to all information; authorization to interview any citizen, noble or worker alike; a monthly stipend of twelve extra rations drinks, and a half-month paid time off (PTO)."

Why did ‘CaptainArchmage’ signed with a mischievous smirk? 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2019, 12:42:29 am »

Eh? It's ok, I didn't expect to have my turn so soon anyway.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2019, 12:40:35 am »

Eh? It's ok, I didn't expect to have my turn so soon anyway.

You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Introduction: Truth Counters Rumors

From the historical archives of Peacecity, circa 250.
Mr. Edzul Edd `Double D` Chapelbust, male 67, dabbling stonecrafter.
Mrs. Asmel `Eddy` Oarsizzled, female 73, bowyer and woodworker.
Ustuth `Ed` Gearedsculpted, male 6, child.
They were referred to as the Eds: Edd `Double D` is the smartest of the Eds. `Eddy` is the self-appointed leader of the Eds. `Ed` is the strong, airheaded child.

Edd `Double D` Chapelbust was a mild mannered reporter of Peach Creek Gazette when rumors of war with the humans was the dominant talk in the taverns.  `Eddy`, his wife, an ex-bowyer, insisted they move immediately to Peacecity with their six year old son `Ed`.

`Double D` was a dabbling stonecrafter and worried he will be put back to apprenticeship all over again in Peacecity, but good fortune struck fast when he was given the position of scribe.  There weren't many demands for copying books because of the bureaucratic bottleneck in paper supplies. 

When his wife `Eddy` accepted the messenger position to handle the logistics of delivering news to the liaison for the mountainhome, it occurred to him that someone has to write the news in Peacecity. This was his chance to practice wordsmithing.

On the first day of the new year 251, `Double D` told ‘CaptainArchmage’ of his idea.  "... so I will spend my time writing normal stories in Peacecity that should counter the rumor of war.  I have all of these in writing, sign here:"

a piece of pig tail paper in dimple cup dye, "A year I shall have, and no more.  The power shall be granted onto Edd `Double D` Chapelbust to write the truth of the normal activities of Peacecity.  The benefits of this position are: access to all information; authorization to interview any citizen, noble or worker alike; a monthly stipend of twelve extra rations drinks, and a half-month paid time off (PTO)."

Why did ‘CaptainArchmage’ signed with a mischievous smirk? 

Excellent work here. If this were normal dwarven fortress we'd have some kind of thing going to get sliver barbs and get the sliver dye to make black ink. That means we can get the full quadrumvirate of inks (black, blue, red for corrections, and green for "IDGAF what I am doing"). Oh right, ink isn't a think in dwarf fortress.

YET.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2019, 07:09:01 pm »

You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

I'm putting this in my signature, it's the most colorful way someones described my life being busy irl.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecity - Chapter 1: Hamlet Logic and Logistics
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2019, 03:32:30 pm »

Chapter 1: Hamlet Logic and Logistics

"A normal approach to diplomacy is to observe and practice proper decorum.  For dealing with the Elf civilization, it is prudent to postpone any tree felling activities throughout the duration of their visit.  No items made or decorated with wood shall be considered for trade.  Approach trade with patience for the value of normal items increase with time."  -- Sanctume Spiritstone, from the book `Archives of the Ancients`

Year 251.

The elf merchants are in the trade depot waiting, and everyone else is hauling the normal quality stone furnishings and crafts and mugs for disposal trade to the depot.  The unspoken mandate to get rid of anything less than exceptional quality is just the norm.

‘CaptainArchmage’: *hands over the signed paper* "I will be done here in a couple of weeks, and I have a gig lined up in the tavern.  I hope to see you there." 

`Double D` was so elated finding a scrap of pig tail paper and barely enough dimple dye to write his own contract, and now it is signed!  He ponders about the length of `Double D` in his notes, and considers using `DD` for shorthand.

‘CaptainArchmage’: "Be sure to talk to Asob Tinfishes, our esteemed expedition leader.  Remind her the elf merchants are here because she is our broker too."

DD: "Right.  Thank you."  *mumbles about the paper supply shortage*

--
No time to be idle, off to seek the expedition leader.

Asob Tinfishes, female 53, planter, expedition leader is also the noble broker.  Her presence has been requested at the depot but she is taking her leisure time, drinking.

DD: "Hi, I’m ‘Double D’ and I’d like to interview you for a story." 
Asob: *glug, glug*  "I’m off the clock right now.  Go ask the other nobles." 
DD: "But we have a paper supply shortage." 
Asob: *glug, glug, glug*  "Ahhh.  Well, I’ll be at the farm later after this last drink." 
--

Off to see the record keeper.

Zulban Growledknives, single male 80, the noble bookkeeper of Peacecity has no interest in any particular item and would rather count plump helmet spawns for fun. 

DD: Hi, I’m…
ZD: I know who you are.  Any official inquiry must be in writing.

DD: Uhh, just asking off the record.
ZD: Well then, ask away.

DD: Do we have any papers?
ZD: We have none.  No sheet, no parchment.

DD: Do we have any pig tails? 
ZD: We have sixteen pig tail plants, and no other plant that qualifies for paper making. 

DD: That is good for pig tails, I suppose.  How about drinks?
ZD: *brows furrowed* Aha!  We have exactly 1 drink left, a dwarven wine vintage 250, and Asob is drinking the last one now.

DD: What?  How will I get my extra monthly drinks? 
ZD: Extra drinks, ha!

DD: I get twelve extra drinks monthly.
ZD: We have three buckets available.  You can drink from the well to your fill, more than twelve a month for sure.

DD …
--

To the farms!

Asob, planter, expedition leader, and noble broker is harvesting plants. 

DD: Asob, did you know we are low on drinks?
Asob: *stares* Why do you think I am harvesting these?

DD: Did you know your presence is requested at the depot? 
Asob: *glares* Of course, I requested myself there to appease the elf, but I am doing more important work. 

DD: What about the paper supply issue? 
Asob: *smiles* Oh so you’re in the loop for that paper supply issue.  You can help. *tosses pile of plants*  Give these to the brewer.  I have seeds to plant. 
--

Hauling plants to meet the brewer.

Vucar Graniteurge, married male 47, planter, brewer, reader, and musician.

Vucar: Dude, what’s up?
DD: There is a paper supply issue, and also a booze shortage, so I came here to find out why.

Vucar: Dude, it was a rhetorical question. 
DD: Are we getting more booze anytime soon?  I have these plants. 

Vucar: Dude, those plants you have will do.  But sorry Dude, I don’t have any empty containers. 
DD: What’s with the noise upstairs? 

Vucar: *smiles* Dude. There’s the these hemp plants, and woah dude, they are the best plants, even way better when burning.
DD:  They grow outdoors, and we do not want fire raging in Peacecity!

Vucar: No Dude, not that big of a fire, just small enough to cause smoke. 
DD: What are you talking about?  So what about brewing? 

Vucar: Dude, there's no work order for more brewing.
DD: But I brought these plants. 

Vucar: Thanks Dude, but like there are no drink containers left too.
DD: ...
Vucar: I'm late for my gig at the tavern.  Laters dude!
--

Back to the farms.

Asob was finishing planting seeds. 

Asob: Stop!  Yeah, just stand there before the stairs, don’t go nearer or up. 
DD: Vucar said we have no containers for the drinks.

Asob: That’s a logistics issue.  Bring it up with the manager.
DD: Wait, what about the depot?

Asob: Listen. Yeah, it’s time.
DD: Time for wha...

A piece of the earth’s surface collapses just above the indoor farms.  Double D was briefly stunned from the dust spreading from the stairs.  He regained his bearings from shouting of jubilation above, and then coughing soon followed.   

‘CaptainArchmage’: *emerges from the stairs*  Damn, I was to build that door sooner but Dodok was in a hurry. 

Dodok Boatwhipped, female 85, miner and militia commander.

Dodok: *descends out of the stairs strapping a copper pick on her back* “Got `er done. Now, oft fo` mo diggin`”

Asob: *smiles* Thanks.  Our new outdoor farm, inside will be great.  I’m late for a tavern meeting.  *points to DD*  You, Ushrir, our manager wants to see you.  Bye!

--

Off to the manager’s office.

Ushrir Bridgegrowl, single male 75, noble manager of Peacecity.

Ushrir: You are quite an inquisitive fellow.
DD: Yes, I am.  Thanks, I think.

Ushrir: What do you mean we have booze shortage? 
DD: The record keeper says we have 1 left, and Asob has been drinking it.

Ushrir: My last report says we have 2 left, maybe 2 barrels or 2 mugs worth left. What is important here is not spreading fake news in Peacecity.
DD: I am concerned about getting my twelve monthly drinks.

Ushrir: We do have a well, and I sent work orders to brew everything. 
DD: The brewer said there were no work orders, and no drink containers available.

Ushrir: You seems to be quite in-the-know of these.  Very impressive.
DD: Any what about the paper supply issue?

Ushrir: What do you mean paper supply issue?  We have no paper to begin with, so no issue.
DD: I just want to help to get my drinks and practice writing. 

Ushrir: Good. I'm far too busy dealing with ‘CaptainArchmage’ and his plumbing problems... it started last year..  And now this business of bringing outside indoors!

2 days later.

DD: Was there a point to rehashing all of the event last year? 
Ushrir: No, just passing time.  I am off to the tavern for happy hour.

DD: The hour is still dark. 
Ushrir: That is the happy hour.  You can submit work orders for me while I'm off.  That should get you moving things along.

DD: How do I do that? 
Ushrir: You already have understanding of the logistics and supply chains.  What do you need for booze?  Someone has to make something to get to the brewing.  Make those orders and move on to the next in the list.  And make sure to take your PTO.  Like me. Now. Bye!

The task of creating work orders seems so simple from the manager’s office.  `Double D` ordered wood barrels, stone furnishings, and even mechanisms.
--

Off to see the carpenter.

Atis Giltelders, single male 70, carpenter

Atis: You want 50 + 12 barrels? Each month? No.
DD: What do you mean no?  I am authorized to submit this work order. 

Atis: Sure you can submit, but I can ignore, deny, cancel fully, or partially comply according to my convenience and resources. 
DD: That does not sound productive. 

Atis: It does to me when I only have six logs available. 
DD: Someone should get more logs. 

Atis: Yeah, well, it seems someone in charge is showing politeness with the Elf merchants as there are no felling of trees happening since they arrived.
DD: Who is the wood cutter? 

Atis: That would be me also. 
DD: Do you need work orders to cut down trees? 

Atis: No, that’s done manually.  The manager goes out there and marks the trees for cutting.  But like I said, someone is showing politeness while the elf merchants are here.
DD: In that case, the trade should happen soon.
--

Off to the tavern.

The Knowing Desserts is a quite roomy, and busy with dwarfs and visitors. 

Asob: You are quite busy for a scribe.  You need to take some quality PTO.  And this here is the quality place for it. 
DD: What about the depot?  The elf merchants have been there a few weeks already. 

Asob: Relax.  They are a timid bunch.  Hurrying is a sign a rudeness.  Let them fawn over our normal goods and they become more valuable in mere days.  *sips drink
DD: Hey, I thought there were no drinks left? 

Asob: You were busy ordering barrels that you forgot, we have a legendary stone crafter that make these quality mugs and rock pots.  That is a shame as your dossier says you're a dabbling stone crafter.   
DD: I never made it past apprenticeship.  What dossier?  I ...

*CLANG* A loud noise from what seems like a solid metal hitting a metal pipe.

Asob: One ping, right?
DD: Yes, just one.

Asob: *smiles* It’s your lucky day, migrants are arriving.  Stick around, soon enough, we will meet all twenty-seven of them here in The Knowing Desserts. 

On the 23rd of Granite, twenty-seven migrants began arriving, and that is normal.  Of those notable: one more stone crafter, three mace dwarfs, one spear dwarf, one sword dwarf, two mechanics, one miner, and one child. 

It has been two nights, and the migrants are still arriving with their animals.  The moon is about to become is full in two more evenings. 
--

*CLANG-CLANG* The loud noise repeats, every hour.

Asob: I’m sure you know that’s the general alert for everyone to go in Safe Space.  It is worrying that we have a few more stragglers coming in.   But that’s normal.

As the moon sets down on the 26th Granite, the general alert has been lifted, and some migrants and animals are still making their way to Peacecity.

The Peacecity Times
7th Slate, 251 normal news report by Edd `Double D` Chapelbust

Peacecity celebrated the new year with normal enthusiasm. 

The year began with the visit of the Elf merchants seeking trade, and concluded yesterday with pleasing profitability for all.  Asob, noble broker of Peacecity, arrives at the depot, points at the pile of normal goods, and then points at the pile of elf things.  She poses a question, “trade our quality goods worth ☼1270☼ for some of your normal logs, barrels, and clothing worth ☼643☼?  Atera, the elf merchant agrees and seems pleased.  The deal was done.  After the departure of the elf merchants, wood cutting resumed to normal.

During the nights of the full moon which coincided with the migrants’ arrivals, the Safe Space general alert proves to be working well. 

The fifty-three citizens of Peacecity continue the celebration with an increase surge of the drink supply in the normal tavern, The Knowing Desserts. 

☼DD☼
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7