Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.  (Read 25758 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecity - Chapter 1: Hamlet Logic and Logistics
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2019, 05:17:40 pm »

Chapter 1: Hamlet Logic and Logistics

-snip

Dude, how the F did you manage to cause a cave in.

Also we're not at war with the humans. That was established earlier.

Also: CaptainArchmage is officially supposed to be a performer I guess. Did the inn get damaged?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2019, 06:21:33 pm »

Dude, how the F did you manage to cause a cave in.

Also we're not at war with the humans. That was established earlier.

Also: CaptainArchmage is officially supposed to be a performer I guess. Did the inn get damaged?

The surface has dolomite pebbles, and I'm not about to pump water to wet it.  So I channeled it to expose white sand, below that is black sand, then clay, then the farm.  So I dropped the white sand onto the black sand, then add a ceiling.  3 1x7 outdoor farm plot that is inside. 

Yeah, we're not at war, but I played on the rumors of it. 

The inn is fabulous!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2019, 06:12:28 pm »

The inn is fabulous!

Thanks, I did my best at it.

We're trying to be a normal dwarven fortress but it won't be a normal dwarven succession game until people ask "What the fuck is with this fortress?"
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

foxstew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2019, 11:14:12 am »

hi, I'm back, its probably a good idea for someone else to make an organizational post, my life is about to get crazy and I won't have time to do this :|

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:05 pm »

hi, I'm back, its probably a good idea for someone else to make an organizational post, my life is about to get crazy and I won't have time to do this :|

Normally this happens a few turns in. Normally. I mean boatmurdered went through several turns while we've had
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just check up on a weekend and I guess we can move this through as it goes I guess. Maybe when the turn list you've put up now is exhausted...

Also damn Sanctume your years are almost as verbose as mine used to be... I made an effort this time to not get bogged down.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2019, 12:53:11 pm »

Was cramming work Mon to Thu, so I can play tonight and the weekends. 
I will continue my normal routine soon!

So other than collapsing more dirt inside, what would be next, normally?  It's rhetorical! But I'm open to suggestions. 

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2019, 01:32:21 pm »

Was cramming work Mon to Thu, so I can play tonight and the weekends. 
I will continue my normal routine soon!

So other than collapsing more dirt inside, what would be next, normally?  It's rhetorical! But I'm open to suggestions.

If you mean normal for 23a, dig to the chasm. I played that version, in a community game, but after I played DF2010.

But really, it would be "normal" to complete the surface defences and dig to the fukken magma. Preferably using dwarven roaddar. Maybe using expendable miners, or rather, peasants.

It was also "normal", or is now "normal", to get a reasonable rate of toilet paper production going so we can make scrolls (books have a bit of an issue due to the way the number of pages is stored). Also it is normal to build a temple complex and designate statues or figurines for each "god" for each temple.

Also get some display cases or pedestals up.

All those are kind of separated jobs.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2019, 01:59:26 pm »

Thanks for having a well because that 1 Drink remaining was probably normal too. 

And damn, that's quite a normal suggestion because I have similar things in mind.  Won't spoil it all, but I got 3 of those 4 in the works. 

My last thought was, where would I normally start digging down because I was not used to a normal 1 hatch entrance. 

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2019, 04:43:17 pm »

My last thought was, where would I normally start digging down because I was not used to a normal 1 hatch entrance.

It used to not be normal because it was incredibly terrible to have 1-tile-wide anythings except for tracks and statue holders. It caused major traffic jams.

https://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%201-21/
Like thus.

I believe they still cause jams but it isn't as much of a debuff now. Normally I'd have gone for a 3x3 entry stairwell where the hatch was with a proper covering but this had to be done fast.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2019, 01:14:00 pm »

I was able to play until Galena, with lots of pauses and screenshots and normal writing of events. 

I intended to write something per month, but the multi-tasking projects just happens parallel so that "monthly news" won't quite fit. 

I also had unexpected IRL visitors last weekend, so my social duties took time away from my play times. 
And with this Thanksgiving week being busy, I probably cannot finish the entire year without extra time. 

I'll be working on my notes and images to upload so I can post before Thursday. 
It sucks that I have work on Friday too. 

Perhaps I can request an extension to complete? If not this Thanksgiving weekend, then into next weekend after, at most.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2019, 06:46:34 pm »

I was able to play until Galena, with lots of pauses and screenshots and normal writing of events. 

I intended to write something per month, but the multi-tasking projects just happens parallel so that "monthly news" won't quite fit. 

I also had unexpected IRL visitors last weekend, so my social duties took time away from my play times. 
And with this Thanksgiving week being busy, I probably cannot finish the entire year without extra time. 

I'll be working on my notes and images to upload so I can post before Thursday. 
It sucks that I have work on Friday too. 

Perhaps I can request an extension to complete? If not this Thanksgiving weekend, then into next weekend after, at most.

Let's see where we are Thanksgiving weekend. I think this should be fine.

Edit: Take note it's Thanksgiving so Happy Thanksgiving everyone and if your country does not have Thanksgiving, remember any evening can become an overeating evening.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:23:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecities - Chapter 2: Normal Village
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2019, 08:51:21 pm »

Chapter 2: Normal Village

The spring festivities began with generous commission to Engraver’s Association for a new district.  However, the district was ordered to be evacuated temporarily in the mid-Felsite month by the Miner’s Union. 

The miners excavated an area for the park level.  Grand stairs scaffolding were dug up, and then removed from top to bottom. 

Ushrir: "Clear?"

"All clear, You have a go" affirmed by commander Dodok who locked the door following safety protocol.

Ushrir, the miner and noble manager of Peacecity strikes at the last supporting dirt and collapses a piece of earth to fill the dirt containment below for the park level.

Violent dust blew in all directions with a force of sucking air into the void for those near the hole, including Ushrir. 

Briefly stunned, and coughing as the dust settled, Ushrir was trapped two levels below on a dirt ledge.  Construction of wooden stairs was underway to rescue Ushrir. 

In the mean time, there were cheers from below as the indoor park was a success, and engravings of the temples resumed. 

Felsite news article by DD

"An ambitious plan to create an indoor central park plaza in the middle of Temple District was a success. 

Other than a non-critical rescue effort for Ushrir, the miner and manager, everything went smoothly just as the temples are being engraved. 

Demands for statues for each of the deities are high by the worshipers."

A tour and survey of the temple district was published:

The Diamond Abbey, dedicated to The Canyon of Diamonds (Metals) has 11 worshippers.

The Amethyst Church, dedicated to Litast Guardedeagles the Scorching Amethyst of Battles (Minerals, Fortress, War) has 6 worshippers.

The Brass Cathedral, Mostib the Brass Inks (Mountains, Jewels) has 2 worshippers.

The Jade Temple, Istrath the Wealth of Jade (Wealth) has 7 worshippers.

The Sanctum of Jackals, Astan Jackaldemons (Jealousy) has 3 worshippers.

The Shrine of Laws, Mingkil the Cloudy Belts (Laws, Oaths, The Seasons) has 6 worshippers.

The Mason’s Guild are commissioned to create two statues for each deity with a matching coffer.

--
On the society page, Happy Hearts Day.  On the 14th of Felsite, Herbalist Oddom has given birth to baby girl Led.  Oddom at the time was still hauling piles of hemp plants.  She had to abandon the pile while seeking for her infant. 

==
On a torn sheet of of pig tail paper in dimple dye...
"... the surface defenses ... (torn)
The miners are proving "dwarven roaddar" engineering ...
(torn) ... paper production going so we can make scrolls ...
It is normal to build a temple complex ..."

==

Back to the Miner’s Guid office.  The plans are designated to dig deeper in search of magma. 

The new mayor is concerned of the dangers of the unknown below ground. 

An new migrant miner assures that the new engineering technique, "dwarven roaddar" can discern thin walls to assure safe dig site. 

The 3-wide spiral ramp will reach more than 100 levels down. 

==

Paper supply production.
While the digsite is underway, the paper is being addressed.

Somehow, a harvest of hemp plants have been lost or consumed.  The record keeper stated we have hemp threads now.  The brewer said he helped gather the hemp seeds and that the indoor-outdoor farm will be producing strawberries and hemp all year. 

The clothing guild are planing to weave new hemp clothes.  There is a large interest in producing hemp paper. 

==
Summer 251.

The dwarven roaddar failed because it did not account for drunk miners.  Needless to say, an expansive cavern has been discovered leading to a deeper downward passage.  Rough stones are being used to seal the cavern breach, and the digging continues.

Speaking of drunk, this Id built the wall while he is in the cavern side.  Someone got him in, and rebuilt the wall.

==
Hematite 251.

An individual named Goden caused some unrest while claiming a craft workshop with demands for stone, leather and bones.   Despite claiming skunk bones and leather, Goden continues demanding those things over and over.  A butcher decided to slaughter a water buffalo cow and a bunny in hopes to appease Goden.  Goden soon grabbed a new piece of leather and went back to the workshop.

Eventually Goden gathered everything and created "Hollowponders", a skunk bone earring.

==
17th Hematite. 
The mayor Kel has been newly elected. She is a milker by trade.  Mayor Kel prohibits the export of splints. 

==
17th - 21st Hematite. 
The human caravans arrived and broker Asob wanted to trade quickly.

With the trade out of the way, order 30 more mugs to replenish the mugs we traded.

==
Since Captain Archmage went to the entertainment business, those who dreams of pursuing art are made in architect apprentices.

A design dig site for the sand, clay

And forges.

==

10th Malachite, 251.

8 more migrants arrived, should be plenty of time before the next full moon on the 17th.
A dancer, an herbalist, a weaver, a clothier, and much needed papermaker.

==

Galena
Another expansive cavern deep underground have been discovered.
Plans to seal the wall breech require access to the cavern to cut down a tower-cap tree.

This is more complicated.  Let us hope nothing distracts us from this project...

==

12th Galena
The Giantess Nemen has come on the surface.

We have no functional military, so time to recruit.
Anyone with some military discipline, will be put in The Post of Harvesting.

We have some with skills in a weapon, 3 mace, 1 spear and 1 sword. 
For now, you can all be lumped together and order some weapons. 

Safe Space is active.
Muster down at the park.
But that is not how normal military goes.

==

Thikut dreams of making great art someday.  He was an aspiring clothier, but was all of a sudden recruited into The Turquoise Gill.  He has some training with the spear, but only steel battle axes are available. 

When the *CLANG-CLANG* was heard repeatedly, he knew something is wrong. 

Nemen, the giantess is distracted by the buck hare.
Thikut attacks Neman, tearing skin and fat.  He even punches the left foot, twisting the left ankle. 

Nemen charges and collides with Thikut who was knocked over and tumbles backwards. 
Nemen collapses and falls to the ground from over-exertion.

Thikut tooks advantage of this and scratches the left foot.

Nemen has become enraged, so Thikut jumps away from the attack. 

Where is everyone?

Atir, one of the macedwarf who is still in civilian clothes, jump over the wall and attacked punching Nemen bruising the left leg and foot.  Nemen misses her attacks and falls down again from over-exertion.

Seeing another opportunity, Thikut joins the brawl and bites Nemen in the right ear, and then the left toe!

After Nemen breaks free of the bites, her head was getting kicked alternating by Thikut and Atir.

--

Despite missing attack, Nemen felt satisfaction in improving her fighting skill.  Then passes out from exhaustion.

Soon, everyone in the military dog piled on Nemen punching, kicking and hacking the head.

Eventually, the new captain of The Turquise Gill, Captain Id, hacks the head with a steel battle axe, opening an artery. 

--

Everyone went back to their business, but it seems like Thikut is affected the most.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2019, 10:30:06 pm »

Excellent progress! How's CaptainArchmage doing in the entertainment business?

Also glad to see the few battle axes made were useful. Naked creatures like semimegabeasts I think are a bit less... dangerous these days except for the dwarven skulls splitting open problem. Usually a large group of civilians can gank them.

Edit: Sign me up for another term!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:10:48 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2019, 03:17:08 am »

Oh crap, I'm sorry, I forgot I did not finish this yet.  I played some until autumn, then I life happens.  I think I can finish the rest of winter in another sitting.  Autumn notes in google docs, images in hard drive. I will give myself a deadline of Sunday evening to finish my turn.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2019, 01:51:31 am »

Chapter 3: Peace Of City

The digging continues into the late summer where yet yet another cavern is discovered.  The original plan was to dig down to level +0; however, this new discovery requires a much deeper dig site.

On the 25th Galena, a human artist bard named Sinur Lacyclutched petitions to entertain the citizens and visitors in Peacecity.  Mayor Kel approves.

Autumn 251.

Ilral, the miner and hammerer of Peacecity became excited as the stone being dug was very warm.  He struck down to make a channel, which saved his life.  He was expecting the magma will be below, but instead a wall of magma began filling the channel.  Ilral made it out to safety, and grates covered the dig site.

So, how will we get magma near the surface?

9th Limestone.

Thikut, a clothier by trade, is taken by a fey mood and claims a mechanic’s workshop.
He screams, “I must have yarn cloth, rock, gut gems, and tanned hides!”
Thikut seemed to just walk over the trade depot and select choice leathers of giant bluejay and giant cuttlefish.  A hastily built jewelry shop produced an octagon cut blue jades.  And a sheep was sheared for its yarn, and loomed into wool cloth.

By the 28th, Thikut created a kaolinite mechanism.

The outpost liaison also arrived on the 9th of Limestone.  Avuz met Mayor Kel quickly who requested iron bearing ores.

The hauling of trade good was slower due to an intruder.  But the conclusion was trading our stone crafts and mugs for unbinned leather.

==

It's the 17th of Limestone, a  simple..., oh what the crap?!

A hostile sword dwarf was caught sneaking.
Attack the intruder!
Commander Dodok strikes the sworddwarf intruder in the left eye with her copper pick and the injured part is cloven asunder.  The pick has lodged firmly in the wound, and Dodok pulls on the embedded pick to gain possession back. 

This swift act of defense, somehow triggered more conflicts below.

Fights broke out all over with dwarfs vs humans down in the taverns.

In the museum area of The Knowing Desserts tavern.

Atir, the weaponless recruit macedwarf attacked the human maceman Ngekil to no effect.

Lokum, the weaponless recruit marksdwarf charges the human lord consort Eman and manages to scratched some teeth out.

Mestthos, the Head of Forges brawls with Zulur the human maceman at the grand foyer entrance.

The lady consort Atal shoots bronze bolts at a stray dog outside the hall of the tavern.

What to do?  In the background, our bard Sinur continues to chant.

The mayor Kel yells, "Stop this madness!"  The tavern and the temple district is now off limits to outside visitors.  “Get out of here!”

The military orders to kill the intruder Sakzul remains in effect.

Edzul “Double D” is attending a meeting. 

The Sheriff Sanctume is sleeping.

The intruder has been struck down by commander Dodok.

==

On 3rd of Timber, some migrants 10 and 2 children arrived: a legendary glassmaker, a suturer, a pump operator, and another carpenter.

On 9th of Timber, the full moon rises, and Nese the weregilla arrived from the southeast and just hang-out outside the walls despite the gate unlocked. 

A few hours later, a group of badgers pass by and attracted Nese’s attention.

Nese wrestles the badger with a chokehold.  As blood spills over the murky pool, Nese bathes in it for a moment before pursuing more badgers to the southeast.

Nese bites a badger and injects extract, then continues to shake it by the neck crushing the skull. 

As the moon set, Nese transforms into a human and ran off.

Winter has come.

14th Moonstone, the iron pump is finally assembled to complete the magma filling station.

The design is simple. 
First lock the doors. 
Then haul the iron minecarts to a stockpile above. 
Set the "towercap" minecart to dump the iron minecarts down the magma filling pit.
The lowest floor will show 1 minecart.  Above this, the rest of the minecart share the same space. 
After all the irons minecarts are in the pit, remove the iron minecart stock pile.

Next, Pump magma into the filling pit.
The minecarts will be filled with magma.
Stop pumping,
Then pull the lever open the hatch and to drain the magma.

Next, create a new iron minecart stockpile near the surface.
Then unlock the lowest door so the magma-filled minecarts are hauled. 

On the 17th Opal, 251, Sinur our resident bard inherited the position of Lord of The Colorless Society. 

3rd Obsidian, the child Sibrek has been possessed to make a pear wood cup.

Peace city remains safe as the new year came.

Save: Peace City year 252

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7