Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.  (Read 25754 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peacecities - Just a normal, standard fort. Nothing at all wrong with it.
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2019, 02:21:42 pm »

may i have a turn? Wanna try some normal fort)

Noted. You're next.
I'm still next in line, right? (Depending on travel times, etc, in which case I wouldn't mind letting someone else step in if I can't immediately.)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2019, 04:08:44 pm »

may i have a turn? Wanna try some normal fort)

Noted. You're next.
I'm still next in line, right? (Depending on travel times, etc, in which case I wouldn't mind letting someone else step in if I can't immediately.)

Oh geez sorry. I'll fix that.

Update for Felsite below:

Monthly Report: Felsite, 253

Firstly, I noticed we’re still in the month of Checkuary and I was writing the previous dates on anything. I also told CaptainArchmage, who also suffered the same issue. This is now corrected, but is a normal occurrence.

Slate began with the mayor informing me about two matters. Firstly, she doesn’t have a private bathroom. Tough shit, I know. What kind of normal dwarven fortress has like toilets everywhere but the shitty hall?

Second issue is we don’t have a jail and she wants to set up the DBI. Or “Dwarven Bureau of Investigation”. Apparently that’s a kind of thing where an institution like the Fortress Guard goes out over the world and fights crime or recovers artefacts from criminals, but it’s a lot more intellectual, which sounds good. I ask whether there are any starting points of anything we might want to recover. I mean, normal starting points for this curious request.

I set to work planning out this clustertruck of an expansion. The “Guard House” is one thing but that’s just the fortress guard. We need apparently two or three offices for messengers, and there’s got to be one in the fortress at all times. Also we sacked our former messenger if you recall. A “Covfefe Room” was a demand by the mayor, and apparently we can staff it with a tavern keeper. No performer is desired at this moment until we inevitably throw in a piano.

Lastly we want a jail, but it’s got to be productive. We’ll start with this stack of six units. Chain goes in the middle, and there’s a workshop downstairs, and storage space upstairs.

This is how it turned out. I consideried turning one of the offices into another golden bathroom (also a requirement), but then I decided to put it adjacent to the Covfefe Room.

The hospital area has been expanded to ten spaces. In fact I made that a priority over the DBI digs. We’ll probably need twenty beds for good measure. Unfortunately, a separate hospital zone had to be set down. Oh well.

Vabôk the fish dissector is promoted to Messenger. He won’t be working in the DBI though.

Ilral finished her artefact. It is Ginetbëmbul, a gabbro floodgate worth 33600 Dorfbux. It will be used in the new trade depot entrance, though I’m holding off for a while until I can call it “done”.

On the 20th, Asmel sank into a huge depression right among the beehives. It seems she was not doing anything in the library, so I took her off other labours.

Spoiler: The Big Picture (click to show/hide)

Another forgotten beast, named Idor, showed up in the caverns, once not really our problem but if it were able to get in it would be. The thing had brass scales so originally I thought it’s pretty bad if it gets in here.

Eventually, Idor inevitably ran into the OTHER forgotten beast, the feathered leech named Tikis. Combat ensued and Idor was defeated.

Lastly and in minor news, this large statue of Dodók Boatwhipped, our first and actually only militia commander, is being installed in a public place.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 04:21:46 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2019, 02:08:31 am »

We're up to summer now. Not through summer though... this is taking a while.

Fortress Immigration Report: 5th Felsite, 253

So the migration wave came in quickly. I also received a f**k*ng ridiculous request for “dark coloured” clothing, though it’s kind of “normal” (or so I am informed) for this kind of work. We’d have to establish a fortress in the depths of evil lands to get our hands on that stuff… the sliver barbs. I mean I don’t know if that’s normal to go out and get and ship it back. Either way I ordered the *leather alternative* once that request came in.
   Housing shortfall is predicted at… 13, and I’ve reduced that further by installing more beds and taking care of the units freed by the move of workshops to common spaces. This was kind of to be expected. I get marriage can reduce that figure by half but *realistically* we need about 20-30 more housing units for the near term future I think.

Not sure what the hell these units were for, but I guess we could put families in them. I manage to almost completely alleviate the issue then.

Fortress Journal: End of Spring Report

Spring is over, finally. I was expecting this to go down a bit… more quickly, but it didn’t. We’ve now had our first migration wave of the year, about 23 adult dwarves and 2 children.

Here’s the economic status of the fortress. Thankfully, my predecessor left a copy of the end of year economic report because I wasn’t paying any fucking attention. Actually I forgot to take note of the number of dwarves at the start of the year (106) so it’s a good thing I could look back eh? Pretty normal. Seasonal GDP is 241,084 Dorfbux. Unfortunately, drink supplies have been critically depleted, and we’ll need to start the massive process of brewing shit immediately. Just as normal. We’ll also start cooking more items.

I decided to look through our military squads to see whether any dwarves were assigned who’d be better elsewhere. What the fuck bruv. The notion that our one legendary mechanic should be position #4 in The Turqoise Gills is… disturbing to say the least. I take Thîkut off his position as axedwarf. He’s had his fair share of combat experience and I replaced him with Sarvesh Lancerlantern.

The second big ass no-nos were the Head of Forges and Limuk Paintedborn the Legendary stone crafter, both of whom were inexplicably in The Posts of Harvesting. I’m not fixing that yet. As Limul Paintedborn is very skilled.

I put Sodel Sackdimple in Sanctume’s former position. He’s very weak, but indefatigable and endurance is quite an advantage. He’s a cook, too, so the army will have something to march on. Lastly, he’s the eldest brother of Lokum Lashdrill in the Posts of Harvesting, so he’ll have company.
   I discover Äs Ropechained, one of the founding dwarves, isn’t just a legendary mason but also an accomplished potter. Some priorities are rewritten and I build some standard kilns and glass furnaces to handle the mundane collection tasks. This is totally normal but unfortunately inconvenient.

Somewhere around the middle of the month, a buzzard flew into the training area and was promptly curbstomped. This is perfectly normal.

On the 16th, Asmel flew into another tantrum and punches the mayor. I locked her into the city hall until she calmed down. She then sank back into a depression. I suspect there’s a backlog of “crime” that’s been unreported or underreported. Fortunately, Kel (who incidentally just ordered two splints) only had bruising from the fight. This isn’t normal (injuries from fistfights can be quite severe), so we had a lucky escape here. Disturbingly, an axe was later found on the floor of the mayor’s office.

The first “gulag” unit was dug out. What you see here is the (gold-floored) “living level” which will have gold, or even platinum chains in order to lift the spirits of those working in here. I am considering other options though. Apparently one of them is to build a kind of “golden shower” of sorts, so the building has a grate through which water falls and generates mist. Just like normal.

This is just for an ordinary average every day shitter like the normal ones you find in a trashy by the road normal inn.

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to finish the new, brick-floored trade depot on time. I’ll try to clear up the floodgates and create an open zone but unless the new depot is done before the humans come here (with wagons) they’re stuck with the old depot. This is how the new depot area looks at the moment, along with the new gatehouse system. Gates A, B, and D are controlled from inside The Knowing Desserts. The other gates and the unmarked traffic barrier will be controlled from inside the surface gatehouse. Complex systems like this are perfectly normal.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 02:12:06 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2019, 10:12:23 pm »

The sun sets on Malachite, and it is now late summer! Also in which the DBI gets its first case.

Fortress Journal: Malachite, 253

The humans from Oquilgil, The Solitary Unions, arrived on the 11th of Hematite. Normally I would expect a kind of representative of sorts to come but they did not.
   On the approach one of the stupid ass crossbowmen trips down a slope and bonks their head. Fortunately they are wearing protection.
   Trading is complex business. I sell off the remaining organic pre-ripped clothing items, along with a lot of recycled crap like mussel shell finished goods that sell as a premium. I also sell off some of the prepared meals we have. As before, I purchase human instruments so we can support their musical needs in the fortress, along with all their books for example on medical probing. I also buy out all their wood, various barrels, and a large amount of leather. This time I kept poor tally of sales, but we’ll see on the export list.

As the full moon is upon us, the fortress is locked down as is normal. Dishmab then throws a tantrum while pondering social welfare. Fed up with dwarves at risk of mental breakdown going on excursions, I forbid both Dishmab and Asmel from doing even any hauling or throwing out the trash or handling a mop.

At this point, I have one of the first truly WTF moments. So, Äs was been hard at work at the kiln earlier this month to finish various tasks, until he set back to his mason’s shop to make a matching set of schist coffers and cabinets and a pile of other furniture for the DBI covfefe room. He left this statue, a masterwork earthenware one, in the kiln and I set about having it installed somewhere. I then did a double take. It seems t feature the “killing of the dwarf Dîshmab Fencedpet by a flying object in Peacecity in the late spring of 251”.

I remember seeing a Dîshmab Fencedpet still around, sure enough, she is. She experienced trauma but didn’t die. Or did she? Her prior residences were Skinwall, and before that Cobaltmachine. I assign the job over to the DBI and order the statue installed in the Covfefe Room so they can investigate it. I quickly get back the following report.

Case File Entry 001, 19th Hematite, 253
Director of Dwarven Bureau of Investigation

The Mayor and Zro Fuchs have assigned me a first case that looks, fucking ridiculous. I’m guessing the full moon just makes people go fucking crazy anyways. I was expecting this job to be about “guy starts fistfight and makes off with artefact, we have to trace them down to some hillocks in the asscrack of nowhere”. Instead… we have a dead dwarf who isn’t dead.

Our Mason and Potter, Äs, recently baked a masterwork clay statue that appears to depict Dîshmab Fencedpet being killed by a flying object in late spring of 251, while according to her, she only suffered trauma in that year (without a season being specified). Only. Which beats being dead. I looked at Sanctume’s fortress logs, there was one major incident where dust was kicked up and several dwarves were impacted including CaptainArchmage, but his response was “it was the dust, man” and just that. I have ordered the exhibit in the Covfefe room for further perusing, along with two pedestals so minor exhibits connected to our cases can be examined at our leisure.
   The only other possibility is that there was another dwarf named Dîshmab Fencedpet in the fortress, but I see no such record and in fact there’s no indication of any other Dîshmab Fencedpet in citizen records through history. To investigate further, I’ve decided to commission a series of shell figurines from one of our legendary bone carvers regarding Dîshmab, hopefully undercover. This will give us a better chance of revealing her history.

Attached Requisition Request: Masterwork Triplex Aquarium in Covfefe Room, western side of room. Actual furnishings in Covfefe Room. Actually put in some doors please.

I took some time to verify that these were, indeed, “normal” requests for office supplies. Apparently it’s normal for a swanky office, which is normal for such an institution to have. Thanks to the increase in bag supplies, I managed to get three masterwork green glass terrariums blown and ordered for installation in the “Covfefe Room”. We got two masterwork gabbro anti-magma doors on the outside and a masterwork schist door for the “bathroom”, which should probably deserve its own kind of image designated on it.

At the end of the month, a massive buzzard attack happened and, the merchants packed up and left. A quick survey indicated the buzzards actually destroyed one of the wagons or caused the animals to panic and the subsequent early exit from the depot.

Plans for the gatehouse got a bit screwed up this season as an Apple and then a persimmon tree finally grew through the south gatehouse. I am uncertain of whether to cut down the trees, or build a kind of combination tower and greenhouse with its own cider supply. Nonetheless I am proud to say that the new depot will be all ready to go for the autumn caravan.

OOC: Not sure what happened with Dîshmab Fencedpet, but I have not seen this bug before. Possibly DF Hack related? I am not using that.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 10:17:38 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2019, 02:39:35 am »

I suspect the Sheriff did a cover up.  Rumor has it, the reporter Double D was sent to a wild goose chase after the stolen hemp stash.  After he came back, there was an unreported functioning garbage disposal between the butcher shops.  :-X

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm back. Sorry for the delays due to real life stuff - I'll try to get this finished soon enough (by the weekend). Here's the update from Malachite

Fortress Journal: 2nd Galena, 253

Attached Requisition Request: An actual office. Include personal aquarium.

Malachite started out with a request from the Director of the DBI, to get his office fixed. I proceed to give the orders… we only get two masterworks out of the glass furnace. The rest I guess will go on to be sold. We fail to complete the job and he’s kind of pissy. I tell him the desk is fine as a standing desk, but he doesn’t get that kind of “hippie crap”. I tell him there’s like five articles published back in the mountain homes about the importance of ergonomics and DBI work is “evidence-based”. Fine, he says. He’ll wait for the chair.

We did get a masterwork green glass statue of dwarves showing the foundation of peacecities though. Cool. I have it installed at the entrance to the bank.

As work continues on the smoothing of the public road, I find a large slick of vomit on the side of the planet. I mean, road. WTF.

Like clockwork, Asmel throws a tantrum while pondering foraging behaviour, and starts a fistfight with Sarvesh Razorclutched the scholar. Asmel finally switches to doing “research!”, before chasing down Atîs the chief medical dwarf, punching him in the guts and causing him to lose his last meal. Atîs flees down to the DBI’s holding cells and spends the next few hours vomiting in the staircase while experiencing mortal fear. We’ll need an intervention soon.
   After finding some food rotting in the kitchens, I decided to take the troops off training duty to haul items. We finally managed to resolve the issue, but not before a failed hunt left a horse crippled in the west. What da fuck, mate.

The month comes to a close with the clothier Moldath Roaddimpled getting possessed while hauling a double load of coke. Moldath claims a clothier’s shop and hulks out three sheets of hemp cloth of different colours (two red and one blue).

Finally, some more migrants show up. I scan the horizon until I see the new guy. This time I take the register, not some DBI temp.

*Proceeds to Drink Vodka While Re-assigning Labour on 147 dwarves*

I went through the the job assignments list, finding too many dwarves were assigned to ridiculous tasks for their skillset, like Architectural work. I found Stodir Toolprisons was the ideal dwarf.
I suspect the Sheriff did a cover up.  Rumor has it, the reporter Double D was sent to a wild goose chase after the stolen hemp stash.  After he came back, there was an unreported functioning garbage disposal between the butcher shops.  :-X
After a hard few days’ work I go to the DBI headquarters to assign some new furniture to the Covfefe Room and find a message from a… “Double D”. Double D is the alias of a reporter conveniently not noted in connection to any citizen or resident, but apparently he claims that he went on some wild goose chase to find a stolen hemp stash. He then found an unreported functioning garbage disposal between the butcher shops. I also had a nasty letter from the "residents association" of Peacecity about this issue so I check the place out.

Yeesh, they’re right though the use of this area has changed. However, the garbage disposal is far from functional or at least nobody’s been bothered to use it. It also doesn’t have a lid.

It has a shockingly large quantity of trash and the completeness decay has honestly removed all the crap. Well most of it anyway. No dwarven skeletons are reported, though. Possibly someone crushed them.
   I look over the reports again, and, maybe something happened with Dîshmab or an alias working under her name. No dice though. Funnily enough, she’s in the same location gathering plants as she was last time when the issue came up… I’ll keep an eye on her.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:14:28 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's the update up to the start of Autumn. I get there's a new version out, for now I'm keeping the version at 0.44.12. I'd suggest we start over, once the new release is proven to be "stable", as new elements won't end up in the game and there might be major issues (classic one is save game corruption).

End of Summer Report: 1st Timber 253

While I took a massive and well-deserved break in Galena, which is totally normal for these dwarven forts, several things piqued my interest. Firstly, we had some hunting expeditions, mostly new guys. I don’t like hunting. It’s not so much that I’m some kind of eco-warrior elf, but it gets dwarves places where they’re at risk and wastes ammunition that could be putting goblins in their place. I let this one slide but I put in place an absolute ban on hunting on my watch. This prevented a fortress lockdown for the full moon, thank the gods nothing happened.
   Next time, if we have horses, we capture and tame them. Like normal dwarves.

As usual, I have the names of the hunters, and have decided to re-assign them to the DBI’s external investigative squad, The Gloved Apes. They are Zulban Workeddyes, Mestthos Prophetorbs, Rovod Wavegilt, and Mafol Tongsprings - two couples. I gave command of the first DBI “investigative team” to Zulban due to her ambusher skill being the highest, and then created a chain of command based on skills. Standard crossbowdwarf kit will be used for now.
   Fed up with unlabelled doors, I set up an “Unfinished Goods” stockpile for doors and other items without symbols on them. You know, like…

The Polished Key. This one goes on rooms where gates are controlled.

And then there’s this, which we commissioned at risk of being considered “culturally insensitive”. No expense was spared.

The mayor officially gave birth on the 10th, to a boy, Lorbam Bittengear, who immediately decided to be both a casual worshipper, and a worshipper of Istrath the Wealth of Jade. He’s already clocking in the pounds and sporting a full on beard and moustache. He apparently already dreams of mastering a skill. Maybe in 12 years, buddy. I commissioned a new green glass statue to mark the occasion, and installed it in the exact place of his birth. When I get olivine again, I will commission a statue for him too. Just as is normal.

Demolition of the old trade depot was also finished. A lot of mess was left on the surface as usual, and it still hasn’t been cleared up.

Moldath finished his artefact… a spiky hemp left mitten named Lurchedarches the Brazen Holes, and with an image on it in hemp which is self-referencing. It even has a round schist cabochon on it. Ass-tastic. It’s been claimed as a family heirloom, too.

The mayor called for some remodelling of the city hall. Here, an office is being carved out for her messenger. On the other side is a public bathroom, which as usual, must be done to the highest standards. There’s a schist door with that bathroom’s name on it.

We began expansion of the library too. Not sure what we’ll fit in here.

This is one of the masterworks created in Galena. Nothing to see here. "Touchbar" is a normal name for a tiger.
   This is where the economy and population stands at the start of Autumn.

Attached request form, Director of the DBI:

For the purpose of fortress security, an upmarket lead-lined entrance should be installed. I assure you this is a normal request for a proper dwarven fortress.

Ironically, we didn’t have much lead, as it had been used for animal traps. I began smelting galena to get the stuff instead. Here’s the view of the surface of the fortress.

The economy, also, continues to grow as is normal. Quarterly growth was 17 citizens and residents. Quarterly GFP was 244,622 Dorfmarks. Quarterly exports were 13,849 Dorfmarks and quarterly imports were 21,385 Dorfmarks. We’ve completely reversed the drinks situation and stocks continue to grow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:37:19 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]