Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many dwarves should I leave in a holding?  (Read 2338 times)

IainPeregrine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How many dwarves should I leave in a holding?
« on: October 30, 2019, 05:49:13 pm »

I'm having trouble keeping my main fort stocked with trained military, because they're all defending my holdings. So I've got a couple questions about how holdings work. For all these questions, assume the holding is a conquered goblin settlement.

1) When I conquer a site, am I killing all the goblin and establishing a new dwarven outpost (what I thought), or are my dwarves now fuedal lords over a population of goblin?

2) I've had my holdings for about 4 years now, and they haven't been attacked by the ~10000 pop goblin fortress next door. Do they ever get attacked?

3) Are insurrections a thing? How many dwarves should I keep on hand to deal with them?

4) Will my conquered holdings attract migrants, or do I have to populate them manually?

5) Is it advisable to call back all (or all but one) of my military dwarves?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: How many dwarves should I leave in a holding?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 05:59:44 pm »

3) inserructions are a thing that are specifically disabled in sites you conquer (because they otherwise would happen all the time).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many dwarves should I leave in a holding?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:54:43 am »

5: Until your fortress crashes due to the raid equipment corruption bug (will get the fortress sooner or later), I'd recommend recalling everyone you can. In the lucky cases it was two militia members, usually 1, and sometimes none for me.

1/4. Check legends mode info. I think you become masters over a local population, and that said population tends to move away over time, replaced by dorfs moving in.

2. Haven't heard of holdings being attacked, but that's no guarantee.