Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My experience with multiple libraries  (Read 1344 times)

calbum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My experience with multiple libraries
« on: April 05, 2022, 11:50:42 am »

TLDR: In 0.47.05 books can be hauled between two libraries intentionally after "read" job is done. Setting up one library without bookcases make all books being passively hauled by dwarfs to another one with bookcases.

Since 0.47.05 i found that occasional hidden werebeast visitor can devastate the whole fortress just by transforming in public tavern or library. So i decided to establish two libraries: one public (using burrows it becomes "visitors-only") and one for citizens-only, but book-storaging behavior in cases of multiple libraries are poor documented nd i tried to evaluate this by myself. I found out that books not properly distribute, but the "store item in location" job is activated after the book is read then assigned dwarf haul it to nearby bookshelf.

I tried to set up library for visitors with tables, seats and writing materials but shelfs, set burrows so civilians can't reach, and then set my full-eqipped library inside only for citizens. And that works exactly how i want: visitors come to visitor-libriary, ponder, do research and write books, which states at this library until special assigned scribe copied it and hauled one of the copies to the main library.