Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42

Author Topic: *We need your help to save the noobs!*  (Read 98321 times)

Adenis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: *We need your help to save the noobs!*
« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2020, 06:56:40 am »

I made some videotutorials for the newbies in spanish but i dont think is the best way to get into the game, maybe a starter scenario with a little tutorial can be fine for them.

Here are the tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvyZHgSrHts&list=PLyCKaeeSNsB61ncxQzxSTfG0Ven3MWMgk

Maybe if i have time when the steam version arribe i can redo them with that version.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:58:57 am by Adenis »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2020, 05:48:46 am »

Hey there. I played the 2D version, which was an approachable easy-to-play game. Then I spent quite a lot of time in the 40d days, when things were a bit more complex but also more fun, and I grew to love Dwarf Fortress. However, the last time I played DF properly was in 2012. I still follow the game religiously but I find myself unable to play it. After games like Rimworld or Oxygen Not Included, I just can't bring myself to endure Dwarf Fortress. It has become such a hassle to play. I do love the idea of Dwarf Fortress but I'm mostly just waiting for it to become playable.

In general, I think the game needs automation, streamlining and useful defaults. So much of the development has been adding complexity. Not only adding the ability to micromanage but also the need to do so. What it needs now is to reevaluate each feature and automate it so that it works by default, and micromanagement is just an optional choice for advanced players.

Specific examples of things that are noob unfriendly:

- ALARM! When the fortress is in danger, I want to have a single button I can press and everyone retreats to safety (with no need to set up burrows, alerts or anything). I don't care how exactly it works, there are many options. Imagine, for example, that after clicking ALARM, dwarves would automatically retreat to meeting halls. Even noobs have those, and for them the effect would be that the game just magically works. Burrows and alerts should be completely optional for those who want more granularity.

- MILITARY. This is such a huge deal. I want to click a dwarf, draft it to military, and be done with it. Anything more is just a hassle. This is how it used to work in the 2D days and it was glorious. Basically, things like uniforms, squad rosters, training schedules etc. should use automation and useful defaults in such a way that I should never have to open the dreadful military UI at all. I draft dwarves to be soldiers and it just works - everything is automated. The military UI should be completely optional for people who want to micromanage.

- STRESS has been mentioned many times, and is another example of this. The game should just work by default - stressed dwarves should be able to relieve their stress by themselves with no action on the player's part. This would result in them spending a lot of time off-duty, so the role of the player is to optimize the system (to get more work out of the dwarves), not to make the system work at all.

- JOB ASSIGNMENT, perhaps the worst culprit. It's overcomplicated to the point of being unusable. External tools are considered a must just to be able to play the game. No amount of UI wizardry will fix this - the system is just too complicated. You can't reasonably expect players to manually assign dozens of specific labours (a lot of them obscure and useless) to dozens of dwarves. This needs to be streamlined massively, to the point where players are assigning only the broad categories (All farming, all metalsmithing, all clothes making, all doctoring...), not specific labours. This goes hand in hand with redesigning the categories because right now you have to go deeper in the menus and use labour-lever granularity because just using the top-level categories isn't useful. Some categories are too broad (farming), other tasks that should logically be together are spread amongst different categories (clothes-related stuff). Better yet: Just let the game automate labour assignment completely (DFhack already does this and it's lovely), with no input on the player's part. And give powerplayers the optional ability to overwrite automation.

- DIFFERENT MODES OF SELECTING AND BUILDING. There needs to be just one of each, period. The different modes of building cause endless amount of frustration. Just have everything work the same way as hospitals and be done with it.

Etc. etc. The desired state is to have a game where the basics just work so that the player can then focus on improvement and optimization. Right now, the role of the player in DF is to struggle with the game just to make it work at all, which is just too frustrating. There has been a lot of talk about the UI* but talking about UI may obfuscate the fact that the game mechanisms themselves are set up in an overly complex fashion, and can't be saved by an UI designer. They need to be fixed at the programming/design level. For example - no UI designer can fix the different modes of selecting and building stuff.

I think what's most needed now is just take one year off, not adding any new features and just focusing on streamlining the game and doing quality-of-life improvements. Take each feature and think: „Can this be streamlined or automated? Can I set some useful defaults that will just work?“. Rethink and reorganize the menus. The game is more than a decade old now, it deserves a massive polishing pass. Do that every ten years, that sounds about right, no? The news about the Steam version and the associated plans to make it more fun to play made me excited about DF again. I know that for you, Toady and ThreeToe, this is a huge change in the way you approach the game and that you may not feel completely comfortable in your new role of game polishers. But I think that it's a great decision, and thank you for it! This sounds like the start of a new, more exciting era of Dwarf Fortress.

--

* Ages ago I made some suggestions for interface overhaul. Most of them still seem relevant. There's even a non-graphics version, and a revamp of the military UI.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:10:12 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

HerbalistRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2020, 12:43:21 am »

World Generation and modding is my biggest issue. I try to have a world with history, lots of artifacts, towers, bad guys, many ores, different civs and an embark that has most of that. I get exhausted by the time i'm done configuring how I want the world and end up not playing at all. Maybe have more detailed options for premade worlds than size and land shape.
Then there is embark dwarves. A reroll or dwarf customization would change everything. Save me 1-5 hours of rerolling or giving up. I know the arguments against it but that would make the game so much better. I've never had close to ideal starting party of traits and personalities.
I don't have a great memory or attention spam. I spend hours trying to mod out one shot kill enemies in mods like basilisks that turn my dwarves to stone. Noob friendly modding interfaces would be wonderful.
So I guess what I am wanting to alleviate stress and fatigue is noob friendly UI for controlling world and dwarf generation to save time.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2020, 06:09:41 am »

World Generation and modding is my biggest issue. I try to have a world with history, lots of artifacts, towers, bad guys, many ores, different civs and an embark that has most of that. I get exhausted by the time i'm done configuring how I want the world and end up not playing at all. Maybe have more detailed options for premade worlds than size and land shape.
Then there is embark dwarves. A reroll or dwarf customization would change everything. Save me 1-5 hours of rerolling or giving up. I know the arguments against it but that would make the game so much better. I've never had close to ideal starting party of traits and personalities.
I don't have a great memory or attention spam. I spend hours trying to mod out one shot kill enemies in mods like basilisks that turn my dwarves to stone. Noob friendly modding interfaces would be wonderful.
So I guess what I am wanting to alleviate stress and fatigue is noob friendly UI for controlling world and dwarf generation to save time.
Newbies don't do advanced world gen, so the suggestions would be for middling to advanced players, and it can be noted that those ought to have at least some knowledge that there are various 3:rd party tools for some of these tasks. Modding is definitely not a newbie issue.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2020, 07:06:16 am »

And there's already a fixed world editor (in some kind of form) coming as part of one of the Mythgen releases. That will get you everything you want probably. Not a priority for keeping noobs playing for more than a couple of hours.
Newbies don't do advanced world gen, so the suggestions would be for middling to advanced players, and it can be noted that those ought to have at least some knowledge that there are various 3:rd party tools for some of these tasks. Modding is definitely not a newbie issue.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2020, 05:18:59 pm »

I personally think the Steam page for the game should make it clear somewhere in the description that DF Classic is a thing and encourage new players to try out the free version first to see if they like it, and then buy the commercial version later if they do. There's a chance IMO that noobs might be a bit more forgiving towards the game if they're informed upfront that the version they're looking at is merely an optional payment for a few extra features. At the very least they're less likely to feel ripped off.

Building on that, how about uploading Classic to Steam as a "demo" for the commercial version so people can easily check it out? It would be the exact same version you could DL for free from bay12 site, except for stuff exclusive to Steam version such as built-in tileset, etc.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2020, 09:48:55 pm »

I personally think the Steam page for the game should make it clear somewhere in the description that DF Classic is a thing and encourage new players to try out the free version first to see if they like it, and then buy the commercial version later if they do. There's a chance IMO that noobs might be a bit more forgiving towards the game if they're informed upfront that the version they're looking at is merely an optional payment for a few extra features. At the very least they're less likely to feel ripped off.

Building on that, how about uploading Classic to Steam as a "demo" for the commercial version so people can easily check it out? It would be the exact same version you could DL for free from bay12 site, except for stuff exclusive to Steam version such as built-in tileset, etc.
I imagine Steam has rules against that.

Others following the same model include a link at the bottom of the description to the free version. That's probably about the limit they allow.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:02:35 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2020, 06:29:25 pm »

Ascii version with conterintuitive and buggy interface as a demo of the game you want to sell on Steam? Great idea

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2020, 09:53:40 pm »

Ascii version with conterintuitive and buggy interface as a demo of the game you want to sell on Steam? Great idea
The interface isn't a premium option. Or the bug fixing.

Paying for the game gets you Meph & Mayday's tileset, new music tracks and access to achievements and workshop if you happen to buy the Steam version instead of the itch.io version.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:56:40 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2020, 06:12:48 am »

Paying for the game gets you Meph & Mayday's tileset, new music tracks and access to achievements and workshop if you happen to buy the Steam version instead of the itch.io version.

It is not but it will be available once Steam release is done(for both versions). But the current version is not suitable as demo and most probably discourage people from even considering to buy Steam version. Just because "it's so bad now, don't think it will be much better once released"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2020, 06:30:49 am »

It is not but it will be available once Steam release is done(for both versions). But the current version is not suitable as demo and most probably discourage people from even considering to buy Steam version. Just because "it's so bad now, don't think it will be much better once released"
The suggestion was to have a link to the free version as a demo from the page selling the Steam version. Which is obviously once the Steam page is selling the Steam version. So, not now.

But, again, probably against some Steam rule or other. A link to Bay12Games should be OK though. Other games do that.

(But, generally, I don't disagree that it won't help much. If free Dwarf Fortress now is "too hard" to "install" for these mythical helpless "noobs", that won't change after the premium release).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:37:18 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2020, 12:12:49 pm »

its twofold:
some might actually follow the link to current versions and read that the final steam release will have a number of improvements.
others will follow the link to current versions without reading that and be ranting about a "shitty game".
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2020, 05:39:52 pm »

its twofold:
some might actually follow the link to current versions and read that the final steam release will have a number of improvements.
others will follow the link to current versions without reading that and be ranting about a "shitty game".
Steam release and classic will be the exact same version. If anyone rants at it for being a "shitty game" (unless they mean their non-premium tileset/default curses set) they'll hate the Steam version too.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2020, 06:17:38 pm »

I personally heard from multiple people that they would definitely play DF if only it has better graphics like in Rimworld and more intuitive and friendly interface.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2020, 12:07:54 am »

I personally heard from multiple people that they would definitely play DF if only it has better graphics like in Rimworld and more intuitive and friendly interface.
I mean as far as I understand it the steam release will not have Rimworld style graphics, though. In Rimworld people/animals actually move around as "continuously" as in any other game. Even with the fancy new tileset, I imagine dwarves will still be "teleporting" from tile to tile, not animating smoothly from one to the other.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 42