Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42

Author Topic: *We need your help to save the noobs!*  (Read 98518 times)

janxious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • buy me a coffee
Re: *We need your help to save the noobs!*
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2019, 12:11:07 am »

3) Improve consistency
The game is very inconsistent with the way buildings or areas are made. …

You forgot burrows, which actually work the way I want drawing all zones to work, but use an append/remove system of drawing separate from everything else in the (fort) game.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:13:23 am by janxious »
so many orthoclase blocks

ozyma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2019, 12:33:37 am »

There were a lot of things as a beginner that caused me grief
Funny enough the very first time I tried the game I gave up because I kept trying to use the w: Burrow to make the dwarfs "burrow" into the ground. I got frustrated and had no idea it was under the (d)esignate ->(d)ig, lol. I then took a look at some yt tutorials a few weeks later and figured it out.

Honestly I think the one thing that really screwed me up was trying to get my dwarfs to spar. When I first started out it always felt like I could just never get them to go at it properly I would just have a bunch of dwarfs in a squad and they're all doing individual combat drills. I think a good way to make this more noob friendly would be to reduce the rate of skill gain for sparring and then have two equally skilled units have a high rate of sparring while a skill differential will lean more towards demonstrations and only resorting to individual combat drills when nobody else is around.

Oddly, I really don't remember a were creature ever being an issue for me. I know I died to it a couple times but it never upset me or made me want to quit the game. For a new player it might be just an automatic loss but it's one that should be preventable by even a new player as long as they have foreknowledge. The next fort they make they will probably design around the issue and a change in the sparring mechanics would probably go a long way towards helping out that initial barrier.

I have to say I hope any more changes to the game are more along the lines of making things more clear or less gamey and not just removing challenges which might alienate veterans. Could there possibly just be sort of tailored sandbox "newb mode" which skips world creation, site selection, and eliminates or reduces some of the more difficult features of the game. It would really help newer players not have to deal with stuff like aquifers and the dreaded no iron ore embarks. Losing generally feels a lot less worse if you haven't invested all the effort into selecting your site, preparing your equipment, and giving your dwarfs skills. I remember quitting DF a few times as a newbie just because I didn't want to go through all that again to just die to some mechanic I didn't understand.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2019, 01:48:37 am »

I'm not a noob but I think there are a few things I would improve:

There is very little warning about lack of proper clothing. Maybe add something similar to "hungry", "thirsty" and "drowsy"?

Please make an option for a tattered clothes stockpile. And make sure that dwarves who discard old clothes also relinquish ownership.

Destroying a masterwork XXpig tail sockXX with magma or a bridge should not cause a masterwork lost bad thought. Yes, you can sell it to the elves, but it's unintuitive and needs a lot of micro.

Make metal bins less heavy. They're so very inferior to wooden bins, and it isn't easy to see for new players. Similar with wheelbarrows, because dwarves will actually carry a wheelbarrow that is misplaced instead of, like, driving it.

Workshops that use stones could have a wheelbarrow attached to them. Right now the efficient way to play is to make a small stone stockpile with a wheelbarrow directly next to each workshop that uses stone, and link the workshop to the stockpile. Otherwise Urist legendary mason will waste a month carrying a stone through the fortress. No new player can get that right.

If you want to make defense easier for new players, give us some kind of Evacuate civilians to the bunker mechanics. Right now dwarves will try to haul a goblin corpse away while the battle is still in progress. You can keep them inside with the civilian alert but burrows are tied to jobs. In particular there's no way to force children into a certain room.

ArrowThunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2019, 03:18:37 am »

As I mentioned in the other thread, it could be definitely wise to implement an easy/learner/peaceful mode. Control over when the werebeasts show up would be great too.

Lag is really game-ending, but the biggest counter to that is being less ambitious. I'd lower the default playing area's size and give lag warnings in areas with waterfalls. I know that lowering the size runs the risk of missing on candy and the circus, but there's gotta be a way to fix that or something.

Adventure mode is very tricky because most games, even open-world ones, curate their environments with pacing in mind. It's hard to do that in DF Adventure mode. I think Adventurers need more starting tips ("try finding some gear") and perhaps a way to gauge the ferocity of things based on their rumors etc. This is especially true if the settlement is under attack, because usually a starting adventurer is not well-equipped to fight off the attack!

Adventurer mode needs their controls to be visible to the player. DF mode has a menu with the keys listed on them, adventure mode does not, that's a huge turn-off for noobs.

The other thing Adventure mode could use to be more noob-friendly is training. Skill training would be nice to do on the fast travel screen, possibly with bonuses based on companions and/or people to teach you. It should probably have diminishing returns, and it definitely doesn't need to be very fast or effective. Getting someone to spar with you right now is waaaay too effective and is never consensual, so having ways to not cheese the game would be great.

The thing that would help adventure mode's ambiguous difficulty is property ownership, particularly for food, along with mundane tasks that provide reliable money. I know it may sound weird, but having food be something the player can't just raid someone's pantry puts the player in a survivalist mindset. Survival games are quite plentiful, and they naturally make combat something to be feared. Hunting animals becomes a natural first step for a budding adventurer, which is a great way to improve your character's skills without too much risk.

slade991

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2019, 03:43:01 am »

Hello as a newb here is what frustrated me, still frustrate me in no particular order:

- k,v,t,q should be merged into one single menu, it makes no sense to have 4 different menu to look at a tile. One menu which adapt to what tile that is would make more sense.
- I disagree that werebeast are an issue, but i also think that dwarf pop cap for siege / werebeast etc are not the best result. What about in game time, wealth, that sort of thing?
- Having to open the wiki is a noob killer, in a way that you need to be really willing to play the game to check the wiki all the time.
- Onto the wiki things, it's super great that there is so many different type of metal, ore, stone. But having to google each and every one to know what you can get from it is a pain, especially when you're not a rock nerd and you forgot which one is that. A simple in game help saying "you can smelt that for iron, zinc, silver etc..." would be super great.
- It's not always super clear what job are necessary for which workshop, sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.
- Some job seems really useless and should be grouped somehow to reduce the amount of different job. Looking at you woodcutter, furnace operator, wood burner etc...
- Refuse corpse and corpse stockpile? As of today i'm still not sure at all what the distinction is. I never seem to be able to have my corpse correctly stored somewhere, so i gave up and just dump them.
- You should be able to see when something will rot, having some kind of a timer or something "will stay fresh until 12 granite"
- labor management needs massive redesign, you cannot expect noobs to use dwarf therapist.
- sound / music as well, you cannot expect noob to use soundsense.
- Overall the game should be improved in a way that noob do not need to rely on external program. Except maybe df hack as it is already pretty much in game.
- As a rule of thumb, i think having to alt-tab constantly is very bad for someone looking to have fun with a new game. It's great when you are invested and trying to do your best but not when you are just starting.
- Designation and Activity zone are confusing at first. I believe those can very well be merge.
- Default stockpile should be an everything stockpile.
- Wheelbarrow mechanics are unclear, i had no idea people would not haul manually if wheelbarrow are enable.
- Marksdwarf are broken as of now. Won't reload if ammo in bin, randomly train not train, melee attack etc...
- Long standing bugs as mention before, that should be fixed asap. You don't want to have to google around to figure something is a bug and what the workaround is.
- We should clearly be able to identify threatening wildlife without looking through the wiki. Same as the ore here, but when opening the cave, i had to manually look each other creature to see if they were threatening for my dwarfs. What about a color code ? hostile, neutral, friendly etc...
- As of today i still have no idea what the color codes in the unit list stand for, beside that blinking seems to be for legendary skill.
- as someone else pointed out, please yes, cooking save seeds!!
- the clothing industry is super confusing, somehow i never have any cloth even though i thing i have enough pig tail. Some stuff are to be done in farmer workshop, some in loom etc..
- There should be a way to make cloth with whatever is available, instead of 3 different menu for silk/yarn/cloth.
- Well system and the water dynamics in general is complicated to go around. Figuring you need to have the water going diagonal to loose pressure etc..  I'm still somewhat never completely sure if whatever waterwork i'm doing will flood my base or not.
- Hospital is super confusing. Is a stockpile needed? Not super clear that the container will actually hold what is needed. And the limit are not respected as well. My first hospital had stockpile and 3 container and ended up taking all the thread and cloth supply of my entire fortress because it ignored the limit set in place. Even with one container and no stockpile there is still more that it is supposed to have.
- A good way to see legend in game, and learn about the world without having to retire, export legend etc.. would do wonder to have the noobs be involved into the world they created.
- An artifact stockpile!
- Overall the stockpile should be reorganised, craft could have a craft stockpile instead of the mix and match of everything in the goods stockpile.
- As said before, collect web shouldn't be on by default.
- As said before as well, lost my first fortress because i had no idea goblins could climb walls and because my marksdwarf were rushing to them. It made it all a very confusing experience.
- Cancellation spam on burrow. That's a big thing i think. You set a burrow and you are overwhelmed with cancellation spammed which are never ending until you stop the burrow.
- Lack of coherence in keys. Sometimes you move between submenu with -+ sometimes not. Sometimes you need uhjkm to build something, sometimes you can use box selection etc...
- Allow to append to stockpile / zone
- Allow to delete current stockpile like you can do with zone xX (i think?)
- You should be able to toggle aquifer at worldgen. I fortunately did some research prior to playing and disabled it in the newb pack, but i cannot imagine the reaction of a new player discovering an aquifer.
- Make an option at embark to let the player choose permadeath or not! I get that permadeath is cool and part of the !FUN! but it might be a deal breaker for a first fortress. And as a noob you might want to reload and see how you can work around what caused your fortress to collapse without having to start every from scratch all over again.

But i think overall the root of the problem is with the way the game is released. It's fine to wait months, or a year for a massive update of new content. But there should be weekly patches to fix broken stuff. It's super frustrating to think/hope that maybe this particular bug will be fixed in the xx month away next release which will add massive content and probably a lot of massive bug as well. I love to read the dev log and imagining how the villain release will add so much cool stuff. But i wouldn't say that is the priority.
I think after the villain release, there shouldn't be any massive work being done until the bugs backlog is dealt with in a weekly / monthly release kind of thing.

That's everything that comes to mind at the moment, hope that will be helpful :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:14:48 am by slade991 »

OrangeDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2019, 06:37:55 am »

first time players aren't going to gnash their teeth at something like that.

I disagree. I nearly quit the game when my first fort fell to werebeasts, and I think many players were in the same boat. You spend all this time digging out your fort, only for one of the most dangerous creatures in the game to show up one year in, bite somebody (which you can't always feasibly prevent, werebeasts can show up anywhere on the map and all it takes is one woodcutter to get bit), then if you figure out this person needs to be quarantined you need to either figure out the hospital system or the military system, neither of which are very penetrable to new players. If you try to station a bitten person to lock them up, only for them to stand on the opposite side of a wall because militia dwarves have a very lax approach to actually stationing themselves on the tile you tell them to, you just lost a fort because of the god-awful military UI that no new player could possibly be expected to understand. Werebeasts show up before semi-megabeasts, even though the latter is way less dangerous than the former. That's not a good learning curve.
For every newbie who rage quit when they lost their fortress in an entertaining werebeast curse that showed them exactly how Fun Dwarf Fortress can be, there are dozens more threads on forums asking "where are the goblins, I'm so bored, my 79 dwarves have been here for years, made tons of wealth and yet no goblins. F*ck realism I'm off to play a proper game".

Honestly, what do people expect more. A fantasy game with deadly creatures that you have to figure out a way around or a fantasy game in which nothing happens and everything eventually succumbs to fps death because there are too many clothes scattered about.?

Well, whatever, if you must nerf, go ahead, just don't forget to make it an adv worldgen option.
You're describing two separate problems and portraying it as a mutually exclusive situation, where we either have no combat at all, or sucker punch new players right at the start. Changing werebeast conditions does not affect goblin siege conditions, and vice versa. You must understand that it's possible to tune up the goblin/kobold attacks so that players see more action, while also moving werebeasts back a bit so new players aren't immediately attacked by a mechanically complex creature that wipes their fort and forces a restart. This would be a more sensible difficulty curve than what we have now.

As a side note, regarding your suggestion on Reddit to use a tutorial to step players through werebeast mechanics and tell them "just use a bridge and become invincible", I don't think that's a very fun approach, since it would render the challenge and mystery obsolete immediately. That'd be like if a permadeath soulslike game started with a super complex boss, and had a tutorial popup explaining exactly what the boss's pattern was, complete with a description of an exploit you can do to trivialize the fight. Tutorial or not, it should have started with a simple boss before ramping up the complexity.

--------

A small suggestion for the devs, though I know this isn't a werebeast thread: Perhaps when someone is bitten and infected, they could temporarily have a quote in their bio saying something like "This bite feels worse than it should". That would be a way to let advanced players identify infectees without tediously poring over the combat logs, while also not spoiling the infection mechanic for new players (but still hinting at a problem).

Erei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2019, 06:59:14 am »

Since I'm new-ish to DF, I'll expose the issues I had. Note that I played a metric ton of rimworld and whatnot, so the underlying concept of micro managing a colony, with stress issues etc is not new.

Not game breaker, but should be explained :
-Engraving are, apparently, only on one side of a wall.
-Bedrooms. As a noob, I didn't know WTF dwarves need in their bedroom (beside a bed). Chest ? Cabinet ? Armor rack ? I had to google that.
-Food "rank" (IE biscuit vs more evolved food) doesn't affect moral by itself. A lavish food of 4 different variety of plump helmet is the same than a biscuit for a dwarf.
-Stairs. No really, it took me TWO forts to understand, and I'm smart. Usually. It's just really unintuitive. The first fort I thought I had it, but didn't realize the "down" stair would leave a hole. A flying forgotten beast with deadly dust proved to be a good teacher, albeit a bit overkill. I know for veteran the stairs is easy to understand, but it's quite difficult for a new player. I mean, until now I didn't know there was a difference between downstairs and upstairs. I always thought they were the same thing !
-Ramps. I never really understood them. Sometimes they work, sometime not, and I have no idea why. I think it's related to the need to have a wall next to it, while a floor with no wall doesn't seem to work (even though both provide a surface to walk on). I don't know, they are too complicated. I just use stairs nowadays.
-Water freeze instantly, and the dwarf will die if they try to carve ice. Yeah, I lost about 3 of them before realizing. Perhaps not fortress ending, but can really do damage early.
-Traps, gate, door. Some explanation on what work on what would be great. Like cage traps working on a giant but not on a werewolf half it's size and strength is certainly not obvious. Gates that can smash everything to atoms but can't be raised/closed when there is a titan can throw a wrench in a noob fortress defence, especially since there are no explanations, and the player will be left wondering why the gate didn't work (most likely assuming it's a bug, or he didn't link it properly).

Can be game breaker :

-Werebeast are a nightmare. You are aware of it, I know, but to point out how bad they can be, know that I consider them the BIGGEST threat to a fortress. Forgotten beast can be avoided (avoid the cavern, or wall the edge of the cavern), titan can be avoided (well, they'll still rampage outside), siege can be avoided, and giants are a joke (cage traps). Werebeast are super fast, and spotted very late. Leaving you with very little time to close the gates, while the dwarves outside are pretty much dead. They might not be a fortress ending threat late game, but they are almost guaranteed to kill a certain number of dwarves.
-Plump helmet seed. This is big IMO, because that's what you start with. Did you know that if you cook them, you don't have seeds ? Meaning that eventually, you can run out of them if you cook them. Well, I didn't. The information is nowhere to be seen ingame, relying on 3rd party source (IE wiki for example) or hard learned lesson. Took me a few fort (I was buying seed at every merchant), and eventually a famine to learn.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 07:19:07 am by Erei »

janxious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • buy me a coffee
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2019, 08:04:41 am »

Let's imagine it's your first time ever playing Dwarf Fortress. You get a beautiful screen that says "Hey. Welcome. You're new here. This is a game about finding and making stories in a fantasy setting. We've included a small world for you to try out. Do you want to adventure in that world, build a fort in it, explore its lore, or create a world of your own?" There's a lot implied there, including shipping a curated world new releases. But given that, integrating a bunch of the helpful information you might get from say https://df-walkthrough.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ into the game UI could make a predictable and straightforward path for new players to learn a lot.

Others here have talked a lot about the various oddities that are the UI and systems in play, but the new user experience being a gentle ramp instead of randomly you get slaughtered by some extra nasty critter in year 1 is probably a good plan.

My biggest wish for new players and old is that the various stairs are replaced by a single stairs block that automatically connects to stairs blocks above and below it.

• • • • • 

My extremely hot take is you should open the game to pre-orders and use the money to: takeover some of the things that are not directly related to working on DF (fundamentals like maintaining the bay12/dffd/etc. sites). And also hire someone whose only job for a while would be cleaning up non-functioning parts of the raws a la Modest Mod. And then hire someone who works with Toady on the code itself and whose job is (at least initially) bug fixing and cutting releases with your all's direction. The basic theory is to do more regular bug releases and lessen the distractions you face that get in the way of the game-specific work. The hires may be contractors, and they might be employees. I know wou've been allergic to hiring from listening and reading over the years, but you've got a lot of game here and a lot of it is infuriating for old and new because systems are there but not used, or errors in raws prevent things from working, or any number of other things. Basically if someone puts a bug in mantis there's never any payoff for that because the release cycle is so long. And that manifests to new users as a game that seems unmaintained.
so many orthoclase blocks

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2019, 09:19:42 am »

We never really knew that were-creatures were such a problem for new players.  This is because I think no one really knew it was a design flaw.  It's not a bug so we didn't pay attention to it.  It obviously ruined a lot of peoples fun.  They are set to come once you have 20 dwarves, which is way too soon.  We have since changed that for the next release. That really spooked me as to what other game breaking design flaws are out there waiting to ruin everything.

I'm a little dismayed to learn that no one on your side of the monitor realized this, as it has been a thing since werebeasts were first, originally, initially added. How would players even know this wasn't intentional, if the devs themselves didn't know how it was behaving in-game? I'm more than a little floored. So, I'm going to say a few words, and folks are going to discount my view because it's not my game, I didn't write it, it's Today's passion project, or similar.... but I love this game, and I want it to succeed and so these things need be said.

Moving the game from "given away for donations" to "sold in a storefront" comes with some significant expectations that do not attach to a freeware product. I understand that the developer doesn't like long sessions fixing bugs. Neither do I. Unfortunately, if they're not fixed when and where possible then they only metastasize, and I want to see the game succeed, not get panned hard as it rolls out the door. I know not every bug will be a good candidate, but there are some real nasty ones that vets never really question any longer, because that's how long they've been around!

So, I will say this again, and I will be as clear as I can about why it is needed: If you want to help the noobs you need to take some time away from adding incomplete new features that aren't entirely integrated with the old features and tend to the mantis, stat.

Invisible uniform bug that's been around for most of a decade (v31.03, from 2010) still confusing players about why they can't have their military cutting wood while uniformed? Yep. No explanation in game, gotta ask someone, because there's no indication of the source of the real problem in-game. It's a 'quirk'! Yay! Think new players might want to have their woodcutters in armor in case of snatcher or raid? I did, but you can't - good thing I wasn't lost to this bug!

Tavern keeper poisons your dwarves in the tavern for years now (since 2016!) so vets don't use them and only new players suffer? Yep. No explanation given in game, gotta ask someone why your dwarves just keep dying in the middle of the tavern for no reason. It's a "feature"! Woo!

Archery training is impossible to organize for new players without a guide, not because the military screen is complex (it is) but because there are at least two hidden, not-configurable issues that are never exposed to the player: You can't assign a barracks to archers due to priority of archery training, and you can't simply assign 10 dwarves to train, because archery is an 'individual' activity and the orders need to be individual as dwarves are not smart enough to split up or pair off. New players are not going to know or have any way to know the former, and the latter is not intuitive. Working as intended? Maybe, just don't give them a chance to carry two types of bolt at once, or you will 100% break them until you fix it (Since 2010!). Very intuitive for new players, that last one, and it's hardly the only one that will stymie them, is it?

I'm not saying you need to clean up all the bugs. I'm not saying the mantis needs to be empty. I'm saying significant progress here on lots of these niggling little issues that have been lurking in the codebase for the better part of a decade will save many noobs that would otherwise be lost to things that veterans no longer even question because they have been bugs so long they have become 'features' or 'quirks' rather than 'bugs' in our minds. It will also provide additional clarity for players to be able to determine what is a bug, and what is "working as intended".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:04:44 am by Nameless Archon »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2019, 09:26:48 am »

@Urist_Macnme: Unless you're an extreme purist non "cheater", there are two good ways to do away with corpses.
- Throw them into a deep pit, deep enough that they won't be seen from above. This can be done either by minecart dumping (techincally a quantum stockpile), or dumping (tying up the dumping feature for this purpose). I use the minecart one, with an atom smasher at the bottom to get rid of "items" for FPS reasons.
- Throw them into a deep pit with magma at the bottom, using either of the two methods in the previous option. Make it deep enough that you won't kill your dorfs with magma mist.

@armads: Mass/area forbid/claim (d-b-f/d-b-c) is essential to handle battle clutter, but not intuitive, nor something you ought to have to do manually.

@Gigaz: Civilian alerts is THE way to pull the civilians to the bunker. However, the morons won't drop the boulders they were hauling towards the building site, and so carry the precious boulder with them (away from its destination) when "fleeing".
The way to get kids to stay put is to permanetly assign them to a kid burrow that includes all the essential stockpiles, etc. Release when reaching maturity. At least that's my method.

Various issues assumed by me to be confusing to newbies (or middling players, for some of them): Not sorted in any particular order.

- Inside/outside/light/dark: The concepts themselves are essentially hidden, but their counter intuitive consequences are not.
  - Building a "house" on the surface does nothing to protect dorfs from heat/cold.
  - Plants grow just fine even when you block the sun and rain out with a roof.
  - Putting up a roof will not restore "subterranean" properties such as temperature protection or the ability to grow subsurface crops.

- Why can't you build a wall close to the map edge on the surface, but you can in the caverns?

- Mud: How do you get rid of mud from accidental leaks [I don't think there's a good way at all], and why does puddles of water leave huge layers of mud behind in the first place? Muddying for planting is a really niche activity these days. Removing muddying and replacing it with a dedicated mud generation activity for the niche use ought to be considered.

- Windmills: I think I've managed to handle the tricky building correctly, but I still don't get any power. The latitude dependent concept is an interesting theoretical one, but painful in practice. You have to look at the wiki to find out what the latitudes are (once you know about the problem at all), and then try to figure out which latitude your embark is on. I'd scrap the whole mess for the time being and just constantly provide the higher (but still rather low) power level everywhere.

- Water and water pressure: Almost incomprehensible. Walls of water (reclaimed fortresses), holes in the water (ballista bolt cavern lake tree removal), U bend pressure reduction, with potential failure to get any flow at all unless a ripple is created, diagonal depressurizing. Water wheels that don't provide any power even though logically water is flowing (and conversely, flow induced into stationary water).

- Murky pool magic: Why are murky pools filled by rain, but my ponds fail to catch anything at all?

- Civilian alerts (and burrows in general): "I ensured my civilians are all safe by painting the burrow on only the safe paths, but they ignore that and still walk into harms way." It takes explanations (possibly multiple times) to get the message across that burrows only control start and end points NOT paths (and the associated concept that burrows can be made up of discrete segments but still serve their purpose if the paths between the segments are suitable).

- Distinctions between refuse and corpse stockpiles (and, as mentioned by others, the whole stockpile division is a mess). Oldtimers still fail to understand that there was a change in the system, and it makes no sense at all that Uncle Fester who was raised by a necro in the corpse stockpile and subsequently put down now belongs to the refuse stockpile (and somehow is not scary). The inability to bury his is a pure bug, though.

- What's the difference between "armor" and "clothing" in stockpiles [as far as I understand they cover exactly the same set of items, so the answer would be "none", and the reason for there to be two of them to be "historical reasons"]? Can hopefully be cleared up with a stockpile restructuring in the awfully full Premium arc.

- Meal quality serves no purpose except for trade value purposes. Extremely confusing and counter intuitive. Either scrap the concept completely until it's time to implement recipes, or restore some purpose to it.

- Minecarts and minecart logic is a whole science in itself. However, I think the near term approach ought to be to make sure players are informed it IS and advanced area so newbies are discourged from engaging in it, or at least realize it will take a fair bit of reading/video watching/experimenting to get it to work to some degree.

- Help! My fortress seems to have gotten some strange disease with differently colored splotches all over the place!: The spore release concept would do well with some kind of "read this" hint when the first spores are released, possibly by an addition to the existing cavern discovery message (the game is already paused automatically and a text displayed). This is complicated somewhat by the existence of "muddy caverns", where a similar kind of hint might refer to an explanation of what those are.

- My dorfs rush off to fish, but just continue to fish rather than clean their catches: Taking care of food ought to have a higher priority than hauling in new food for rotting/miasma generation. Thus, a fisher/fish cleaner ought to proceed to clean the catch before going out again unless someone else took up the cleaning task, food/refuse haulers ought to prioritize hauling of food that risks being destroyed over hauling of food already stockpiled and refuse, decomposing refuse over non decomposing (such as bones).

- Dorfs killing themselves and each other by caving in the floor. I think this one takes education, information, and propaganda to make players understand that dorfs have no inherent understanding of OHS or cooperation, and that's just the way things are: the overseer has to micro manage potentially dangerous mining/dismantling operations (unless Toady is struck by genius and manages to get them to behave sensibly for at least some tasks).

- Visiting and petitioning monster killers: Sounds great, apart from them not working in any useful fashion. Spending the first ½-1 year socializing/praying etc. to make up for a life's worth of missing those activities, followed by a brief excursion down to the cavern immediately aborted by a need to get a drink. Eventually going down again (all the while the bugger is a risk to the fortress by the open access to the cavern), hack up something small to lure refuse haulers to carry away the bits, and then getting hacked up itself my something, luring corpse haulers to rush to be hacked up by whatever killed the monster killer.

- Visiting and petitioning mercs: Random characters with no attribute suitability, no mental suitability, and no skills above that of random migrants. Unless fixed, they run a big risk of becoming armed and dangerous nut jobs due to needs that can't be met by residents.

- Performers assigned to taverns: They don't work in any fashion that can be expected. They don't perform more than random patrons, but the do server booze (or shove it down patrons' throats).

Visitor residency interview satires:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2019, 10:54:04 am »

Moving the game from "given away for donations" to "sold in a storefront" comes with some significant expectations that do not attach to a freeware product. I understand that the developer doesn't like long sessions fixing bugs. Neither do I. Unfortunately, if they're not fixed when and where possible then they only metastasize, and I want to see the game succeed, not get panned hard as it rolls out the door. I know not every bug will be a good candidate, but there are some real nasty ones that vets never really question any longer, because that's how long they've been around!

I honestly feel this is a really really important thing to recognise...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

DIMOHA25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2019, 11:52:45 am »

However, i have some adventure mode complaints if that is alright. I love adventure mode but the issues with it can be very stark at times.

Yes. Thank you. All those things are not good and I love adventure mode, so I'm happy it is being discussed.

Something that I would like to see changed is how your character isn't acting like himself when you retire him. Let's say I had an adventurer that dreams of conquering the world and has a warlike personality. I come with him to some elf civilization and start slaughtering the elves in the hundreds. I kill their queen, and the next one, and the next ten. Then I retire him in the depopulated capital. It's almost guaranteed at this point that the adventurer will just settle down and do nothing, while the locals don't mind him in the slightest.
This is stupid and should be addressed.

Another thing I would like is to have something interesting in hell. As is, it's empty and boring. I would love it if storming hell would actually be rewarding. Maybe have the occasional contractless demon lord stuck in hell in a little castle. So you can beat him up and make a slave after making him yield. Also fun for fortress mode if you dig for candy above a castle like that.
Additionally, maybe unite the demons into a civilization that you can interact with in interesting ways.

I know it's pretty far removed from noobs in DF, but it is something that's been on my mind, so... Pretty please?

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2019, 12:39:28 pm »

I'm seeing a lot of the "It would be nice if X could be toggled off for new players".

Werebeasts, vampires, demons, aquifers, caverns, megabeasts, titans, etc.

It seems like a lot of new players (and even intermediate longer term players) don't realize that a lot of these things CAN be toggled off, by using advanced world gen. 

Maybe advanced world gen is made a little more sane, with these commonly sought after toggles being near the top of the options, and then things like "Min squares" "Max Squares" "Mesh size" being put into a ... super advanced submenu.  I've been playing 10+ years and I still have trouble wrapping my head around some of the advanced world gen options.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2019, 01:25:06 pm »

I too would state that difficulty options are the only logical solution.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2019, 01:46:18 pm »

I honestly feel this is a really really important thing to recognise...

Actually... going to agree, much as I don't want to.  Having been involved in many early access Steam releases, the newcomers are often shockingly brutal in their reviews.  DayZ comes to mind, and that was only 5-6 years.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 42