Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is my fortress unsalvagable?  (Read 2409 times)

IainPeregrine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is my fortress unsalvagable?
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:01:21 pm »

I've run into a bug that's crashing my fortress in less than a minute after loading the savefile. The merchants were visiting, I just had a raid mission return, and an exploration mission was in the process of leaving. I filed a bug report and made a backup, but I don't know what to do now. I tried abandoning the fort and then reclaiming it, but now I have 54 new "citizens" (the visiting human merchants) that I'm not allowed to expel, and half the fort is underwater. So that's not an option. Are there any known tricks for dealing with this? Like, is there a DFHack command that can poof away the caravan and cancel all missions, or something? Any help appreciated.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Is my fortress unsalvagable?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:55:40 pm »

Sounds like the raid equipment corruption bug. IIRC, the only way to fix it is to abandon the fort and reclaim.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:56:09 pm »

You can use exterminate command to kill things and gui/liquids (default hotkey Alt-L in loo'k') to remove water.

Not sure about cancelling missions though you can replace all dwarves on a mission with fortress dwarves.

None of this guarantees the save would be saved though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 07:01:12 am »

Disbanding all squads and never creating any new ones appears to prevent the crash from triggering (an no corrupt equipment is assigned), at the cost of a total inability to perform raids and deal with hostilities.
I consider this to be unacceptable as a "solution", but you might be able to wait with retiring the fortress until the caravan has left. All the other issues with fortress reclaiming will occur, of course, so from my perspective your fortress is lost, but you may be willing to pay the price.

As far as I understand, militia equipment lists are created from scratch when a fortress is reclaimed, and so the bug's manifestation would be erased, but I'm not sure how well it has been investigated (I haven't done any investigation of that myself).

IainPeregrine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 11:10:28 am »

Just checking back to thank you for the advise and options. I disabled my squads and that did prevent the crash. I then waited until the caravan was long gone and then retried/reclaimed my fortress. After using DFhack to remove all the water, I tried to pick up where I left off - that's when I realized I had 50 merchants in my civ count. !?!? Mud everywhere, messed up merchants, and a bunch of other disorganized stuff... I retired the fortress for good, and started a new one next door. I was really bummed, until most of my favorite dwarves ended up migrating over. Though it was ultimately not enough to save my fort, I appreciate the help : )