Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Armor arms race. Core thread. (Turn 4, Design phase)  (Read 2836 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Power Armor arms race. Core thread. (Turn 4, Design phase)
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:02:57 pm »

Welcome to Europa, in the year 100 after the collapse, the day when the Daemon APOPHIS rose, causing the collapse of the old world. When the starsailers of our ancestors were ripped from the skies as weapons, or seized by foul pirates. When man was shattered among its remaining colonies. But this does not concern our fair arcology. For in the 100 years since the old world was destroyed, two factions have arisen in our colony, from the two heroes who saved the colony. The Legacy of Smith who stem from Smith, the person who stabilized the star engines and cut them off before APOPHIS could fully take control. And the Order of Mason, whose founder reprogrammed the spirit within the core of the arcology to create a wall of digital fire capable of repulsing APOPHIS’ attacks. But war is brewing between them, as both sides shift to opposite ends of the great arcology, and prepare for conflict. This war will decide the fate of the arcology, and quite possibly, the fate of all mankind.
Welcome to…
Power Armor Arms Race.
(Temp map courtesy of Taricus, being put here to catch attention as the first map submitted)
Spoiler: Combat zones (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources and Expense (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Phases (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

To start off with there will be three turns of preparation before the actual combat starts. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about the lore and mechanics of the game.
Mason's thread
Smith's thread
I will accelerate the rollout of the two other threads upon request
Discord link
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 04:51:48 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power Armor arms race. Core thread. (Turn 0, Phase 1)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:18:20 am »

Faction threads posted
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 09:21:38 am »

And so we Smith improvements. Down with the Masons, Secret lurkers in the dark.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 12:05:43 pm »

joining the mason team because fuck it.jpeg
it's over

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:52 pm »

If I’m joining something, it’s the Masons. Although I may just be inactive and not do much.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 05:59:57 pm »

I will observe.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 06:41:54 pm »

First contest
War is on the horizon, but before conflict can begin both sides must correct a major issue. Neither has a full visual map of the area they will be fighting in, and have agreed to pool their resources to make a map representing the areas the war will take place in. Thus both sides are holding a contest between various map designs to find the one that best represents the areas they are fighting in.
Each player may submit any number of map graphics/design, either alone or collaboratively with any other players, at the end of next turn I will select my favorite and put it in the OP of the core thread. The team of the player/s with the design that gets picked will get a bonus based on the quality and design of the chosen map. Each team may also vote for a map design to be put in the OP of their team's thread, for no real bonuses besides a feeling of accomplishment.
My Power armor arms race

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 01:38:11 am »

Smith.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 01:25:09 am »

Votes locked
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power Armor arms race. Core thread. (Turn 0, Phase 2)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:52:32 pm »

Design phase 1 complete
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 03:55:15 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Trent01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 03:11:13 pm »

Looking to join the Smiths.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 03:50:39 pm by Trent01 »

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 08:59:10 pm »

PTW, and to join the Masonites.

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 03:19:18 pm »

Post to watch, I'm with the Smiths.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 04:51:02 pm »

Combat phase 1
Both sides have built up an armory, and prepared for this moment over the last 6 months. Tensions have steadily risen, until, finally, on this day in mid March, war finally erupts across the arcology. The Smiths and the Masons now march into conflict, armor donned, and weapons held high.
Underground
The deep mine is a bit of a mess due to the Smith's Fenrir and ridiculously large double barreled shotgun. The fenrir serves especially well in that region since it has some pretty beefy environmental control systems which let it safely move through areas which would cook other suits, and then their massive amounts of armor and incredibly deadly shotguns are incredibly effective in the enclosed confines of the underground
But, the masons have grenades.
Using them in the tunnels is dicy, but when they are used the tunnels they are quite effective at taking out Fenris suits. And the Fenris, being a walking tank, is really expensive. However, thanks to superior C3 equipment on the Smith's part they're able to field them to maximum effect, keeping them out of lethal fights and using them to break through strongpoints.
Smiths advance in the underground, gaining 3/4 control over the Deep mines.
Underwater
The same pairing of superior command and ultraheavy ultrastrong units is what turns the underwater region into a tie. The Mason's powerful Warrior armor no match for the Fenris in a straight up fight, they may have been able to kill them in mob tactics, but they utterly lack any sort of melee weapon that they could use that's strong enough to punch through.
Though the Masons will have advantage there next turn, since they did manage to inch forwards, and their warrior armor rendered the fights with normal LSF1 exos a bit of a joke.
Stalemate in the biodome.
Urban combat
Urban zone the masons have almost entirely. Because it's wide open enough for their superior range with their SMGs and rifles to come into play, along with allowing their grenades to have a chance of taking out enemy Fenris tank suits.
Their advance is also helped by their superior medical tech, which is able to rapidly heal the minor wounds inflicted by Smith shotguns at range. This same medical tech is also fielded in a humanitarian role, helping win popular support from the people of the slums.
All of this allows the masons to advance to 3/4 in the slums.
As neither side has fielded a dedicated or generally superior vacuum combat unit. Perhaps something with flight capabilities might be potent in vacuum combat
MVPS snippet
A small squad of mason soldiers is setting up a tent with a red cross on it in a crossroads courtyard in the slums, major roads and alleyways snaking off from it like veins from an infected heart. The squalid stench of too many people in too little space fills the air as they unsling packs full of medical supplies, most notably contherinal biogel. "Worst injured first!" one soldier shouts shouts "Line up, orderly, there's only enough for the worst injured right now, but we'll be back with more later"
There are far too many people, even focusing solely on those who would die otherwise, and reducing the dosage for slower regen over a period of time, there still isn't enough biogel to treat everyone who needs it. The soldiers know this, the mob knows this. The hard lessons learned from the better part of week of doing this. So they prioritize, focusing on the young, the healthy, the influential, the well known, neglecting the elderly, the nobodies, those whose wounds merely crippled, all left to rot.
In a tower above the slums, a sniper waits, rifle at the ready, watching for any sign of smith activity.
This gathering of people hasn't gone unnoticed, however, as the smiths plot to break up this squad.
Suddenly, a scream goes up from one side of the courtyard, as a Fenris charges down the road. Legs pumping, and impressive mass knocking people away left and right. As the slum dwellers panic, the masons rush to grab their guns. Even as their sniper starts sending shot after shot into the Fenris, to no avail. BANGBANG The Fenris discharges its double barreled shotgun point blank into the face of one of the mason soldiers, going right through their armor through sheer amount of projectiles, causing red gore to fly into the air as nearby slum dwellers who were too slow or too injured to get away in time are blown to bits. The remainder of the squad begin trying to organize at this point, getting into a firing line with their rifle grenades, before launching a volley at the demon wolf that had turned this place into a nightmare of blood and death. Explosion after explosion rocks the Fenris, most of the grenades glancing off of it's armor, but one, one gets in a lucky hit, landing right by the legs of the massive beast of a machine, crippling it. Now down on one knee, the Fenris doesn't seem so tall. A brave, or foolish, mason soldier pulls open his pack, grabbing two rifle grenades and running towards the Fenris to forcefully place them next to the places where they could do the most damage. As he gets within throwing range the Fenris roars to life, lunging at him, seeking to crush the life out of the foolish soldier. And get in position to fire off the shotgun again. Splat, goes the soldier, BangBang, the shotgun fires again, dispatching yet another soldier. But the sacrifice wasn't in vain, as soon the sniper lights off the grenades that the other soldier had dropped by the Fenris, finally bringing down the beast. Silence falls upon the courtyard then, broken only by the moans of the dying, the cries of the mourning for those they lost, and the soft ambiance of dead suits cooling off, of bits of metal popping and hissing as blood makes contact with superheated alloy, of electrical circuits discharging what little power they had left, and of the occasional sharp CRACK of an unregulated organic battery dumping as much charge as it can to safe the device.
Spoiler: Mason Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Smith Designs (click to show/hide)
My Power armor arms race