Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Fall From Grace 1.67  (Read 10566 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: Fall From Grace 1.67
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:58:08 pm »

These are dark times.

Mankind had once prospered under the will of the Great Gods, the ur-powers which lesser deities paid fealty too. Their empires grew mighty and their knowledge deep, but such was their hubris that they had not considered they were but children in a world far bigger than they could have imagined. From below the waves lurked things which had slumbered since the times before Antiquity, the times before lumbering reptiles dragged themselves across the primordial swamps which became the world as we know it. And when they woke, they were not pleased with what they saw, these upstarts who claimed the title of kings. Using their eldritch might, they flooded the world, half-burying it under malevolent tides. But this was only the beginning of the terror. The gods of the sea bid their people to clamber upon the land and cage the surface dwellers from the coasts, entrapping them in the remnants of their old, vaunted empires. Now the degraded peoples of this broken world cling to whatever offers hope or comfort, be it the old gods of ancient days or the new gods which swim and squirm below the blue waters. A time of chaos and stagnation, where nothing truly changes yet lives are broken upon the wheel of fortune every day. A world which has fallen from its lofty status into the pits of despair. If change is to come, it will be a long and harsh quest beyond imagining, and one must take care not to repeat the mistakes of their ancestors, lest an even greater doom befall mankind.
===========================================================================
What is Fall From Grace?

This mod is my second or third attempt at a gothic horror setting, and I think I've got it nailed this time. The world is much like our own, albeit with the existence of the supernatural, divine, and unholy, with similar histories and cultures to ours, but diverged enough to be a thing of its own, and not intended as a commentary on our real world. The (re-)start of recorded history takes place after a great flood which destroyed the balance of power, further compounded by an invasion of horrors from the sea and the re-emergence of many supernatural monsters. Humanity (and things which were once human) live in a grim world reminiscent of the beginnings of the early modern or late medieval period, when knights in armor co-existed with lines of handgunners clad in cuirasses. Of course, in this world there are plenty of monsters to which a suit of armor would be useful against, so both knights and gunners have their place. As a gothic horror setting, there is less an emphasis of the fantastic around every corner and more the existence of the fantastic as having a history, an individual identity, and proper characterization. Rather than just throwing supernatural elements into the mod willy-nilly, I hope to give each unnatural thing a proper place in the world and a reason for its existence.

DOWNLOAD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14588

HOW TO INSTALL:
Just download it, place the folder somewhere, and play it. This mod comes with its own .exe and everything, you do not need to copy and paste, drag and drop, or otherwise move any files around beyond the initial step. It works exactly like installing and playing the vanilla game.
===========================================================================
Change Log

1.67 Changes:
-Some new monsters added
-Some bugfixes
-Northern armor overhauled, and coifs added. Northern civs are meant to be inspired by the 1200s, so hopefully that works out.
-Another southern civilization added. There is now a divide between the henotheistic caliphates of the Great God of Fire and the polytheistic old shahdoms.
-A new race added, the voidborn. They're frail, intelligent humanoids from the Outer Dark who live in cloistered settlements.
-Northern, Southern, Imperial, and Diaspora human civilizations are now playable in fortress mode. I want to keep non-humans unplayable in fortress mode to keep them mysterious and exotic. Making contact with them either as a hostile force or friendly liaison should be an exciting and unpredictable occasion.

1.66 Changes:
-I finally broke and changed ALL the equipment names so they function right in fort mode. Let me know if something has gone terribly wrong.
-Some cool bugs added. Like, the insect kind.

1.65 Changes:
-Quick fix to some bugs
-Golems overhauled
-Automatons added

1.6 Changes:
-Magic users reworked. There are now generic "practitioners" which can learn a wide variety of disciplines. I will add more in future updates as I think of them.
-A new minor faction of humans added. These humans are refugees from a continent to the distant east, driven out of their homes by an oppressive, sprawling empire and arriving on the southernmost portions of the northwest continents. It is said that there are strange and unknown Great Gods in their homeland, but until the westerners find a way to cross the open ocean without being taken by the horrors of the sea these refugees are the only proof such a place exists. They wear strange armor and use strange weapons, and fight alongside their massive insectoid war beasts.
-Dinosaurs reworked, there are now more of them and the names are changed.
-Ghosts added to evil areas. They are easily dispersed when struck but hard to hit and can debuff you with status effects. Some types of ghost are more dangerous than others. As a general rule, you don't want to run into one alone.
-I have decided that there needs to be more monstrous enemy races to threaten civilization, especially with how the new alliance mechanics work. With that in mind, I introduce four invader races; The Excarnate, heretical skeleton crusaders who want to purge the living in the name of holy undeath (schismed from the Sanctified), the Plagued, insane humans carrying a contagious disease, Troll-Men, a troll variant with something approaching intelligent thought, and Blemmyes, failed experiments in creating homunculi soldiers. All are hostile.
-Cthonic monsters used by civilizations will now be special slave variants instead of the sort found in their native habitat. A bit weaker with a better ratio of creatures.
-Relics added. Pre-Deluge technology was vastly more advanced than what exists today, and what examples remain are jealously guarded. The remnants of the Land Of Many Angles, the Roaming Empire, and the First Civilization all make use of melee, ranged, and vehicular relics of immense combat potential, the latter of which can be so powerful that the strongest of knights cannot dent them. Only massed fire from ranks of handgonnes or the cannons of a normal war machine can hope to bring such ancient terrors to heel.
-I really dislike giving the player the ability to do things NPCs can't, but I really don't have a choice here. The player can now make lead ammunition for guns using the smelter. Unfortunately, NPC civs will not do this for a bunch of complicated reasons. But I really want lead ammunition for your gunners, so here we are.
-I switched the skills for handgunner and bowman. Not much of a change, but now hunters will spawn with bows and crossbows instead of handguns, and that sort of detail is important.

1.58 Changes:
-Quick fix to necromancers not having emotions
-Nosferatu will now infect victims with the Strigoi strain of vampirism instead of making them ghouls.

1.57 Changes:
-Some nations with a strong connection to pre-deluge civilization will use advanced firearms like muskets and blunderbusses.
-Orichalum and Black Iron temporarily removed due to bugs regarding material usage. Everyone is back to using steel for now.
-Landships overhauled. There are now four different styles of vehicle, two land-types and two air-types. In addition, land-types will have a mobile workshop variant that can "revive" and repair downed vehicles adjacent to it.
-Some more new armor pieces added

1.55 Changes:
So I found a CTD bug mid-update so now I'm rushing this out, more content to come but your game won't crash no more hopefully.
-Some new armor pieces added
-Languages overhauled to give them a more defined aesthetic and move away from historical cultures in favor of something more unique. Different civilizations can share a language according to their historical lineage and the ancient civilizations they descended from.
-New wizard type added, the Druid. They're like werewolves, only they turn into bears and deliberately chose the life of living in a cave and terrorizing you instead of having it forced on them. They won't infect you but oh man are they big.
-Trolls added to various biomes.

1.5 Changes:

-Gunners and bowmen get cool hats now (in civilized nations at least)
-A batch of true Chthonic entities added to the underworld
-Rolled back the iron/steel stuff because it just seemed to weird and arbitrary. Instead of just giving barbarian northerners steel though, they now use a substance called black iron. It's thick, crude, and imbued with shamanic runes to give it the strength of steel. So same thing, different aesthetic.
-Slavic-style humans added, the Severa. They split from the wolfmen before they became the wolfmen, and defend their homeland from bestial aggression.
-Creatures from the Outer Dark revamped, replacing vanilla creatures that had previously been placeholders. They should be more space-y now.
-Giant Snails added as per medieval tapestries
-Vampires reworked. There are now Nosferatu acting as conventional civilization-infiltrating vampires, and actual vampires existing as tower-dwelling necromancer-types with special undead minions. In addition, if two vampires procreate, they produce a Dhampir, an eerie being with strange powers but without the bloodthirst of its parents.
-New curse added, ogre transformation. Functions as a vampire or werebeast curse, but you turn into an ugly, perpetually insatiable elephant-sized humanoid. They can exist in society but tend to cause upheaval and trouble wherever they go. They can also reproduce.
-The Sanctified changed to better fit their theme as religious undead. The majority of the mortal population are now termed pariahs on account of basically being lepers, with a small percentage of them being born stillborn and used as seeds to create different types of undead based on modifications of pre-existing rituals. So instead of holy undead all basically being the same, they will now have a greater variety of form and bear the traits of the undead they were intended to mimic. They're like bootleg versions of the original along with some universal modifications.
-This change is a bit crazy but bear with me. I've changed the way skills work to reduce them greatly. Instead of all the different weapon skills, there is now the one-hander weapon for small weapons, the two-hander weapon for large melee weapons, the sidearm user skill for daggers, with skirmisher/handgunner/bowman remaining unchanged. This is because you can't use two-handed weapons with shields effectively, and the game does not let NPCs not carry shields if they are of a particular melee skill. Basically if a hammer user carries a maul, he's automatically nerfed from using it one-handed. The exception to this is the Pikeman skill, which does not use a shield. I could just fold two-handed weapons into the pikeman skill, but that would be lopsided as one-handed weapons would require a ton of different skills while a two-hander expert could pick up a greatsword as easily as a greataxe. So, my compromise is the situation explained above.
-Overhauled weapons entirely, there's now a fair amount of variants for each type of weapon, tilted in favor of blunt weapons like maces and hammers because you need those to fight dudes in plate armor.
-Doppelhaken name changed to 'wall-gonne' so its more universal
-A new biome added, the Forest of Night. Its at the bottom of the cave layers and is where vampires get their powers from. It is basically a physical manifestation of nightmare and predation.

1.4 Changes:

-Some nations make pig iron directly from ores. It's advanced metallurgy don't think about it. Anyway this also means that other civs will make weapons/armor/ammo from normal iron to emphasize their primitive nature while also ensuring civilized nations don't wear an iron/steel patchwork mess of armor, which they shouldn't be doing in the current era.
-New hostile race, Hellions. These demonic cave-dwelling imps boil forth from the caverns where their chthonic masters dwell, bringing chaos behind them.
-Some updates to vehicles. The current type of landcraft will now be called "ironclads" on account of having metal plating. "landcrafts" will be the term given to non-armored wooden vessels used by some other nations. They use ballistas as opposed to cannons like what ironclads do.
-Two new types of ranged weapons, slurbows and prodds. Slurbows are crossbows with closed barrels, and prodds are a type of crossbow that fires pellets, or in this case the round shot used by handgonnes.
-Throwing weapons reworked. Instead of a generic "throwing gauntlet" to trick the game into making soldiers with throwing weapons, there are now types of throwing weapons as ammo and a "last xyz" as the thing that "throws" them. So if a soldier has a "last throwing spear" weapon, he'll carry throwing spears as ammo. This lets them have a decent weapon to defend themselves with after they run out of ammunition and charge into melee. A guy with throwing axes just becomes an axeman once he throws them all, for example.
-Just a ton of new melee weapons in general. Wanted to give nations more variety.
-Flying carpets now come in small, moderate, and large varieties.
-Holy Weapons reworked
-New caste added to the Saints, the Faithful. The Faithful are mortal, almost human beings touched by necromancy. They age and die like anyone else, but the best of them have the opportunity to become Saints if they desire immortality on earth as well as the heavens (works as necromancy). This was added to ground the Saints a bit more as a civilization, giving the Saints themselves (who are now about 1/4th of the population compared to their mortal charges) a more distinct role as protectors and servants of the mortal citizenry if they haven't decided to go off on adventures. The race as a whole is now referred to as the Sanctified rather than Saints, as well. My tests have shown that this shouldn't cause you to CTD when you look at them but they still might haha, so tell me if they do that.
-Added some more underground friends

1.35 Changes:
-HUGE overhaul to clothing and armor. There should now be a wide variety of outfits and military uniforms to choose from, with each civilization having its own distinct and unique look.
-New human culture, the Jern. A simple northern people regressed back to the iron age after the great deluge, the Jern are a hardy and reliable group that often feud with the wolfmen who share their territory.

1.3 Changes:
-Weapons swapped out because I've always used muskets when guns were needed and I want to try something new out. Civs will now use handgonnes of varying types. Handgonnes are the ancient predecessor to the musket and have all kinds of weird shapes I think are neat.
-Languages updated to be more closely based on real-world ones for fun thematic stuff.
-Cool types of magic added. Demonologist, Diviner, Thaumaturge, Lineage Channeler, and Alchemist.
-New race added, the Ghuls. Carnivorous ogres descended from tribes who rejected the teachings of the Fire God, these surprisingly human cave-dwellers are highly-valued mercenaries and brothers-in-arms in the eternal wars of the post-deluge world.

1.2 Changes:
-Updated to latest version

1.1 Changes:
-Random monsters from medieval tapestries added. I'll probably be adding more of these in bits and pieces as I add other new content.
-Armor expanded and fleshed out, should get more cool designs.
-New human faction added, city-states guarded by knights in various types of late medieval armor.
-Caverns expanded, they are now more fleshed out. Mostly sunken and filled with horrific water monsters. The land is relatively safe though. Unless you run into the natives.
-New race added, Cyclopes. The Cyclopes are another remnant of Antiquity, like the Satyrs, but are godless and prideful. perhaps that is why they are reduced to a paltry few mountain fortresses.

1.0 Changes:
-Fall From Grace released
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:09:27 pm by squamous »
So I've got a Patreon now if you wanna get in on that: https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: Fall From Grace 1.0
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:58:48 pm »

LORE

Gods:

While many lesser saints and spirits are revered by the races of the world, there exist many greater deities which have a far greater sway than those directly worshipped by mortals. They have changed the world, for better or worse, and now nothing can be the same as it was.

The Corpse God:

The Corpse God took the form of a man who preached of sacrifice and evolution, of a world where all may find peace and enlightenment through resurrection and self-improvement through the powers of undeath. And then he was crucified, as other sects found his words most heretical. But he did not truly die. He rose again, and with his followers he wandered from grave to grave, reviving those who had stayed loyal to him and slaying his murderers. From these came the Consecrated Undead, the living dead which went on a pilgrimage to the desolate mountains in order to build their kingdom on earth, and wage war on those would misuse the powers of Holy Necromancy to enslave others rather than enhance themselves.

The faith encourages the pursuit of (proper) undeath and the becoming of something more than human, self-discipline and self-improvement, contemplation and self-consciousness, and the exploration of space.

His primary spheres are Healing, Mercy, Thralldom, Longevity, Justice, and Discipline.

The Fire God:

From the south he came, a great conquerer who claimed relation to the older Corpse God, but that he was a greater force still, who should be revered above him. Using the strength to command the most volatile of the four Vital Elements, along with other displays of godly might, the avatar of this vast power forged a faith of his own, which ever fueds with their northern brothers. Of all the great gods, the Fire God has the greatest amount of devout human followers, having not yet created a race of his own. Perhaps he does not wish to.

The faith encourages passion, conquest, staying true to humanity while also self-improving, having many children, and converting others to the Fire God's worship.

His primary spheres are Rulership, Fire, Strength, War, The Sun, and Fertility.

The Sea Gods:

Of the great gods, these have no relation to man. From the deep seas did they come, shapeless masses of piscine features which drove many mad and others into supplication, not by their visage but by the knowledge of humanity’s insignificance in the face of the world’s true purpose. Their amphibious children built great citadels near the water they spawned from which they even now guard, making travel by sea a most foolish venture. The oceans are not safe. Those who enter into their dark bargains must know that the price is steep, and no one is safe from the altar of sacrifice.

The faith is largely unknowable to mankind but seems to place importance on the destruction of terrestrial life and mad, contradictory edicts which only make sense to its submarine priesthood.

Their primary spheres are Oceans, Nightmares, Deformity, Depravity, Sacrifice, and Chaos.

The Sinful God:

A bacchanalian horned figure who dances on the horizon, the Sinful God tempts many to indulge in their vices, always seeking to undo the suffocating restraints of morality. While he is certainly a danger to man due to his capricious and cruel nature, he is not as directly antagonistic as the Sea Gods. It is simply that the Sinful God has no sense of restraint, and were he to be worshiped exclusively civilization would lapse into a destructive hedonic spiral from which there would be no escape.

The faith emphasizes excess, respect for luck, risk-taking, adventuring, boldness, and a willingness to disregard order to satiate your desires.

Its primary spheres are Lust, Gambling, Revelry, Murder, Trickery, and Luck.

The Green God:

The patron of pagan spirits, the Green God oversees the natural world, and cares little for the affairs of civilization except to prune it should it grow too unruly. His patrons are savage barbarians and anarchistic druids, who with the rise of man have been driven to the far north, where the blessings of the Green God have changed many of them into fearsome, animalistic creatures who raid the warmer lands for food and plunder.

The faith encourages the disavowal of symbolic thought and a return to the animal state.

Its primary spheres are Nature, Silence, Revelry, Weather, and Balance.

The Stone God:

An ancient great god said to be the father of the Fire and Corpse gods, his worship is practiced in ancient city fortresses home to many occultists and ritualists, using his sacred language to bind demons of the outer darkness to their will and create unthinking soldiers of clay and iron. Cunning and furtive, followers of the Stone God are often mistrusted by others, though this does not stop the ambitious from seeking them out.

The faith encourages the building of great works, the pursuit of knowledge both mundane and magical, striving for excellence, and the quest to control one's own life.

His primary spheres are Earth, Creation, Boundaries, Fortresses, Oaths, Truth, and Wealth.

The Rotting God:

People often classify fungus as part of the Green God's domain. This is a common mistake. In truth, fungus is simply not part of the natural order, at least as far as terrestrial life is concerned. It is an alien presence which has no relation to the existing classifications of earthly beasts, and even the Sea Gods know little of its nature. And "it" is truly the most efficient way to describe fungus, because it is all singular. Every mushroom, spore, and tendril of fungal nature is part of one great oversoul, the blind Rotting God which recieves no worship nor desires any. It wishes only to break down the very matter of life to add to its own unholy mass, until the entire world is a charnel pit of half-digested corpses.

The faith, such as it is, encourages the spread of fungus above all other concerns.

Its spheres are Death, Rebirth, Muck, Birth, Blight, and Disease

The Lake Goddess:

Patron of knights and valor, this relatively minor but widely known goddess of fresh water guides the blades of the knightly orders in their quest to rid the world of brigandry and monsters. Though her power is weak, many flock to her cause and give worship on the shores of sacred waters as they train new generations of valiant warriors. The Sunken Lady is growing in popularity, but she competes for followers with mighty established religions. At the same time, she has few enemies save for those of the sea, for all can appreciate her followers and their passion for slaying the monsters that plague them.

The faith encourages bravery, chivalry, the creation of art, and the destruction of oceanic life.

Her spheres are Lakes, Valor, Art, and Dreams.

The Buried God:

A silent and mysterious god, but powerful nonetheless. His realms are the many caverns deep below the earth, where the sun never shines. He pulls in things which take his interest, and only rarely do they return, and often changed. His subtle but pervasive influence can be felt across the world, and many a ruin and living city as been pulled under the churning earth, added to his endless collection of fallen nations and crumbling empires, the inhabited ruins of which still imperil those foolish enough to delve into his domain. Away from the purifying light of the sun, things strange and eerie dwell in the dark. Dangerous things, fed off the flesh of man and gifted with his intellect, or driven down below for their sins on the surface. Either way, they are rightly feared.

His spheres are caverns, jealousy, minerals, darkness, theft, and suicide

========================================================

Races:

Humans:

Humans once called themselves the oldest and greatest race, their mighty armies subjugating the land and bringing their lessers to heel, if not exterminating them outright. They built vast empires and mighty fleets, and called the world their own. Surely, they thought, there could be no greater power than they below the heavens. No race more favored by fate.

They were wrong.

From the seas came an ancient power which punished them for their temerity, half-sinking their vaunted homelands and caging them with countless fortresses staffed by nauseating horrors from the briny deep. The land became a prison, or a butcher's larder, depending on who you speak with. While civilization continues, it now knows there are far greater things than they swimming out in the endless depths, and that they live on the sufferance of things best left unseen. But hubris is the greatest of sins for good reason, and it may be that the jailers of man may well find that a cornered animal, no matter how weak, is more than capable of delivering a lethal strike.

While most nations pay lip service to the Great Gods in general, there are a few types which have wholly committed themselves to one or the other. In the warmer climes there are rumors of men with strange armor and odd weapons, who subjugate the south in the name of the Burning Conquerer. Likewise, the blasted deserts hold the remnants of a once-great civilization which worshipped the Stone God as their primary deity. On the shores of cursed seas the refugees of a distant empire build their isolated city-states. Truly, humanity is the most greatly varied and numerous of the races. On land, anyway.

Mankind on the Sunken Continents (the area of the world the mod takes place in) can be divided into several different cultures:

The Diaspora:

The Diaspora are a mysterious group that make their homes in the desert, living in modest hillocks surrounding more lavish fortress temples where they worship the Stone God along with lesser, more culturally relevant minor gods. They are known for their magical might, weaving magic into their military in the form of wards of protection along with more general-purpose things like their famous golems of clay and iron, or their fleets of flying carpets.

The Successor States:

Comprised of several different cultures that have been on the rise since the deluge, the successor states are spread throughout the Sunken Continents. They make use of plate armor, gunpowder, and vehicles. Each state has its unique cultural quirks, but shares a language and set of ethics. Most can trace their history to the Empire of Roam, an incredibly powerful civilization which ruled a large portion of the world thousands of years ago.

The Imperials:

The Imperials are a culture which revere a new great god, the Lake Goddess. They claim to be descended from the last great Pre-Deluge empire, and back up their claims with knowledge of advanced firearms technology no other civilization can produce.

The Southern Peoples:

The Southern Peoples come from the desolate southern wastes, settling in the few areas of the Sunken Continents that possess a tropical biosphere. These immigrants bring with them exotic walkers and flying machines, along with worship of the Fire God.

The Northern Peoples:

A hardy people trapped in destitution due to the poor conditions of the frigid tundras they call home, the northern clans make due with armor and weapons long-since outdated but still plenty useful. Despite their low levels of technology and sophistication they know their lands like no other, and are quite adept at defending their home should they be threatened.

The Eastern Peoples:

Foreigners who fled long ago from what they claim to be a distant and oppressive empire, they arrived on the southern shores of the western continents and have since lived as minor powers within, offering their services as centers of trade and purveyors of mercenaries. Known for their exotic blades and terrible giant war-centipedes, the eastern nations represent a small but notable faction among the many cultures of man. Perhaps if the sea is ever crossed once more, the western world will learn more of their mysterious homeland.

Sanctified:

When the Corpse God rose again, he did not rise alone. His loyal followers, slain by the pagans and followers of the Stone God who ruled at the time, were resurrected one by one, anointed with sacred oils and bound with consecrated stitching, to return to the world of the living as the holy undead, and the true purpose of the necromantic arts. The creation of mindless undead slaves that so many heretical sorcerers practice is but a perversion of the miracle granted to man by the Crucified Prince. The majority of the Corpse God's followers are living men and women, often afflicted with terrible disease due to their multigenerational exposure to dense necromantic energies. But what the Corpse God is known for is its unique types of undead. The most common are the product of stillborn infants given new unnatural life and cultured to maturity through exsanguination and replacement of their blood with mysterious sacred oils distilled and cultured from the body and blood of the undying prophet, through rituals often modeled after other forms of undeath but altered to suit the needs of the faith. Above that are the Sacred Necromancers, mortal followers who reached enlightenment and transformed themselves through a blessed ritual using similar rites of exsanguination. The blessing of the Corpse God makes Sacred Necromancers very difficult to slay, and even then they may yet rise again if their body isn't fully destroyed should it be brought before a Sacred Necromancer. The sanctified make war with fanaticism and vigor, their eerie-looking armor inspiring awe and dread in their foes. Fighting among them are the terrifying Holy Weapons, scripture-singing undead constructs created through ritual and prayer.

Wolfmen:

As the Stone, Fire, and Corpse Gods gained more and more power, the primitive tribal lifestyle of the pagans came to an end. Without the hierarchy and technological advancement of the people of the civilized Great Gods, they could not withstand the armies of change which swept over the land. Slowly but surely they were pushed back into the coldest parts of the world, until eventually they could go no further. With no hope left, they struck a bargain with the indifferent Green God, begging for the strength to turn the tide in exchange for offering their bodies and souls unto him. The force of nature accepted, and the pagans were transfigured into bestial forms bursting with power. Though they were outnumbered, their ferocity drove back their foes and has kept them at bay since then. But their lands are harsh and their spirits dampened by their miserable lot, and it is no surprise they remain a minor power.

The Abyssals:

When the Sea Gods rose to punish man for their hubris, they did not do so alone. The Abyssals, their piscine children, were sent to the land to scour the shores, destroying the coastal settlements and enacting horrific retribution upon those who did not flee. Though their kind are no longer seen in force among the Western Continents, they have been known to lurk in the realms of those who have bent the knee toward the planet’s rightful rulers.

Sea Children:

Furthermore, their depraved experimentations have created the Sea Children, grotesque hybrids of man and Abyssal, which utilize a dreadful mixture of human technology and monstrous aberrations. Alas, enough humanity remains in the minds of the Sea Children that they serve the Sea Gods through self-interest and lust for power rather than proper obedience and supplication. For this reason, they must be brought to heel by their betters, and frequently. At the least, they make for good cannon fodder.

Satyrs:

During the ancient era there was a nation which pledged itself to the Sinful God and his court of devils, enjoying pleasure without restraint and power without wisdom. It grew into a mighty empire but collapsed soon after under the weight of its greed and the pressures of its overextended borders. But it was one of the most favored of the Sinful God's cults, and so its children were blessed with the dark knowledge and new forms which suited their master more favorably. These enigmatic folk cluster in their towers and entice others to join their dark festivals, subverting and converting the weak minded into spies and tools for their dark master to further his influence. Though they are low in number, they possess horrible beasts and weapons from the golden age of Antiquity to which the monsters of the present pale in comparison, and for this they remain a power in the world.

Cyclopes:

Another remnant of Antiquity, the Cyclopes were once a race of man who practiced enlightened gnosticism, ever-questing for knowledge and power. Godless, they sought to become gods themselves, and in doing so changed their people forever. They lost their original two eyes and gained a new one, and the insights granted by it gave them terrible powers of strength and stature. Still godless and prideful, they nevertheless remain a minor power due to their low population, though as individuals they are terrible indeed. Cyclopes are masters of the forge and will sometimes create strange masterworks which only they understand the meanings of. These are highly valued by those who care for such things.

Divs:

Originally tribesmen of the south who adhered to the old ways and the old ancestral spirits, they were driven out of their homes by the encroachment of the Fire God's followers thousands of years ago. To survive, they learned to seek shelter in the caverns, changing into the powerful, carnivorous Divs of the modern day. But while one hears legends of flesh-eating man-beasts when one speaks about Divs, the truth is less dramatic. Yes, they are strictly meat-eaters, and yes they tower over most men. However, a great deal of humanity can be found in their cultures and in their psychologies, wrestling with their new form and lifestyle. That said, there is no telling if this will last. The Divs are a people in flux, their enforced habitats taking them down a road that may slowly steal their hard-kept humanity away from them. Perhaps not in a hundred, or even a thousand years. But generations from now, there is no way of knowing if the Divs will remain an ally of man, or yet another of its predators.

Hellions:

The simpering hordes of the underworld, the Hellions dwell in caves when they don't serve their dark masters far below the earth. A simple horde of brutes, they are not to be underestimated in their cunning and capacity for cruelty. They sneak into the civilized lands and subtly prepare unsuspecting villages for raids and invasions, and many a sleeping village has been caught unawares by a horde of pillaging brutes. They are notable as one of the few terrestrial races not descended from man, and have existed in the Chthonic realm long before the dawn of mankind.

The Troll-Men:

Monstrous creatures born out of a union between followers of pagan gods and brutish trolls, the resultant beings have the strength of their animalistic ancestors and the cunning of men. Large and terrible, they blessedly lack the intelligence to be more than cave-dwelling barbarians, and can be fended off by the knights of the realm. It is said that some in the north seek to make use of them as slave beasts for the purposes of war, but such an endeavor would be most difficult.

The Plagued:

In the final days before the Deluge, much of the western continent was gripped by a terrible illness which spread like wildfire across the countless kingdoms it hosted. Worse still, many of those infected would invariably grow maddened, mindlessly attacking their once-beloved and befriended in a mindless haze of violence. One would have hoped the Deluge would have at least wiped that away, but such was not the case. The Plagued, left to their own devices, have constructed a semblance of society. Driven though they are to infect and destroy, they now do so in arms and armor of steel caked in pus and pile. A far more potent threat than they once were.

The Excarnate:

When the Corpse God's followers first spread their blessings, there were naturally arguments of how this should be handled. The moderate faction, which we know today as the holy Undying Church, advocated for a system of personal enlightenment and the respectful making-use of the deceased and stillborn, allowing living and undead to live in harmony until the former could become the latter. The extremist faction, which admittedly had been largely responsible for keeping the faith from being exterminated in its early days, advocated for the complete elimination of life, such that only the holy undead, saved by providence, would be left to inherit the earth. It was only after a bloody schism that the extremists were suppressed, left to fester in the dark corners of the world and far below it. But now, it seems, these specters of the past have come back to haunt the worshipers of the Undying Prophet, as the unfleshed legions of the Excarnate have mustered once again to wage holy war on both their apostate brethren and life itself.

The Blemmye:

The era of Antiquity brought forth countless wonders and oddities, of which many have survived to the present. One among them is the Blemmye race. Their strange forms are no doubt striking, their design clearly the work of an intelligent hand. Historians claim they were a weapon of the Roaming Empire during ancient days, their durable bodies optimized for war against their hated foe. Now without purpose, they make their homes in caverns and tunnels, waging war not for the sake of an empire, but for the perpetuation of their own species.

The Automatons:

Mysterious constructions produced in the Late Pre-Deluge era, these differ from golems in that while both are fueled by magic, the automaton is also fueled and articulated by steam and the natural laws of the world as much as arcane might, reducing the skill of the sorcerers needed to create them and allowing them to be produced in far greater numbers. Of course, even this science was lost after the flood. However, automatons still exist in solitary fortresses by lakes and seas, where they dredge the water their steam machineries need to survive. While low in number, they command the greatest weapons of the Late Pre-Deluge era, clanking war machines of brass and steel which lay low even the greatest armies.

The Voidborn:

Refugees from a land beyond the Outer Black, who arrived on silver ships to this place many thousands of years ago, during the time of Antiquity and Roam. They are frail but intelligent, and keep to themselves in humble city states, preserving their degenerating bloodline. Their ways have been lost, and so they make do with the technology of the natives, ironically being less advanced than some nations which they once would have eclipsed. They are a constant reminder that the Outer Dark teems with strange life, and only through the grace of the Gods does El-Enlil, our home, remain unscathed by the predations of the greatest of their number.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 01:12:53 am by squamous »
So I've got a Patreon now if you wanna get in on that: https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

=====================================================================

Terrors:

The world is full of things which plague man, and not just the forces of the Sea Gods. Since the dawn of time there have been monsters upon the land as much as the sea, though with the Great Flood that shook the foundations of man they have become far bolder, venturing out from their hidden lairs to walk openly below the baleful stars of the Outer Dark, and the laughing demons which cackle at our plight.

Vampires:

Vampires are beings that straddle the line between undeath and living parasitism, neither conventional cadaverous undead nor proper living thing, fueled by tangible blood like a living entity as much as the unnatural energies which animate most walking corpses. They are also an affliction unique to humanity, with no other breed of life suffering from vampiric undead. There are three main breeds of vampire, each with their own unique and terrible powers:

-The Strigoi are what most think of when they hear of vampires. Fiends that hide their monstrousness and lurk within the cities and villages, feeding on the unsuspecting sleeper and sowing terror in a community.
-The Nosferatu are cunning terrors that transform into a hideous monster every moonless night, hunting for prey to savage and devour before reassuming human form and fleeing to where the light doesn't shine. Most horrible is their bite, which will turn survivors into Strigoi should they survive it.
-True Vampires are those which actively sought out vampirism for its power and attained a terrible strength unknown to the other breeds. Possessed of great cunning and physical prowess, the true vampire often lives in isolated tomb-cities, surrounded by its kin and their lesser blood-thralls, fiendish mockeries of humans who were revived and transformed into flesh-eating abominations.

Werewolves:

Werewolves were the greatest weapon used by the pagans during the long war of extermination that was waged upon them. Using occult ritual, they created a curse that would target those without protection of the gods. In other words, those who would defile their temples. Using these unwitting fools as conduits, they transfigured them into carriers of a monstrous affliction that spread through biting, leading to plagues of werewolves which even now infest some parts of the countryside, and often around cities. It is said that during the full moon, the first few miles out of town are always the most dangerous, due to the high risk of werewolf attacks. In addition, while werewolves are forced to transform every full moon, they can voluntarily transform at will, and will almost always do so when attacked due to the sudden shock. Some werewolves keep to themselves and exist as hermits, while others go on rampages and revel in their horror. Either way, most seek their extermination.

The Fair Folk:

Beautiful and terrible, the Fair Folk are those who dwell in the "good places" of the world. Capricious and enigmatic, they will just as happily have you over for tea as hunt you for sport, and few who trespass in their lands without protection last more than a few days, if they are lucky. Most steer clear, but there are many who would pay a great deal for a few vials of unicorn blood. Some wonder if the fair folk became what they are out of self defense in the face of humanity's depredations, rather than having always been a thorn in our side.

The Chthonic Hordes:

Far below the half-flooded caves dwells a dimension at once below and beside us, where our darkest nightmares dwell and take horrible form. The Chthonic Ones can be likened to the demons of the Outer Dark in their nature, being able to be bound and used as weapons, as the Satyrs do to protect their settlements, naming them prisoner-kings bound to rule wisely the remnants of ancient Roam, the stampeding empire of yore which clashed with the land of the Stone God, as they cluster in their antediluvean city towers and guard their ancient secrets. Of course, the Chthonic Ones are not merciful, and if one were to disturb their realm by chance rather than design, they would invite a most horrible doom upon themselves.

The Demons of the Outer Dark:

Beyond the light of the blue sky is the Outer Darkness, a horrible realm where unclean things flit and float through the blackness of space between hostile worlds unknown to our reckonings. For the most part, luckily, the horrors of the above deign not to come down to our realms, but sometimes they do so, taking warped and terrible forms and abducting our very friends and neighbors to be converted into more of their kind. And these are but the least of the terrors beyond, so in a way it is lucky for us. They are horrible indeed, but still die at the end of a blade or the thunder of a musket's barrel.

Holy Weapons:

While not horrors in the sense that they are aligned opposite to man, it must be said that the undead constructs which the Saints construct are indeed horrifying against their foes. While the heretic necromancers bind the souls of the dead to their rotting bodies to control them, the Saints bind the willing souls of their penitent dead to massive constructs of flesh, clad in permanent iron armor and given great weapons to wreak havoc. Even Saints are mortal, and can thus sin. It is said that to atone for this sin, should they die unredeemed, they must serve their living brethren for many centuries, or even millennia, depending on the severity of their crimes. This existence is said to be extremely discomforting for its duration, so to face a Holy Weapon is to face a bound, tormented soul burning with redemptive zeal, and absolutely no concept of restraint.

The Terrible Lizards:

When the Great Cataclysm that ruined the watery world of the Sea Gods occurred, it brought with it new expanses of dry land, barren of life. But the horrible fecundity of living flesh is quick to grasp new opportunities, and soon all manner of nauseating proto-beasts slithered and crawled between ferns and under vast trees. In time, these lumbering, simple-minded reptiles would die out, replaced by the mammals which would eventually form Man and draw the attention of the Stone God and the other Great Gods. Such is the official history, anyway. The truth is that in the savage swamps, the Primordial Reptiles still exist, and woe unto those who stumble across such ancient atavistic predators of a world long gone. It is fortunate for man that as cold-blooded creatures these beasts must hibernate during the winter. At least then, the frontiersmen and hunters may bag what meagre game they catch in relative peace.

Chimeras:

Hideous creatures which combine the traits of many animals, the chimeras are a widely varied bunch which are rarely seen but native to almost all the lands of the world. Most resemble some variation of mammalian dragon, and are indeed often divided between the wyverns of the sky and the drakes of the land. Other variations exist as well, such as the gryphon and manticore. All are fearsome foes, though no smarter than any common animal.

New Angland:

It is said that the great empire of Angland ruled the waves in the decades before the old world collapsed, and their arrogance meant that specific retribution was enacted upon them as their empire was torn apart. The nobility of Angland, fearing the wrath of the Sea Gods, fled underground into the now-flooded, stagnant underworld, leaving their peasantry to carry on the Anglish legacy in various disparate nations. And they changed. The descendants of those who went underground barely look human, and breed terribly quickly, like maggots in a rotting wound. Woe betide those who stumble onto a nest of Old Anglishmen, for they are likely to be overwhelmed by the slithering hordes before they even realize the danger they are in.

The Great:

The Great is a polite term used to refer to those men and women who, for one reason or another, have exceeded humanity in size and strength. Ogres, giants, and titans in order of smallest to greatest, with even ogres being easily the size of an elephant. These huge brutes may seem like the next step in human evolution, but in reality they often live tragic, cursed lives. For with their bestowed size comes psychological changes which slow their minds and render them more emotional and irritable, and when their rage reaches a boiling point they can destroy everyone and everything around them. The life of one of the Great is a slow spiral into alienation and destruction, as all but the most disciplined inevitably lose control at some point. And when one has the power to level an entire village, making that mistake just once is enough to be branded a monster. But the ones that avoid making that fatal mistake, and remain prominent figures within society? Those are the ones that kings are made from.

=====================================================================================
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 05:15:16 am by squamous »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MAGIC

Aether is the uniting force between all things, the subtle interweaving fabric of existence that binds the other four elements together. By learning specific words and symbols, a mortal mind can actualize it into a form that shaped by their will, and gain great power over both life, death, and all in-between. Those who study this arcane art are universally termed 'practitioners', mysterious figures feared and respected across the continents.

It should be noted that not all schools are equal. Some are better at offensive measures, other at defense, others in more subtle ways. But even so, it should especially be noted that all practitioners can become immensely powerful, learning occult secrets that can instantly slay a target or devastate entire settlements. Fighting one honestly is often a fool's errand. Better to overwhelm them with masses of soldiers, or slit their throat in the night before they can invoke their power. Notably, the use of conventional learned magic requires some manner of grasping appendage to create the necessary forms and signs to call down power, and needs a tongue to call out the invocations that channel it into a usable form. Cut off a practitioner's hands or tongue, and he is no different than a normal mortal. If this happens, one's only hope is to seek the aid of another wizard who knows the healing arts, and perhaps have one's limbs restored.

-Phlogistomancy: The control over phlogiston, the element of fire. Users can conjure balls of fire and gouts of flame, as deadly to themselves as to their foes.
-Hydromancy: The control over the element of water. Users can conjure healing water or deadly shards of ice.
-Aeromancy: Control over the element of air. Users can call clouds and fogs, blast foes with gusts of wind, and move with incredible speed.
-Terramancy: Control over the element of earth. Users can summon stone and rarely metal to serve their will.
-Athermancy: Control over the element of aether. Users can summon remnants of humanity's scarred psyche in the form of specters, shades, and banshees.
-Umbramancy: The study of calling down beings of the Outer Dark, which are often sensitive to fluctuations of aetheric energy, which is much more dense in the Outer Dark than on planets.
-Demonomancy: The study of calling up Chthonic beings to briefly serve the user's will. Dangerous and unpredictable, but incredibly powerful in the right hands.
-Fortunamancy: The study of altering probability and fate. One can curse a foe with an increase likelihood to fail an attempt at a given task or bless an ally to have a better chance of success. There is, however, a rare chance of blowback that can empower enemies or curse yourself and allies.
-Virimancy: A type of flesh magic that focuses purely on improving the self, giving one the ability to heal their own wounds and even recover lost limbs, in addition to moving with increased speed and increasing their strength.
-Necromancy: A very powerful form of magic that lets the user control both corporeal and ghostly undead. Some can even reanimate foes into stronger forms like all-around improved revenants, fast and twitchy ghouls, durable patchworks, and powerfully strong wights.
-Psychomancy: A subtle type of magic that can negatively and positively influence moods, allowing the user to shape the atmosphere of a location to his liking or drive foes into paroxysms of fear and depression.

Technology:

Metalworking:

Due to advances in metalworking, steel is the most commonly used metal for arms and armor, with other metals going unused due to their weaker strength.

Armor:

Most human nations make use of full plate armor, with other civilizations such as the pagans using chainmail and brigandines. Servants of the fire god wear lamellar or mail-and-plate armor rather than full plate. The remnants of the First Civilization make use of magical warding discs, items about the size of a dinner plate and worn on the chest. These warding discs absorb the energy of blows but are weaker towards the extremities. A good rule of thumb is that the hands, feet, and head are vulnerable while the arms, torso, and legs are protected.

Full plate armor is a rather complex set of items. For full protection you will need:

-Helm: A full helmet. It covers everything but the face.
-Visor/Falling Buffe: A mask intended to be worn along with a helmet, but can also be worn on its own.
-Cuirass: The part of the armor that protects the chest. Can protect more depending on tasset length.
-Legplates: Armor that protects the legs.
-Mitons/Gauntles: Armor that protects the arms up to the shoulder.
-Sabatons: Armor that protects the feet of the wearer.

Combining all of these results in full plate. There are also other armor pieces

-Helmets: A more simplistic type of head protection. Things like kettle helms, nasal helms, and other such things fit under this category.
-Brigandines: Armor made of small plates of metal, usually in the form of a tunic, coat, or vest.
-Chain/Scale/Ring-mail: Types of armor made from small overlapping bits of metal.
-Mail-And-Plate: A mixture of mail and plate components used by southern nations.
-Bracers/Greaves: Armor that protects the forearms and shins.

Note that due to the ubiquitousness of steel and advanced metalworking, everyone is on the same level when it comes to what technologies are used to make armor. Enemies you fight will often wear full plate that makes them all but immune to slashing attacks. As such, you should make sure your soldiers are equipped with blunt weapons that can damage an enemy through his armor if you attempt to combat invading knights.

That said, the far north and south make use of other types of armor for various reasons. The north uses chain and scale mail along with basic helmets, while the south uses loose mail-and-plate or lamellar tunics that emphasis mobility and heat dissipation.

Handgonnes:

Handgonnes are primitive firearms mass-produced by nearly all nations to some degree. Ranging from gun barrels on poles to musket-like arquebuses to even small hand-held cannons, these clunky but dangerous gunpowder weapons are a powerful weapon in any nation's arsenal. Handgonnes use the handgunner skill. Some nations retain the ability to produce advanced firearms from before the deluge, such as muskets, blunderbusses, and carbines. Rarer still are powerful pneumatic handguns with an even more powerful explosive force behind them.

Weapons:

Melee weapons of all sorts are naturally ubiquitous. Due to the equally ubiquitous nature of plate armor and steelworking, most soldiers prefer weapons that rely on blunt or puncturing damage to bust through an enemy's defense or break the bones behind it. Slashing weapons like swords are reserved for beasts or used by the most skilled of fighters. Using the right weapon for the right enemy is absolutely vital.

Vehicles:

The world may be ruined, but many of its secrets persist. This includes the means to create and maintain self-propelled vehicles that traverse both land and air. But while they can be crafted, this process is deeply time-intensive and prevents mass manufacture on a scale that would revolutionize society, and so self-propelled transports remain the domain of individual artisans. Most civilized nations maintain a few hundred such craft, each a carefully maintained and quite valuable asset used to both transport people and goods and destroy foes on the field of battle. There are four main types of vehicle one may encounter in the known continents:

Landships:

Landships are slow, wheeled vehicles resembling seafaring vessels clad in a protective iron shell. They come in a variety of sizes and roles, from the smaller land boat to the massive land barge, along with light and heavy dreadnoughts that serve as artillery and siegebreakers. Most come equipped with retractable spikes to deter close-range attackers along with mounted cannons, ballistae, or both. While they are quite powerful, their slow speed makes them vulnerable to surprise attacks, and they can find themselves outmaneuvered if they aren't careful. A landship's strength is its overwhelming attack power relative to its size compared to other vessels, and functions best either in large, overpowering fleets or supported by bodyguards of infantry and/or cavalry.

Walkers:

Walkers are an alternate evolution of the landship focused on speed and maneuverability. They have sleeker, unarmored hulls, and instead of wheels make use of complex wooden leg systems which can propel them at surprising speeds. These vessels are moved by a mixture of steam power and sails. Due to their lighter weight, they tend to carry less armaments on them, but make up for it with their ability to avoid enemy gun and cannonfire as they strafe their opponent before retreating faster than infantry or landships can follow, typically supported by cavalry to counter the horsemen an enemy may try to pursue them with. Like landships they make use of cannons and ballistae, with a few using catapults as well. Due to lacking heavy armor, walkers can also traverse water as easily as land.

Airships:

Specifically, an airship is a type of flying vessel which uses balloons filled with a lighter than air gas to levitate. These vessels vary from single-balloon scout vessels to proper airships, though even the largest are smaller than the landships on the ground. Due to the importance of protecting their gas balloons, they tend to be armored in a segmented shell of iron, typically far thinner than that of their landship counterparts but better than nothing. They are the slowest type of flying vehicle but can generally pack on more firepower compared to other variants. Both cannons and ballistae can be mounted on these vehicles, to deadly effect.

Wingships:

Wingships differ from airships through using flapping wings of canvas to generate lift rather than gas. They tend to be even smaller than airships but can reach much higher speeds. Only the largest wingships dare use cannons, with the smallest using arbalests and mid-sized ones just using ballistae. Like their ground-bound cousins, the walkers, wingships rely on strafing and maneuverability to win the day.

Land Engines:

Land Engines are ancient relics from the Pre-Deluge era, used by only a few of the more established and storied civilizations. They are much faster, more durable, and more powerful than normal vehicles, their steel armor repelling even the strongest blows from a knight's weapon. Only volleys of gunfire can break through their armor, preferably from the cannons of an opposing landship though infantry may stand a chance if the situation is dire. They are also armed with repeating cannons and ballistae, giving them a much higher rate of fire that can shred specific targets.

Air Engines:

Another Pre-Deluge relic, air engines are fast, agile vehicles armored in a strong, light-weight metal. Using their speed, they can easily outmaneuver most conventional flying vessels and obliterate them in a hail of cannonfire. Despite their age and refinement, they are by necessity lightly-armored and even the primitive land and airships of the modern day can bring them down with a few well-aimed hits. Air engine fleets are valuable glass cannons which should be used to overwhelm foes with lightning-fast raids that bring the advantages of the vessel's speed and rate of fire to bear without undue risk.

Golems:

Certain types of golem are built into the shape of vessels rather than men, given flesh of clay and armor of iron. While archaic and in some ways simplistic, they are still quite fearsome and can stand against the landships of the current era with ease, and lay low attacking foes with blows from their mighty limbs. Moreso than most, the golem-ships are well-built for close combat, something their commanders are keen to take advantage of.

General Tips:

-Most vessels are fragile in melee, despite some having heavier protection than others. Avoiding being surrounded by infantry should be your top priority as a captain or pilot.
-Cannons can fire twice as fast as ballistae and do blunt damage. Ballistae do piercing damage. In general, the former works better against armored infantry and the latter works better against unarmored targets and large monsters.
-Larger military vehicles can be divided into three categories: standard, artillery, and lancer variations. Standard heavy vehicles and warships use an even mix of ballistae and cannons while artillery variants utilize multiple guns to fire large salvos, and lancer variants make use of multiple ballistae with few or no cannons.
-While landships and airships rely on full-bodied iron plating, and the walkers and wingships eschew it, the latter groups actually have more well protected engines, making them out of steel rather than crude iron.
-All styles of landship have a special heavy vehicle used to maintain both land and air vessels. These vehicles will restore any vessel that moves adjacent to them, and can also repair themselves if damaged. While expensive, it is well worth it to have one in your possession.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:09:28 pm by squamous »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

reserved

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Random Writing Stuff That's Also Lore But Not As Relevant To Gameplay

When the tribes which migrated to the peninsula found the mountain-sized titans which roamed it, they used their ancient sorcery to bind the seven beasts and build their cities upon them, urging them forward so that they would lay waste to the lands of their foes. From this was forged the living empire of Roam, the ever-moving capital and its vast hordes of mounted soldiers which traversed the length of its empire, following the many roads flattened out by the city beasts. Simply by following these massive paths one would eventually stumble upon a titan city, leading to the phrase "All roads lead to Roam." This was the empire that was shattered due to its overextension and hedonism after countless centuries of war with the peoples of the Stone God, whose survivors became the Satyrs and bound Chthonic beasts as prisoner-kings to protect them in the city-towers they created. They act as neutral purveyors of luxury goods, protected by their demonic guardians and their armies of enslaved demons.

The explorers who first arrived on a certain island were awed at the crystalline pyramids which dotted it and their seemingly fractal designs, like bismuth. The head of the expedition named the place "The Land Of Many Angles" which eventually became shortened to Angleland and then Angland, which would become a power in its own right when the first of the royal family found out just what lurked inside the pyramids and brokered a pact with it. Angland would become a great power some decades before The Flood, conquering a great deal of the new world with its army of eldritch sorcerors. It is said that the denizens of Angland still lurk within the flooded caves, waiting for the chance to restart the empire.

What are the Great Gods?
Each one was a being of incredible power that has shaped the world's culture, but none have been active for very long, for the most part leaving the world to its own devices. In truth, many worship lesser gods instead, some which exist, some which are fabrication, and others deceivers. But the Great Gods are most certainly real, though quite inscrutable. The common theory among scholars is that they are akin to a force of nature, sweeping in from the unfathomable blackness of the Outer Dark, quasi-benevolent rather than predatory, bringing power and knowledge and leaving fanatical followers in their wake. What is their aim? Could this world be a mere backwater in a much larger game being played out? Or were these events simply ships passing in the night, celestial travelers briefly pausing their endless journey to dispense a trifle of their wisdom before moving on? None can say.

An Official Abridged Timeline Of The World's History:

My timeline so far. I don't have the exact dates sussed out yet though.

>c. way in the past: The planet is formed by chaotic plasm and matter tumbling around the roaring sun, coalescing into a semi-molten hellscape from which the Chthonic Beings first emerge, crawling into the underground to escape the predators of the Outer Dark.
>c. 100,000 years ago: Planet cools enough to form life, there is no land, world becomes populated by a sprawling oceanic civilization and its large pantheon of gods, which fell from the Outer Dark and seeded the ocean with life to form a grand pattern of celestial harmony. The Chthonic Beings of the underground engage in perpetual war with them.
>c. 80,000 years ago: A massive cataclysm creates the continents as we know them. The gods of the sea lose much of their power and go mad as their harmonious pattern is disrupted. Fish crawl onto land and become great and terrible reptiles.
>c. 50,000 years ago: The Terrible Reptiles are the dominant terrestrial species. The Green God of terrestrial nature manifests itself and roams the planet as a giant sauropod with ten heads.
>c. 30,000 years ago: A new god from the Outer Dark lands on the planet. This god, Fungus, spreads itself across the world and integrates into its ecosystem for unknown ends.
>c. 20,000 years ago: The climate cools. Most dinosaurs evolve into mammals. Humans evolve from the Tyrant King, the most fearsome of all (which is why they dominate the land to this day). Some dinosaurs remain, dwelling in remote swamps and jungles.
>c. 10,000 years ago: The Stone God discovers a tribe of men and teaches them occultism and agriculture, becoming the first great civilization from which they claim all others spread.
>c. 8000 years ago: The world is teeming with many different human cultures. Great strides are made in the magical and scientific arts. The era of Antiquity begins.
>c. 6000 years ago: Tribes of nomads discover the Seven Living Mountains and form the empire of Roam, the greatest civilization the world has ever known. It soon becomes a rival to the First Civilization, which has ruled unchallenged for four thousand years due to its unparalleled magical might.
>c. 5000 years ago:  A new god, the Corpse God, manifests and sends an aspect of itself in mortal form to preach the virtues of holy undeath, only to be crucified by the forces of Roam and the Stone God, who saw it as heresy in a rare moment of agreement. He rose again and taught the tenets of sacred necromancy to his flock before ascending to the Outer Dark, allegedly forming the North Star. His followers migrate to the mountains to build fortified nation-states.
>c. 4000 years ago: The immutably stagnant First Civilization and the destructively hedonistic Empire of Roam destroy each other, leaving remnants of their titanic nations strewn across the planet. Much of the southern continents are turned to blasted wastes as they are used to fuel the war sorceries of the First Civilization. The people of the First Civilization are forced to live as diaspora and the Empire of Roam isolates itself into mile-high towers, slowly mutating into goat-legged men under the influence of the Sinful God. Others become gnostic hermits living in temples, becoming the first cyclopes. The era of Antiquity ends.
>c. 3000 years ago: Civilization recovers, but never unifies as it did during the old days. A thousand years of warring kingdoms and petty empires sprawl across this time.
>c. 2000 years ago: The southern wastelands breed a hardy and vicious culture of men, who are united under a prophet of a being known as the Fire God. Using its teachings, he civilizes his peers and revolutionizes the wastelander's way of life. Those who deny him are forced into the caves, where they become the Div.
>c. 1000 years ago: Human followers of the Green God are persecuted by followers of the Stone, Fire, and Corpse gods for their worship of a being not aligned with civilization. They implore the Green God for help, who blesses them with new bestial bodies of great strength. The wolfmen are born.
>c. 800 years ago: Angland, or the Land of Many Angles, rises to prominence as a great empire that rules the waves with its peerless navy, ruling directly or by proxy over many nations.
>c. 100 years ago: The Sea Gods finally regain enough of their power to flood the land, destroying much of civilization in a great deluge. The continents begin to shift and the world falls into chaos. The Abyssals invade the land and the Sea Children begin to appear as humans seek to worship the Sea Gods. Angland falls and its aristocracy retreats underground, becoming the New Anglanders. The Lake Goddess manifests and gains her first worshippers.
>Year 0 of the Fall From Grace: The world begins to recover. World Generation starts.

Human Lines of Succession From the Great Civilizations:

The First Civilization brought most of the south and east of the known world under its heel, while the Roaming Empire took the northern continents for itself. The Successor States were peoples originally existing as client states of Roam. Angland was a periphery colony of Roam that would have become the next great empire had it not been destroyed by the Deluge, with the humans not becoming New Anglanders ending up as the Imperial Diaspora. Meanwhile the various southern peoples that would eventually have their homelands destroyed (and turn to worship of the Fire God, becoming the sultanates known today) in the final era of Antiquity can trace a fair amount of their culture back to the First Tribe. The northern peoples were too far to from the two great powers during Antiquity to be properly subjugated, but served as mercenaries to both sides during the great war.

The World As Is Currently Known:

The region of the world the game takes place in is known locally as the Tapering Isles. A region of flooded land that is subject to peculiar currents and storms that move the cold winds of the north and the blistering heat of the south closer than seems natural, the Isles are a unique place where the southern, northern, and central cultures can exist within relatively close distance from one another. It is the westernmost part of the Northern Continents, and quite vast, such that much of it is uncharted. The hot and cold ebbs and flows like the tide over centuries, and what is tropical some eras may be temperate the next. As such, the land changes rapidly, and most settlements rarely last more than a few centuries before needing to migrate or adapt. It is in this chaotic turmoil that you are thrust into.

Benefits and Disadvantages of the Consecrated Undead:

The worshipers of the Corpse God would like to tell you that their own undead are superior to the templates they were modeled off of in every way, but the truth is that this is not entirely correct. Yes, the consecrated vampire merely feeds on blood to increase his power and is not dependent on it, and yes the consecrated mummy exists without the hate for life its conventional counterpart does, but in the end there are several major weaknesses that other undead lack. The first is their reliance on sacred oil. Sacred oil is a magical substance said to be cultured from the blood of the Undying Prince himself, collected during His crucifixion. Consecrated undead use this to power their unnatural existence, replacing their blood with the stuff (and of course, they expire should it all be drained from their body. While it can be regenerated, it needs to be done in a meditative state, meaning that the consecrated undead need to sleep. It also means they can become exhausted if they exert themselves too quickly. In addition, most consecrated undead tend to come with strange quirks and behaviors due to their existence as being born undead (imagine being an unmoving, barely self-aware doll for twelve years after being born, hand-fed sacred oil daily, as your parents wait for you to start screaming, after which your real education can begin). Despite their persuasion, things are not as clear cut as the faithful would like. That said, the consecrated undead are recognized as non-hostile presences and while their existence is found as unnerving most nobles will turn a blind eye to their creation and habitation within their borders and within the borders of the nations themselves. It certainly helps that the followers of the Corpse God are both immune to conventional necromancy and strongly opposed to it.

What the Green God Wants:

In cities far away from the true wildlands, there is often a certain romanticism when one thinks of nature. When one thinks of the druids and the forests, they imagine kind men in green robes, communing with the wilds and in tune with the natural world.

This is not the truth of things.

Nature is selfish. Nature is cruel. A bear doesn't care about anything beyond itself and its wants, nor does a rabbit. It has beauty, but only in the eyes of sapient beings who can appreciate it. To bond with nature is to reject civilization entirely. Language, clothing, symbols, these are the products of civilization. When you think of the color of the sky, do you think of the sky? Or do you think the word blue, the symbolic blue, the four black squiggles that, in your mind, represent blue? To animals, the sky is the sky, nothing more. This symbolism, this distance from the natural existence, is what the Green God detests the most. Were it given unlimited power, reason would be stripped from the minds of all beings and we would once again live as animals devoid of conscious thought. But it is not omnipotent, and so must work to crumble the cities through servants. Druids. Men and women who forsake civilization in favor of the freedom of the wilds. They loathe themselves for speaking, for knowing, and every year they know a little less. They are pleased with this. Every druid dreams of being reincarnated as a huge bear or hunting cat, red-fanged and full-bellied.

It should be noted that while the land is wild and free, the seas are less so. Though they seem chaotic to outsiders, and indeed they have their own food chains and selfishness, in the end all actions taken by the denizens of the sea are in some way designed to benefit the Sea Gods. It is like a great machine, albeit one that was broken long ago, when the first continents burst out of the land and destroyed their intricate workings. It is no wonder that they are insane.

The Elements And The Soul:

The universe is made out of five elements: Air, Water, Earth, Phlogiston, and Aether.

The first four, assembled in different proportions, make matter as is understood. But Aether is the fifth state, the realm of thoughts and souls. It infuses every living thing and much that isn't, which is why spontaneous generation happens. Maggots hatch from eggs laid from flies, but when rotting meat is left alone, the aether responds to the ambient ecosystem and may feel the desire "I must consume raw meat" from nearby maggots, which causes a reaction which results in maggots forming from the meat as the aether reflects those desires.

Intelligent minds and souls can be considered as complex, sapient knots of aether piloting bodies which house them. But when they die, this knot vanishes to parts unknown, or disperses (none can say for certain, it is the great mystery), or remains through sheer will, becoming a spirit (but most spirits are just psychic echoes on the aether). But most importantly, it also leaves an empty vessel perfectly attuned for housing an "aetheric knot".

Necromancy, for example, is programming a simpler, non-sapient aetheric knot within a proper host body, resulting in a construct which obeys the will of the caster. It follows a flowchart of commands as dictated by the necromancer. On the other hand, undead created through natural forces often obey the base instincts of the body, mindlessly wandering and aping life, often leading to hostility.

Any creature with a capacity for subjective experience naturally generates an aetheric knot. Flesh evolved to grow organs that would house one, because having a true soul to pilot it is evolutionarily advantageous. Lesser creatures are connected to the aether, but don't have a knot of self-awareness to guide their flesh vessel, merely existing as biological automatons.

Planets of the solar system:

The solar system holds 13 planets orbiting the sun. They were once worshipped as gods during a time of heresy, before it was proven they were nothing but spheres of inorganic matter, unlike the real gods, who as all know dwell in space, or the realm of souls, or within the planets themselves. Some say one could be a god, but as none have declared themselves as such, it is seen as pointless conjecture.

-El-Mahrabis: Barren planet of stone and metal
-El-Jetai: Yellow planet of hateful clouds and alien life.
-El-Raphtel: Red planet of countless ruins from a bygone era, before even the Sea Gods. Perhaps things lurk in the ruins.
-El-Enlil: Home planet of mankind and where this story takes place. Large and bountiful.
-El-Durhavesh: Purpled continents and blue seas. Perhaps another home of man, if the age of astral sail were ever to come again...
-El-Borad: The first planet of gas. Massive and tempestuous, with six great dark blue whirling spots amid its streaked lighter cerulean.
-El-Ishar: Planet of green seas and gray stone. Feared and little spoken of.
-El-Bal: Black-stoned and red-skied. Not much is known of this place.
-El-Suryanrahu: A green planet like El-Enlil, but small with little water and much ice.
-El-Puhad: The second planet of gas, brownish-red in coloration with a single great spot.
-El-Immancon: The third planet of gas, white and golden-ringed. Its faint glow is reassuring to some, eerie to others. Three great golden whirls can be seen on its exterior.
-El-Katal: A great silver blotch can be spied atop its rocky surface with the best telescopes left behind by antiquity. So it is written.
-El-Mors: Dead planet of alien necropoli.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:40:48 pm by squamous »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Dwarf Fortress: Fall From Grace 1.1 (Horror Mod)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 08:10:42 pm »

An update for you all

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 11:56:04 pm »

Most underrated modder DF ever had!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:11:09 am by Lidku »

kriv02

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 10:12:50 pm »

Do you plan on making the non-human races playable in fortress mode?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 11:42:35 pm »

Do you plan on making the non-human races playable in fortress mode?

Maybe at a later date. I'm torn between keeping them unplayable and thus somewhat capable of retaining their exotic mystique and having them playable for the sake of different fort styles.

kriv02

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 11:51:49 pm »

Makes sense. I'd fall on the fort variety side, if that makes any difference, but the mod is already quite impressive as it is.

Leonxnoel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 12:36:38 am »

Yet another amazing mod with a really intriguing setting, squamous. Keep it up, im really looking forward to seeing more updates from this one, the whole gothic thing with dark gods reminds somewhat of Bloodborne. Fear the old blood.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 07:10:26 am »

Ooooo, this mod looks good! ... I'm not even going to ask the $64,000 question.
- "The spinning cabbage strikes the militia captain in the lower body, but there is no force!" DF
- Ingiz Etesoddom (dwarf surgeon) "Is deliberately cruel to those unfortunate enough to be subject to their sadism." ... DF
- "And people call those of us who prefer simple ASCII style graphics "elitist""... Shonai_Dweller
- Olon Lolorthunen:  "I've been out in the sunshine again after a long time away.  I crawl with such unbearable loathing!" ... DF

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 02:59:17 pm »

Ooooo, this mod looks good! ... I'm not even going to ask the $64,000 question.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. If that question is "do you intend to update this mod to the current version" then you'll be pleased to know I just did. Otherwise hit me up.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Fall From Grace 1.2
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01:35 pm »

You were correct about the "question" and thank you for the update  :)

I love the music!

Did you customize the default embark profile, and if not, do you have a recommended profile?

Is it correct to assume the Marksdorf skill is used for all the guns?

(edit)

In general, do you have any quick tips for play?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:04:26 pm by Uthimienure »
- "The spinning cabbage strikes the militia captain in the lower body, but there is no force!" DF
- Ingiz Etesoddom (dwarf surgeon) "Is deliberately cruel to those unfortunate enough to be subject to their sadism." ... DF
- "And people call those of us who prefer simple ASCII style graphics "elitist""... Shonai_Dweller
- Olon Lolorthunen:  "I've been out in the sunshine again after a long time away.  I crawl with such unbearable loathing!" ... DF
Pages: [1] 2 3 4