Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Cliffs of Koganatol -- A Completely Normal Fortress in the Land of Portent  (Read 6338 times)

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile

So, I'm getting back into DF after about two years (the last time I played was, in fact, the abortive succession game of Bristlewalled), and I decided to just do... a normal fortress. No evil biomes, no self-imposed challenges, just a perfectly normal embark and playthrough. Or as normal as it ever gets in DF.

Because I have some friends who are interested in DF but aren't currently playing themselves, I've been documenting my experience in screenshots and short writeups over on imgur. Since I'm already doing that, I figured I might as well as share it over here as well. I will probably be posting additional narrative tidbits in here outside of imgur -- dwarf diaries, rundowns of what's going on in legends mode, that kind of thing. The first 5ish parts are already online and available for you to peruse.

This is the story of Koganatol, the great equatorial fortress on the coast. Highlights include:

• A dwarf is killed by a windmill
  • The heroic stand of the Crystalline Actions
  • Goblins do something useful for once
  • A human man who cannot be killed by arrows
  • A complete lack of any iron
  • A God of Painting. Just painting. Nothing else.
  • The Captain of the Guard is arrested
  • Operation PUMPJOB
  • The queen worships the goddess of death
  • Everyone is related to the first necromancer in history
  • A suicidal giant
  • A very mean crab
  • I am very bad at obsidian casting
  • The Blackspires

CHAPTERS
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:09:21 am by ViridiLupus »

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile

Noting here that Part 6 is now up, wherein we negotiate an end to a civil war, begin work on the pump stack, fortify our surface defenses, and kill a lot of goblins. Also, a surprising arrival who may spell doom for the whole fortress.

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Interstitial 1 -- A Meeting of the Central Executive Council
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:56:17 pm »

After I posted Part 6 last night, I went ahead and did a dump of the legends info to get a better idea of what's been going on in the world since embark. I also took the time to really go through and study the relationships between the dwarfs, and learned a few surprising things. Using my newly acquired knowledge, I went ahead and wrote a bit of interstitial "narrative" prose. I'll be doing these bits from time to time, describing the day-to-day life of the fortress from the viewpoint of its inhabitants.

This one is the minutes from a special meeting of the Central Executive Council -- the "working nobles" who actually do stuff and run the fortress (in fiction, at least). The meeting takes place just before/immediately after the end of Part 6.

Spoiler: Interstitial 1 (click to show/hide)

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Part 7 and Interstitial 2
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:24:51 am »

So, a couple points of order:
1) I misread part of the wiki and assumed that becoming a mountainhome removed your ability to receive dwarven caravans. It actually just removes your ability to make trade agreements, which is basically the same thing for me. Still, I went ahead and wrote another interstitial piece to explain away this misunderstanding in-universe (and to add to the NARRATIVE)
2) Pump stacks are literally the worst holy crap why are they like this

Anyways, Part 7 is here. The interstitial piece is in the spoiler below, and takes place early on during Part 7.

Spoiler: Interstitial 2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:23:30 pm by ViridiLupus »

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile

So we had our very first game crash today, which cost us about a day's worth of progress. In the interest of maintaining a decent pace of output, I'm tossing up Part 8 still -- you can find it here. I'll be redoing the parts that we lost as closely as possible, and picking up Part 9 from there.

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Interstitial 3 and Part 9
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 01:48:25 am »

We're back! This one took a while, since I had a QM midterm to deal with earlier this week. To start with, here's the link to Part 9. Not a ton of action in this one -- just a goblin siege, some general housekeeping, an attack by a giant, working on the surface defenses, and continuing to melt down every scrap of metal we can get our hands on.

Also, I've got another interstitial segment for y'all. This one takes place near the end of Part 9, and is mostly setting things up for our next project.

Spoiler: Interstitial 3 (click to show/hide)

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Interstitial 4 and Part 10
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 06:27:54 pm »

Another double update. The interstitial piece is a meeting between the fortress architects and the Queen, and is following up on the previous piece as well as laying out the narrative foundation for our next major project. It takes place during/right before the opening of Part 10, which you can find here. The interstitial piece is, as always, in the spoiler below.

Spoiler: Interstitial 4 (click to show/hide)

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Part 11
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 01:52:24 pm »

Part 11 is now up. We deal with a goblin siege, fix the walls, start work on the foundations of the Blackspires, and deal with another goblin siege. Also, Onget is fired from his position as tavern keeper after an unfortunate death. Read it here.

Next up, we're going to try out a mission and see if we can't take the fight to the goblins.

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Part 12
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 06:10:57 am »

Part 12 is up now. Wherein we continue work on the Blackspires, crash stonesense a bunch of times, fight a cyclops, and finally get around to building that surface inn. Oh, also, we start taking over the world.

Read it here, or check the link up in the topic.