Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 4, Phase 1)  (Read 10107 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 0, Phase 1)
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2019, 01:00:21 am »

Mk.1A Anti-Material Rifle
Whilst as it currently is, the Mk1 Rifle is a serviceable weapon. However, with the implication of armoured power suits on the Horizon, this is likely to rapidly be obsoleted by increasing amounts of armour. To attempt to head off any growth for the time being, a up-scaling project is initiated on the Mk.1 rifle, with a variant being designed around a new, 13mm round intended to be able to punch through an armoured environment suit effectively. With the addition of a 4x magnification scope to allow the user to effectively aim the now larger weapon, this rifle should be a potent reminder for the Smiths to go back to the hole they crawled out from.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2019, 04:23:59 pm »

Revision suggestion: APA-1 Rifle Grenade Attachment

In anticipation of greater armored threats in the future, our foot soldiers will need a reliable way to engage heavily armored targets with their primary weapon. This modification should be the first step in giving us a reliable way to remove heavily armored targets from the equation, with further modifications allowing it to effectively engage light armored targets if the enemy moves down an unexpected path. Modifications to the muzzle allow a 400 mm 550 gram fin-stabilized rifle grenade to be attached to the end, with a 50-400 meter sight ladder allowing it to be effectively aimed. The grenade uses a bullet trap to propel itself to the target, allowing a standard round to be chambered for its use. It should be quick to fire, a soldier needs only to place the grenade, chamber a round, aim, and shoot. The grenade itself is a shaped charged that detonates upon nose contact, ideally allowing it to pierce through 350mm+ armor or double that penetration in concrete.

Further (not in this revision) modifications could allow for more grenade types, such as fragmentation to deal with lower-armored targets.

With power armor in the equation, weight becomes less of an issue while armor becomes a major issue. While modern rifles are basically all capable of firing rifle grenades, 40mm support/under-barrel is generally preferred. Power armor generally means we'll need heavier rounds than what a modern soldier would expect to use, we can theoretically ignore the recoil of the grenade and fire this from the shoulder, and we can have every soldier carry multiple grenades thanks to their enhanced strength. Just for a general explanation of why I picked this over a grenade launcher attachment :V

Quote from: VOTEBOX
APA-1 Rifle Grenade Attachment (2): Stirk, Tyrant Leviathan

Do not get me wrong, I love a big ass gun mk1 Rifle is honestly promising.)
But I see this as a way to get the foot in door with alternative ammo types (grenades to boot)

And it enhances our main bad ass Rifle which is already solid gold.

My own ideas on future stuff is a Attack form of our resource as acenergy gun ( deciding to try to revive red System.)

Side that just bigger and better armors.

Hmm. There is water. : Thinking Of amphibious Power armor.:

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2019, 05:46:21 pm »

Tie breaker saves the day!

I think all our power armor is amphibious, the main issue would be firing weapons underwater. We could make specialty bullets or weapons for the situation, adding extra mobility underwater is also an option but seems less viable given that there is only one combat zone where open underwater combat is preferred.

Speaking of, time to spitball for our next design phase!

"Warrior" M1 General Purpose Power Armor (GPPA): Our current suits are not capable of fighting effectively in a war, in either the "power" or "armor" fronts. We need a new suit of armor that can be issued to every single soldier, capable of resisting enemy fire while maintaining mobility, visibility, and increased strength. The first step in this goal is replacing the bubble helmet with an armored alternative, a metal helmet with two reinforced eye slits filled with strong transparent material. In the case the eye's protective material can be penetrated by enemy fire, the soldiers will be expected to shield their eyes with their forearm when they are likely to take hits as they maneuver to cover. To such effect, the top side of the grieves will have increased thickness allowing them to act as a shield. Overall armor thickness is increased, hopefully to the point it can take multiple hits from enemy weapons at combat ranges. The exoskeleton is internalized, taking the increased weight of the armor on to itself. More of the battery input is to be directed into powering the exoskeleton, in order to increase its output and strength. We currently have no plans on utilizing the internal power source, so they're should be no harm in redirecting it to the suit itself. Users are expected to have a full range of movement, and should at a minimum be able to bring weapon sights to eye level.

Pretty basic design that our grunts should be able to use for cheap, we get 2 ore so bit of extra metally bits shouldn't break the bank. I considered putting some short-barreld shotguns onto the back of the gloves, but decided to wait on that for the time being. Always revisions!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2019, 05:56:15 pm »

As for aqua stuff. Thought of a jet boost system that is sequences air jets in key armor joints. So on land get a jump boost, in water better movement.

As for the RED system. It’s guns that fire high heat energy bursts. Appears to be energy but like napalm in jet bursts or even a congealed ball of the stuff. Said ammo is bio gel that can be super heated and the stuff grows back at a rapid pace, so as long not completely depleting ammo, it will fill back up.

Keep in mind I do not vote for my own ideas. Just throwing it out there and post at a point if interested.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 09:09:10 pm »

Quote from: Tyrant Leviathan
Do not get me wrong, I love a big ass gun mk1 Rifle is honestly promising.)
But I see this as a way to get the foot in door with alternative ammo types (grenades to boot)

And it enhances our main bad ass Rifle which is already solid gold.

My own ideas on future stuff is a Attack form of our resource as an energy gun ( deciding to try to revive red System.)
Yeah, the problem with rifle grenades is that it's... not really an alternative ammo type, and they're going to be difficult to use in close quarters. Granted, the AMR would be too, but it would have the ability to repeatedly fire before it needs a reload to possibly better effect on the enemy.

Kinda need to balance the potential applications in the future with our actual material needs now, which the rifle grenade doesn't solve. We need to shore up our close-quarters abilities first and foremost there.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2019, 09:34:18 pm »

As for aqua stuff. Thought of a jet boost system that is sequences air jets in key armor joints. So on land get a jump boost, in water better movement.

Right, the main problem with aqua stuff is that we have two water terrains, and one of them is the sewers where aqua stuff is kinda limited.

Yeah, the problem with rifle grenades is that it's... not really an alternative ammo type, and they're going to be difficult to use in close quarters. Granted, the AMR would be too, but it would have the ability to repeatedly fire before it needs a reload to possibly better effect on the enemy.

Kinda need to balance the potential applications in the future with our actual material needs now, which the rifle grenade doesn't solve. We need to shore up our close-quarters abilities first and foremost there.

There isn't really any viable way to turn our Revision action into close range firepower. We could try attaching a shotgun to the bottom of our rifle or something, but it isn't like what we could do would be enough to give us dominance at close range. I already explained why I don't agree with the "we need close weaponry" philosophy. We don't really know *what* our needs are right now. We know they have shotguns, but with three Design turns they could have anything else too. Hyper-focusing on their default equipment seems silly.

We can bring back the shotgun gloves if you really want.

Edit: Speaking of forgetting things we could mod the SMG into something usable lol I forgot about that thing. Then we’d have the close range firepower you want, upping the caliber or making AP rounds would probably help.

Dirty Bullets: The main drawbacks of the Dirty Gun are its low penetrating power and tendency to jam, the former of which becomes a large problem when dealing with the more advanced power armor the enemy will field if they arn't idiots. By replacing the standard ammunition with copper-plated solid steel bullets with a hot load, we should expect it to pierce enemy armor at reasonable distances, or weakpoints on especially hardened targets.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:03:14 pm by Stirk »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2019, 10:48:18 pm »

Honestly, we could to an up-scaling of the SMG's round and modify the rounds it fires to be AP. That would actually give it some utility in close quarters.

And we do know a basic overview of our needs. While we don't have anything specific, we do have broad categories to cover which is enough for the first few turns.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2019, 06:28:28 pm »

You need at least one or two more votes before I'm willing to call it
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 02:15:17 pm »

Because I feel I've waited long enough, I'm calling the vote for the rifle grenades so we can keep this moving.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 02:56:26 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 1, Phase 1)
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 03:54:34 pm »

Revision suggestion: APA-1 Rifle Grenade Attachment

In anticipation of greater armored threats in the future, our foot soldiers will need a reliable way to engage heavily armored targets with their primary weapon. This modification should be the first step in giving us a reliable way to remove heavily armored targets from the equation, with further modifications allowing it to effectively engage light armored targets if the enemy moves down an unexpected path. Modifications to the muzzle allow a 400 mm 550 gram fin-stabilized rifle grenade to be attached to the end, with a 50-400 meter sight ladder allowing it to be effectively aimed. The grenade uses a bullet trap to propel itself to the target, allowing a standard round to be chambered for its use. It should be quick to fire, a soldier needs only to place the grenade, chamber a round, aim, and shoot. The grenade itself is a shaped charged that detonates upon nose contact, ideally allowing it to pierce through 350mm+ armor or double that penetration in concrete.

Further (not in this revision) modifications could allow for more grenade types, such as fragmentation to deal with lower-armored targets.
(3+5) 8 Average
The APA rifle Grenade turns out to be a relatively easy thing to throw together. Make an explosive head, add a fuse, create the necessary parts to load it into a rifle and bam, we have a basic rifle grenade. It isn't the best in the world, but its arcing trajectory and area damage make it quite helpful in some situations.
Resources
2 Ore, 1 Organics, 0 Contherinal, 0 Advanced components.
Spoiler: Mason Designs (click to show/hide)
It is now Design phase 2
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 03:58:35 pm »

Alright, lets push out the new armor so we can fix it in the next two revisions if we need to!

"Warrior" M1 General Purpose Power Armor (GPPA): Our current suits are not capable of fighting effectively in a war, in either the "power" or "armor" fronts. We need a new suit of armor that can be issued to every single soldier, capable of resisting enemy fire while maintaining mobility, visibility, and increased strength. The first step in this goal is replacing the bubble helmet with an armored alternative, a metal helmet with two reinforced eye slits filled with strong transparent material. In the case the eye's protective material can be penetrated by enemy fire, the soldiers will be expected to shield their eyes with their forearm when they are likely to take hits as they maneuver to cover. To such effect, the top side of the grieves will have increased thickness allowing them to act as a shield. Overall armor thickness is increased, hopefully to the point it can take multiple hits from enemy weapons at combat ranges. The exoskeleton is internalized, taking the increased weight of the armor on to itself. More of the battery input is to be directed into powering the exoskeleton, in order to increase its output and strength. We currently have no plans on utilizing the internal power source, so they're should be no harm in redirecting it to the suit itself. Users are expected to have a full range of movement, and should at a minimum be able to bring weapon sights to eye level.

Quote from: Votebox
"Warrior" M1 General Purpose Power Armor (1): Stirk

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2019, 02:55:18 pm »

Righto. That looks fine to me. Don't need fancy, just need functional.

Quote from: Votebox
"Warrior" M1 General Purpose Power Armor (2): Stirk, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2019, 09:21:28 pm »

I think we ought to go with a helmet option on that that doesn't massively reduce field of vision. We're going to need the situational awareness.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2019, 09:30:52 pm »

I think we ought to go with a helmet option on that that doesn't massively reduce field of vision. We're going to need the situational awareness.

Cameras are too expensive for general use until we get an Advanced Component node, any more open face plate leaves the head a weak-point and isn't much of an upgrade overall. It'd be different if we had some reliable bullet resistant transparent material lying around, I'm not sure what designs we have that would keep both security and visibility high.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:15 pm »

Perspex exists. I mean, it might not work for rifle rounds, but it should help enough against buckshot and pistol rounds. Just ensure the stuff is treated for strength and we're good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7