Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 4, Phase 1)  (Read 10143 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 1, Phase 1)
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2019, 09:48:19 pm »

Perspex exists. I mean, it might not work for rifle rounds, but it should help enough against buckshot and pistol rounds. Just ensure the stuff is treated for strength and we're good.

I have no idea where we are technologically, do we have access to enough plexiglass to give it to everyone without raising our Organics? We could have a stronger material available to us, but the main concern would be that much polymer use would raise our Organic cost. If we end up having to spend 2 on the suit it is as good as useless, we might as well go with cameras.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2019, 10:03:56 pm »

Well, I don't think we have access to ALON glass, so this would be the first step in trying to manufacture bulletproof glass and the like.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 01:34:45 pm »

I could see going for a larger visor, yes. Not full-face, but enough to give a reasonable field of vision.
Long Live United Forenia!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2019, 02:04:02 am »

Well, I don't think we have access to ALON glass, so this would be the first step in trying to manufacture bulletproof glass and the like.

Our level of technology is all over the place, so I have just been using “generic reinforced transparent material” when I need it.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2019, 11:12:04 pm »

Our level of technology is all over the place, so I have just been using “generic reinforced transparent material” when I need it.
Would an arcology have easy access to a source of reinforced glass? Maybe, but it feels like something that isn't common, meaning that reinforced transparent materials may add a minor advanced component cost to represent the need to scavenge it from other sources, unless you figure out a way to melt down and reinforce the materials the bubble helms are made of.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2019, 11:27:07 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
"Warrior" M1 General Purpose Power Armor (3): Stirk, NUKE9.13, Taricus

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2019, 11:31:20 pm »

Would an arcology have easy access to a source of reinforced glass? Maybe, but it feels like something that isn't common, meaning that reinforced transparent materials may add a minor advanced component cost to represent the need to scavenge it from other sources, unless you figure out a way to melt down and reinforce the materials the bubble helms are made of.

It would depend on the designs of their space ship, suits, submarines, and the arcology altogether. If they liked having windows into space or the water they'd probably have some pretty tough reinforced glass lying around.

The organics also can explicitly be turned into polymer, which you would expect basically all reinforced transparent material to be. Unless it is some weird ceramic like ALON. Which we could probably make from ores.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2019, 11:34:09 pm »

It would depend on the designs of their space ship, suits, submarines, and the arcology altogether. If they liked having windows into space or the water they'd probably have some pretty tough reinforced glass lying around.

The organics also can explicitly be turned into polymer, which you would expect basically all reinforced transparent material to be. Unless it is some weird ceramic like ALON. Which we could probably make from ores.
My thoughts exactly, and there are windows, because otherwise people are going to go insane being cramped inside 24/7. The bigger problem is finding stuff you can salvage safely without breaching the Hab zone. Pretty much the only places are areas that served as prisons or containment cells.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2019, 11:51:18 pm »

My thoughts exactly, and there are windows, because otherwise people are going to go insane being cramped inside 24/7. The bigger problem is finding stuff you can salvage safely without breaching the Hab zone. Pretty much the only places are areas that served as prisons or containment cells.

It should be something we can manufacture if we have basic industry.

If we don't have basic industry we should probably invest in it at some point :V

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2019, 10:01:18 pm »

Here is my idea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There in the spoilers, also had idea of a Engine unit for more power which means bigger suits, and 5 energy guns based around the tech listed above.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2019, 10:57:02 pm »

Here is my idea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There in the spoilers, also had idea of a Engine unit for more power which means bigger suits, and 5 energy guns based around the tech listed above.

A self-refilling biological fuel would be pretty useful. If we can make another variant that works like a battery and one that hardens to a metallic texture and can self repair, we could make an entirely Cointhanol based armor capable of long term use without extra logistical support or additional resources.

We could probably modify the Red system design with a separate “grower” tank, a smaller axillary tank designated to refueling so the pilot doesn’t have to guess how much jump time he has left. It can be used in emergencies, if needed.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2019, 01:45:56 am »

Agreed one hundred percent.

Also in my notes from my sci fi Games, the REDs System also was used to make heat Ray /burning napalm death guns. ( 4 types. Flame thrower pistol, ray gun, heavy machine gun variant and rocket launcher. Rocket being made of super condensed process so launched out to blow up and burn things.)

Thruster/refuel/ auxiliary tank is way to go though.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2019, 06:00:52 am »

Yeah, I feel like relying on a combustible material is a pretty bad idea, especially when we have better power sources. Not to mention burning something we only have a limited supply of in the first place strikes me as wasteful.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:59:16 am by Taricus »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »

Then no RED gun. But the fuel thing could stick as it self replicated in limited space, the actual redesign could be the containers have a cut off point so it never runs out. Or limited bursts as a trigger for a few moments of burst, then switched out while a new chamber of red is being deployed while old chamber defend its fuel supply.

I was just trying to make Organics useful in another way and it is based on tech wenalready have as opposed to brand new. As these arm
Races are always shit rolls if introducing something brand new from scarth.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2019, 02:30:32 pm »

Yeah, I feel like relying on a combustible material is a pretty bad idea, especially when we have better power sources. Not to mention burning something we only have a limited supply of in the first place strikes me as wasteful.

The idea of causing it to be self replicating would mean we have an unlimited supply of it, barring the supplies we need to supply to allow it to replicate.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7