Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 4, Phase 1)  (Read 10160 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 1, Phase 1)
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2020, 07:47:32 pm »

Yes we need anti armor as the field report states. Have ideas for suits and no, no more energy weapons. They would be meaningless, right now need a bigger gun to kill the Hell Houbds. Will vote on what I think makes sense.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 1, Phase 1)
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2020, 02:14:46 pm »

My take:

The Leviathan PAA Unit: A shoulder mounted launcher that has a large charge shell which the firing mechanism is a gas discharge deployment system. So can be fired underwater as well as in air.

Portable Anti Armor unit. Aside single massive explosive charges, another magazine of ordinance is a pack of three smaller war heads that scatter in a designated arc mid flight seconds after launch, for more hits. Said war heads have heavy enforced tips. Can come in explosive or a charge net just to crack open that smith armor.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 4, Phase 1)
« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2020, 02:34:19 pm »

Resources
3 Ore, 1 Organics, 0 Contherinal, 0 Advanced components.
Spoiler: Mason Designs (click to show/hide)

It is now Design phase 4
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2020, 04:52:36 pm »

I'll agree, with only 1 organics, energy weapons are going to be a long ways out. Though I should also warn, that heavy explosives will also be rather expensive due to the required organics as well. We can afford a 2-3 resource deficit and still be "expensive".

Therefore, I think we should go for a bit more of a cheaper/weaker explosive, that we can field more of. Keep the armor-piercing capabilities, but reduce the amount of splash/AoE they can do. Make it a pure armor cracker for cost reasons. That way we can afford to field more of them, and not have to try to predict where the Fenris are going to be deployed. In the situation where some explosives are fielded where fenris aren't, we can just use them to crack through armored barricades instead.

A shoulder-mounted launcher sounds good. I'm slightly leaning in favor of the Leviathan, mainly because getting the edge in underwater, and securing that extra organics, will be really useful. If the roles work well in our favor. That shouldn't be too big of an issue, since we already have grenades which should make the tech jump easier. If not, I'd suggest a revision to get either of the shoulder launchers to have underwater-capable warheads.
Not to mention wire-guided might cost an advanced component, which would reduce the number of organics we can fit on it.

Other idea:
"Vibro Knife": Taking the base knife from survival kits, we refit it with a high-frequency vibration-blade capable of cutting through armor and suits with ease. Designed more for combat, giving it a better grip and reach.
This one would likely just require a revision, and would give us an edge in underwater melees. We already have a huge advantage, as we just need to crack open the bulb helms to drown them. But advancing from just bludgeoning each other with powered fisticuffs would go a long way to speeding that take over.

A better primary, extra-mobile armor, or an anti-material rifle would also be nice, but I feel the launcher is the best bet for dealing with this immediate issue of the super heavy frames.

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2020, 05:01:12 pm »

Since it might be in poor taste to vote for someone's design but change it without any input, I'll just throw up my own quick fusion of the two launchers.

Quote from:  Third launcher variant
Mk.1 ACAM Launcher, "Sea Serpent": Cribbing notes from his two fellow engineers, another proposal lands on the chopping block. The All Conditions Anti Mech Launcher is shoulder-mounted and designed to be operated both in air and submerged. It utilizes a shaped charge to get the maximum amount of anti-armor capabilities for the amount of explosives used. Said warheads' also have shaped nose cones, giving them better hydrodynamics to allow for largely unaffected trajectories when fired underwater.
With our current excess of metal, putting extra care into the construction of the launcher itself to keep it robust and operational in harsher combat conditions should be a consideration. But overall priority is to keep the launcher no more than "expensive" in terms of resource requirements.

And just to get the process started...

Quote from:  Design Phase 4 Votebox
Gleipnir M1 HEAM Missile System: (0)
The Leviathan PAA Unit: (0)
"Sea Serpent" Mk.1 ACAM Launcher: (1): SK

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:31:51 pm by Scholar Knight »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2020, 05:18:35 pm »

I'll agree, with only 1 organics, energy weapons are going to be a long ways out. Though I should also warn, that heavy explosives will also be rather expensive due to the required organics as well. We can afford a 2-3 resource deficit and still be "expensive".

Therefore, I think we should go for a bit more of a cheaper/weaker explosive, that we can field more of. Keep the armor-piercing capabilities, but reduce the amount of splash/AoE they can do. Make it a pure armor cracker for cost reasons. That way we can afford to field more of them, and not have to try to predict where the Fenris are going to be deployed. In the situation where some explosives are fielded where fenris aren't, we can just use them to crack through armored barricades instead.

A shoulder-mounted launcher sounds good. I'm slightly leaning in favor of the Leviathan, mainly because getting the edge in underwater, and securing that extra organics, will be really useful. If the roles work well in our favor. That shouldn't be too big of an issue, since we already have grenades which should make the tech jump easier. If not, I'd suggest a revision to get either of the shoulder launchers to have underwater-capable warheads.
Not to mention wire-guided might cost an advanced component, which would reduce the number of organics we can fit on it.

Other idea:
"Vibro Knife": Taking the base knife from survival kits, we refit it with a high-frequency vibration-blade capable of cutting through armor and suits with ease. Designed more for combat, giving it a better grip and reach.
This one would likely just require a revision, and would give us an edge in underwater melees. We already have a huge advantage, as we just need to crack open the bulb helms to drown them. But advancing from just bludgeoning each other with powered fisticuffs would go a long way to speeding that take over.

A better primary, extra-mobile armor, or an anti-material rifle would also be nice, but I feel the launcher is the best bet for dealing with this immediate issue of the super heavy frames.

APA explosives should be shaped so that most of their energy goes toward the target, splash damage should already be at a minimum for any APA rocket. We just need to field enough to take care of their heavy suits, I don't think strapping a tiny knife to our own dudes and telling them to chop up a melee monster is going to be more effective than giving them a missile launcher :V

Quote from: Votebox
Gleipnir M1 HEAM Missile System: [1]: Stirk
The Leviathan PAA Unit: [1]: SK
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2020, 05:45:15 pm »

I suppose that's my mistake for making a votebox, then editing it to include my own variation.

Gleipnir M1 HEAM Missile System: (1): Stirk

APA explosives should be shaped so that most of their energy goes toward the target, splash damage should already be at a minimum for any APA rocket. We just need to field enough to take care of their heavy suits, I don't think strapping a tiny knife to our own dudes and telling them to chop up a melee monster is going to be more effective than giving them a missile launcher :V

Aye, I agree with the APA part. Which is why I made my own variation that focuses on anti-armor, rather than having just a generalized warhead with HE variants like the Leviathan.

I don't agree with the idea that we should just field enough to match their suits, though. Because it'll let us use the device more freely, and not have to try to assign the very limited number where we think the enemy will deploy theirs. This will avoid both strategic and tactical logistic issues of not having launchers where they desperately need to be. Letting roughly every squad have a single launcher will be a major way of curbing the Fenris' effectiveness. It is also a safeguard for the future. If the smith (quite likely) manage to take the mines, and get enough resources to reduce the Fenris down from very expensive to just expensive, then at the very least we will already have the equipment in place and widespread enough to deal with them.

The knife option was more specifically for underwater melee fights, and a revision on top of that, not as the main development. Currently, no-one's guns work underwater, so its already knife fights and fisticuffs down there. The Fenris is about 1-in-100 for them. So while we just utterly trounce the normal exo suits, even more so if we get a proper melee weapon, the Fenris will actually have a potent and cheap threat. Or they just use one of the two amphibious launchers to take the Fenris mechs from range.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2020, 06:00:41 pm »

I suppose that's my mistake for making a votebox, then editing it to include my own variation.

Aye, I agree with the APA part. Which is why I made my own variation that focuses on anti-armor, rather than having just a generalized warhead with HE variants like the Leviathan.

I don't agree with the idea that we should just field enough to match their suits, though. Because it'll let us use the device more freely, and not have to try to assign the very limited number where we think the enemy will deploy theirs. This will avoid both strategic and tactical logistic issues of not having launchers where they desperately need to be. Letting roughly every squad have a single launcher will be a major way of curbing the Fenris' effectiveness. It is also a safeguard for the future. If the smith (quite likely) manage to take the mines, and get enough resources to reduce the Fenris down from very expensive to just expensive, then at the very least we will already have the equipment in place and widespread enough to deal with them.

The knife option was more specifically for underwater melee fights, and a revision on top of that, not as the main development. Currently, no-one's guns work underwater, so its already knife fights and fisticuffs down there. The Fenris is about 1-in-100 for them. So while we just utterly trounce the normal exo suits, even more so if we get a proper melee weapon, the Fenris will actually have a potent and cheap threat. Or they just use one of the two amphibious launchers to take the Fenris mechs from range.

There isn't currently any reason to not match their suits, the launcher is overkill on their standard infantry that gets eaten up by our standard arms. Our infantry are already capable of holding off and slowing down the enemy suits, so long as they can do that long enough to report the location of enemy targets for those with the APA weapon to deploy. If we go back to comparing this to modern warfare, we don't give every infantry squad an anti-tank launcher since it just slows them down and they can call for fire support whenever they need it. Our infantry can respond to the presence of enemy suits, it isn't like we have to "guess" where they are.

If we don't worry about the Fenris we can just make our rifle shoot special underwater bullets :V
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2020, 07:01:57 pm »

There isn't currently any reason to not match their suits, the launcher is overkill on their standard infantry that gets eaten up by our standard arms. Our infantry are already capable of holding off and slowing down the enemy suits, so long as they can do that long enough to report the location of enemy targets for those with the APA weapon to deploy. If we go back to comparing this to modern warfare, we don't give every infantry squad an anti-tank launcher since it just slows them down and they can call for fire support whenever they need it. Our infantry can respond to the presence of enemy suits, it isn't like we have to "guess" where they are.

If we don't worry about the Fenris we can just make our rifle shoot special underwater bullets :V

Fair, it wouldn't really be necessary in most conditions, where troops are able to coordinate and are close to allied locations that would already house the stockpiles. However, having more availability would allow faster response times. It's also the difference between several squads having to pull back and draw out the firefight for several minutes waiting for the launcher, or just dealing with the fenris right then and there. Especially on the offense, where we can just lob a bunch of explosives at the enemy to quickly mulch any super heavy suits and send the rest into retreat behind less-exploded cover.

Though it should also be mentioned that our command and coordination between troops is far less than the enemy, thanks to their recently discovered relay network. That means they have a greater ability to respond to us than we do to them. Our current advantage is our baseline is universally better kitted out than theirs. Keeping that baseline higher, with the ability to knock out their primary elites more effectively, is something I think we should strive to maintain as long as possible.

In terms of modern warfare, its a bit different. While lugging around a missile launcher per squad would slow down normal human troops, let's not forget we are fielding men in heavy power armor that are also twice as strong as a normal man. The weight penalty of carrying a launcher will not impact the squad as much as it would for a normal infantry squad.

If the Fenris wasn't such a big threat, and the use of a underwater-capable harpoon rifle/self-propelled gyrojet round/whatever wasn't so specific to just two of the nine zones, I would unironicly considered the underwater rifle. However, with the case of the ACAM, I'm trying to design something that is useful in all nine of the zones. While also giving us an edge in the most finicky of the environments we are dealing with.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:05:28 pm by Scholar Knight »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2020, 02:10:56 am »

"Sea Serpent" Mk.1 ACAM Launcher: (2): SK, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2020, 12:48:40 am »

"Sea Serpent" Mk.1 ACAM Launcher: (3):SK, Taricus, TL

Okay. Given how I made a vow to not vote for my own stuff anymore leaves me wondering why the Sea Serpent is getting more love. I mean, it’s even named after the other launcher ( although a Leviathan is anything big and underwater, so whales count to.)

We already have better guns than their standard infantry. We just need to topple their bigger units.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2021, 04:38:44 pm »

Mk.1 ACAM Launcher, "Sea Serpent": Cribbing notes from his two fellow engineers, another proposal lands on the chopping block. The All Conditions Anti Mech Launcher is shoulder-mounted and designed to be operated both in air and submerged. It utilizes a shaped charge to get the maximum amount of anti-armor capabilities for the amount of explosives used. Said warheads' also have shaped nose cones, giving them better hydrodynamics to allow for largely unaffected trajectories when fired underwater.
With our current excess of metal, putting extra care into the construction of the launcher itself to keep it robust and operational in harsher combat conditions should be a consideration. But overall priority is to keep the launcher no more than "expensive" in terms of resource requirements.
Difficulty, Medium, Rolled 6, Average result.
Though a bit bigger than anticipated, the Sea Serpent is a decent weapon. With enough explosive power to challenge a Fenris, it is a potent anti Armor weapon. It's ability to operate both in and out of water is also nice, if a bit glitchy. It's unguided and thus not exactly the most accurate, and it's expensive enough that we can't deploy too many of them. Its size makes it less mobile, but it's a necessary sacrifice to let it hold enough fuel and a large enough warhead to have the desired effect.
Mk.1 ACAM Launcher "Sea Serpent"
A rocket launcher sized for power armored troops, this thing is equally effective in and out of water. Unfortunately it's rather innacurate, demanding that the user get dangerously close to a foe if they want to be certain of a hit.
1 Organics, 2 Ore
Expensive

Resources
3 Ore, 1 Organics, 0 Contherinal, 0 Advanced components.
Spoiler: Mason Designs (click to show/hide)

It is now Revision phase 4
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]