Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 4, Phase 1)  (Read 9824 times)

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Power armor arms race, Order of Mason thread (Turn 1, Phase 1)
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2019, 11:57:24 pm »

Greetings, newest Masonite engineer reporting in.

As it stands, I don't think the Contherinal has the physical capabilities, nor the infrastructure, to support large scale fuel production. As it stands, creating a strain of rapidly multiplying Contherinal would probably be a development all its own to provide 1-2 of the resource, with a probable chance of bugs in the case of over-production. Not to mention developments/revisions to make a combustible strain, and then the equipment to make use of it.

However, I do think giving our troops a capability to outmaneuver the opponent is a very important. I just recommend a simpler and more robust solution before attempting jetpacks of combustible biofuel. So here is my take:
---
Rigging Mod: Vertical-Mobility Leggings (RM:VML) "Leaper"

Rigging Mods are intended as an additional modification or upgrade kit that can be easily attached to an already existing suit, rather than being inherently included in the base suit for manufacturing or versatility reasons.

The VML, colloquially known as Leaper(s), expand off of existing exoskeleton design and external suit hard points. The VML utilizes powerful hydraulic actuators, impact dampening systems, and piston-jacks in a purpose-built exoskeleton around the legs and feet of a soldier's suit, which can be attached to the hard points of any standard soldier's suit. Charged with an organic battery, the piston-jacks on the VML are capable of supplying a substantial enough force to launch a soldier in a desired direction, usually up. This should allow our troops to travel on the vertical axis more freely. Or, by bracing themselves properly, the use of one piston-jack should also assist in breaching of doors or light obstructions.

The hydraulics and dampening systems reduce the overall stress felt on the suit while also providing a decent degree of impact-negation for the user once they land. Both to reduce the strain the VML imparts on the suit itself during activation, and to allow soldiers to worry less about suddenly launching themselves off a roof or cliff.

If possible, the VML should also have some modest metal plating or redundancy to reduce the chances of the system being disabled in combat.

And for the sake of it:
"Warrior" M1 General Purpose Power Armor (4): Stirk, NUKE9.13, Taricus, SK

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2019, 12:45:01 am »

Also, since there has been talk of need on a mid-range weapon, I'll take a crack at designing one as well.
---
Mk.1 General Purpose Storm Rifle

The Mk.1 General Purpose Storm Rifle is the first in its series, attempting to bridge the gap between the polarized engagement ranges of current Masonite weaponry.

The Storm Rifle series utilizes rounds of a larger caliber than one might expect for a typical automatic rifle. This is to give it more stopping power than a traditional assault rifle, and hopefully better armor penetration as well. In similar contrast to an assault rifle, the Storm Rifle will have a lower rate of fire to compensate for the larger rounds. Giving it manageable recoil for the typical riflemen when fired in full auto, and allowing for good accuracy when properly burst-fired.
It will have a standard 30-round magazine, with the ammunition utilizing the same style of oxidizer-including propellant of the Mk.1 Rifle to enable vacuum and underwater fire. Standard attachments include a 2x red-dot sight and hand grip.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2019, 02:18:54 am »

"Warrior" M1 General Purpose Power Armor (GPPA): Our current suits are not capable of fighting effectively in a war, in either the "power" or "armor" fronts. We need a new suit of armor that can be issued to every single soldier, capable of resisting enemy fire while maintaining mobility, visibility, and increased strength. The first step in this goal is replacing the bubble helmet with an armored alternative, a metal helmet with two reinforced eye slits filled with strong transparent material. In the case the eye's protective material can be penetrated by enemy fire, the soldiers will be expected to shield their eyes with their forearm when they are likely to take hits as they maneuver to cover. To such effect, the top side of the grieves will have increased thickness allowing them to act as a shield. Overall armor thickness is increased, hopefully to the point it can take multiple hits from enemy weapons at combat ranges. The exoskeleton is internalized, taking the increased weight of the armor on to itself. More of the battery input is to be directed into powering the exoskeleton, in order to increase its output and strength. We currently have no plans on utilizing the internal power source, so they're should be no harm in redirecting it to the suit itself. Users are expected to have a full range of movement, and should at a minimum be able to bring weapon sights to eye level.
(5, 2) 7
The warrior turns out to be a nice upgrade to our current suits more armor, more power, more survivability. It's an overall upgrade with little special about it. It is a good bit more expensive than our original version due to the increase in necessary metals. Thus it costs 3 ore, and 1 organics. Making it Expensive
Resources
2 Ore, 1 Organics, 0 Contherinal, 0 Advanced components.
Spoiler: Mason Designs (click to show/hide)
It is now Revision phase 2
[/quote]
Tech list pending update
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:57:39 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2019, 02:18:59 pm »

"Warrior" M2 Light Power Armor (LPA): Following the M1's failure at its main objective (being a power armor that could be delivered to every soldier), the M2 went into production as a lower cost alternative. The M2 reduces the amount of metal on the frame, lowering the overall bulk and production cost. Areas expected to receive less fire (such as the rear, under side of the arms, top of the head, etc) are the main focus of the reduction efforts, allowing the overall protection to vital areas to remain roughly the same. A secondary goal of this armor (very second to insuring that it is cheap enough to mass produce) is increasing mobility by improving balance and reducing mass with the reductions, allowing the Light Power Armored troops to be more mobile than the M1.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2019, 05:55:47 pm »

"Warrior" M2 Light Power Armor (LPA): Following the M1's failure at its main objective (being a power armor that could be delivered to every soldier), the M2 went into production as a lower cost alternative. The M2 reduces the amount of metal on the frame, lowering the overall bulk and production cost. Areas expected to receive less fire (such as the rear, under side of the arms, top of the head, etc) are the main focus of the reduction efforts, allowing the overall protection to vital areas to remain roughly the same. A secondary goal of this armor (very second to insuring that it is cheap enough to mass produce) is increasing mobility by improving balance and reducing mass with the reductions, allowing the Light Power Armored troops to be more mobile than the M1.

Proposal to rename the Light Power Armor series as "Skirmisher" M1.
"Warrior" series should remain the baseline infantry model. While not avaible to all infantry at the moment, it should still strive to meet a pleasant balance of power, speed, and durability. The Skirmisher series can instead focus on improving power and mobility in expense of armor.
This is to also try to mislead the standard soldier into thinking that the skirmisher series and warrior series were born at the same time using similar bases, and not realize that the Skirmisher series is in fact a stripped down Warrior series, so as not to imply that they deserve inferior kit. While also preventing logistics officers from mistakenly interpreting M2 series as an upgrade to the M1, and only ordering that.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 07:07:40 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
"Skirmisher M1" LPA: Stirk

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2019, 10:26:13 pm »

"Skirmisher M1" LPA: Stirk, Scholar Knight

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2019, 11:40:30 pm »

'Borer' Heavy Mining Suit

The advances presented in the warrior are immense in it's improvements to our exosuits, between the increased protection to the improved musculature. By civilianising the design and integrating some mining tools into the suit, we also have the base of a new resource extraction suit, enabling us to better feed the hungry forces that require more ore for the Warrior suit to become more prevalent among our forces.

"Skirmisher M1" LPA (2): Stirk, Scholar Knight
'Borer' Heavy Mining Suit (1): Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2019, 12:24:17 am »

"Skirmisher M1" LPA (1): Scholar Knight
'Borer' Heavy Mining Suit (1): Taricus, Stirk
[/quote]

If it actually gets us ore we don't have to cheap out on the suits, if it doesn't we can revise the suits next turn (and Taricus's objection will be harmed when we finally get around to crafting cat girls). Win win.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2019, 01:35:24 am »

Now for a competitor to the Storm Rifle! Janitor-chan is still on the list, if you finally came to your senses and decides to get a machine gun....

"Canon" Anti-Material Assault Rifle (AMAR): Because that designation makes sense! This weapon is a 15.2×169mm smooth bore weapon with two fire modes, the first acting as a long-distance battle 'rifle' firing armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabots capable of penetrating the enemy's frontal armor without difficulty. Its secondary defense is meant to take care of the "close range gap" some of my compatriots complain of, a canister round transforming the weapon into a high-caliber shotgun firing a significant amount of flechettes in a large cone (based off of Smith's design) that should be capable of penetrating enemy armor at close ranges. It is semi-automatic, with a 10 round box magazine for either type of ammunition and a long-recoil mechanism. Recoil is managed in part by the muzzle break, in part by the hydro-pneumatic sleeve, in part by being in power armor allowing it to be fired while standing. A 5X scope can optionally replace the sights otherwise ported from the Mk1 Rifle.

Continuing my theme of treating power armor more like vehicles than infantry, I present this baby! Based off of a man-portable weapon with ideas borrowed from much bigger guns, it should serve all our needs nicely.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 01:37:31 am by Stirk »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2019, 06:53:18 pm »

'Borer' Heavy Mining Suit

The advances presented in the warrior are immense in it's improvements to our exosuits, between the increased protection to the improved musculature. By civilianising the design and integrating some mining tools into the suit, we also have the base of a new resource extraction suit, enabling us to better feed the hungry forces that require more ore for the Warrior suit to become more prevalent among our forces.
(5+3) 8
The new 'Borer' mining suits perform admirably in their role, allowing our miners to dig deeper and safer. Pretty soon they started to pay back the ore required to make them. +1 ore in central territory. This has rendered the warrior suit Cheap.
Resources
3 Ore, 1 Organics, 0 Contherinal, 0 Advanced components.
Spoiler: Mason Designs (click to show/hide)

It is now design phase 3
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2019, 07:27:30 pm »

"Canon" Anti-Material Assault Rifle (AMAR): Because that designation makes sense! This weapon is a 15.2×169mm smooth bore weapon with two fire modes, the first acting as a long-distance battle 'rifle' firing armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabots capable of penetrating the enemy's frontal armor without difficulty. Its secondary defense is meant to take care of the "close range gap" some of my compatriots complain of, a canister round transforming the weapon into a high-caliber shotgun firing a significant amount of flechettes in a large cone (based off of Smith's design) that should be capable of penetrating enemy armor at close ranges. It is semi-automatic, with a 10 round box magazine for either type of ammunition and a long-recoil mechanism. Recoil is managed in part by the muzzle break, in part by the hydro-pneumatic sleeve, in part by being in power armor allowing it to be fired while standing. A 5X scope can optionally replace the sights otherwise ported from the Mk1 Rifle.

The Mk.1 General Purpose Storm Rifle is the first in its series, attempting to bridge the gap between the polarized engagement ranges of current Masonite weaponry.

The Storm Rifle series utilizes rounds of a larger caliber than one might expect for a typical automatic rifle. This is to give it more stopping power than a traditional assault rifle, and hopefully better armor penetration as well. In similar contrast to an assault rifle, the Storm Rifle will have a lower rate of fire to compensate for the larger rounds. Giving it manageable recoil for the typical riflemen when fired in full auto, and allowing for good accuracy when properly burst-fired.
It will have a standard 30-round magazine, with the ammunition utilizing the same style of oxidizer-including propellant of the Mk.1 Rifle to enable vacuum and underwater fire. Standard attachments include a 2x red-dot sight and hand grip.

"Janitor" M1 General Purpose MG: Using the same .303 caliber bullets as the bolt-action rifle for logistical simplicity, this air-cooled recoil-operated belt-fed machine gun is made to be reliable. It comes with one replaceable barrel and an open bolt design, allowing for sustained fire and limited weight. It is designed to replace the currently used SMGs, due to resource limits making it difficult to deploy both at once. Other features include a bipod, iron sights, and perforated barrel jacket.

Current gun designs for voting.

Quote from: Actual Votebox
Canon AMAR (1): Stirk

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2019, 02:28:33 am »

For future consideration:
Quote from: Design
"Second Wind" Emergency Derringer

Some engineers have been worrying about the potential for troops to be caught by an opponent in a situation where their current gun is either unloaded or ill-equiped to deal with the situation. Or in situations where then need just a little bit more firepower to secure a kill faster than their opponent can. This is where the Emergency Derringer is supposed to come into play.

The Second Wind itself is little more than a large barrel, action, and hardpoint. While not the most comfortable thing to shoot, it provides soldiers with a quick-draw, high-impact, back-up weapon. What's more important, is that the simplistic design enables it to be reconfigured onto different types of firing platforms. Either as a stand alone pistol, an integrated weapon on the gauntlet of an exoskeleton, or as an underbarrel attachment.
A shotgun shell is designed to be the primary ammo used, though grenade or flare payloads could also be considered.
---

With a few slight additions to the Storm Rifle, as agreed upon in discussion.
Quote from: Small Redesign

It will aim for about 20-30 rounds in a magazine, in a bullpup configuration, with exact mag size dependent on what works the best for typical operation and ease of handling by troops. The ammunition utilizing the same style of oxidizer-including propellant of the Mk.1 Rifle to enable vacuum and underwater fire. Rather than gun-specific attachments, give it some rails/hardpoints where soldiers can equip attachments of their own choice.
Finally, if possible, build in a can/bottle opener somewhere for utility and morale.

GP Storm Rifle (1): SK
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:21:47 am by Scholar Knight »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2019, 02:29:50 am »

GP Storm Rifle (2): SK, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2019, 05:04:01 am »

GP Storm Rifle (3): SK, Taricus, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7