Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PSA: easy Steam UI fix  (Read 5050 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: easy Steam UI fix
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 09:22:15 am »

It doesn't even load for me right now. I opened steam up after opening this thread, and now I've read every post and still no library.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 09:35:51 am »

The new UI breaks scrolling in the left pane. It'll scroll a few games and then stop, as if it absolutely must retrieve the images before allowing me to scroll further or something. As someone with a lot of games who occasionally scrolls through them, this is a dumb change.

It doesn't even load for me right now. I opened steam up after opening this thread, and now I've read every post and still no library.

Weird how I'm not having the issues you guys have.... Not trying to mock, just saying that I don't have those issues, somehow.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 09:50:20 am »

Restarted steam to see if it would load then (it did), was greeted by this:
Spoiler: How timely (click to show/hide)

edit: It just wanted my hardware. I thought I was going to get a chance to express my feelings. Why do all my relationships end like this :(
Love, scriver~

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 04:01:57 pm »

The new interface sucks, but it looks like you can delete all the "shelves" (by clicking their drop down arrow) and enable a "low bandwidth" mode that won't load as much junk (through "steam -> settings -> library" from the upper left corner of the client).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 04:50:32 pm »

Unfortunately you can't delete them all. Updates is the one that refuses to go away. Wonder why that is.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 08:57:52 am »

Unfortunately you can't delete them all. Updates is the one that refuses to go away. Wonder why that is.

Well, you can, but then you need to find a new place to buy vidya games. GoG is even getting less pushy about their dumb launcher, because everyone ends up wasting bandwidth by downloading the launcher version, then the good version.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 11:08:56 am »

After I rebooted and saw that unremovable "What's New" shelf, I ended up going with this approach:

Alternately, you can put steam://open/minigameslist in your web browser or add it to your steam launch icon to get small mode back without changing any of the files, though you have to redo it every time you open the client up into large mode.

-- though you can also do it by creating a new shortcut that points to steam://open/minigameslist (e.g. right click desktop -> new -> shortcut), making it much more convenient.  This is what the mini client looks like:

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 11:20:33 am »

I'd like the old list, that lets me organize it by either recently-played, or games that I have insatalled because they're the ones I want to play. "you installed this game because you want to play it, but we're going to hide it because you haven't played it before" isn't useful. It's not a problem that happens a lot (once per game), but it also happens more than it should (also, once per game). Luckily, the solution: "don't buy new games on Steam" is readily available to me.

Also, do we have a non-youtube (probably just text) explaination of editing the launcher or whatever to get the mini-thing?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 12:02:59 pm »

Also, do we have a non-youtube (probably just text) explaination of editing the launcher or whatever to get the mini-thing?

The mini-client is dead-simple, just right click the desktop (or wherever) and do this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-- to get a shortcut that'll launch the mini-client (and can be renamed to whatever you want, pinned to menus, given an icon of your choice, etc).

You can then switch to the normal large client through "view -> large mode" (but stupidly, they removed the option for the reverse).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:06:04 pm by WealthyRadish »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 12:57:22 pm »

I'd like the old list, that lets me organize it by either recently-played, or games that I have insatalled because they're the ones I want to play.
What, you mean you can't do that? Both work just fine for me.
I feel like I got a different update than half the people in this thread. It looks different, sure, but the library is functionally identical. On the left there's a list of games. If I click on a game, it opens a page for that game, with my gameplay time and a button to either install or launch the game.
Is it actually missing some functionality now, or do people just really dislike the look?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 08:18:57 pm »

I can only speak for myself, but the reasons I dislike the update:

1. It's missing small mode for absolutely no reason, since small mode actually still works perfectly fine with a workaround and should be trivial to maintain.

2. New game page is full of clutter I don't care about, I don't care about people getting cards, I don't care about other people's achievements (which btw are often spoilers), I ESPECIALLY don't care about developers streaming the game. I don't use social media, I don't want steam forcing this garbage pseudo social media on me. I might be able to accept the loss of small mode if I could remove all the clutter I don't like off this page, but you can't customize it at all it's just forced on you.

3. "What's new" tray is insulting. you can remove everything else from the page but not what's new. There is absolutely no excuse for this, I can't think of a single consumer friendly reason to make it unremoveable - it's blatantly there as an ad to sell you DLC or whatever.

4. game list on the left, then a giant cluttered mess of game box art on the right is pointlessly redundant. Why can't I have all text, or all game box art? Why do I have to have both at the same time? It's just such a wtf waste of space.

TL;DR all I want from steam is a list of games I can click on to play, they used to have an option for that and now they don't.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:26:47 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 [2]