Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED | Thank you everyone who commented!] Seemingly Endless World Rejection  (Read 816 times)

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile

Hello, I recently started playing Dwarf Fortress after a friend told me about its Adventure Mode (I love Classical Roguelikes), and I decided to install GM-X's Dark Ages III: War & Mythos since it seemed to be the only mod I have found that truly supports making Adventure Mode a scary, thrilling, and magical experience—magical being the most important of all to me since I learned that Dwarf Fortress doesn't quite have magic, yet.

I have been facing issues with world generation—so much issues with world generation that I have yet to fully experience the wonders of Dwarf Fortress, and I am sincerely hoping someone or anyone from here could help me figure out what I need to do to help Dwarf Fortress successfully create a world for me to play in.

To generate my worlds, I use the settings from Basic World Generation because I am not at all familiar with the depth Advanced World Generation provides. These are the settings I have been using:

I picked these settings because six of them were recommended to me by the wiki's guide for new players of Adventure Mode, and I enjoy playing in large worlds where exploration and discovery will be seemingly endless.

While watching Dwarf Fortress attempt to generate my worlds, I noticed these things:
  • Before rejection, Dwarf Fortress stops at placing "40" civilizations after rapidly counting down from "80" civilizations.
  • A warning about being unable to place enough civilizations appears more often than the below warning.
  • A warning about low elevation appears less often than the above warning.

If it helps, I added the contents of Dwarf Fortress's world_gen.txt below; I didn't alter a thing there since, much like the settings under Advanced World Generation, I don't know what to change there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If anyone could help me solve this, I would sincerely appreciate it.

(E: Forgot to link GM-X's DA:III)
(E2: SOLVED! I was completely ignorant of GM-X's notes and the presents under Advanced Parameters.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:11:01 pm by Fi »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seemingly Endless World Rejection
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 05:02:48 pm »

I'd expect your problems to be caused by the mod you're using, so any questions regarding it are better asked in the mod sub forum, and probably in a thread dedicated to that mod (of which I know nothing).

In general, if it fails at some place in civ placement, there are probably not enough locations suitable for the civs. A possible reason is a lot of modded cave civs rather than the normal kobold ones, but without a corresponding number of caves for them to start in.
If that's correct, increase the number of non mountain caves in advanced world gen, or reduce the number of civs.

World gen parameter settings suitable for vanilla DF may be very unsuitable for mods, depending on what they've modded.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 05:15:13 pm »

Your mod's release notes specifically say to "Use Advanced world parameters". Presumably the mod adjusts the advanced worldgen settings to produce enough of the necessary starting sites for each of its civilizations (e.g. caves, volcanoes, etc.).

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 06:02:36 pm »

I'd expect your problems to be caused by the mod you're using, so any questions regarding it are better asked in the mod sub forum, and probably in a thread dedicated to that mod (of which I know nothing).

In general, if it fails at some place in civ placement, there are probably not enough locations suitable for the civs. A possible reason is a lot of modded cave civs rather than the normal kobold ones, but without a corresponding number of caves for them to start in.
If that's correct, increase the number of non mountain caves in advanced world gen, or reduce the number of civs.

World gen parameter settings suitable for vanilla DF may be very unsuitable for mods, depending on what they've modded.

Oh, I did see something about "caves" and "cave pop" during world generation, but I didn't know those were also tied to civilizations for Kobolds. Poor little guys, I can see what I can do about the caves then report back with news.

Your mod's release notes specifically say to "Use Advanced world parameters". Presumably the mod adjusts the advanced worldgen settings to produce enough of the necessary starting sites for each of its civilizations (e.g. caves, volcanoes, etc.).

"Advanced world parameters" are under the second button where Advanced World Generation settings are, right? Do I need to adjust anything there or is it just a simple selection that I need to make there to begin world generation? There's sooo much in there that I have no idea where to even begin to adjust, what affects what, and which ones are more important than the others.

Thanks to both of you for responding by the way! ❦

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »

"Advanced world parameters" are under the second button where Advanced World Generation settings are, right?

What players call "Advanced worldgen" is actually the "Design New World with Advanced Parameters" in the menu. I imagine that the mod changes the presets (column on the right) to generate worlds appropriate for the mod, so no further "Enter advanced parameters" configuration would be necessary. Use the arrow keys to select a preset and enter to begin.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 07:08:56 pm »

"Advanced world parameters" are under the second button where Advanced World Generation settings are, right?

What players call "Advanced worldgen" is actually the "Design New World with Advanced Parameters" in the menu. I imagine that the mod changes the presets (column on the right) to generate worlds appropriate for the mod, so no further "Enter advanced parameters" configuration would be necessary. Use the arrow keys to select a preset and enter to begin.

I found what you were talking about, and it generated a large world for me with very little failures; I wish I knew there were presets there a few weeks ago that didn't need any configuration...

I can finally stop watching the screen and falling asleep here and there waiting for a world to be generated, haha. Thank you so much!