Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Solved) Help with costum reaction (I'm not an dagger ear lover)  (Read 724 times)

Vincie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Solved) Help with costum reaction (I'm not an dagger ear lover)
« on: November 03, 2019, 11:28:12 am »

Let me start with this first. Dwarf fortress is literally the best game I've played in the last 10 years atleast. Skyrim, Fallout NV, WoW, Planetside 2, countless console games, be it emulated or on original hardware from pokemon gen 1 to LoZ BOTW, be it small uncommercial developer projects like survival craft and MW:LL or all time classics alà AoE and TF2, personal favourite serieses like armored core and legacy of Kain, all of them and countless more don't come even close to what DF offers in it's most seemingly mundane aspects, for what DF does entireley different is the fact that it directly gives back part of your once abundant childhood phantasy.

You read the description of a forgotten beast, you load up Dwarf Portrait and compare the size of your dwarves with the FB and watch the onslaught as your first wave of the defensive military gets torn apart and ablazed by an enormous, purple, one eyed shrimp which breathes fire. You pause and rethink your strategy, the hard to spell name of the shrimp got even longer as it burned more and more of your citizens to nothing but ash. This is the reward you receive for your greediness, for entering the first cavern unprepared like a fool, strike the earth and it will strike back.

I play DF for about 3 months now and I still find myself playing up until 4 in the morning. I dream about DF, I wake up and think about DF, I'm sitting on the train and my idle mind takes me into Xenomon the ageless dragon world, to the fortress of Hatchetsocket, the residents suffered yet another goblin siege, the corpses of the massacre are scattered across the plane behind the outer walls, some of the gored victim's bodies ended in the murky pools which feed the water reserviour of the fortress. But behold for more insanity is yet to come.

I could go on and on, about all the details of DF, maybe only one more example, I love reading the description of engraved walls and statues, hey you even can comission what the engraving or the statue should be about/look like.

In short, THIS GAME IS THE BEST! I didn't even get much into adventure mode yet, scratched only the surface.

Now to my actual request and the reason I made an acc. I'm trying to mod in a way for elves to make wood from farmplots. So I got, [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] enabled for all entities (except subterranean people), I made a new crop and a new tree, with the idea that the crop can be planted on the farmplot and when harvested to be turned into logs of the new tree. Everything works, elves are controllable, the crop can be planted and harvested, the new tree spawns everywhere, but for the heck of it I can't figure out how to properly turn the crop into logs at a farmer's workshop. I permitted the costum reaction for elves and the job showes up in the farmer's workshop menu. Either the elves work but nothing is consumed or created, yet their thresher skill raises, or they take all plants as reagents but nothing comes out of it. The closest I got was all plants used and got just „logs“ which were colored grey (instead of green like the new tree, of which the logs are actually green) and the grey logs couldn't be stockpiled, could build walls with them tho.

Here are the strings

New crop:
Spoiler: elfplant (click to show/hide)

New tree:
Spoiler: elftree (click to show/hide)

New reaction (currently used, not working):
Spoiler: plant to log (click to show/hide)

I'm trying my best to understand reaction tokens etc. but fail at this part. What am I doing wrong, what is missing? I understand you can learn alot from simply looking at similiar raw strings. For example I simply copied the oak tree strings, changed a bit of it and renamed it Elftree, same with elfplant (it's base is ramie). [REAGENT] and [PRODUCT] are wrong, don't know the correct phrasing.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:21:27 am by Vincie »

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with costum reaction (I'm not an dagger ear lover)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 02:48:02 pm »

Try this:
Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:A:1:PLANT_GROWTH:NONE:PLANT_MAT:ELFPLANT:LEAF]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:ELFTREE:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plant:SEED_MAT]
Some wiki pages to help you out next time:
Reactions, item tokens, and material tokens.

Vincie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Solved) Help with costum reaction (I'm not an dagger ear lover)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 07:29:12 am »

Ok thank you Nahere, I got it working 100% as I imagined. Copied your string and changed the reagent part until it worked properly. My mistake was that the [LEAF] isn't actually what is stored, it's the entire [PLANT] and I mistyped the [PLANT_MAT], it wasn't "ELFTREE" but "ELFWOOD" so I got the Grey, unstorable logs at first again. I changed the names now from the plant to "Mana" and the tree to "Thelire" (simply DF elvish for plant and tree)

Here is the working reaction:
Spoiler: reaction (click to show/hide)

I'm still not 100% certain about tokens and such, will have to learn more.
thanks