Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothemaker Failure  (Read 1800 times)

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothemaker Failure
« on: November 04, 2019, 12:19:46 am »

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14598

I am using the Meph tileset from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0
along with whatever mods he included in his launcher.

I cannot figure out why my clothesmakers will not make yarn clothes.
I have wool cloth
I have the workshop
I have the orders queued for yarn clothes
I have dwarves with the labor enabled who are sitting around with no job for hours
The workshop pathing is not blocked
The workshop is not restricted to particular dwarves

The job keeps getting canceled saying it need yarn cloth, but there is wool cloth in the stockpile right above it. more than 80 of it according to stocks report on highest settings.

I am having the same problem with bone bolts and skull totems.

I am going to have to retire my fort after working on it for weeks, because I cant get dwarves to make anything.
Is  my game bugged or is it user error?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:57:16 am by Fleshbits »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Clothemaker Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 01:53:05 am »

You have the yarn cloth and the dwarfs are attempting to start the job, so the dwarfs cannot bring the cloth from that stockpile to the workshop.

Maybe the workshop is unable to take from that stockpile due to a link from another stockpile. Try linking your yarn stockpile to 'g'ive to the workshop, or search other stockpiles in case you linked one to the shop earlier. You could also build another clothier's workshop and let the dwarfs use that one to do the work.

If the full message is "Needs 1 unused dyed yarn cloth", then you need to go to 'o' 'W'  and change the setting to allow un-dyed cloth to be used.

If you have an active civilian alert, make sure the burrow covers the yarn cloth.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 04:43:25 am »

Firstly: if you're trying to figure out why jobs are cancelled, enable display of job cancellation announcements (allowing to to see "need 1 unused X cloth" messages.

Secondly: You run some kind of mod, which took me a long time to discover (when trying to remove and rebuild the clothier a weird workshop building selection with guild and whatnot workshops appeared).
My guess is that the modding is has destroyed the recognition of yarn as being yarn, so you should ask in the relevant mod thread.

Thirdly: Bins are evil. Don't use them until you know exactly when they can be used safely, or you'll get lots of cancellations (you can hide the messages, but not the effects).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 04:51:23 am by PatrikLundell »

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 08:59:19 am »

Firstly: if you're trying to figure out why jobs are cancelled, enable display of job cancellation announcements (allowing to to see "need 1 unused X cloth" messages.

updated the save to reflect this

Secondly: You run some kind of mod, which took me a long time to discover (when trying to remove and rebuild the clothier a weird workshop building selection with guild and whatnot workshops appeared).
My guess is that the modding is has destroyed the recognition of yarn as being yarn, so you should ask in the relevant mod thread.

updated the post to reflect this

Thirdly: Bins are evil. Don't use them until you know exactly when they can be used safely, or you'll get lots of cancellations (you can hide the messages, but not the effects).

Can you elaborate? Bins have been working for a long time for me until this started happening.

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:01:09 am »

Try linking your yarn stockpile to 'g'ive to the workshop, or search other stockpiles in case you linked one to the shop earlier. You could also build another clothier's workshop and let the dwarfs use that one to do the work.

neither had any effect

If the full message is "Needs 1 unused dyed yarn cloth", then you need to go to 'o' 'W'  and change the setting to allow un-dyed cloth to be used.

it doesnt and I have that setting to "any cloth"

If you have an active civilian alert, make sure the burrow covers the yarn cloth.

I dont and the burrows does.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:53:34 am »

Bins are not causing the yarn cloth problem, but they cause a lot of cancellations because access to a bin locks out all other access to the same bin during the access, and since jobs select the specific item(s) to work with, blockage of the access of an item at the time the game tries to collect it causes the job to be cancelled. Disabling notification and using the manager hides the symptoms to some extent: things just take longer than they should. Bins are partially broken and act as a newbie trap.

What I did immediately before discovering the game was modded (and hence that no DF assumptions can be relied upon) was to remove the stockpile the cloth was in, paint a cloth stockpile in the room the clothier workshop was in (i.e. around it), painting a dump zone over that in the top left corner of the room, and mass dump everything in the cloth stockpile. Cloth of various kinds were dumped, but unforbidding it allowed plant cloth to be used, but not yarn cloth, despite it now being in the same time, ordered by a re-build workshop.

A fundamental question for anyone who would try to fault find it for you is whether this suddenly stopped working (as the original post seems to indicate), or whether it never worked. If it was the former, I'd guess you've modified some mod setting to make yarn off limits, somehow. If it's the latter, the mod is likely broken.

Fleshbits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 10:48:32 am »

A fundamental question for anyone who would try to fault find it for you is whether this suddenly stopped working (as the original post seems to indicate), or whether it never worked. If it was the former, I'd guess you've modified some mod setting to make yarn off limits, somehow. If it's the latter, the mod is likely broken.

I had never changed any settings once I got things setup graphically the way I liked, in the first few months. I did fiddle with the population cap for a few years, but my fortress has been running and producing cloth items for at least 3 years prior to this happening suddenly.

The only correlation I can possibly think of, is that about the same time, I put all dwarves into squads and changed their schedules to rotate in training.

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 05:31:18 pm »

It looks like the problem here is the "dimension" value of the pieces of wool cloth in your fort. For whatever reason, yours are all non-standard. A piece of cloth is required to have a dimension value of 10000 to be used, afaik. Yours have values like 6000 - 9000. Changing the item dimension to 10000 (using dfhack's 'gui/gm-editor' when the wool cloth item is selected) for any random piece of wool cloth enables it to be counted and used when manually creating an item in Cloth workshop (Add new task -> yarn -> make yarn robe -> details -> Specify cloth -> pick a wool ).

Your cloth:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Example cloth:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Experience wise, my guess here is it would seem very buggy. Items produced in the fort would likely be fine, traded / foreign / "acquired" items wouldn't. Again, no idea how you got here (raw changes, bugs, etc). If you're willing to give dfhack a try, you could probably ask one of the nice wizards in the dfhack thread for a way to change all your thread/cloth/bar sizes to the standard values (should work). Or you could start your own shearing/spinning industry (could work). Or you could just use another type of cloth (does work).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 06:13:39 pm »

It looks like the problem here is the "dimension" value of the pieces of wool cloth in your fort. For whatever reason, yours are all non-standard. A piece of cloth is required to have a dimension value of 10000 to be used, afaik. Yours have values like 6000 - 9000. Changing the item dimension to 10000 (using dfhack's 'gui/gm-editor' when the wool cloth item is selected) for any random piece of wool cloth enables it to be counted and used when manually creating an item in Cloth workshop (Add new task -> yarn -> make yarn robe -> details -> Specify cloth -> pick a wool ).
It's possible some of his cloth has been used for health care purposes - I know for a fact that Sutures will consume small portions of Thread, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wound Dressings (and Plaster Casts) similarly consumed small portions of Cloth.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 06:26:37 pm »

Sutures are known, but dressing cloth was used up completely, I thought. However, there was a lot of traffic to the hospital, so it wouldn't be that far fetched. I never located the hospital, nor did I look at the hospital stores, but I guess if the hospital didn't have any bags/chests medical supplies would be hauled from regular stockpiles and any remains returned there, while a "properly" equipped hospital presumably would return the remaining pieces to the storage.
If someone has a working fortress with a hospital that's seen some use, I guess a look in the hospital containers might show if there are any non standard cloth pieces.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 08:39:59 pm »

...a "properly" equipped hospital presumably would return the remaining pieces to the storage.

Presumably, but reportedly not: 0003147: Heathcare dwarves return leftover cloth/thread to outside stockpile instead of hospital supplies.

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 12:18:52 am »

Can confirm, an active hospital in an unmodded game has regular dimension cloth and thread in the storage and smaller dimension cloth and thread on the floor after it's been used. It seems a bit weird that ALL of the wool in the fort has been partially used for bandages, but probably entirely possible. I didn't see anything that indicated 'partially used for X' via gm-editor. If (or since) the partially used cloth/thread is hauled back to the cloth stockpile rather than put back into the hospital, it seems like this situation would be more common?