Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Author Topic: Oldlands: Age of Dwarves  (Read 31653 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Age of Industry
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2020, 09:51:39 am »

The Antlings have traders in the eastern city. I think they should be (aggressively?) expanding trade presence to consolidate (monopolize?) influence on local commerce. If the trade is valuable enough they might be willing to fight alongside the Humans if (when?) the Giants escalate into war.

-----

Dwarf pollution from Idodur starts leaking into the western pool near the Tritons, greatly alarming them. In the absence of a strong leader to organize a response, some desperate Tritons who fear the corruption will reach the nursery pools could invoke "deep" elemental or planar powers that the group mind does not fully comprehend.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2020, 10:09:27 am »

The Antlings have traders in the eastern city. I think they should be (aggressively?) expanding trade presence to consolidate (monopolize?) influence on local commerce. If the trade is valuable enough they might be willing to fight alongside the Humans if (when?) the Giants escalate into war.

-----

Dwarf pollution from Idodur starts leaking into the western pool near the Tritons, greatly alarming them. In the absence of a strong leader to organize a response, some desperate Tritons who fear the corruption will reach the nursery pools could invoke "deep" elemental or planar powers that the group mind does not fully comprehend.
+1, This makes more sense that if the Antlings have trade, they would use them

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2020, 02:05:23 am »

-----

+1, This makes more sense that if the Antlings have trade, they would use them
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
Oldlands: Age of Strife
« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2020, 06:05:30 am »

"So help me here, is this pig tail or cave wheat?"
"...It's a rat weed, sir."
"Oh, is it now? And the fark is a rat weed doing in the fargin' underground farm?!"
The farmer foreman just pointed up, at the sunlamps. "I told you already sir. Council's orders. It's imported plants for this field."
"Right. I see now. You think I'm daft, Foreman Feb? Look at me! You think I'm daft?"
"No, sir inspector, I don't."
"I know you got the fargin' orders. I'm asking, why of all crops, rat weed? Next year it's Idodur's 50 years since founded, and the mayor's holding a banquet. Are you saying he gotta treat his guests to sewer brew? Why?"
"Because..." the foreman's voice trailed off as he mumbled something about high drainage.
"Speak up! I can't hear you!"
"Because it's the only crop that doesn't die in this soil!"

The farms below Idodur were indeed struggling. The local plump helmets had long since gone by the nickname "poop helmets" for their sickly brown color instead of the healthy purple. And Feb wasn't lying: the only surface plant to thrive in the polluted soil was rat weed. It was the Ratlings who introduced the hardy plant here, and though it wasn't exactly gourmet's choice, the cooks were slowly adapting Idodur's common cuisine towards its use as the new staple food.

Feb signed the inspection papers and shrugged when the inspector said he shouldn't expect a subsidy this year. Truth be told, he and his work crew were all considering moving to the upper west caves. With the current state of affairs, Dr. Endokineth's farm enterprise had made the scientist both famous and rich, and there was money to be made working for him. And yet, Feb wasn't sure, he could swear something was off about the recruiters who came yearly into Idodur's central hub. Perhaps instead he'd be able to land a clerk job in the New Tursong area? How hard could it be?

Dr. Endokineth glanced at the blackboard full of equations and diagrams. No, this would not do. He needed a simpler way to present things.
"Let me get this straight, doc." Mayor Tirist looked just as irritable; he didn't like things he couldn't understand. "You built a machine... powered by electricity, that helps us do... what?"
"It's not made for a specific task, Mayor. It can move and manipulate things. It's just as strong as a dwarf, and I've been working on improving its endurance..."
"How do you control it?"
"It understands simple orders. It doesn't have much of a mind, but you can order it to till soil or haul loads, and suddenly one dwarf with two of these can work seven fields instead of one. Any they can also cut stone, chop wood, stand at the bellows..."
"Doctor Endokineth", Mayor Tirist said with a sigh. "We have dozens of unemployed dwarves eager to work. We don't need these... how'd you say they were called?"
"Automatons."
"Automatons. And I thought you were working with plants. To improve harvests."
"I was working with plants. You see, the bottleneck in my research was not having efficient generators and capacitors. Automatons are true marvels of engineering, but they do require a lot of power. I tried many solutions and it is the plant studies that gave me a breakthrough."
"Uh-huh?"
"I won't bore you with the details, Mayor, suffice to say it involves natural-grown plant matter with strong piesoelectric properties. As for improving harvests... I sincerely believe that working seven fields instead of one might, in fact, produce a larger yield."
"Our field hands will not be happy about machines stealing their jobs."
"Oh, about that? Let them know I am hiring."

The newborn Republic jumped at the chance to trade with the Hive. The insect people brought exotic honeys, natural rubber, cleaning oils, high-quality ceramic goods and sturdy silk fiber not unlike that of a giant cave spider; apparently it was made by some kind of colossal larva for its own cocoon, or so the traders said. In exchange, they took steel picks, construction tools, bucklers, blades and nails. Evidently, producing quality steel wasn't one of the Hive's strong sides: even their weaponry seemed to be an exotic mix of nonmetal stuff, from primitive slings to advanced spear-throwers utilizing compressed air, to some kind of acid-spitting baton weapon and a very compact yet powerful explosive.

The humans were much interested in acquiring its formula, or at least buying a stock of the explosive itself—for mining purposes—but Antling traders would not sell. However, it saw use once when an Antling caravan was ambushed in the mountains by a rogue band of Giants. Although the tribe denied responsibility, some of the stolen goods later surfaced on the sparse Human-Giant market whereas Giant artisans were rumored to work on a new cannon that loaded a new kind of explosive shell. Whether they actually analyzed the substance, or somehow extracted the formula from a captive Antling, was anyone's guess. (Antlings, though capable of independent thought, are hive creatures and literally unable to betray the collective.)

The dwarves, conversely, were uninterested in the Antling goods. Foodstuffs remained their sole import, though efforts were made to diversify the sources and create large stockpiles such as the new dry goods vault built in New Tursong. Due to increasing pollution, their own ability to produce food was mediocre at best, allowing Sodel's corporation to gradually monopolize the entire agrarian sector of the economy. Allowing that to happen was the council's most grave mistake, as Sodel realized he had them pinned to make almost any demand he cared to.

Over the years, lured by the promise of good pay and quality accommodations, dozens of Dwarves, Ratlings and especially Theliiri flocked under the corporate banner as the company expanded its product lines until its self-sufficiency rivaled that of the state. It even had its own armed force, independent of Idodur's rule in all but name.

But it was not enough for Sodel Endokineth. He was going to rule the Oldlands himself.
Spoiler: Map by 122 (click to show/hide)
(As there is no unclaimed land left, I'm doing away with displaying spheres of influence and instead show possible border split between factions.)
The Age of Strife is nigh! The playing board is set, but only some of the players are ready. Choose two belligerents to make their move:

• Giants. Their new mortar weapon might bring the Republic to its knees in a blitz conquest!
  • Eco-faction. The anti-pollution movement takes up arms to topple the industrial elite!
  • Antlings. They want disproportionate retribution for their destroyed caravan!
  • Dwarves. Idodur's army marches on the upper west cave to put this upstart Sodel in his place!
  • Sodel. The automaton army was only the beginning...
  • Goblins. A vile force of darkness has arrived! They have guns. Lots of guns.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:52:29 am by Murphy »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Age of Strife
« Reply #304 on: July 29, 2020, 06:17:20 am »

Giants
Goblins
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2020, 06:20:50 am »

Goblins
Antlings
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 29, 2020, 07:10:03 am »

Eco faction
Sodel
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:07:00 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 29, 2020, 08:41:02 am »

Sodel
Goblins

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 29, 2020, 11:20:01 am »

Goblins
Antlings

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 29, 2020, 01:56:35 pm »

Antlings
Sodel

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 01, 2020, 06:11:55 am »

In the spring of 122, an ancient cave was surveyed by a team of explorers from Sodel's corporation, soil samples taken in order to determine its possible use for farming. However, the soil seemed completely sterile, with no traces of even microbial life. No explanation to the fact was ever found, and it was decided to use the place for an industrial dump. (This is the very cave where the Eel of Decay once dwelled.)

In the summer of 122, caravaneers of Runataran Republic brought rumors that a new goblin leader, Azstrog II the Vicious, is gathering an army for a great conquest. The looming ghost of war, for the first time in three decades, caused all factions to mobilize their military reserves for retraining. The weapon of choice for contemporary soldiers was the bolt-action rifle, which had been in mass production since 119, replacing older muskets and breechloading firearms.

In the autumn of 122, once it became certain that an attack on the valley is imminent next spring, most local cities saw heavy rise in anti-Goblin sentiment. At least two Goblin visitors were injured in a shootout at Greenhouse Square in Central Town. On 17th of Timber, Idodur's ruling council issued a decree on preemptive detainment of any Goblins residing within the city.

In the winter of 122, weapon tests were confirmed to be taking place within the Giant fortress. Distant observers reported plunging artillery fire being used to demolish a lone hill east of the valley; it seemed to come from an ordinary mortar battery, with range and rate of fire similar to known models, but with a far superior blast power.

In the spring of 123, elements of Azstrog's army arrived in the valley, approaching from the northwest. Possessing expert pathfinders, they were able to march unopposed through wilderness along the Anlaran border, and establish supply chains necessary to lay siege to Runataran cities. As far as could be told, there was no conclusive military response from Bok-Anlar.
Spoiler: Map by 123 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Faction stats (click to show/hide)
Oh, and I guess Theliiri ditch their tribal masks for the first time in history.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:38:52 am by Murphy »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2020, 11:40:18 am »

Oh, this is back up again! Nice!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2020, 05:46:20 pm »

It did not take long for Idodur to respond to Sodel's declaration of independence. As it would take time to muster the regular army, it was decided to give this to the new dwarven special force. The Dungeon Rangers, spiritual successors of the monster slayers guild, consisted of trained marksmen and pathfinders, and their task was to assess the enemy and weaken it if possible. They managed to destroy some automatons and raze the outpost threatening the safety of the railroad, thus preventing Sodel from being able to intercept or sabotage inbound supply trains.

The Antlings, with reinforcements fresh from the homeland, struck a blow against the Giant fortress; they hadn't the numbers nor the resources to assault the walls yet, but they led a successful sortie to clear out the outlying area, whereas the Giants responded with mortar fire upon the market square with Antling wagons—the first civilian casualties of the war and a cause for outrage across Runataran cities. From now on, there was no room for peace between Giants and Humans either.

At the same time in the west, there was just not much the besieged city could do to ward off the imminent assault. Though the Republic's military strength was comparable to that of the invading force, it remained distributed and distracted, threatening defeat in detail. For that reason the uneasy decision was made to evacuate the city. Thankfully, the leaders had the foresight to prepare for this eventuality, and were able to evacuate much of their industry, destroying the rest to avoid it falling into Goblin hands.

As Azstrog's forces stormed the city above, Sodel put his plan in motion. Detachments of mechanized troops were sent to seize control of the dungeon entrances, securing a measure of safety against possible attacks from the surface. The greenhouse, unfortunately, would have to be forfeit for being impractical to defend. No matter. Sodel would rebuild it later. Now he took the main shaft and the library of Asteshdatan, his troops pushing back the city's defenders. Though thwarted from accessing the railroad, he solved the problem by attacking and seizing its endpoint—the station.
Spoiler: Map by late 123 (click to show/hide)
Later in the year, the war ground into a stalemate. Having expended their initial resources, all sides were now busy digging in and fortifying their new positions. As the fighting died down somewhat, several unexpected events transpired over the course of long arctic winter in the valley.

The Republic, using its off-map assets, arranged to expedite testing for its own kind of new weapon. Recently, Runataran engineers worked to perfect the design of a new engine, far more powerful than steam engines used in railway trains or electric motors of Dwarven make. The original intention was to use them for marine propellers and dirigibles, but the idea of a self-moving wagon had long since occupied Human minds. It was already going to revolutionize land trade, but now minds had turned to possible military applications. An artillery piece with more mobility? Yes please.

The Tritons, alarmed by waste seeping into their pools, sent scouting parties out into inhabited caves. Though none of them possessed the raw psychic power necessary to mask their presence unassisted like their Matriarch, they had many other ways to stay unseen, even to the keen eyes and noses of the Theliiri. But as they ventured past Ineth Nil, they were not prepared to see what they saw. Taint everywhere! The smoke of forges, endlessly churning out instruments of destruction! And echoes of battle above. They knew it was only a matter of time before they had to defend themselves.

The west extents were fortified with crystal walls erected by the builder-caste, the shapes grown within the water and molded in a process they themselves understood only instinctively. A colony of saffronwash, species of sea sponge known for its ability to filter the water was carefully collected from the subterranean sea and placed in the affected pools along with nutrients for it. And Yantar'Eryovl's most talented scouts were tasked with long-term observation of the dwarven lands, relaying everything they learned back to the crystal city.

Meanwhile, conflict was indeed ripe in the dwarven nation. A meeting was held between leaders of the eco-faction and the guilds' council about regulating the use of underground water reserves. Careless waste, the ecologists argued, has already led to war by allowing Sodel to nearly monopolize food production. Now, if the guild council was to invest in water purification tech, declare all water bodies east of New Tursong as protected, necessarily moving the textile factory into the far west, and grant the eco-faction a seat on the council, they would in return lend their full support to the state against Sodel's rebellion.

It was not to be. The eco-faction leaders were accused of fostering a rift in dwarven society. Martial law dictated that attempting to challenge the council's authority in a time of war equated to treason, and the council refused to negotiate with traitors, let alone recognize the eco-faction as an equal. All of its ambassadors were thrown into prison for their "crimes" and summarily executed the next day.

Unfortunately, it had quite the opposite effect: the remaining eco-fighters in Asteshdatan, Kadbash Atol and Ineth Nil rose up with overwhelming support from local population, declaring independence with a provisional government. All of the state's assets in their territory were seized, the textile factory closed down and its infrastructure repurposed for needs of defense. Along the cracks in its core, the dwarven nation was breaking up into chaos.
Spoiler: Map by 124 (click to show/hide)
Unbelievably, I got three successful knowledge rolls on a d20, for Dwarves, Humans and Tritons. Thus they all got special events which, yeah, took some time to work out. The Dwarven event, as we see above, is not beneficial. Knowledge does not always lead to stability.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:18:55 am by Murphy »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 22, 2020, 09:39:55 am »

*poke*
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 02, 2020, 10:31:04 am »

Hrm. It's been an extremely busy couple of months, but I plan to return to this soon!
Sorry I've been completely quiet, I'm just reluctant to make posts without an actual update to accompany them.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25