Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: Oldlands: Age of Dwarves  (Read 32284 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Age of Decay
« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2019, 12:33:50 am »

Quote from: Reply 110
The arboreal proto-elves called Theliiri were one of the younger species in this world. They had prehensile feet, pointy catlike ears and a green thumb (that last one is not literal). Some of them also possessed the ability to draw sustenance from trees as well as mold living wood into any shape necessary.

Yes they are weird cat-like elves, and since they are living furries their expected life expectancy is going to drop to a very low number by the events chosen by us. They also caused the dragon to be killed, another reason they deserve extermination.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2019, 12:37:58 am »

Question, you said the Thelliri are beast elves? What types of beast to they most look like? Are they like the DR animal people?

At one point I think they were called "cat-like". Ill see i'f I can find the quote.

Edit: Found it

The arboreal proto-elves called Theliiri were one of the younger species in this world. They had prehensile feet, pointy catlike ears and a green thumb (that last one is not literal). Some of them also possessed the ability to draw sustenance from trees as well as mold living wood into any shape necessary.

Not quite sure what "prehensile feet" look like though.
Thank you. I think prehensile feet might mean feet thst can grab onto branches, like prehensile tails on non-ape primates

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2019, 12:39:59 am »

Quote from: Reply 110

Yes they are weird cat-like elves, and since they are living furries their expected life expectancy is going to drop to a very low number by the events chosen by us. They also caused the dragon to be killed, another reason they deserve extermination.
Just because Fal is terrible doesn't mean that all furries are. Additionally, I'd like to note that having humanoid animal races is fairly common in fantasy, with catpeople being one of the primary types (ex. Khajiit, Tabaxi), these guys being cat-elves does not actually make them furries.
While I will not argue with your other statements (I, too, wanted the dragon to stick around longer), they don't deserve extermination. They just need to learn to play nice with others.

Not quite sure what "prehensile feet" look like though.
It means monkey feet. Basically imagine you had a thumb instead of a big toe.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2019, 07:24:51 am »

Question, you said the Thelliri are beast elves? What types of beast to they most look like? Are they like the DR animal people?
Theliiri most resemble monkeys or lemurs. They have fuzzy pointed ears that could be described as cat-like, and feral mannerisms, but they are not cat-people. They also only have partial fur and no tail or claws.

Throughout 73, the manticore hunted, the humans kept expanding and Ÿare bred giant lizards to use for experiments.
Spoiler: Map by 74 (click to show/hide)
Next year was more of the same. Much of the grove had been devastated, and many outlying settlements lost to the winter. The manticore was now the proud owner of elven treasures (and a parent).

The humans decided to spend some of their hard-earned supplies to add a unique construction to their underground city: a fighting arena. Some of the miners would rather prefer a brewery, or better yet, support structure for the decaying tunnels, but in this city, you had to do what the boss says, at least until you think you can murder the boss.

A group of night creatures called lamias moved into Ineth Nil's ruins, looking for prey but finding none; they were still eager to find refuge from the cold as Ineth Nil still had its warm springs, and its furnaces were intact with a good-sized coal storage. For now they would bide their time and wait for another group to stumble upon their lair.
Spoiler: Map by 75 (click to show/hide)
The chronicles offer a few different accounts on what happened next.

Some historians claim that a chance for salvation came in the form of a human vagabond, a Northerner who passed the grove on his way south. A former resident of the valley and a war veteran, he offered the Theliiri queen a map of the underground complexes below; following it they found their way to Ineth Nil two seasons after. This version explains how Adela knew the location, but doesn't explain why a former enemy would help the Theliiri.

Others argue in their writings that the map was stolen by the elves from Asteshdatan ruins and lost in the druidic library until it resurfaced in the spring of 75. The beast-elves were already planning an exodus out of the valley, and upon finding the map they merely changed the destination. This version, though more realistic, has very little basis in any surviving documents or chronicles regarding that era.

Either way, the Theliiri now had to drive the lamias out of the city.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:57:09 am by Murphy »

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2019, 10:13:08 am »

Many tribesmen had been lost on the way to Ineth Nil. A few warriors took on the suicidal mission of distracting the manticore to let everyone pass through its territory; then they barely avoided a fight with its offspring, and now, there were lamias.

Still, Adela and the few surviving fighters stepped forward to protect the remnants of their tribe. The creatures of the night would not give them a battle, though. Instead they lurked in the gloomy tunnels of Ineth Nil, away from sight but ready to strike the moment there was no guard. The next season was not at all easy, but at least now they had warmth, and there were few enough survivors that food was not a problem.

Eventually, the lamias fled the city, taking some kidnapped Theliiri men with them to transform into servants and produce offspring. (The lamias follow the Night Troll means of reproduction.)

The queen commanded her people to start fortifying and rebuilding the city. She personally examined the old foundries built by the dwarves. Though she could read Dwarven, it turned out there were few written records; instead the history of the dwarven people was immortalized in engraved stone.

The architecture told her much more. There were airways through which hot air from a foundry circulated below the living floors; when this industry produced metal, it also warmed the houses. There were aqueducts to reroute water that (presumably) seeped from the ceiling in wet seasons. There was a functional sewer. There was a clock tower.
"If only the Theliiri were up to working these machines..."
Perhaps, with her guidance, they could.
Spoiler: Map by 76 (click to show/hide)
    From now on the Theliiri are no longer a surface dweller group and the humans are rapidly growing to be a dominant force in the region, which makes it possible to end the Age. Make a choice:
    • Schism. A group splits off from Galkagaval and founds a settlement on the surface. The Age of Decay continues.
    • Scavengers. Two groups of Ratlings arrive on the map to scavenge and fight. The Age of Decay continues.
    • Adventure. A 3-strong group of Dwarves goes on an adventure starting from the Dwarven enclave. If any of them survive and bring back treasure, the Dwarves experience a renaissance. If not, the dwarves lose 1 population and their artifact shield, and the Age of Decay continues.
    • Undeath. Ÿare discovers the secrets of life and death and begins creating an army of minions. If he survives the year, the world will experience a new Age of Villainy (with Ÿare as the Lich King). Skeletal dragons optional.
    Age-ending options will become more prevalent with the passage of years (assuming it doesn't end this time).

Glass

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #215 on: December 04, 2019, 10:15:39 am »

Can we have both Adventure and a Schism?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
    • Urist McCarpenter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #216 on: December 04, 2019, 10:21:01 am »

Adventure

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
    • Lazy half-ass
      • View Profile
    « Reply #217 on: December 04, 2019, 10:22:40 am »

Can we have both Adventure and a Schism?
    Options that haven't been chosen may reappear later. Though note that the adventure option has a chance of ending the Age instantly.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #218 on: December 04, 2019, 10:25:34 am »

Schism

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #219 on: December 04, 2019, 10:29:31 am »

Scavengers

Glass

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #220 on: December 04, 2019, 10:58:39 am »

Schism.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • Soothly we live in mighty years!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #221 on: December 04, 2019, 12:05:33 pm »

Adventure!
    Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
    tormenting the player is important
    Sigtext

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
    • Just a smol Angel
      • View Profile
    « Reply #222 on: December 04, 2019, 01:12:09 pm »

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
    • Resident Wisenheimer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #223 on: December 04, 2019, 02:29:48 pm »

Schism

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
    • Urist McCarpenter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #224 on: December 04, 2019, 02:52:53 pm »

Personally i lean More towards Adventure but i would also Like to See a schism.
    Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25