Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building in Water?  (Read 3598 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building in Water?
« on: November 13, 2019, 05:56:49 pm »

Is there a way to build in water?  Outside of waiting for the water to freeze and then digging down to the bottom of the water/ice during the winter?  (And I am specifically talking about the ocean with 7/7 depth.)
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building in Water?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 06:10:29 pm »

Yes.

- You can use pumps to pump water away sufficiently to build stairs down from which the dorfs can build walls in adjacent tiles pumped free of water, but you need a fair bit of pumping power, and you probably risk dorfs being swept into the water.
- You can also build from the bottom up by dumping magma into the ocean. This results in an obsidian tile that sinks to the bottom. The next lot of magma dumped causes a new obsidian tile to be formed and fuse with the one below it. Note, though, that there are risks from the displaced water flushing things away.

In both cases you need to build structures out from land to the building site to support the task.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 07:34:32 am »

If there is an aquifer below the ocean, you can also use that, by causing the ocean to fall into the aquifer at multiple locations on the map, then the ocean floor slowly becomes exposed. If you use this method, ensure you install and pre-test floodgates or bridges to block the water flow so your ocean can return, along with your FPS.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 07:56:33 am »

ahhh, good old fashioned manual pump labor does a lot for you.

dumping ocean into aquifer will help keep dwarves from excess water, as will digging into the ocean from below, and either channeling it to an aquifer or an isolated cavern segment.  walling off a corner and dumping all the water into it is a net gain if you make a large enough drainage pipe.

really though, the same pumping methods used for aquifers work on oceans.  you can build down by draining water and building adjacently or you can drop magma as mentioned above.

ever look up mermaid farming or giant whale/squid/kraken farming?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Five chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 03:32:10 pm »

I'm getting ready to try to drain my river long enough to retrieve the corpses of three dwarves who perished in an unfortunate bath house accident.  I'm digging out a 19x22 by 11 deep area for reservoir purposes, I have a wall grate and floodgate installed and connected to a nearby lever.  All I'll have to do is channel out one little square next to the mouth of the river.

What could possibly go wrong?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 07:08:39 pm »

Well, having a large reservoir is good but, does it have an outlet? Rivers can be very generous with the amount of water they give...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?