Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Increasing embark sites that have contact with all races  (Read 381 times)

Conor891

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Increasing embark sites that have contact with all races
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:46:36 pm »

Hello,

One thing I have been struggling with lately especially in large worlds is that most embark locations only seem to have contact with one or two races besides dwarves. Most places also seem to have no contact with goblins which I'm guessing would mean I would never get sieges which would make half of the world too boring to settle in.

What's the best way to increase the amount of regions that have all contact? I think I remember it used to be that you would always have contact with a race if they were unobstructed by mountains or water but it seems to rely a lot on distance now.

Should I increase the civilization count? Is there a raw file to change or a dfhack plugin I can use? Let me know.Thanks!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing embark sites that have contact with all races
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:01:04 pm »

Run a world history for longer. Goblins are set up to take over rather than dwindle (although the latter can sometimes happen).

Also, these days you can provoke your far off goblins by kicking them first with a raid.

Also, produce regions rather than island maps. Civs can't (usually) cross the ocean yet.

With some raw tweaking, yeah you can make sure there's a hundred gobbo civs and only one each of everyone else. Assuming dwarves survive history, there should be plenty of Fun spots to embark.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:02:49 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing embark sites that have contact with all races
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:03:56 pm »

Well, the range for major civs is 30, and towers/kobolds 10 tiles (diagonals included). So pocket and small regions you have to deliberately go out of your way for not everyone to be able to reach everyone. You can stick with large worlds, but might want to exert some control over the world - I use PSV maps wiith 0-30 savagery and appropriate biome in specific places for picking civilization start locations.

As for the goblin sieges, as long as they aren't over ocean, you should be able to raid them and estabilish contact this way. Though they then have to choose to come.

Peaceful relations are possible to similarly obtain from other civs sometimes by asking for one-time tribute, but this can start wars so less guaranteed.